Cafe Des Amis
2000 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamissf.com/
- Phone: 4155637700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Monday, through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, 5:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m.
Sunday, 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Mark Sullivan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Allow us to assist in the creation of your next special group dining experience. We offer a selection of private and semi-private dining options, perfect for any celebration or meeting. Custom menus and event planning services are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Hanoian 8776251063
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Café des Amis invites you into the bustling, energetic atmosphere of a ‘neighborhood’ French brasserie, with elegant, relaxed stylings and attentive service. Chef Mark Sullivan and Chef de Cuisine John Cahill have crafted a menu featuring classic brasserie dishes based around locally sourced ingredients, while Wine and Spirits Director Andrew Green has assembled a wine selection focused on the regions of France. Located on the corner of Union and Buchanan in the heart of the Union Street Shopping District, Café des Amis is the perfect place to satisfy that craving for a well chosen wine, hand crafted cocktail or late night meal. We look forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (34)great for brunch (34)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (22)notable wine list (18)good for groups (16)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Not impressedFrenchieDined on 8/15/2014I tried this place several times in the past. When they first opened, it was great. The design and service of the restaurant is still great but the taste of food has suffered. It's probably partly the clientele's fault for leaning towards American comfort food it seemed as I was noticing what people were ordering. I tried the niocci and the lamb entree both lacked flavor and the sauce tasteless. Definitely don't order the lamb. They are good for bruch, hamburger and seafood trays. By the look of the restaurant, I expected better food. I will probably go back for the ambiance, lunch and brunch but I think there are better places in the city for dinner around this price range.Special Features:
- My little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went a friend for a little celebration, and as always it was lovely. Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:
- Bistro cafeGenevois2Dined on 8/14/2014True to Bistro style restaurant with decor and ambience to match. Food is very good,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing LunchSFRunningGirlVIPDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant is one of my favs for lunch - especially for celebrating a special occasions. I've had a number of wonderful meals in the past but my recent experience was disappointing and I doubt I'd go back. I specifically contacted the restaurant ahead of time to tell them about a birthday we were celebrating and to ask that they prepare a surprise dessert for the end of the meal. After waiting more than 20 minutes after our meal was over, I finally asked for the check as the dessert still hadn't appeared. I hoped that requesting the bill would prompt them to bring it out, it didn't and we ended up leaving without celebratory send off. There was no excuse not to remember my request. It quite frankly ruined the experience for me.Special Features:
- BistromaniaHofameVIPDined on 8/12/2014Nice representation of that Paris place we all like to visit. Food is pretty good, menu is authentic, wine list superior, and drink service spot on. Charming young waiter who admitted under cross-examination he had fled from Clovis. We had a good time here.Special Features:
- Good choice at Union streetSeafoodDined on 8/10/2014Good looking place, should be good for the group as they have separate dining area. Food was ranging from outstanding to so so. Waiter forgot several entries and to bring the spoon, but corrected with an extra portion and desert. Place was not particularly crowded on Sunday evening, but it should be. Overall, good find, away from tourist crowd.Special Features:
- mehpanioloDined on 8/9/2014thought of this as a busy, fun place, but on saturday at 7:30pm the place was empty. awkward intro maitre d who tried to be funny and wasn't. empty tables, and those there looked like tourists. food was good, but took a solid hour for to arrive. everyone in our group complained about the delays. not sure if the decline of betelnut next door is a factor, but that corner-- which used to be fun and packed-- felt abandoned.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Loved the mussels au curry and the salade lyonnaise. Friendly service. Very pleasant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Saturday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Four of us had a 7:45 reservation on a Saturday night. The place had a nice bar to get drinks before sitting down. Food was very good - we had the butter lettuce salad, pate and salad lyonnaise for apps, mains: halibut, steak frites, seafood ravioli and mushroom vol-au-vent. All dishes were well prepared and tasty. Also the side of fries were really really tasty! Service was solid and never felt rushed. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Oui Oui OuiMandyDined on 7/25/2014Incredible food (get the duck!), great service, fab locale. Love this place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Duck was amazing , Bouchon a MUST have for desert. host Aaron in fantastic 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem, poor serviceBSPPDined on 7/18/2014I had been to Cafe Des Amis twice before, once for dinner and brunch, and had excellent service and food. This time was horrible. We were seated outside and after 50 minutes we still hadn't placed a drink order, much less food. This was also after notifying the hostess and maître d twice because our waitress was nowhere to be found. Then when our waitress did finally reappear after our order was placed with the maître d the only apology we got was the offer of free calamari which we didn't want since we had already ordered according to our hunger and preferences. Finally the bill came which totaled $120+ for 2 ppl and not even a round of drinks were comped to remedy the experience. It will be a long time before I return to cafe Des Amis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal in an attractive settingChewer007VIPDined on 7/12/2014We had an early dinner at the Des Amis and enjoyed it very much. Front of house staff a little cool, but our waiter was very warm and helpful. Gnocchi and mixed salad (hard to describe how great that was no matter how prosaic it sounds) were high spots. The atmosphere is very autherntic of a Parisian Brasserie, however the music, mostly contemporary American was a little to loud for my taste. The acoustics of the room are reflective as is the trend today. This is great as long as your hearing holds up. I'm kind of on the backside of that deal, so sometimes it's a stuggle to hear in these settings. I suppose it's a tactic if you want to drive the older clientele away.
- AlfieVIPDined on 7/11/2014My second time here - came back for the soft rolled omelets which are deliciously different...have not had them done this way anywhere else. The fries and bread were excellent. The service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 7/8/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant, have been introducing friends to it and everyone goes back. DeliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewerDined on 7/7/2014food / wine was excellent. would have liked more candle light. The candle lamps on the table don't work well. average serviceSpecial Features:
- So soKatat49Dined on 7/5/2014Halibut was great -best part. bar noise interfered with conversation for about half the dinner. Few wine by glass choices. Pricier than overall restaurant warrants .I would recommend this to a friend.
- The very best!capercatsDined on 7/5/2014Charming ambience! Our service was excellent from start to finish: professional, great suggestions, etc. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious. We asked for a quiet table for two and were seated in a perfect spot for us. We were not rushed and were able to enjoy a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Neighborhood BistroLDSFVIPDined on 7/3/2014Good bistro food well prepared. Full bar. Friendly staff. We had a very good wait person. We enjoyed the French bistro items on the menu along with the oysters, which were wonderful. A friendly, relaxed, attractive place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 7/3/2014As always great service, they have a happy hour that starts at 3pm, love their oysters!!! DeliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Nice, ButRegularDinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014We have gone to Des Amis a number of times and always enjoyed all aspects very much. We went again to celebrate a birthday. The food and ambience was generally good but the service was spotty around the edges. While the waitress, bartender and table servers weren't very helpful or attentive, the manager listened carefully and addressed the issues. We will return again but hope we get a more seamless experience with getter trained staff next time. Let's get this restaurant back to five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like being in FranceSuziGVIPDined on 6/30/2014Absolutely delightful casual French bistro. Food is exceptional, wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly . Terrific ambiance - I felt right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great benedictdanjefferDined on 6/28/2014The eggs benedict was delicious and the oysters were also very tasty.Special Features:
- for our anniversaryfoodfanDined on 6/21/2014Everything was perfect. The lamb and steak was excellent, as was the salad and gnoochi. Great cocktails and beer choices, as well as a nice wine list. Sizeable but feels intimate, and great location. The desserts are super great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SPECIALSCarmelrestaurantgoerDined on 6/19/2014Their daily specials. We had a two pound lobster, prepared perfectly for $28.00. Good table and service. Only negative would be a lack of good red wine in the $38.00 to $50.00 range. We brought our own and paid the corkage and ordered a couple of extra glasses. Third time there in last year and has become a habit when we visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Parisian bistrocoastsidemomVIPDined on 6/15/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere (having been to Paris 5 times over the past 2 years) but were disappointed in the service - waiter never checked to see if we wanted anything (I had to ask for wine) and kept us waiting for dessert for a very long time. He took off the cost of one of the desserts because of the delay, but meantime he had left us waiting without coming back to keep us posted. The food was good but not great - hubby had the roasted chicken which he thought was good, and I had the duck a l'orange which was good but not great. We ordered a trio of cheese as appetizer; tasty but portions were small - the accompanying spicy nuts were excellent as was the bread. Profiterole dessert was outstanding but pain perdu was disappointing.
- ChowhoundDined on 6/15/2014The food is always excellent here, top flight service, waiters know wine list pretty well.Special Features:
- LaviDined on 6/12/2014I went there for dine about town lunch. The zucchini soup for appetizer was very good! I loved it. The main was cod, I liked the food but it was really salty that I can even see the salt on the fish.
- Knows how to cook eggchickenandeggDined on 6/8/2014There are 2 things a chef/cook needs to master, cooking eggs and roasting a chicken, sadly most places don't know how to cook eggs properly. I am very happy to say that "Cafe des Amis" is not one of them! Their omelets are perfect and picture perfect. You are in experts hands, dishes don't disappoint. The service is unexpectedly near outstanding, but I did have one mishap (on a very busy day.)Special Features:
- DisappointingAlfieVIPDined on 5/23/2014I'd wanted to try this place for a while and finally took my friend for her birthday. Sad to say we were very disappointed. The food was mediocre to poor - the escarole in the chicken salad was tough and in big pieces and the dressing tasted bitter; the soft rolled omelet was tasty but lacking in presentation; the profiteroles were substandard - the puff pastry part did not taste fresh and the ice cream filling was not good at all. The worst part was the poor wait service - we had to ask for bread twice before it was brought and the waiter was not attentive to our needs - any interaction was pro forma only and we definitely did not get any sense the waiter cared whether we liked the food or not, or whether we were having a good experience.
- Nice dinnerFrankDined on 5/15/2014great food, good atmosphere. a really nice evening. The service was excellent very friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently greatWellworthrecommendingVIPDined on 5/14/2014What a wonderful total experience....service, food, ambience. From the minute you arrive and are greeted, everything just falls into place and you know you're at a well run restaurant. The menu changes from time to time, the wine list is interesting and the servers are knowledgeable and competent. The happy hour scene is a lot of fun and the $1.25 oysters are superb !Special Features:
- Good items to order:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Go for the burger & French onion soup. Lovely hostess but the waiter should be replaced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Flash of ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Wonderful bistro-like decor. Fun bar. Great service but more importantly, consistently beautifully prepared food from the freshest ingredients. The Raviolis de Fruits de Mer were outstanding as was the the Cod and the Halibut. I have had sublime asparagus served tepid with delicate herbs and subtle vinaigrette. Excellent wine list of French and local wines. Definitely wonderful experience any evening or when you need that sophisticated Paris fix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 4/24/2014Classic French bistro food. Nice atmosphere and drink menu. Great frisee salad, grilled lobster and perfect medley of spring vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the bestfoodfanDined on 4/24/2014The location, the ambiance are great. The service was excellent and our food was delicious and looked that way. Nice wine list, Goodcocktails. Everything from beginning to end was more than expected. Will be going again, and we have a pretty long drive to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 4/22/2014This is a place that I could frequent more often if I could, have brought most of my friends here and everyone loved it and came back. Delia B CrawfordSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 661 reviews are from the Cafe Des Amis reviews archive.
- Great even on a busy Easter day.JaneDined on 4/20/2014Always a great spot for special days. We enjoy Easter there year after year. They do a fixed menu because of the large number of people to bbs served but there are many good choices. Service was fast and attentive, despite the hubbub. After all, there is an Easter Parade and street festival going on right outside the door. There is outdoor seating too if you want to see the action up close. On regular nights, try the mussels.Special Features:
- Wonderful Occasion at Cafe Des AmisnomnomnomDined on 4/18/2014It was my sisters birthday and I made reservations at a different restaurant but after asking around based on the Open Table reviews- I made a last minute decision to change to Cafe Des Amis. Not only did they find room- but they found us the best table and made us feel like it was a special occasion. Just the extra attention from the manager to the waitstaff changed the entire experience. The food was tasty, the drinks were just perfect and they even made special accommodations for my gluten allergy. Cafe Des Amis made dinner into an event to be remembered- making me the hero and my sister the star. Thanks!Special Features:
- it feels like parisDeliaVIPDined on 4/17/2014This restaurant has everything, good food, service and the place is beautiful, and very near my home. Just love it!!Special Features: