Cafe Des Amis
2000 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesamissf.com/
- Phone: 4155637700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Monday, through Thursday, 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday, 5:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m.
Sunday, 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Mark Sullivan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Allow us to assist in the creation of your next special group dining experience. We offer a selection of private and semi-private dining options, perfect for any celebration or meeting. Custom menus and event planning services are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Hanoian 8776251063
A word from Cafe Des Amis
Café des Amis invites you into the bustling, energetic atmosphere of a ‘neighborhood’ French brasserie, with elegant, relaxed stylings and attentive service. Chef Mark Sullivan and Chef de Cuisine John Cahill have crafted a menu featuring classic brasserie dishes based around locally sourced ingredients, while Wine and Spirits Director Andrew Green has assembled a wine selection focused on the regions of France. Located on the corner of Union and Buchanan in the heart of the Union Street Shopping District, Café des Amis is the perfect place to satisfy that craving for a well chosen wine, hand crafted cocktail or late night meal. We look forward to welcoming you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (39)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (29)special occasion (28)great for lunch (28)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (16)good for groups (14)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Versatile, elegant and deliciousFoodlover57VIPDined on 10/15/2014I had no hesitation having a business lunch at Cafe des Amis. While it is great for Mother's Day brunch or a birthday dinner, it is also very healthy and offers delicious choices for a business lunch or dinner. The decor is sophisticated and airy, one can talk without being overheard or make a great deal of noise. It depends on the time of day and where you choose to sit. I come here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanfranciscojtSanfranciscojtDined on 10/12/2014It took a full hour before we got anything at out table. No wine. No bread. Nothing. It was not crowded. Finally we went into the restaurant and searched around and found someone and asked where ou.r wine was and could we get some bread or something. The manager came out and said "I can get that for you", as if we asked him for a special favor. We ordered two butter lettuce salads to start. About 20 minutes later one arrived. We had to ask for the second one and it took 15 minutes to get there. It went downhill from there. He took our wine away to keep cool and we had to go back in again and ask someone if we could have it back after our glasses stood empty for about 15 minutes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/3/2014Like being in Paris, the food and ambience delivers!Special Features:
- Donovan59VIPDined on 9/16/2014Love this place but disappointed they took the Duck Confit off the menu (been a while since I was there)! I had the flatiron steak and frites instead - rather tough and not tender - and if you're going to offer steak/frites you have to have bearnaise sauce. The fries seemed thicker too -prefer thinner. Daniel our waiter, however, was wonderful!Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerSFfoodieVIPDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I just spent our 2nd wedding anniversary dinnner at Des Amis and were blown away by the delicious food and amazing service. It was a Tuesday and so it was definitely a quieter night but even so, everything was impecable and to make things even better, it was half priced wine night - naturally we ordered a bottle of French champagne to celebrate. We started with a half-dozen oysters which were so fresh and tasty, followed by the gnocchi - perfectly light and fluffy - and the onion soup - perfect for a foggy night in the city. Entrees were killer as well... I had the steak tartare and my husband had the chicken paillard - no complaints. To go along with the great food our waiter was even better - so welcoming and polite.Special Features:
- MarsanDined on 9/1/2014The ambiance is appealing. We arrived at 4:30p.m. and the audio was very loud. We asked to have it lowered and they accommodated us. Haley, our server, was very helpful and polite. Fun place for lunch. My, selection, melted ham & cheese sandwich, was very dry. The calamari appetizer was great. The butter lettuce looked delicious and the ahi tuna was good. One breast of the roasted chicken was dry the other was moist.Special Features:
- ALWAYS A GREAT MEALOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014French bistro grill food, short menu, great staff, awesome bartenders....always our go to restaurant for special celebrations, brunch or perfect city dining without too much fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with DavidchocoladVIPDined on 8/24/2014This has become a favourite venue for weekend brunch. The staff is always pleasant and there to provide anything you might need. The menu is varied and interesting. I enjoy the Quiche and Omelets and will have to try some of the other offerings. I recommend it for all ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedFrenchieDined on 8/15/2014I tried this place several times in the past. When they first opened, it was great. The design and service of the restaurant is still great but the taste of food has suffered. It's probably partly the clientele's fault for leaning towards American comfort food it seemed as I was noticing what people were ordering. I tried the niocci and the lamb entree both lacked flavor and the sauce tasteless. Definitely don't order the lamb. They are good for bruch, hamburger and seafood trays. By the look of the restaurant, I expected better food. I will probably go back for the ambiance, lunch and brunch but I think there are better places in the city for dinner around this price range.Special Features:
- My little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Went a friend for a little celebration, and as always it was lovely. Delia CrawfordSpecial Features:
- Bistro cafeGenevois2Dined on 8/14/2014True to Bistro style restaurant with decor and ambience to match. Food is very good,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BistromaniaHofameVIPDined on 8/12/2014Nice representation of that Paris place we all like to visit. Food is pretty good, menu is authentic, wine list superior, and drink service spot on. Charming young waiter who admitted under cross-examination he had fled from Clovis. We had a good time here.Special Features:
- Good choice at Union streetSeafoodDined on 8/10/2014Good looking place, should be good for the group as they have separate dining area. Food was ranging from outstanding to so so. Waiter forgot several entries and to bring the spoon, but corrected with an extra portion and desert. Place was not particularly crowded on Sunday evening, but it should be. Overall, good find, away from tourist crowd.Special Features:
- mehpanioloDined on 8/9/2014thought of this as a busy, fun place, but on saturday at 7:30pm the place was empty. awkward intro maitre d who tried to be funny and wasn't. empty tables, and those there looked like tourists. food was good, but took a solid hour for to arrive. everyone in our group complained about the delays. not sure if the decline of betelnut next door is a factor, but that corner-- which used to be fun and packed-- felt abandoned.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Loved the mussels au curry and the salade lyonnaise. Friendly service. Very pleasant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Saturday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Four of us had a 7:45 reservation on a Saturday night. The place had a nice bar to get drinks before sitting down. Food was very good - we had the butter lettuce salad, pate and salad lyonnaise for apps, mains: halibut, steak frites, seafood ravioli and mushroom vol-au-vent. All dishes were well prepared and tasty. Also the side of fries were really really tasty! Service was solid and never felt rushed. We would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Oui Oui OuiMandyDined on 7/25/2014Incredible food (get the duck!), great service, fab locale. Love this place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Duck was amazing , Bouchon a MUST have for desert. host Aaron in fantastic 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem, poor serviceBSPPDined on 7/18/2014I had been to Cafe Des Amis twice before, once for dinner and brunch, and had excellent service and food. This time was horrible. We were seated outside and after 50 minutes we still hadn't placed a drink order, much less food. This was also after notifying the hostess and maître d twice because our waitress was nowhere to be found. Then when our waitress did finally reappear after our order was placed with the maître d the only apology we got was the offer of free calamari which we didn't want since we had already ordered according to our hunger and preferences. Finally the bill came which totaled $120+ for 2 ppl and not even a round of drinks were comped to remedy the experience. It will be a long time before I return to cafe Des Amis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal in an attractive settingChewer007VIPDined on 7/12/2014We had an early dinner at the Des Amis and enjoyed it very much. Front of house staff a little cool, but our waiter was very warm and helpful. Gnocchi and mixed salad (hard to describe how great that was no matter how prosaic it sounds) were high spots. The atmosphere is very autherntic of a Parisian Brasserie, however the music, mostly contemporary American was a little to loud for my taste. The acoustics of the room are reflective as is the trend today. This is great as long as your hearing holds up. I'm kind of on the backside of that deal, so sometimes it's a stuggle to hear in these settings. I suppose it's a tactic if you want to drive the older clientele away.
- AlfieVIPDined on 7/11/2014My second time here - came back for the soft rolled omelets which are deliciously different...have not had them done this way anywhere else. The fries and bread were excellent. The service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 7/8/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant, have been introducing friends to it and everyone goes back. DeliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewerDined on 7/7/2014food / wine was excellent. would have liked more candle light. The candle lamps on the table don't work well. average serviceSpecial Features:
- So soKatat49Dined on 7/5/2014Halibut was great -best part. bar noise interfered with conversation for about half the dinner. Few wine by glass choices. Pricier than overall restaurant warrants .I would recommend this to a friend.
- The very best!capercatsDined on 7/5/2014Charming ambience! Our service was excellent from start to finish: professional, great suggestions, etc. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious. We asked for a quiet table for two and were seated in a perfect spot for us. We were not rushed and were able to enjoy a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Neighborhood BistroLDSFVIPDined on 7/3/2014Good bistro food well prepared. Full bar. Friendly staff. We had a very good wait person. We enjoyed the French bistro items on the menu along with the oysters, which were wonderful. A friendly, relaxed, attractive place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ParisDeliaVIPDined on 7/3/2014As always great service, they have a happy hour that starts at 3pm, love their oysters!!! DeliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Nice, ButRegularDinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014We have gone to Des Amis a number of times and always enjoyed all aspects very much. We went again to celebrate a birthday. The food and ambience was generally good but the service was spotty around the edges. While the waitress, bartender and table servers weren't very helpful or attentive, the manager listened carefully and addressed the issues. We will return again but hope we get a more seamless experience with getter trained staff next time. Let's get this restaurant back to five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like being in FranceSuziGVIPDined on 6/30/2014Absolutely delightful casual French bistro. Food is exceptional, wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly . Terrific ambiance - I felt right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great benedictdanjefferDined on 6/28/2014The eggs benedict was delicious and the oysters were also very tasty.Special Features:
- The following 675 reviews are from the Cafe Des Amis reviews archive.
- for our anniversaryfoodfanDined on 6/21/2014Everything was perfect. The lamb and steak was excellent, as was the salad and gnoochi. Great cocktails and beer choices, as well as a nice wine list. Sizeable but feels intimate, and great location. The desserts are super great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SPECIALSCarmelrestaurantgoerDined on 6/19/2014Their daily specials. We had a two pound lobster, prepared perfectly for $28.00. Good table and service. Only negative would be a lack of good red wine in the $38.00 to $50.00 range. We brought our own and paid the corkage and ordered a couple of extra glasses. Third time there in last year and has become a habit when we visit San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Parisian bistrocoastsidemomVIPDined on 6/15/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere (having been to Paris 5 times over the past 2 years) but were disappointed in the service - waiter never checked to see if we wanted anything (I had to ask for wine) and kept us waiting for dessert for a very long time. He took off the cost of one of the desserts because of the delay, but meantime he had left us waiting without coming back to keep us posted. The food was good but not great - hubby had the roasted chicken which he thought was good, and I had the duck a l'orange which was good but not great. We ordered a trio of cheese as appetizer; tasty but portions were small - the accompanying spicy nuts were excellent as was the bread. Profiterole dessert was outstanding but pain perdu was disappointing.
- ChowhoundDined on 6/15/2014The food is always excellent here, top flight service, waiters know wine list pretty well.Special Features:
- LaviDined on 6/12/2014I went there for dine about town lunch. The zucchini soup for appetizer was very good! I loved it. The main was cod, I liked the food but it was really salty that I can even see the salt on the fish.
- Knows how to cook eggchickenandeggVIPDined on 6/8/2014There are 2 things a chef/cook needs to master, cooking eggs and roasting a chicken, sadly most places don't know how to cook eggs properly. I am very happy to say that "Cafe des Amis" is not one of them! Their omelets are perfect and picture perfect. You are in experts hands, dishes don't disappoint. The service is unexpectedly near outstanding, but I did have one mishap (on a very busy day.)Special Features:
- DisappointingAlfieVIPDined on 5/23/2014I'd wanted to try this place for a while and finally took my friend for her birthday. Sad to say we were very disappointed. The food was mediocre to poor - the escarole in the chicken salad was tough and in big pieces and the dressing tasted bitter; the soft rolled omelet was tasty but lacking in presentation; the profiteroles were substandard - the puff pastry part did not taste fresh and the ice cream filling was not good at all. The worst part was the poor wait service - we had to ask for bread twice before it was brought and the waiter was not attentive to our needs - any interaction was pro forma only and we definitely did not get any sense the waiter cared whether we liked the food or not, or whether we were having a good experience.
- Nice dinnerFrankDined on 5/15/2014great food, good atmosphere. a really nice evening. The service was excellent very friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently greatWellworthrecommendingVIPDined on 5/14/2014What a wonderful total experience....service, food, ambience. From the minute you arrive and are greeted, everything just falls into place and you know you're at a well run restaurant. The menu changes from time to time, the wine list is interesting and the servers are knowledgeable and competent. The happy hour scene is a lot of fun and the $1.25 oysters are superb !Special Features:
- Good items to order:OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Go for the burger & French onion soup. Lovely hostess but the waiter should be replaced.I would recommend this to a friend.