Cafe Du Soleil
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Du Soleil
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafedusoleilnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 316-5000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30PM;
Sat - Sunday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Tivy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering for a minimum of 10 people, either delivered or catered in your home by chef Matthew Tivy himself. We cater various private clubs in Manhattan. We can create a special 4 courses sit down menu at your house or we can arrange a buffet style party. Everything would be prepared and delivered, and the guests would just help themselves. Speak to Matthew Tivy about your choice of buffet selection 917-553-2056.
- Special Events: Monday & Tuesday V.I.P register on Facebook.
Friday & Saturday: We will be celebrating a new French regional dish such as; Cassoulet, Choucroute, Bouillabaisse. Call for reservation.
A word from Cafe Du Soleil
A charming French bistro, featuring authentic French cuisine with the flavors of Provence. The friendly casual ambience, exciting specials and themed nights make Cafe du Soleil a popular upper west side French bistro.Continued
Every day - "Pre Theatre menu $24" (3courses) 4pm to 6:30pm.
"Monday & Tuesday night V.I.P night" register on facebook to get the card.
Every day - "Pre Theatre menu $24" (3courses) 4pm to 6:30pm.
"Monday & Tuesday night V.I.P night" register on facebook to get the card.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Du Soleil reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (13)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (11)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- UWS French TreaureFI44VIPDined on 11/23/2014The food is quite good and expertly prepared. There is a good variety to choose from including lighter fare such as salads. The service is a little sloppy-olives for the martini forgotten, a soup forgotten until reminded twice, otherwise okay.Recommenbd the steaks, the mussel dishes and the coq au vin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dear Neighborhood FindGenerallyeasy2pleaseVIPDined on 11/19/2014Truly a great neighborhood French Café!! The food is delightful, the ambiance truly delightfully French Cafe-ish and just a lovely time. You can even hear what people across from you are saying .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite placesMathewVIPDined on 11/17/2014Whenever I get a chance, I got to Cafe du Soleil; it's one of my favorite places. The poulet roti is exceptional. The service is always wonderful and the ambiance is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightWAK2013VIPDined on 11/7/2014CDS is our go to neighborhood cafe.Friday was an off night for the kitchen. The fromage on the onion soup was burned. The Moule broth was unpleasantly briny. And, I wish they would they would increase the size of the choc mousse dessert to something more than a couple of spoonfuls - even if they have to raise the price to $8. What CDS called an apple pie was simply cooked apples on top of a round piece of dough. The jazz trio was wonderful, though.
- KidsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/29/2014Three adults and two squirmy little girls -- and they did everything to accomodate the children. And the food for the adults was very good, as was the serviceSpecial Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 10/2/2014pleasant place on upper Broadway with a fine prix-fixe lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing and bad attituderemcookVIPDined on 9/30/2014I have gone to Cafe du Soleil many times in the past, and this time was exactly what you don't want. To start, my companion had the prix fixe and I did not. The omelet I ordered came with a salad, so I asked to have the salad first, while my friend had a first course. That request was turned down. Next up: the food: carrot ginger soup was good, the mussels were totally overcooked and shrunken in the shells. The omelet was more like a souffle and not a real omelet, and used mushrooms that tasted canned. The coffee was burnt. All told, I will not be back anytime soon. Why did we not complain? Because we laughed it all off, and only ate part of each dish-- just enough to stave off hunger, and no more.Special Features:
- Lively SpotElaineVIPDined on 9/27/2014Cafe Du Soleil was hopping! It was a beautiful and balmy late September evening, we dined al fresco with some friends. The food was excellent - everyone was happy. Two of us had the shredded short ribs over mashed potatoes (yum!), another had the Coq Au Vin, and the fourth a risotto. Not a complaint at the table. Clean plates. Service was quick and competent, prices fair and even a deep discount for paying cash! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkDivamom1984VIPDined on 9/16/2014Food was ordinary and roast chicken was dry . The restaurant is old and in need of a renovation .
- A taste for Paris on Broadway!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The service was unhurried, our waiter was helpful with food (I had the organic roasted chicken) and wine suggestions (chose the Argentinian Malbec), the food was fine (tasteful and pleasantly presented), the outdoor table was refreshing for a September evening. Some live music added to the ambiance.Special Features:
- LCAPDined on 9/5/2014Very warm and inviting! We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a relaxed eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Food and service were very good. Had a glass of pinot noir - very good. A subsequent glass of cote de rhone was dreadful. I liked my salad and fish very much and the creme brulee was excellent.Special Features:
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014It seems like a neighborhood favorite, quite full on a weekday night. The food was very good and the service very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentupperwestsiderVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have never had a bad meal here. Usually have the salmon, steak or mussels, and all have been wonderful. The escargot are delicious as are most of the salads. This is one of my go-to neighborhood places.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014nice; will return; waiters too fast in taking dishes away - gave impression we stayed too longSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice find!Luke182Dined on 8/15/2014We dined on a Friday night in August and this excellent French bistro was vibrant with a lovely crowd and bluesy jazz trio. Great, lively atmosphere, and what a friendly staff who really cared. The food was plentiful and fantastic. The decor was just like you'd find in Paris, which we loved. Being as we are nearby, about ten blocks away, we expect to make this a regular go-to place. I see it as a great place to relax and enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but terrible serviceBrianDined on 8/3/2014I went here for a sunday brunch with friends. First we were very impressed by the atmosphere since they had great outdoor seatings and relaxing theme. Also, we liked their menu selections. But once we start ordering everything seemed to fall apart. Out waitress looked lost. I ordered watermelon mimosa but she first brought reg. mimosa then next she brought blood orange. So when I told her that my drink tasted like blood orange she was clueless and said they are out of watermelon. Also she forgot to put an order for our appetizer. Once the food came out she disappeared. Terrible terrible service. I feel sad that we had bed experience at this great place. Hope the management trains their employees more precisely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France for under $50.00gr8diningVIPDined on 8/2/2014Authentic French country cooking, cafe setting, and at reasonable prices. For example a whole roasted chicken and side for $19.00, Escargor, best I have had anywhere $9.00 ans mussels in 3 available sauces served with pome frite (wonderful fries) for $22.00. Everything about this place is special. Wish I lived in NY to frequent the cafe. Yummy, fresh, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/31/2014I felt rushed at dinner. I can't believe with so many liquor stores nearby they are "out" of popular gin brands. Although I identified myself as having an open table reservation, I was still marked as a no show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 160 reviews are from the Cafe Du Soleil reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/21/2014We ate there yesterday. they didn,t check their reservation listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014You will not find a more pleasant experience on the Upper West Side. The food never disappoints and the wine list is fantastic. It is the service that keeps us coming back. From the moment we're greeted, we feel as though we're in good hands. An amazing date place. An amazing place for kids and families. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RandAVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great experience, fine food, especially liked the escargot, our server was great.Special Features:
- Paris on he UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2014What a French bistro should be. You can get there by the #1 train, not Air France.Special Features:
- Always solidDuckFatVIPDined on 7/14/2014We really enjoy this place as it's a neighborhood gem. Solid bistro fare, never once had a bad dish. My only issue is that their FOH is disorganized. 2 hostesses preferred to talk among themselves, maître d' eventually sat us. I put "high chair please" in the reservation, but it still came as a surprise to them. But we'll certainly go back because the servers were solicitous and the food quality.Special Features:
- Why don't I go here more often?NYer23Dined on 7/7/2014Just outside (25 blocks) my immediate neighborhood, I tend to forget cafe du soleil. But every time I go there I enjoy it and I realize that this is a top quality French bistro with food at less than half the price of midtown French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow arrivalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014The service was great, but the food came out much too slowly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Good FoodHaggisDined on 7/5/2014Older wait staff made for exceptional and professional service. Food is simple, streamlined, and appropriately priced. The short ribs were attractively presented but mostly starch, the Whole Seabream was exceptional. Great outdoor seating, tables appropriately spaced, quiet enough so we could enjoy our conversation. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, and Tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We were hoping to find a bistro similar to those in Paris...and here it is! Good food, wonderful service, nice atmosphere. Will surely return.Special Features:
- Ambience!GretaAMVIPDined on 6/17/2014I love the feel and atmosphere of this restaurant (as well as the food!) - whether the place is bustling or fairly quiet, there is a welcoming nuance- the colors are warm and inviting. Wait staff is attentive but not overly so. There is a prixe fix menu that is excellent. Great mussels! Yay Cafe du Soleil!Special Features:
- poor food ..large portionscbirdDined on 6/15/2014food was average to poor. Not one of the selections of our group of 4 was particularly well done. Maybe the mussels were the best. setting is nice in the outdoor street seating. service OK. Portions are large but below average.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealLaneyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Inconsistent food and service at Saturday brunch. The bread was simply sliced baguette - nothing interesting. My Eggs Benedict was watery and tasteless. We went with friends who were similarly dissatisfied. There are better brunch restaurants in the area. We'll avoid this in the future.
- Great French Bistro Uptownbrkln12gourmetDined on 6/13/2014We first discovered Café Du Soleil a couple of years ago. First we dined there once in a while since we live in Brooklyn (19.4 miles away). In time we kept going back more and more often, to listen to great jazz on Friday nights. The food quality and variety is outstanding. The staff, under the capable supervision of the host Francois, is attentive, friendly and efficient. Our favorite server is Miguel - sublime sense of humor and a winning smile. Warning: dining at Café Du Soleil may be habit forming. We wish that the other diners were much more respectful of the jazz performers and guests who came to HEAR the music. The deafening noise of extremely loud voices is very annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Well prepared, classic style French. The room is welcoming and the service is fine.Special Features:
- Butter Sauce!ahoughjr3Dined on 6/2/2014That salmon was amazing, and I expected nothing less. But the hidden gem of the night was the goat cheese potato cake appetizer. Warmer than I thought and an explosion of flavor! It's my second trip with my girlfriend in the past couple of months. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Nice brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014My niece and I had brunch before an afternoon concert. If you like seafood this would probably be a place to check out. Unfortunately, neither my niece nor myself are seafood fans. So we stuck to the basics: I enjoyed the French toast with a side of bacon and she ordered the American breakfast. She said that their coffee was good and she drinks it black. (She said that after spending a semester in France she learned to drink her coffee that way as many people in the area where she was living would drink black coffee). Pleasant decor and our waitress was French as well. I will go back as I had won a gift card to the restaurant, but next time I will try lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placecoolbreezeDined on 5/31/2014Had my daughters birthday dinner here this past saturday night and there were six of us and everything was perfect..the food and service was astounding. ..our dinners were perfectly cooked and our waiter was very professional. Thank you all for a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French Bistrobrkln12gourmetDined on 5/28/2014Café Du Soleil is a real gem, an authentic French Bistro with consistently excellent food, friendly and professional service, cozy neighborhood place. Jazz on Fridays is another great reason to dine here. Lizzie Thomas and her musicians delivered exceptional entertainment. Everything on the menu is delicious, the deserts are divine. Prices are very reasonable, you get your moneys' worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du SoleilAvraDined on 5/25/2014Consistently excellent. Lively French bistro with varied menu. Muscles are amazing every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on BroadwayengprofVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a real French bistro, with real French people running it (though friendly ones). The food is fairly standard bistro fare, but very well executed, and with some slightly unusual items (rabbit, brandade). THe music on weekend evenings is quite good, and the whole thing feels as if one could be in a small place in a Paris neighborhood rather than on the UWS. The wine list is smallish but adequate. Really quite delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10025VIPDined on 5/23/2014Much improved over past few years. One could do worse in Paris.Special Features: