Cafe des Artistes
1722 Routh St Ste 132
Dallas, TX 75201Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Cafe des Artistes
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2147013396
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Global, International
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Cafe des Artistes
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe des Artistes reviews from OpenTable diners
- Started really strong...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013The welcome and bar service were great. Once we were seated for dinner and the tables began to fill up, the wait service was average at best. Scallops were perfection! Drinks were excellent! Customers were a huge mix, all ages and all attires.
- Great for after the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/11/2013After an event at One Arts Plaza, we had a nice dinner, good variety on the menus, delicious salads and nice wine selection. Service was really spectacular. Beautiful presentation of food and especially the salads. We would go back.Special Features:
- Such a disappointmentIggyloverDined on 11/17/2013Our group of 7 decided to go hear on my recommendation at 6 prior to a Sunday night performance at the Winspear. I had been there once before and loved this place. The restaurant only had a handful of tables, but our server disappeared for very long periods of time. One person in the group ordered a salad which took at least 20 minutes to arrive. Five people ordered burgers. The fries arrived first. One had ketchup. The rest did not. We had to ask multiple times to get ketchup. Burgers arrived minutes later. The bread never was replenished We had to scarf down our food and pay on the run in order to not miss our show. We were all shocked that it took more than an hour to get a mediocre $14 burger at an empty restaurant.
- Pre Theatre diningWebsterVIPDined on 10/18/2013We arrived an hour before the theatre because of a special event that caused excessive traffic in the Arts District. We told the waiter and our 2 courses and cocktails were served in plenty of time to make our opening curtain. Not only was the service excellent but our food was very good. The trout was a very generous portion and was cooked perfectly. I would definitely recommend Café des Artistes for pre theatre or other events in the Arts District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aurora Event outshined everythingsharonVIPDined on 10/18/2013To be fair, the restaurant was mobbed with event goers standing in every open space. The din was excruciating. And even with all that, they managed to turn out pretty decent food in acceptable time limits. Our server seemed overwhelmed. This is a good place to go before the shows in the Arts District venues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limp fritesPretheaterDined on 10/18/2013Service was a bit harried. Frites were wilted and when I mentioned it to the server he explained that the machine has a timer and the night before someone complained that the frites were too crispy so they adjusted the timer. Interesting story but he made no effort to get me un saggy frites. For a $29 steak frites dinner, frites should be crispy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceHoosierTravelerDined on 10/9/2013Took a group of 8 here to become better acquainted. Excellent service, quiet ambiance conducive to conversation. Attentive staff and tasty menu selections. Within walking distance of Marriott and Sheraton hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday is a Great Time to Go!!!!MsGLoveDined on 10/6/2013We went for a adult family celebration---an early dinner at 6:30 and it was wonderful. The food was great and we were actually able to talk and hear each other. Music was soft and unobtrusive. This is a great spot just like all the other Lombardi locations which we also frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch before showgwwkDined on 10/6/2013We went prior to the Symphony. Service was attentive. The pacing of the food was not rushed. The food was plated nicely. The salmon was cooked very well. The salad my brunch mate had looked fresh.Special Features:
- PretheaterCarolDined on 10/2/2013This restaurant is great for pretheater dining! Good wine list. Accomodating wait personnel...I am vegan. Tasty food. Great parking. Very pleasant.Special Features:
- Great before show dinner placejy15Dined on 9/27/2013within walking distance of the Winsphere - food was great, reasonanlby priced, a broad enough wine list to find something you will like and afford. Service was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is a bit limitedcratDined on 9/25/2013The menu is a bit limited but the food is great and the service is outstanding. I've stopped in twice before the theater, and they're very attentive to the time constraints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Show RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/25/2013It was a nice pre-show dinner. We will go back for a more relaxed dinning experience, but even at an accelerated dining scheadule it was still pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst. Service. Ever.AllisonVIPDined on 9/25/2013Literally. The waiter took two out of the three of our orders before running to get bread. Came back 15 min later to take all of our orders again. Served two out of the three of us 30 min later, mind you, there were maybe four other tables filled in the entire place. Realized the last order was messed up so he took EVERYONE ELSE's orders back too. Finally served all three of us 15 min later. This was after we said we were in a time crunch to make a play, and we were told this wouldn't be an issue. Food was subpar at best. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Never againBluebonnettDined on 9/24/2013We were looking so forward to a nice dinner in the Arts Dist-didn't happen. Nice greeting & ambiance. Service from the start very bad, rude, abrasive & -0- cust. service. Soup bowl hot as heck; soup rm temp (microwaved?), not much flavor either; salad no anchovies or capers as described-entree/dessert - ok only. Menu on coupon was not what was offered at restaurant-french place w/no souffles-not mentioned when reservations were made. Never again...needs alot of work in all dept except decor.
- MenukdubleDined on 9/21/2013We have been there about three times now and this time I was not happy with the menu or the waiter. The menu did have my favorite things on it and i had a hard time to make up my mind. I even asked if this is a new menu. I did not had a good response and he did not even send the manager over and the manager was walking around and did not even asked how was the food. My husband had a dish was very good and the tomato bisque was good also We I got my coffee and I finished it no one came to refill my coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Waiter EverKimBDined on 9/19/2013We ate at Cafe Artiste for the second time before a show and had the perfect waiter--helpful about suggestions, great about getting us out on time, concerned when the rain came just as we were leaving. (We got very wet, but not at all his fault.)Special Features:
- Ask for Billie Ann as your servervickieDined on 9/13/2013She is very refreshing as a person - She suggested the sautéed jumbo prawns as an appetizer and they were delicious! The trout was also very good and served with French green beansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night findChuckDallasDined on 9/6/2013A wonderful place for a quiet end to the evening. Good foods for the table and other appetizers.Special Features:
- Perfect restaurant for a dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2013Perfect restaurant for a dinner before the theater. It is located in One Arts Plaza in walking distance of the Winspear , Wylie and the Myerson. The food is French Bistro and was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ordinaryPatrickVIPDined on 8/31/2013Dinner for 4, per-theater. Still may be the best choice within walking distance of the Winspear, but nothing stands out. Caesar salad was good, but rest of dishes were bland. Special seafood risotto was so soupy we asked for spoons. Again, favors were good but not special. Worth another try .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France is just around the cornerAutumnVIPDined on 8/25/2013My husband and I ate at Cafe Des Artistes for dinner. Both our entrees were delicious, but our martinis were so so. They need to work on their vodka selection :) But, they had the ambiance of a Parisien bistro fairly well.....I say that because we just got back from a 2 week trip to France. The food was very good too....but it will never be as good as France because the US has all these pasteurization and irradiation laws that make the food totally different.....and not as tasty! BUT, Cafe Des Artistes is doing a fine job for a French bistro here in Dallas, TX!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot dinnerkathDined on 8/25/2013We went to the restaurant early on Sunday evening before going to see Book of Mormon. Our waiter could not have been nicer, but the airconditioning was not working and it made the experience very uncomfortable. We felt that we should have been told when we came that they were having problems. We were told it was a problem in the building, but we checked the restautrant next door and it was very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Our MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2013Hadn't heard much about this place, so our expectations weren't high. Just wanted a quick meal before a show. Great experience. Food was delicious. Mussels and Pommes frittes hit the spot for me. Irish salmon had a smoky greatness to it. Service was excellent. Waiter proactively inquired about us needing to be out for a show and perfectly timed things to have us ready to go on time. Kudos. We will be back.Special Features:
- Cafe des Artistes deliverssharonVIPDined on 8/21/2013The sauteed Jumbo Prawns were delicious and very large. Halibut was quite good but a bit overcooked and dry. The accompanying asparagus and mashed potatoes were lovely. The steak was tough but the accompanying pomme frites were just about as good and crisp as I've had in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestluv2dine2Dined on 8/17/2013I've been with "the girls" and enjoyed, my husband and I went for dinner Saturday night and we both loved it. It's casual enough but not too much, our dinner was terrific, the atmosphere was fun, energetic and we could talk and hear without yelling..and most of all the servers were polite, attentive and happy. Toni was our main server, he never stopped smiling. We weren't big spenders that evening...not being very hungary we split a salad, entrée, side dish and drank no alcohol...and regardless we were well attended to and treated as special guests. We had a great experience and will definitely return. We hope it will be another one of Lombardi's successes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great uncrowded Sunday brunchPepeDined on 8/11/2013Went there for brunch on Sunday. It was welcome sight that they had no wait. The decor feels a bit out fo place attempting a french antique bistro ambiance inside a modern building. The piano music made up for any decor shortcomings. Food was extraordinary. My short rib hash was as good as it gets, eggs perfectly poached. My wife had benedictines, very good too. Kids loved their two eggs any style (hard to get those wrong) but they were nicely served in hearthy portions. The beignets were expectedly good. $2 bloody marys and $1 mimosas round out the brunch scene. (dont expect miracleso on those though). Service was courteous and fast. Will certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceswedgewoVIPDined on 8/2/2013Our server, Vernon did such an awesome job! He was very personable and knowledgeable of the menu and how each item was prepared and offered great suggestions. My friend and I enjoyed our entrees and salad/appetizer but wished they had more options for dessert.Special Features:
- Outstanding staff!KristenDined on 7/20/2013We admittedly went on an off night to celebrate my 25th birthday. Our party of 10 had the entire restaurant to ourselves which was great because we're rowdy. The staff was extremely attentive despite the fact that they were trying to close the kitchen. They even accommodated a late guest by making them an entree after the kitchen had closed. Highlights of the meal included the cocktails, CAB meatballs, risotto, Gran Marnier soufflé and chocolate peanut butter torte. Ending the evening with a complimentary chocolate cake shot was truly the icing on my birthday cake. Would certainly go back! Great spot to dine before an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2013Our dinner was a four hour dining experience! Our party of four really enjoyed Cafe des Artistes. Champagne cocktails were very tasty, gougeres were a delicious appetizer. I had the mussels, which were cooked perfectly and served with pommes frites to die for. The broth on the mussels was not quite as flavorful as I would have liked, but a white wine broth is always subtle. Others had a pasta/vege special and halibut, which they also enjoyed. We had after dinner martinis that are desserts in and of themselves, but couldn't resist sharing a Grand Marnier soufflé. I'm so glad we didn't - it was fabulous. Last, but not least, our waiter Bernard (?) took amazing care of us - we never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Des Artistes French Cuisine??OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2013Foccacia bread was a poor choice with the wonderful olive oil. A sliced baguette would be so much better and more appropriate. Our specialty cocktails were below average. Mine had something like Realemon rather than fresh squeezed lemon juice in it. My husband had mussels and liked them and I liked my salmon entree. We didn't have dessert. This restaurant is in a great location, especially for combining with the Arts District events.Special Features:
- Nice dining musicMSulliVIPDined on 6/29/2013This was our first time at Cafe des Artistes. We used a Travel Zoo voucher. The food was quite good, the wine was a very good value, they had light jazz playing starting at 7 pm which was wonderful - something not done alot these days unfortunately - and the service was exceptional. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Arts District Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2013What a unique restaurant in the heart of Dallas' Arts District. We enjoyed the jumbo prawn appetizer, Alaskan halibut and grilled rib eye steak entrees, all cooked to perfection with wonderful sides. The soufflés are more than adequate to share, the Grand Marnier was a real treat! The decor, staff, everything lovely. A bonus to this restaurant is being so close to all the concert halls in the area. Valet parking discounted as well! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-time visit to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2013First-time visit to this restaurant. Arrived early to dine before attending a concert at the nearby Winspear Opera House. Was seated promptly and each meal course arrived on time. Service was very attentive and friendly but not obtrusive. Restaurant decor was much like a Paris bistro, as was the menu. Nice selection of appetizers, soups, and salads (Tomato bisque was a hit). Entrees trended toward a Mediterranean influence. The Haddock w/aspargus in a vanilla cream sauce was outstanding. We chose the sorbet/gelato w/cookie and souffle for dessert -- the sorbet/gelato was nice, but the souffle was one of the best in the city and large enough for two to share. After dinner, the "Art Cart" shuttled us to the concert. We will return.Special Features:
- Food and ServerLHubertDined on 6/22/2013Food was great as well as Vernon our Server The Best!
- Great pre-theater experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/22/2013Had a terrific experience before seeing Traces at the Winspear Opera House.
- a wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2013We have dined here twice now - and are so impressed. Located in the Arts District, this spot is becoming popular with the downtown Dallas crowd, as well as the theater-goers. The restaurant is a tune to performance times, and will get you out the door in plants of time for your show. The menu is excellent, and the wait staff truly wants to serve. There is a a nice wine list and a wonderful cocktail menu, and the night we were the tee, there was a delightful jazz band, performing without overwhelming. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music was to loud...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2013We arrived at 7pm and the restaurant was packed with a pre-theater crowd. As 7:30 rolled around and we found our party of four as one of the few tables left, we realized we couldn't have a conversation because the live music was still playing at a level necessary for a full restaurant. After we finished eating we had to move outside to enjoy a conversation with our dinner guests.Special Features:
- Lombardi with a French accentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/13/2013Whether discussing business at lunch, enjoying drinks and dinner with a date, or sharing late-night dessert and snacks after a show in the Dallas Arts District, Cafe des Artistes aims to please. Service is incredible — friendly, helpful and accommodating without being pushy, and absolutely no pressure to turn your table quickly. Dining room decor includes show posters, highlighting the restaurant's proximity to the Dallas City Performance Hall, Wyly Theater and Winspear Opera House. Crafty mixologists behind the bar can create off-menu specialty drinks (including non-alcoholic refreshments) upon request. Outdoor seating offers a view of other restaurants and a water feature in the center of One Arts Plaza's valet parking circular driveway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2013Enjoyed great food and service. Manny our waiter has it together. Made excellent recommendations. Preston the manager was most cordial and attentive.Special Features: