Cafe Du Soleil
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Du Soleil
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafedusoleilnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123165000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Tivy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering for a minimum of 10 people, either delivered or catered in your home by chef Matthew Tivy himself. We cater various private clubs in Manhattan. We can create a special 4 courses sit down menu at your house or we can arrange a buffet style party. Everything would be prepared and delivered, and the guests would just help themselves. Speak to Matthew Tivy about your choice of buffet selection 917-553-2056.
- Special Events: Monday & Tuesday V.I.P register on Facebook.
Friday & Saturday: We will be celebrating a new French regional dish such as; Cassoulet, Choucroute, Bouillabaisse. Call for reservation.
A word from Cafe Du Soleil
A charming French bistro, featuring authentic French cuisine with the flavors of Provence. The friendly casual ambience, exciting specials and themed nights make Cafe du Soleil a popular upper west side French bistro.Continued
Every day - "Pre Theatre menu $24" (3courses) 4pm to 6:30pm.
"Monday & Tuesday night V.I.P night" register on facebook to get the card.
Every day - "Pre Theatre menu $24" (3courses) 4pm to 6:30pm.
"Monday & Tuesday night V.I.P night" register on facebook to get the card.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Du Soleil reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)great for outdoor dining (38)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (17)romantic (17)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014It seems like a neighborhood favorite, quite full on a weekday night. The food was very good and the service very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentupperwestsiderVIPDined on 8/19/2014I have never had a bad meal here. Usually have the salmon, steak or mussels, and all have been wonderful. The escargot are delicious as are most of the salads. This is one of my go-to neighborhood places.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014nice; will return; waiters too fast in taking dishes away - gave impression we stayed too longSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice find!Luke182Dined on 8/15/2014We dined on a Friday night in August and this excellent French bistro was vibrant with a lovely crowd and bluesy jazz trio. Great, lively atmosphere, and what a friendly staff who really cared. The food was plentiful and fantastic. The decor was just like you'd find in Paris, which we loved. Being as we are nearby, about ten blocks away, we expect to make this a regular go-to place. I see it as a great place to relax and enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but terrible serviceBrianDined on 8/3/2014I went here for a sunday brunch with friends. First we were very impressed by the atmosphere since they had great outdoor seatings and relaxing theme. Also, we liked their menu selections. But once we start ordering everything seemed to fall apart. Out waitress looked lost. I ordered watermelon mimosa but she first brought reg. mimosa then next she brought blood orange. So when I told her that my drink tasted like blood orange she was clueless and said they are out of watermelon. Also she forgot to put an order for our appetizer. Once the food came out she disappeared. Terrible terrible service. I feel sad that we had bed experience at this great place. Hope the management trains their employees more precisely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France for under $50.00gr8diningDined on 8/2/2014Authentic French country cooking, cafe setting, and at reasonable prices. For example a whole roasted chicken and side for $19.00, Escargor, best I have had anywhere $9.00 ans mussels in 3 available sauces served with pome frite (wonderful fries) for $22.00. Everything about this place is special. Wish I lived in NY to frequent the cafe. Yummy, fresh, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/31/2014I felt rushed at dinner. I can't believe with so many liquor stores nearby they are "out" of popular gin brands. Although I identified myself as having an open table reservation, I was still marked as a no show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/21/2014We ate there yesterday. they didn,t check their reservation listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014You will not find a more pleasant experience on the Upper West Side. The food never disappoints and the wine list is fantastic. It is the service that keeps us coming back. From the moment we're greeted, we feel as though we're in good hands. An amazing date place. An amazing place for kids and families. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RandAVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great experience, fine food, especially liked the escargot, our server was great.Special Features:
- Paris on he UWSOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2014What a French bistro should be. You can get there by the #1 train, not Air France.Special Features:
- Always solidDuckFatVIPDined on 7/14/2014We really enjoy this place as it's a neighborhood gem. Solid bistro fare, never once had a bad dish. My only issue is that their FOH is disorganized. 2 hostesses preferred to talk among themselves, maître d' eventually sat us. I put "high chair please" in the reservation, but it still came as a surprise to them. But we'll certainly go back because the servers were solicitous and the food quality.Special Features:
- Why don't I go here more often?NYer23Dined on 7/7/2014Just outside (25 blocks) my immediate neighborhood, I tend to forget cafe du soleil. But every time I go there I enjoy it and I realize that this is a top quality French bistro with food at less than half the price of midtown French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow arrivalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014The service was great, but the food came out much too slowly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Good FoodHaggisDined on 7/5/2014Older wait staff made for exceptional and professional service. Food is simple, streamlined, and appropriately priced. The short ribs were attractively presented but mostly starch, the Whole Seabream was exceptional. Great outdoor seating, tables appropriately spaced, quiet enough so we could enjoy our conversation. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, and Tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We were hoping to find a bistro similar to those in Paris...and here it is! Good food, wonderful service, nice atmosphere. Will surely return.Special Features:
- Ambience!GretaAMDined on 6/17/2014I love the feel and atmosphere of this restaurant (as well as the food!) - whether the place is bustling or fairly quiet, there is a welcoming nuance- the colors are warm and inviting. Wait staff is attentive but not overly so. There is a prixe fix menu that is excellent. Great mussels! Yay Cafe du Soleil!Special Features:
- poor food ..large portionscbirdDined on 6/15/2014food was average to poor. Not one of the selections of our group of 4 was particularly well done. Maybe the mussels were the best. setting is nice in the outdoor street seating. service OK. Portions are large but below average.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealLaneyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Inconsistent food and service at Saturday brunch. The bread was simply sliced baguette - nothing interesting. My Eggs Benedict was watery and tasteless. We went with friends who were similarly dissatisfied. There are better brunch restaurants in the area. We'll avoid this in the future.
- Great French Bistro Uptownbrkln12gourmetDined on 6/13/2014We first discovered Café Du Soleil a couple of years ago. First we dined there once in a while since we live in Brooklyn (19.4 miles away). In time we kept going back more and more often, to listen to great jazz on Friday nights. The food quality and variety is outstanding. The staff, under the capable supervision of the host Francois, is attentive, friendly and efficient. Our favorite server is Miguel - sublime sense of humor and a winning smile. Warning: dining at Café Du Soleil may be habit forming. We wish that the other diners were much more respectful of the jazz performers and guests who came to HEAR the music. The deafening noise of extremely loud voices is very annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Well prepared, classic style French. The room is welcoming and the service is fine.Special Features:
- Butter Sauce!ahoughjr3Dined on 6/2/2014That salmon was amazing, and I expected nothing less. But the hidden gem of the night was the goat cheese potato cake appetizer. Warmer than I thought and an explosion of flavor! It's my second trip with my girlfriend in the past couple of months. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Nice brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014My niece and I had brunch before an afternoon concert. If you like seafood this would probably be a place to check out. Unfortunately, neither my niece nor myself are seafood fans. So we stuck to the basics: I enjoyed the French toast with a side of bacon and she ordered the American breakfast. She said that their coffee was good and she drinks it black. (She said that after spending a semester in France she learned to drink her coffee that way as many people in the area where she was living would drink black coffee). Pleasant decor and our waitress was French as well. I will go back as I had won a gift card to the restaurant, but next time I will try lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placecoolbreezeDined on 5/31/2014Had my daughters birthday dinner here this past saturday night and there were six of us and everything was perfect..the food and service was astounding. ..our dinners were perfectly cooked and our waiter was very professional. Thank you all for a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French Bistrobrkln12gourmetDined on 5/28/2014Café Du Soleil is a real gem, an authentic French Bistro with consistently excellent food, friendly and professional service, cozy neighborhood place. Jazz on Fridays is another great reason to dine here. Lizzie Thomas and her musicians delivered exceptional entertainment. Everything on the menu is delicious, the deserts are divine. Prices are very reasonable, you get your moneys' worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe du SoleilAvraDined on 5/25/2014Consistently excellent. Lively French bistro with varied menu. Muscles are amazing every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on BroadwayengprofVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a real French bistro, with real French people running it (though friendly ones). The food is fairly standard bistro fare, but very well executed, and with some slightly unusual items (rabbit, brandade). THe music on weekend evenings is quite good, and the whole thing feels as if one could be in a small place in a Paris neighborhood rather than on the UWS. The wine list is smallish but adequate. Really quite delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10025VIPDined on 5/23/2014Much improved over past few years. One could do worse in Paris.Special Features:
- The following 139 reviews are from the Cafe Du Soleil reviews archive.
- Take a dateekfcheungVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is one of my girlfriend's favorite places in the upper west side. There's a great ambiance it has a nice Paris cafe feel to it. Great menu and I've been told the mussels and frites on Monday night is a great deal, and look forward to trying it next time.Special Features:
- KazzaDined on 4/26/2014We have dined at this restaurant many times but the service on Saturday was disappointing. The servers were filling our glasses of water every time we took a drink and kept trying to take our plates when we had not finished eating. We felt rushed over our meal even though there were free tables around the restaurant. This was a real shame as the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Jazz FridaysshRtsVIPDined on 4/25/2014We're great jazz fans and have now tried twice to enjoy the dinners at Cafe Du Soleil on Friday nights when a jazz vocalist if featured. We won't be back again on a Friday night. The place is always crowded, with tables so close together than you can hear the conversation of the guests who are adjoining. But the noise level increases on the Friday nights and, ironically, you really can't hear the music that you came for. The singer is poorly miked, and the jazz group cannot be seen from most tables in the restaurant. Furthermore, with the restaurant so busy, the service suffers. It took us ages to get our main course and later had to beg to get our bill, even though there were clearly people waiting for our table. But food is good.Special Features:
- Just OKUWSdinerDined on 4/20/2014Easter brunch was a little disappointing. The French Toast was fine, but service and food quality were just ok.
- Very pleasant neighborhood bistroRussellDined on 4/9/2014In an area where one would not expect anything special, Cafe Du Soleil stands out as eminently worthy. The ambiance is convincing. The accueil is friendly. The food is a cut above. And the service more than matches the rest, Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soleil SundaysUnstoppableDined on 4/6/2014It was 5pm and the crowds had not yet descended. The mood was peaceful and relaxed. The salmon was rare as ordered and the veal sausages bursting their seams with flavor. The wine was six dollars but tasted like twenty. Everything worked. The chocolate mousse we brought home was a delicious reminder of our Sunday Soleil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and limited menuOliveoilDined on 4/6/2014A cute setting and ambience. Went for Sunday brunch. The menu was very limited and overpriced. It felt like a bit of a ripoff. Food was decent, but would not go back.
- Always classicdfxbDined on 3/22/2014Cafe du Soleil like always delivered a fantastic and romantic meal. A solid recommendation to others seeking delicious French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plastic, no thanks.upperwestsiderVIPDined on 3/15/2014At brunch on Saturday, an order of eggs Florentine arrived with a piece of plastic in the spinach. To the restaurant's credit, they remade the order but didn't offer an apology or a refund. They could have provided a muffin or something small while we waited for the order to be replaced and the rest of our party ate their brunch, which would have gotten cold. In addition, the wait for coffee, drinks, and check was endless. Are they understaffed or just inefficient...not going back.
- Great UWS French bistro servingWAK2013VIPDined on 3/7/2014Great UWS French bistro serving well prepared traditionals. Friday night jazz only enhances the vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adult restaurantSuzanneDined on 2/26/2014A great restaurant for adults. The noise level was moderate and you can actually hold a conversation without raising your voice. Service was very good. Food was good but I'd go back for the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/26/2014We're always happy to take new people to Cafe Du Soleil. The restaurant is always welcoming and fast. The food is delicious and the staff is friendly and knowledgable. I never have anything other than a great time at Cafe Du Soliel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.