Cafe Del Sol
6502 132 ave NW
Edmonton, AB T5A0J8Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
Cafe Del Sol
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedelsol.ca/
- Phone: 7807588890
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Sunday: 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Michael D. Wozney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Catering: Check with us for all your catering needs, for an intimate catered dinner for two or a party for two hundred. We can cater to any size and any cuisine let our experienced chef plan the perfect event for you
- Private Party Facilities: Ask us about taking over for the night, we often rent out the entire restaurant for the special occasion, accommodating up to fifty guests...come and enjoy our hospitality with that special group....from birthdays to work party even children's parties let us be your destination.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Wozney 7808024401
A word from Cafe Del Sol
Authentic Mexican Cuisine without the Plane Ride....Authentic Family Recipes and warm hospitality add to the freshly made items......bringing the very best of Mexico right here to the heart of EdmontonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Del Sol reviews from OpenTable diners
- A "Must Visit" Mexican restarant.WadeMDined on 8/31/2013This restaurant is a "must visit" for any Mexican cuisine lovers. The food is fresh, hot and authentic Mexican. The tacos were the best I have tasted outside of Mexico, and the lunchtime atmosphere replete with mostly spanish speakers-I tell-tale sign for me. We must return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013Decided to check this out as a fan of authentic Mexican cuisine. The decor is what you would expect from a restaurant in a strip mall. Service was fairly good, but as the restaurant got busier our server was MIA for large periods of time. Still pretty good considering there were only a couple servers during busy dinner service. Now the food. Well, I was really looking forward to tamale, but they didn't have it available. That is not a good sign when you are about to start the meal. The rest of the meal was good, but nothing blew me away. I would come here again on a day/time that was not as busy and see if that makes a difference. Still a decent little family run restaurant that is still trying to find it's groove.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gggrrreeeaaattt!!!!!AuntiemimmiDined on 8/24/2013Wonderful fun and fun atmosphere with a special touch from Momma, the cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so hot mexicanaheres2youDined on 8/17/2013It was my first time here. I did find the atmosphere charming, but the food wasn't the greatest. I've had better Mexican food.
- Great restaurant. Out of theMadsDined on 8/15/2013Great restaurant. Out of the way, but worth the trip. The food is fantastic and the energy of the place is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and flavourful!DelwoodneighbourDined on 8/9/2013We love having Café Del Sol in our end of town, especially after Café Amore moved away. Café Del Sol's Mexican food is delicious - fresh and flavourful! We are working our way through the menu and now have many favourites. Their decor is bright, colourful and casual. Prices are very reasonable.The warm friendly service can get delayed when the restaurant is busy, but any delays are served with smiling apologies, and the atmosphere is fun. Reservations recommended for supper on weekends. Check website for menu and hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic & Tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2013This was our first visit to Cafe Del Sol and it won't be our last! Service was friendly & quick. The food was excellent. I had the Chicken Mole, tender & juicy with a delicious mole sauce, hubby had the Beef Birria - so flavorful! Our friend had the Spicy Black Tiger Shrimp special, which she enjoyed thoroughly and our grandson sampled the Chipotle Chicken tacos. This is authentic, from scratch cooking - absolutely enjoyed every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a failure, Always a Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2013This was our second time at Cafe del Sol and we enjoyed it every bit as our last visit. We went for dinner the first time and this time for lunch. Both times the food, the atmosphere and the people were wonderful. You have to try this tasty delight. If you thought the food in Mexico was good...this is much, much better!Special Features:
- 1st timeNewguyDined on 7/27/2013In reading past reviews we knew what to expect. Our server was fine but when assisted by the other on duty one could tell where the service criticisms originated. Food was a high quality! Presentation, hmmm not at the same level. I will be back to see how they progress. The flower juice was good even though a bit on the sweet sideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic to a faultElDoradosDined on 7/20/2013Cafe del Sol had a truly authentic look and feel. We frequent Mexico and were looking for a place that wasn't commercialized like other more popular Mexican restaurants. What we got was a great atmosphere with below average service. In their defence we did have a fairly large group (12) but it did seem a little disorganized. Our meals came out in batches, so some people were almost done eating before others received their meals. The food was a mixed review. Those who ordered the burritos and quesadillas were disappointed, those who ordered the tacos were very happy. Food is bland and needs salsa and beans to add any taste. I might try again for a lunch with 2 or 3 friends but no groups larger than that.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe de SolPapayaDined on 7/4/2013Great service! Delicious and authentic Mexican food. Quaint location. Wish it had AC as it was very hot in there! Would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Mexican fareCherryDined on 7/4/2013Feeling nostalgic for another trip to Mexico than you will enjoy going to Cafe Del Sol for an authentic night out. Fantastic food and a traditional Mexican vibe. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, solid, comfy diningOmnivorousDined on 7/3/2013A fine neighbourhood restaurant that offers a very nice version of Mexican cuisine. Service was a bit slow, possibly because the two servers were handling a full room. But our server was very friendly and helpful. Everyone in our party of four was able to find something satisfying on the menu, ranging from mild to spicey. We departed happy, with our appetites sated. I plan to return and sample other Café del Sol offerings - they're bound to be good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2013We tried Cafe Del Sol for the first time but it definitely will not be our last! The food was so flavorful and authentic to Mexico. We actually just came back from there and had tried the local food on the famous 5th Ave a few times. Cafe Del Sol can easily compare to the bold, rich flavors we tasted in Mexico and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. The salsa was very authentic to Mexico and the appetizer of nachos was huge with fresh jalapenos! We tried the beef burrito and the chipolate chicken quesadilla, rounded off with authentic Mexican beer! Everything we tried tasted mouth watering fresh and made your taste buds tingle. We will definitely be back. Thanks Cafe Del Sol was a great night out.Special Features:
- Welcome to Mexico (where it snows)YogibearDined on 6/26/2013This is a delightful find. The restaurant is on the small side with about 20 tables. It is decorasted very nicely to give you a feel of Mexico and there is Mexican music . The staff are all from Mexico and the food is authentic to several regions of Mexico. The owners mothers works in the kitchen and so make all of the sauces in a truly authentic way. The serving staff are hwelpful in making recommendations. The Food is delicious. Only mexican beer is available. I will be back to this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Cute Mexican place, margaritasWolchanVIPDined on 6/20/2013Cute Mexican place, margaritas are thoroughly underwhelming. Fresh ingredients in the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Ramsay, help this place!!!JedibikerDined on 6/16/2013I eat in restaurants all the time, and worked for 6 years in restaurants, so when I say this is the worst service ever, it REALLY means something. When the seating capacity of the restaurant rivals that of a garden shed, taking over half an hour to get our drink order is abysmal. I made a reservation, but that was a waste of time, because the staff seemed to be more concerned about the next table. The food itself was good, but after taking an hour and a half to get it, I was so hungry, they could have fed me work camp food and I would have gobbled it up. I don't mind ambiance music, as long as it isn't turned up so loud that I have to shout at the person across the table from me. Overall, avoid Café del Sol, unless Chef Ramsay helps them.
- Authentically MexcianJen12Dined on 6/15/2013The food was really good and authentically Mexican. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Music was a little loud but my family and I really enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican DiningStAfoodieDined on 6/15/2013The looks of the restaurant can be deceiving as it's small and non-nondescript on the exterior. It doesn't seat a lot of people but a few people came in without reservations and got a seat. The food was quite good and authentic tasting. The service was friendly and the waitress was attentive. The menu is small but the prices are reasonable. I would recommend that people check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff and service was great!Luv2eatDined on 6/5/2013Staff and service was great! Server took time to explain menu and translate. Lots of food and banana dessert was very tasty, also like the ambience of Latin music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Treat!CBTSDined on 5/4/2013We have finally found a wonderful Mexican Restaurant in Edmonton. It is small, so reservations are recommended, because it is a very popular place. The food is amazing! The service is friendly and the ambience makes you feel like you are in Mexico. We were there for the Cinco del Mayo celebration and enjoyed every minute.Special Features:
- A fun, family run restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013A fun, family run restaurant. Authentic Mexican food, in a casual atmosphere. All our choices were delicious. You can't be in a rush when you eat here, this delicious food arrives when it's ready!Special Features:
- The food is authentic butLauraDined on 4/10/2013The food is authentic but lacked any excitement. I ordered the spinach and mushroom appetizer and there were peppers but no spinach at all! I enjoyed it and would recommend for a casual night but it in no way blew my socks off! It got amazing reviews but not sure why? The music was great and the woman who served everyone in the restaurant was friendly and lovely but the flourescent lighting was harsh and the food mediocre. Still enjoyable but not the best hidden gem in the city.Special Features:
- I loved the vibrant coloursOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2013I loved the vibrant colours of the decor, and the serving staff were helpful in explaining the menu and friendly. Our meals were fresh, hot and delicious. We found the music to be too loud to easily converse. It was a Saturday night, and the tables were consistently filled, all ages including little kids. Great to have such a fun place in northeast Edmonton!Special Features:
- Delicious, very authentic,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013Delicious, very authentic, we felt like we were dining on 5th Ave in Playa Del Carmen, except for the snow outside. We will be returningSpecial Features:
- Very nice decor... food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Very nice decor... food was great... loved that it wasn't super salty like most food you get. Would like to try something different next time.Special Features:
- It is family run and operatedCharlesCosbyDined on 2/14/2013It is family run and operated , it is nice to see that in the industry. It was a wee bit full as it was Valentines, the food was worth the wait , the service was amazing, the noise was a bit much because the room was full. They gave out roses to the ladies , it felt like home , and the food is all home cooked.Special Features:
- Excellent, authentic MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Excellent, authentic Mexican food at a bargain price - less than $50 for three of us, with a couple of beers included. Surroundings were clean. Food was hot. Pleasant energetic family ambience with a Hispanic twist.Special Features:
- Love the location! When lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Love the location! When looking for authentic Mexican the one thing I expect is homemade nacho chips. Theirs were what you get when you open any bag of nacho chips, fine but a little disapointed. Guacamole was excellent! Overall food was good a wee bit salty we both thought. The service was excellent and VERY cheerful. We would go back for sure. The Churros were to die for!!Special Features:
- a mexican gemken0001VIPDined on 12/1/2012An excellent option for real Mexican food. Very affordable prices but don’t get disguise with the price, the food is delicious! And the service is outstanding tooSpecial Features:
- Such a fun evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012We had such a great time here! We weren't sure about the look of the place when we drove up to the restaurant, but quickly realized that you can't judge a book by its cover. The music was fairly loud, and there lots of people in this little place so the music simply made it feel more like we were in Mexico. Food was great! Loved the guacamole, the pork carnitas were oh-so-good, churros were so yummy, we had to order more. After dinner, there was dancing which you could join if you chose. This is a family-run store, and Mama (who cooks) came out after our meal to see if we liked it. All in all, a great night and we will be back.Special Features:
- I purchased a dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012I purchased a dinner for 4 via travelzoo and when we first pulled up to the resturant we wanted to drive away because of the area. We decided to go inside and we have no regrets. The Food was original Mexican cuisine and not some franchise tasting food. I would recommend Cafe Del Sol to anyone. Sidar SSpecial Features:
- This is typical Mexican fare.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2012This is typical Mexican fare. Beans, cheese, enchiladas, hot salsa and, of course, cerveza. It was a busy evening for the restaurant. Always people coming in and they seemed to seat customers effectively. Ambiance was bare minimum but you really don't need much more.Special Features:
- A great, family-run restaurantGeezerDined on 11/22/2012A great, family-run restaurant with friendly staff serving delicious Mexican fare at reasonable prices. A small and very casual, brightly-lit environment. Well worth the 40-minute drive from our home.Special Features:
- Feeling Angry and CheatedGweenyVIPDined on 9/21/2012This was a deeply disappointing experience. When we first walked in, I thought, "This looks just like a cafe in Mexico." I had expectations. But they were not fulfilled. There were only a bottle and a half of wine in the place. And the full bottle was white wine, sitting on top of the fridge. Halfway through our time in the restaurant, the management suddenly turned the lights on full, so it was like eating in a brightly lit cafeteria. And then they lost our order, so we sat foodless for a long long time. The steak was a greasy fried steak, but the pollo mole was quite good. The tortillas looked a lot like Safeway tortillas. We left feeling angry and cheated.