Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
20 East Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesarchitectes.com/
- Phone: 3123244063x
- Hours of Operation:
6 am until 10 pm, Daily. Brunch: Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 am until 5:00 pm. Le Bar is open for dinner daily from 3:00 pm to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, International
- Executive Chef: Greg Biggers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Chicago Restaurant Week is right around the corner! From February 1-10, Café des Architectes will be offering a $22 prix fixe lunch and a $44 prix fixe dinner. For more details, please inquire within. Café des Architectes will also be celebrating Valentine's Day February 14-16 with a special five course degustation for $79 per person. All prices exclude beverages, tax and gratuity. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
A word from Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
Blending French elegance with the very best in local flavor, Executive Chef Greg Biggers prepares breakfast, lunch and dinner with the freshest ingredients in hand. Working closely with a number of like-minded farmers, Chef Biggers prepares cuisine that changes seasonally and centers around quality and sustainable ingredients. A De-Light prix fixe menu is available, featuring three courses of low calorie dishes. Guests are also invited to enjoy the restaurant’s five or ten course Degustation Menu, available with wine pairings. Also not to be missed is Café des Architectes’ signature Cheese Ritual and comprehensive wine program. This chic Magnificent Mile neighborhood restaurant offers dramatic interiors by Pierre-Yves Rochon, featuring vibrant colors, overstuffed chairs, and dynamic lighting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Architectes/CDA reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (39)special occasion (33)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)scenic view (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- DinnerDined on 10/11/2014Café des Architectes has offered consistently great food and service since I first started dining here five years ago. It's one of the nice things about living in Chicago. Tres bon!Special Features:
- Pleasant and QuietDisappointedDined on 10/5/2014The menu this time was not as interesting as other times, but all in all a nice experience. The service is excellent, it is a quiet place to have conversation. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Nice but very slow...waitingforlunchVIPDined on 10/2/2014We came to have a long, relaxing lunch but it dragged on for 2 hours due to slow (but very kind and friendly) service. The waiter would disappear for 15 min at a time...every time. The wine list was not brought until later, we ordered a cheese course for the table and it took 20 min. We were not in a huge hurry but we spent the lunch looking for water, bread, our next course. I could never bring clients for lunch
- fzk5220Dined on 9/26/2014Service was outstanding. We felt like we were on a world tour. One waiter was from India, another from Mexico and yet another from Bhutan. All spoke perfect English and I even learned how to say thank you in Bhutanese! The food was a work of art and yet satisfying. The chef came over, introduced himself, and asked about food allergies, likes and dislikes, etc. The fois gras was particularly memorable. It was firm, the portion deliberately small and made extra delicious by the addition of a special pineapple puree of some sort.Special Features:
- Good quiet restaurantGramdmom2014VIPDined on 9/20/2014We sat for two hours enjoying the wonderful food but especially the ability to talk and hear each other--a rarity in the city In addition to the regular menu there was a prix fixe ($39) light menu with three choices in each of three courses: appetizer, main course, dessert. Nice amuse bouche, great breads and complimentary sweets at end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014This is my 2nd visit. A must if you are in Chicago... Great food, service, wine.... This time I took the train from lake Forest just to dine there... One is not disappointed.... Wished there were other such restaurants at their hotels.... Must look into this...Special Features:
- Great pairingsEvilroyVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings. The chef came out after we ordered and asked about our likes and dislikes, allergies, etc. He proposed a different item for each of us with each course, so we really ended up sampling 10 courses. We were ecstatic about that because any time there are choices per course, my wife and I always get something different and taste each other's. Not only was each of the courses we tried terrific, but the wine pairings with each were exceptional matches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Culinary ExperienceSus1984Dined on 9/13/2014Every single dish was incredible. I had the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings, great flavorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceIgTkVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great service, very friendly, attentive, and professional staff. Great wine selection, awesome cheese menu, the duck and chicken were amazing. We had a great time, and looking forward to dine at the Cafe Des Architectes again. We also love to have Sat/Sun brunch at this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2014Three of us had the ten course chef's tasting menu with wine pairings and it was an amazing experience! Even more entertaining (and delicious) was that for some of the more than ten courses each of us had a different item. The food was beautifully arranged and flavors were memorable. We had a great evening and will talk about this meal for years!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and slowctrigg1Dined on 8/26/2014Very sparse for diners, felt like in hotel. Sitting outside was nice. Service was good. Food okay, nothing special. Tenderloin and chocolate sphere dessert were awesome. Maybe mid-week blues but overall not impressed. Have been to better french inspired restaurants.
- Great place for a special occasionstrikingteacherDined on 8/17/2014Great ambiance, wait staff, divine food. We were celebrating a special occasion and this was the perfect spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and serviceFoodloverVIPDined on 8/15/2014Waiter was subpar - curteous but his English was very weak, which ultimately affected our meal and Sofitel's image. He didn't know basic drinks, forgot part of our order. Food was mediocre at best. Oysters were luke warm, and smelled weird. So, we couldn't take a chance. (As a foodie, I expected waiter to say something like - I will be sure to let the chef know; he didn't, although he did take it off the bill) Risotto was pasty. Duck was better, but not special. Quail was perhaps the only redeeming feature, although since the waiter forgot about it (even after personally recommending it, to which I had added - great, I'll take your advice), I started it as my family was finishing their meal. Overall, a surprisingly disappointing evening.Special Features:
- Nice but quiethannahbananaVIPDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant is on the first floor of the Sofitel hotel so it doesn't have the scenic view that some other Chicago restaurants boast. My friend and I went on a Thursday night and based on our experience, it was a very quiet restaurant with equally quiet guests. Nevertheless, the food was great, the servers were very accommodating, and the decor is different. It is all red and art deco-esque, seems like an ideal place for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always....Great!Larry800Dined on 8/11/2014There are lots of "french" restaurants in Chicago these days, but if you want a true elegant French experience, Cafe Des Architectes is the best. Others are a variation on the theme of "French Bistro". This is much more elegant. The space is beautiful, the service is highly professional, and the food is simple but excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful...better than ever!HeatherWildeVIPDined on 8/8/2014A fabulous meal...quiet and very "conversationally friendly!" Fruit dessert lovely...only quibble...why not two butter/oil spreads on a table for six?Special Features:
- A French AffairthehpopeDined on 8/7/2014The food and wine selections were exceptional. Paired perfectly. Can't wait to try them at home. Thank you for making this a memorable vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best french foodbcumberworthDined on 7/31/2014Cafe Des Architectes is the best french food we have ever tasted. The wait staff was attentive and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014Cafe des Architectes was terrific. The food was fabulous and the service outstanding. We can't wait to return for another wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Great find for outdoor diningChicagoEaterDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I were looking for a good spot to eat some good food and sit outside in the area. We thought the food was very good - I got the venison and my wife got the Amish chicken. The wine list looked decent, and the cocktail list looked good as well. The indoor seating area looked nice, but we really enjoyed sitting outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDelicatDined on 7/22/2014We started celebrating our son's 21st birthday with dinner at CDA with friends. Good ambiance, good drinks and good service. Biggest surprise was that we were the only people there. BTW the mini-desert towers were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasing Food on the Patio2foodiesVIPDined on 7/20/2014We wanted outdoor dining and well prepared fish. We scored with the Arctic char: well presented and prepared. The tuna and octopus Nicoise was deconstructed and delicious. The smoked beet salad was mediocre. We enjoyed the setting on a perfect summer day and the low noise level made conversation easy. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutoftenVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent. The restaurant would have received an outstanding except for the fact that the service was mediocre. Too bad because everything was done elegantly, but the service brought it down. The types of food and presentation were in keeping with much more expensive venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick trip to ChicagoGastronomo2001Dined on 7/11/2014I tried the light prix fix, 3 course. I had sweetbread, then duck, an a light dessert--all excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!Louisville502VIPDined on 7/5/2014Hadn't been in a many years but very happy that we came back. Had bruch that was outstanding and the breads that were served couldn't be better (took me back to Paris). Brunch was so good that we decided to try dinner. We were not disappointed!!! For starters we shared the fois gras terrine, smoked beet salad, spring risotto and the day's special, soft shell crab (all recommendation of our server). At this point we thought that we should leave because we didn't want to ruin perfection. But it wasn't ruined at all - just enhanced - by two excellent entrees - Amish Chicken Ballentine and Cervena Venison. Ended the evening with the chocolet sphere and big smiles. The food, ambiance and service were first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Restaurant is located right off the lobby of this boutique French hotel line. We were offered seating in the nice outside area but choose to dine inside in the modern european interiors. Service was gracious, accommodating, and impeccable. The quiet ambiance makes for a romantic evening. The food did not disappoint. The modern French cuisine was beautifully served and taste was outstanding in every course we had. Definitely on our list next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Incredible Servicefrenchfluency9Dined on 6/27/2014I would like to give a speciel thanks to the only French- speaking server I met, which was Romi. Thank you very much for making my evening so much more romantic for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1114 reviews are from the Cafe Des Architectes/CDA reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014I love this place. I've been several times and it is always good. Service was great. I was going to a show and the server got me out in time.Special Features:
- very French!AnnaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Even our waiter was French! Definitely a fine dining restaurant! Entrees were all pretty elaborate, so don't go looking for something simple! The 4 of us tried 3 different appetizers and 3 different entrees, and everyone was very happy with their choices. We also shared a dessert "tasting" selection, which was excellent, and the restaurant tops it off with a large selection of sweets to boot. Our waiter disappeared for a LONG time after taking our wine order, but once we ordered our meals, the service was leisurely, but did not drag.Special Features:
- Second to noneMaraVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food at CDA is always impeccable, perfectly prepared and presented every time. The desserts are unlike anything I've ever eaten and are not to be missed! Interesting flavor combinations along with beautiful presentations and high-quality seasonal ingredients make for a dessert experience that is second to none.Special Features:
- Lovely surprisefoodloverDined on 6/8/2014This was our first visit to the Cafe des Architectes and we were delighted with our experience. The service was impeccable, the food delicious and beautifully presented, and the atmosphere so wonderfully relaxing. Brought out of town friends and were so thankful that it was perfect.Special Features:
- disappointingRaflesDined on 6/3/2014The menu looks very promising, but doesn't deliver. Food was just mehh. Plus the restaurant was booked for a private event and they had us sit where hotel breakfast is served, not nice. We had the venison, risotto and the sweetbreads, which were the best dish we tried. Desserts weren't too good either. The raspberry rhubarb tart was tasteless. The chocolate sphere was Ok. Will not return or recommend.
- Small bites menusakunDined on 6/2/2014Like jwelly and or artistic paints, each dish is refine and newness. Every wines will fascinate you with each dish, as well. They have two courses as 5 and 10 dishes (small bites), with 5 or 7 wines which are very very intimate for each dish. Cheff's magic will enchant you. It is the 'KAISEKI' in Japanes cuisine.Special Features:
- Simply Beyond Excellent!Foodie1VIPDined on 5/27/2014The chef is beyond outstanding! I have been to Cafe Des Architectes on several occasions and cannot wait to return on my next visit to Chicago!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great serviceVioletDined on 5/26/2014The place look very beautiful from outside (it is in a hotel) and looked equally elegant inside. Our servers were very courteous and attentive. We love their french accents! We had the foie gras to start with and it was probably one of the best foie gras dishes I ever had. My friend ordered the venison, and I had the amish chicken. Both were good. When the server brought out the dessert menu, we said we were quite full but would take a look. Then he brought out a dessert flight for us, on the house! It was a lovely surprise and the dessert (chocolates, marshmallows, macaroons) was certainly amazing. Next time, I know where to bring my guests for a great French dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAshandmVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food was amazing and so were the desserts. This is a place not to miss. They also have the a great prefix healthier menu, which I enjoyed. My fiancee enjoyed the burger, and thinks its the best burger in Chicago.Special Features:
- Orestes time Chicago visitorWestern2Dined on 5/17/2014Excellent service. Servers were polite, respectful, with genuine smiles. Food was delicious and elegantly presented. It was one of the nicest meals and presentations I've experienced in years. It was a highlight of our trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchbodraDined on 5/5/2014This is a nice restaurant in a good locale, but the lunch menu is very limited. The valet parking was terrific -- no waiting, but it is expensive at $36. The waitress was terrific.Special Features:
- an old chicago friendfrequentflyerDined on 5/4/2014This was our third dinner at Cafe Des Architectes, and each time we have been impressed by the quality of the food, the reasonable portion size, and the quiet decor. This makes it an excellent place to take guests, and we have used it that way when we come to Chicago for meetings. Maintaining quality in a restaurant is not easy, and we have not been disappointed in our meals. This last one was perhaps the best food we have experienced at the restaurant yet. We will come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDined on 5/3/2014Still one of the best dining experiences in Chicago. Tres bon!Special Features: