4401 South Texas Avenue
Bryan, TX 77802Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cafeeccell.com/
- Phone: 9795997929
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andreas Dallis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cafe Eccell accepts catering events. Please call with your interest.
- Private Party Facilities: Cafe Eccell will book parties from 5-300 people. Please call with your inquiry and let Cafe Eccell's large party coordinators book your event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Dallis 9798467908
A word from Cafe Eccell
Open since 1989, Cafe Eccell is an integral part of College Station's landscape. Cafe Eccell bills itself as a "fresh seafood bistro". The various seafood entrees reflect multi-regional and fusion cuisines. The seafood is shipped in fresh four times weekly to ensure quality and freshness. Chilean Sea Bass, Pacific Ahi Tuna and various others are offered. Award winning dessert, homemade mesquite fired pizzas, CERTIFIED ANGUS BEEF, and a full bar and wine list round out this surprising culinary gem halfway between Houston and Austin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe Eccell - Best Restaurants in College Station ›
Cafe Eccell reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (11)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (9)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (6)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- A Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014I took my girlfriend to the old location for our first date, and then to the new location for our 1 year anniversary. I like the revamp. The food was good and the ambiance was great. The noise level was on the lower end of the moderate side, but nothing obtrusive. The service was a little slow, but we went right in the middle of the dinner hour. It wasn't abhorrent. I'll definitely be a repeat customer.Special Features:
- Review from Ring Day weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Food was good, but the restaurant was clearly overwhelmed by the number of people there. We had booked a reservation 3 weeks earlier and when we got there, we still had to wait over 40 minutes to get a table. Was very loud, and a little sad that menu had changed from other location. And we had hoped to get a cognac at the end of the night (available at the old place) only to find out that they don't have that available anymore. Will try this place again, as it had been a favorite when at the old location, but may wait a while and hope things improve a bit.Special Features:
- Welcome Back!JanKVIPDined on 9/14/2014So happy that this place has found a new home and re-opened. Much more spacious than before, great service and very well-prepared dishes. The new digs are going to be great!Special Features:
- Service needs some kinks worked outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very good. Good menu, not overwhelming. Unfortunately, they were not ready for the "game day" crowd. One wait staff for at least 5 large parties. One of the parties left before they got their order taken. By the time we left, it was evident that the manager had stepped in and pulled another person from the wait staff to assist and the service improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No recommendationDisappointedDined on 9/13/2014The Caesar Salad had no flavor, no anchovies at all & part of the lettuce was brown with parts of the core in it. Was told they did not have a pepper mill so no cracked pepper said they had moved 3 weeks ago & had not had time to get one. I had made a reservation but was given a small table in the corner when we asked to be moved we were told no that the tables in the area we asked about had been reserved and no other offer was made even with lots of empty tables around us. The old location is gone which I understand but a new location is no excuse for lower quality. We have been eating there for at least 15 years but probably will be awhile before we go back if ever. I will warn friends not to expect old service or food quality.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodFitFoodieDined on 9/13/2014I wasn't expecting much on game day, but the quality of the food rivaled some of the best restaurants I've ever experienced. We managed to please teenagers, vegans, and gluten-free dieters with appetizers and outstanding entrées. Our server went out of her way to change the channel on the nearby TV to the football game we wanted to watch. We will be back every time we visit our Aggie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ReturningrerequestorsDined on 9/12/2014Making a reservation online was a smart move, since walk-ins were told they had at least a 20 minute wait. Wish there were different menus for lunch and dinner. Soft drinks should not be long to arrive. There was much activity throughout the seated areas, giving you entertainment while waiting. Our food was good. I did re request a menu so that I could remember the components of what Still we will return to sample more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad they are backFoodgurlDined on 9/12/2014There are so few places with fresh fish as well as an inventive menu in BCS. Cafe Eccell did not miss a beat as far as the service and quality of food that was the norm at their previous location. If you haven't tried the chocolate tart, you don't know what you're missing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unhappyGrumpyDined on 9/12/2014Food for two of four pretty. Entree was brought very soon after salad. Pasta was crisp from warming light. Fish cooked so hard that it had to be cut with a knife . Will not return
- NoisymssuzumacDined on 9/12/2014This was our third visit back to the newly reopened Cafe Eccell. We found it too noisy to talk, our waitress was very stressed, food just ok, and most importantly my martini filled about 1/3 of the martini glass. When I asked the waitress about it she just gave me a blank stare.Special Features:
- Amazing foodtxdinerDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed lunch a few times and love the convenient location, atmosphere and delicious food! If going for lunch, be sure to have a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New location, but not a better menuHBC02CVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu needs to be revitalized. The "new" has very few new choices. The signature strawberry tart is still decent. The wine list is unimaginative,
- Getting the check was a challengeunhappyDined on 9/8/2014AFter nice conversation with friends, we waited a good thirty minutes for our check while our waiter bussed tables and flitted around the room doing other things AFTER he had picked up our cards. This was totally uncalled for and made a very nice experience into a frustrating one.Special Features:
- The new Eccell lacking in flavorlovegoodfoodDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I decided to try out the new location. We have been to the old location a few times. We weren't very impressed with the food. The tuna appetizer had a ton of mayonnaise and you didn't get a lot of ahi tuna for the $15 price. My street tacos lacked flavor and came with a side of plain white rice (maybe some beans would have made the side better) and my husband said his gyro was okay. My cocktail was tasty (Bryan Texas breeze) and so was our tart dessert. We were disappointed and will probably try the pizza before we only come here for drinks and dessert. The new restaurant is beautiful, but if they want to fill that space, they need to do better in the kitchen. Our server was great and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Bad Service and over cooked FishAlanDined on 9/4/2014It's an OK kinda a place.Ordered a grilled Snapper which came overcooked and the Crab cake was Ok the.only thing that was good was a Pizza also the pricing of all the items are very High.Special Features:
- DisappointedTravelerDined on 8/29/2014We have always loved Cafe Eccel but we were disappointed upon coming back after their reopening. The place was done up very very nice but they changed the menu. The red snapper was very disappointing from what they used to make. Also the ribeye was very chewey and over cooked. The service was not very good but I believe we had a brand new young waiter which deserves another chance if he was new but maybe they should train him during the week. We were there on Friday night. Also ordered the creme brûlée and it was served cold. Sure hope they bring back some of old menu. Very disappointing to spend $160 on that kind of meal. MAybe we should stick with pizza.Special Features:
- As good as it used to be!SnickerdoodleDined on 8/29/2014We ate old favorites: Greek salad, Barbeque chicken pizza, tarts and wine......a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great but getting thereJaneVIPDined on 8/27/2014#1 late Saturday night ( liked that it was still open) . I ordered the filet. It came overlooked and on a plate with a hunk of mashed potatoes and a small bunch of green beans. It looked like a Luanne platter from the old Lubys ( minus the roll). The server was nice but inexperienced. #2 early Sunday evening. Sat in the bar and had a great drink and the Voodoo salmon which has always been a favorite and was excellent. Service great. #3 early on a Tuesday evening. I had the snapper which was perfectly cooked on a bed of saffron linguine and garnished with avocado slices. It was a beautiful presentation and was delicious. Our waiter was overwhelmed as he kept getting busier. We waited a LONG time to get our credit cards back after payingSpecial Features:
- Bar service not greatalwayseatingDined on 8/24/2014I thought the drink menu was good, but the prices are higher than they should be and don't match the prices of the food. I paid $10 for a martini that didn't even make it to my table until I was halfway through dinner (I ordered it first). When it arrived, there were 2 HUGE olives stuffed with Bleu cheese (delish), but the glass was barely half full. If you took out the olives, it was about a 1/3 of the way full. That was disappointing, especially after I saw the price. I wouldn't go there for beverages, but dinner was amazing and affordable and dessert cannot be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014This was our first experience and perhaps we were expecting to much. Based on what we saw, it's a pizza and burger place, much like a sports bar. We'd do it again if we were looking for that experience.Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the Cafe Eccell reviews archive.
- Best desert in BCS!MANDYVIPDined on 2/25/2014We always enjoy Cafe Excel, especially the chopped salad, bbq chicken pizza and strawberry tart. Unfortunately, for all of us who love Cafe Excel, they are being forced to move in March. We have been told they will reopen at a new location in the fall. We sincerely hope this is true!Special Features:
- Girls day outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2014Loved the wine list. The food was very appetizing. Was kind of disappointed that since I had been there last, lots of pasta taken off the menu. However, not a deal breaker. Neighborhood gem! Waitservice was great.Special Features:
- last visitsay1VIPDined on 2/16/2014Restaurant could have been more "kid-friendly." They did not offer that the sauce on the pasta and meatballs that we said was going to be shared with a 3 year old was spicy. We did not ask, but we did not expect that such a dish would be as spicy as it was. They also charged for a refill on the child's milk, which he needed in order to eat any of the spicy pasta. They also charged for a substitution of a salad dressing...not an addition, a substitution. Again, there was no statement by the waitress that a substitution would incur an extra charge...this was removed when we complained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please stay!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014I would gladly walk from Northgate pay parking, as would everyone else I've talked to. Please stay in business at your present location. Fingers crossed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining reviewYabbado123Dined on 2/6/2014My husband made reservations for our family of 4 for my birthday last week. The Appetizer was not as good as it has been before. We ordered the Mediterranean plate. I ordered the Seafood linguine and it had no flavor so I had to ask for salt (which was not on any of the tables). My husband had the prime rib and it didn't taste like anything either. My son had the Gyro which had way too much Tzaziki (sp?) in it and he had to take it off since it had way too many onions on it. The desserts were good as usual. I've been coming to Cafe Eccell since before we had children and i have to say it's just not as good as it used to be.Special Features:
- Best Pizza EverDavidDined on 1/11/2014We opend with this Ahi Tuna Nachos. An awesome blend of flavors. We followed with the best custom pizza ever. We like a bit of everything, so we really went over the top and the kitchen came through for us !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like the seafood options;seafoodDined on 1/10/2014I like the seafood options; my wife loves the steaks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food Rocks !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Our waiter was outstanding and knew his wine ! Everything from our appetiters to the 6oz. tenderloin was out of this world! I can't remember the last time i had such a good meal !rSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & atmosphere but no coffee!ChristmasbdaygirlDined on 12/23/2013I've always loved the good and atmosphere at Cafe Eccell. Fine dining for special occasion or a special lunch that is reasonably priced. However, with as nice as the menu and desserts are that are offered, I'm so disappointed that they do not offer lattes, cappuccinos, etc. Just seems odd to me that this isn't offered to go with those popular desserts! When we asked if they had any out waiter said no and didn't even offer plain coffee or cream. Just apologized and brought our check.However, any restaurant that would be a competitor to this one in town-- Maddens, Christopher's, La Riviara, etc offer nice cappuccinos, lattes etc. or at the least a really nice coffee and cream as a finish to a nice meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was what it wasJle013Dined on 12/17/2013Food was good, the room we were in was noisy and the lighting was so bright for an evening dinner. The waiter was new, too new to be taking on a big table alone. So our food and drinks were late coming out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerwinedndinedDined on 12/15/2013My boyfriend took me to Cafe Excell for my birthday. They set the table especially for us and out waiter Tanner was superb and very knowledgable! Great birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-Bulldog beatdownBEDEDined on 11/9/2013Our table was ready promptly at 7pm on a busy post-game night in Aggieland. We had excellent service with good wine recommendations. The Greek salads and pizzas hit the spot. We always try to find time to hit Cafe Eccell when in College Station if time allows.Special Features:
- great spot away from college scenebulldog95Dined on 11/9/2013great variety of menu items, pizza, seafood & sandwiches. if you are looking to get out of the patio college bar scene after the game or just have a nice meal in college station them this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date night in AggielandfoodieinagggielandDined on 11/8/2013Our first visit -can;t believe we waited so long to try this place out. We will definitely be back. Try the strawberry tart - it's the best dessert I have had in College Station! I had barbeque chicken with veggies, hubby had Prime Rib eye steak. Both were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitress was wonderfulMissDined on 10/26/2013Our waitress was wonderful and the ambience was nice. I had the tilapia which was dry. It was served with "roasted vegetables" which was a few pieces of squash and a lot of onions. However, the charge for the fish was removed from our tab, which we appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real food right off campusaggienewbieDined on 10/26/2013This restaurant was recommended by a bed and breakfast in the area and had many good reviews. We were pleasantly surprised to find a place serving good to excellent quality food not geared to the standard college student's menu. The Mediterranean appetizer was delicious, especially the tzadziki. Our son really wanted fish, which he says is not available anywhere on campus. He loved the salmon entrée. Our pizza was very good although we couldn't find any sausage on it and the crust was a little too soft in the center. Prices were higher than other restaurants but comparable to the difference in food quality. The atmosphere was a bit dark and dreary which made it a challenge to read the menu. No problems with the table service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for dinnerRickMDined on 10/25/2013Food and charm lived up to our memories from our younger days as struggling undergrads. Great ambience and energy. Our waiter was apathetic and often distracted when dealing with us but it did not detract from dinner as a whole to any great degree. All in our group of four were ultimately satisfied.Special Features:
- Great A&M findMonicaDined on 10/25/2013Visiting for Parent Welcome Weekend and dined at Eccell. We enjoyed ourselves and our meal.. it was nice to see others/assist manager help out the wait staff with drink refills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT EVENINGAGGIEFANDined on 10/18/2013I loved the convenience of making our reservation on-line. Our table was ready when we walked in the door 5 minutes before our reservation time. The server was friendly, efficient and checked on us just enough to let us know he was aware, but not so much as to be intrusive. I had the Sea Bass which was perfectly cooked and season, another dinner chose the Snapper and was delighted, another had the gourmet grill cheese and tomato basil soup, and another had the Penne Pasta with Chicken with Rosemary Cream Sauce. I must admit I enjoyed a fair amount of the Penne Pasta with Chicken dish, on the ruse that I was trying to figure out the sauce. The Strawberry Tarts were incredible. We can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food selection and characterjmor90Dined on 10/11/2013The special was excellent. Desserts were fantastic as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.