Cafe de la Presse
352 Grant Ave
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe de la Presse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedelapresse.com/
- Phone: 4153982680x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Mr. Patrick Albert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Depending on the number of people and the type of party, we can tailor a special menu and provide some advice.
- Private Party Facilities: We can provide semi-private parties; private accommodations may be possible by closing the downstairs dining room. Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4153982680x
A word from Cafe de la Presse
For centuries, cafes the world over have provided patrons with entertainment that draws on all walks of life. In these gathering places of art, politics, fashion, and everyday events, cafe-goers partake in a unique convergence of eclectic culture and traditional cuisine. Parisian-inspired Cafe de la Presse continues the trend with international literature, classic fare, and the age-old pastime of dining, relaxing, and conversing in a vibrant atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe de la Presse reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (46)great for brunch (35)fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (16)special occasion (14)notable wine list (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Best croque- monsieur!!!SocialLeslieVIPDined on 8/21/2014This charming little French restaurant is a great find. I had my first croque- Monsieur here years ago and loved it! I then began to try others across the city. I was surprised at how they differed. Cafe de la Presse wins hands down! There is something to the cruspiness of the bread and cheese combo that just is delicious. Try it and you'll see! I am now a regular there and turn people on to my obsession often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and DeliciousSnailsRUsDined on 8/10/2014Eggs Benedict were wonderful. Perfectly poached eggs. Loved my Bastille drink - orange juice, champagne and Grand Marnier. We enjoyed sitting outside but the interior is charming. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great DinnerbarthawkDined on 8/2/2014Had a early dinner here before going to a play at the SF Playhouse.. The service was quick but not intrusive. Food was very good, I had the duck confit and I really enjoyed it. For dessert I had a the chocolate hazelnut profiterole item which was a little heavy on the nutella sauce. Oyster appetizer was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Great food, okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/29/2014I had the beef burgundy (decided not to attempt the French spelling) and it was great: deep flavors and plenty of beef. The service was acceptable and friendly but left a little to be desired: they did not replace the water bottle when it was empty from about half-way through the meal and they never offered us the dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service - and GREAT burgerNeverAgainDined on 7/28/2014The server we had was over the top - full of enthusiasm, charm, and just added so much to the already great experience. I tried to hire him for a tech company. he could sell anything! And then the burger with blue cheese was wonderful, and the duck confit. and the wine selection... oh so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youloveurbanityDined on 7/25/2014We were there 'catching up' with one another, for quite some time. No one rushed us out. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mary AnneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/16/2014The attendant Olivier was very welcoming and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic breakfastGlobegirl747Dined on 7/13/2014We dined here for breakfast , I made a booking for 5 including myself & my colleagues, the omelettes were tasty, the coffee was like velvet and the Almond croissants , simply pastry heaven !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist CentralLuvFrench1VIPDined on 7/12/2014This has always been one of my favorite French stops in the city. It reminds me of Paris like no other restaurant I've found. The last time I dined, however, as different. We sat outside which is right next to the tourist Sightseeing bus (multiple) drop off. There was a constant stream of tourists and bus exhaust during our meal. Not for me. I'm a local and travel across the city to come to Cafe de la Presse. Next time, I'll definitely stay indoors.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I was quite disappointed with the level of service that I received this time, but it is typically much better. Hopefully they were just having an off day.
- AveragechesapeakeVADined on 7/3/2014Very busy, average food, food was brought out on dirty dishes.
- Excellent service and great foodJARTHURSFDined on 7/3/2014Lunch at Café de la Presse is very nice and relaxed. The food--we both had the quiche Lorraine--was very good, and the service was excellent. The waitress was very patient when my dining companion was 1/2 hour late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best croissants! Fair menu choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014This place knows french baking! Excellent pastries, great coffee! The menu items seemed somewhat basic and no frills. It was tasty, hot, but not exceptional. If you have the chance, sit outside where the ambience is great for watching the city while maintaining a conversation with your guests. Great spot for this neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014I've been to Cafe de la Presse many times and never thought the service was stellar but it was OK. Until last weekend. After waiting 30 minutes for drinks to arrive we inquired with our waiter who simply said, the barrista is on a break. Fair enough but you don't really need a barrista to get a coke. Meanwhile we got our hot drinks towards the end of the meal... I also requested if we could have a small cake for a birthday but no one ever got back to me on that, so we just ordered dessert. All in all the food was good but goodness the service was way too slow and barely polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food!!Gr8BeachRealtorVIPDined on 6/22/2014if you make a reservation you always get seated.. interesting wine list. great bread and pastriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchdeevDined on 6/22/2014The menu serves up classic brunch items such as eggs benedict, omelettes, french toast, in addition to several salads and sandwiches. If you arrive past noon, then you can opt for steak/frites or roast chicken to name a couple. It is well located at the entrance to Chinatown and great for people watching!!Special Features:
- Best in Frisco!jaxupraDined on 6/20/2014We just spent 48 hours in San Francisco, and ate 4 of 6 meals at Cafe de la Presse. It was, and still is, our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- MarkKVIPDined on 6/20/2014I had higher expectations for this restaurant. The hosts were arrogant and/or indifferent when our party checked in and I am not quite sure why. We dine in San Francisco all of the time and we never deal with negative attitude. But then again we hardly ever eat in the Union Square area. The waiter was pleasant enough and the food was fine, but I will not be in a hurry to go back.
- Will be back to Cae de la Pressemarbro09Dined on 6/14/2014The location suited our requirements beautifully. Your web site captured the locale perfectly. A very short walk from the Union Square area hotels. We had dinner down stairs in the more formal dining area. I would love to dine outside on the street on a sunny day. The food and service excellent. The waiter even accommodated my brothers overly sensitive nose for wines. He chose two to have my brother and his wife taste. I would recommend you to friends and already have to my colleagues in the SF offices of Robert Half located at 50 California StSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- calm respiteheartyVIPDined on 6/13/2014Always a pleasant experience but the menu is getting a bit tired. How about some new items?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Francis Bien-OverallCityLightsDined on 6/12/2014While the menu does not have a wide range of selection, it would seem that what is made is made well. The braised beef was delectable as was the croissant bread pudding. The chicken breast was regrettably dry, but the accompanying salad of fennel and radish was refreshing. I had to ask if I could have coffee with my dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner with friendsgillvdwDined on 6/10/2014This was our first time for dinner at this restaurant, we have had brunch and lunch here often. Took friends who are visiting from NZ. Great evening, fantastic rabbit and duck dishes. Gorgeous waiter with big blue eyes. I was surprised that even in the city people eat early, practically empty by 10pm.Special Features:
- San Francisco GemSctphilDined on 6/3/2014Dinner at the Cafe de la Presse was superb. I had escargot, lamb stew, and an almond cherry tart for dessert and all three were delicious (especially the escargot). The service was both attentive and friendly. I'm definitely coming back the next time I'm in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Better for lunchSalleDined on 5/25/2014I have been coming a couple of times to La Presse the last 3 years when visiting SF. Always for breakfast or lunch. This time I tried dinner and was a bit disappointed. Service was not as good as during lunch. A bit lazy and not "american friendly" but not bad. I just like breakfast and lunch better but being my first visit dinner time I will definitely try it again for dinner. I lover the place so I will come back.Special Features:
- little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014I remembered the time I went to Cafe de la Presse prior to this time okay (not very good but not bad). But this time, the food was very disappointing, and the service was okay. They were closing early (9pm or so). I also did not feel vibrant.
- A great breakfastMariaDined on 5/16/2014El desayuno delicioso, los platos muy bien servidos y el restaurante muy bonito. Un muy buen lugar para desayunar. Lo recomendamos mucho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect French ambience!SFnewbieDined on 5/13/2014Cafe de le Presse is très chic! It was the perfect setting on a hot day and enjoyed a glass of wine on their patio. Must try the croissant pudding with chocolate syrup. So decadent!Special Features:
- French CafeJeremyDined on 5/12/2014If you want closer to France you may have to fly there. This was my first time dining at Cafe de la Presse, but definitely won't be the last. Good wine and cocktail selection. Braised beef and crab cakes were delicious. Had our choice of tables and were provided with excellent service. Point of interest: Restaurant is across the street from main gates of Chinatown....you may or may not like that if dining outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Hav2boysDined on 5/11/2014Just happened upon this place, but it was the best surprise place for a lovely Mothers Day brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentdinerwholovesgoodserviceDined on 5/10/2014Highly recommend. Food is good, atmosphere seems "special" and all wait persons are very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SDSFDined on 5/9/2014good beef bourguignon with a nice combination of a mac & cheese side, our waiter was extremely helpful nice buzzy cafe atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Always good food and serviceEddieVIPDined on 5/8/2014Cafe de la Presse is one of our favorite go-to places when we want good French food and friendly service. Have eaten there many times and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- lovely / dependableOaklanderVIPDined on 5/8/2014Great location and ambiance for out-of-town guests. SF/Euro feel. Large dining room feels special. Dependable food. I had the salad nicoise and was not disappointed. My guest had the special of the day, Sea Bass and very much enjoyed it. Relaxing, enjoyable, special atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 865 reviews are from the Cafe de la Presse reviews archive.
- always yummy and buzzinggoodfoodVIPDined on 5/1/2014what more is there to say - it's consistently busy and energetic and although the food is knock your socks off, it's always yummy and reliable, and the energy is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant & food, bad waiter63mikeDined on 4/26/2014My wife and I loved the French food here, the atmosphere and our wine choice. Our waiter could care less we were there. Another waiter took our order and then was replaced by Andrew. We had no problem with that. Another waiter brought our food, Andrew never came by to ask about our dinner, never asked if we wanted another glass of wine or more bread. Another waiter came by and picked up our plates and boxed up our leftovers. Not once did Andrew stop by for anything except to bring us our check. Not friendly and had no eye contact. Did not seem very interested in his job. We went the next day for lunch but were careful to not sit in his section. Our waitress that day was wonderful and of course the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; service spottySaponeDined on 4/26/2014The beef Bourgogne was very tasty -- like our experiences in Paris -- fine salads, a nice French wine selection, but we experienced substandard service : inattention and lack of timeliness. We will come back, but we will expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent San Francisco FindLaalvaraVIPDined on 4/24/2014My friend lives here in San Francisco. We were visiting for the week. She recommended this wonderful place to eat. The food was amazing, wine list was impressive, and the atmosphere was perfect for couples, groups, and even families. All are quite welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food done rightMattandBluDined on 4/18/2014I wanted a nice romantic lunch with my partner to be with out getting on a jet just an uber, this place was perfect everything every bite perfect...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/16/2014Server was friendly and attentive. Food was good - great downtown location - love the French feeling and magazines rack!Special Features:
- A Great Place in a Great TownVtwinguyDined on 4/14/2014We asked friends that know San Francisco for a good place for dinner. This is the one they recommended and we're glad they did. It's in an area close to some pretty highbrow shopping so fellas, get a map and maybe you can figure out a way to avoid them. There were 4 of us and we all came out with the promise that we'd be back again. Creme Brulee and Cappuccino for dessert were the best.Special Features: