Cafe de la Presse
352 Grant Ave
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe de la Presse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedelapresse.com/
- Phone: 4153982680x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Mr. Patrick Albert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Depending on the number of people and the type of party, we can tailor a special menu and provide some advice.
- Private Party Facilities: We can provide semi-private parties; private accommodations may be possible by closing the downstairs dining room. Please call the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4153982680x
A word from Cafe de la Presse
For centuries, cafes the world over have provided patrons with entertainment that draws on all walks of life. In these gathering places of art, politics, fashion, and everyday events, cafe-goers partake in a unique convergence of eclectic culture and traditional cuisine. Parisian-inspired Cafe de la Presse continues the trend with international literature, classic fare, and the age-old pastime of dining, relaxing, and conversing in a vibrant atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe de la Presse reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)great for lunch (41)great for brunch (36)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (13)romantic (13)special occasion (13)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Eat insidefoodforthoughtVIPDined on 10/19/2014I used to really enjoy this place but the food is mediocre and the service is poor.
- Union Square Brunch SpotdebluvsfoodDined on 10/19/2014Although there is a limited menu the food was good and the service quick. Fresh pink grapefruit juice was great! I had the ham and cheese omelet and they were very accommodating making it with egg whites and adding spinach. Cute interior and outside seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in The CityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014You don't have to be a Francophile to appreciate their menu and drink selection. We brunch here regularly and have never been disappointed. Near shopping in Union Square, tourism in China Town, and a cab ride from anywhere this is a popular tourist spot so make reservations or expect to wait 30 minutes for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing lunch; great locationMandMVIPDined on 10/17/2014It had been too long since I'd been to Café de la Presse, so I suggested it when meeting a friend for lunch. The location was perfect and the ambiance was really nice allowing us to catch up in a very SF atmosphere (friend is visiting from out of town). Unfortunately, our soup and salad were very bland. Very, very bland. Our server was helpful and checked in just often enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service and foodJohnDined on 10/8/2014Service was especially wonderful this time. I come here about once a month, and will return again. Even though I came a bit early, I was seated promptly while I waited for my lunch guest. The server was attentive without being cloying, and able to anticipate. My order of chicken was very much to my liking. It is the kind of menu where I am motivated to eventually try everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicebizouDined on 10/6/2014The food is excellent. I had the duck dish. The duck skin is crisp and perfectly cooked. My wife has the boeuf Bourguignon, the beef short ribs was very tender. We have an excellent server, Marcus.Special Features:
- Don't sit outside!NoisyDined on 10/5/2014I love outdoor eating.........but between the tour busses stopping at the corner every 2 minutes and the loud music from next door's hotel, it was quite unpleasant. I ordered a salad, so I can't review the menu, but the salad was pretty ordinary. Salade Nicoise for $19 using canned tuna? Not acceptable.
- Casual FrenchtravelerbgDined on 9/20/2014Enjoyable casual french restaurant. Ambiance was pleasant but not especially romantic or scenic. Food was reasonably priced and did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Good food, limited menuEric1FoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014So we liked the entrees and the little aperitif that was served gratis. One person had fish, one filet, one hanger steak. Sauces were good, of source, this is a french restaurant. The escargot were ok. The bread was good. Would go back but prefer the lunch menu, croque monsieur is great as i recall. Enjoy this little gem, lots of french speakers in the place is always a good sign.Special Features:
- FoodiegirlDined on 9/14/2014We stumbled upon this little gem unexpectedly on a visit to Chinatown. Crossing the thresh hold we stepped into a Paris bistro complete with scraped wood floors, wait staff properly attired in black trousers, vests n white shirts with bistro aprons. The croissants were buttery, flaky and hot. Fruit plate composed of fresh fruit.We had bowls of cafe au lait that was excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great VibeDianaVIPDined on 9/14/2014We went for brunch. I had the omelet, filled with tomatoes, spinach and feta. It was filling, but light. It came with yummy "home fries" - diced potatoes with the skin on and wheat toast. Creamy butter and smooth raspberry preserves. Husband had the sausage and egg croissant sandwich. I saw someone's plate of pancakes. They looked so good; flat, but cake-like. The ambiance was really great, felt like I was in Paris. Great coffee, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always charminglenehDined on 9/11/2014This is a great "go to "place for us when we want to meet our out of town friends who are staying downtownSpecial Features:
- Needs to Respect ReservationsDeeDubDined on 9/10/2014I've always liked this place for lunch or a coffee and was hesitant to try it for dinner because it's quite casual and informal. Though we went to the trouble of making a reservation via Open Table, the restaurant hostess couldn't have cared less that we did. We were told that all the tables were filled and they offered us a high-top table in the bar. I asked whether or not they have a table set aside for us, given that we made a reservation, one we might have to wait even 5 or 10 minutes for, and we were told no. They claimed to have had a couple large groups that just sat down and there wouldn't be anything open for a while. I was disappointed that they disregarded our reservation. We begrudgingly took the bar high-top.Special Features:
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/7/2014Great dinner. For starters the onion soup was sweet, not salty, prefect. The Salade De Chèvre Chaud was delicious. The portion of the steamed black mussels was generous and rich in the wine/cream sauce. The Boeuf Bourguignon was also outstanding. A caution on ordering wine by the glass from the chalkboard - those are vintages not prices. The 10 does not cost $10. Not sure what the desserts are like because we were simply too full to order. But they looked delicious as well. We liked dinner so much we went back for breakfast, but that was not nearly as memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealJohn3VIPDined on 9/5/2014Really had a wonderful meal. Food was great, our server was not only knowledgable, but helpful in making suggestions. Everything was perfectly prepared and served at a great pace! I'll definely be back!Special Features:
- Worst and worst very timelafayettefoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014If you want a place where the greeters indicates that you are bothering her while she does accounting and have a table next to bathroom because the other empty table are for 'other people with reservation' this is the spot ! Used to be good and welcoming. Poorly managed restaurant. Forget about this spot. We left without eating.
- Cafe de la Presse--a slice of ParisadulticeskaterVIPDined on 8/29/2014This charming restaurant reminds me so much of the wonderful bistros in Paris! Great food simply prepared, no unusual additions to detract from the fresh, natural flavors. Lovely ambience, quiet, perfect for lunch or before the theater.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceStevAVIPDined on 8/26/2014Ambiance is Paris and the food and service perfect Enjoyed the entire timeSpecial Features:
- GREAT Findcaliforniadreaming14Dined on 8/22/2014Spied this restaurant from the top of the Hop On Hop Off bus. Intrigued by the French style waitress and outside seating. Needed a nice restaurant for our last evening in San Francisco and found Open Table on Google. Exceeded expectations with French cuisine and Parisienne ambiance. Also not expensive. We thought we had had an evening in Paris.Special Features:
- Best croque- monsieur!!!SocialLeslieVIPDined on 8/21/2014This charming little French restaurant is a great find. I had my first croque- Monsieur here years ago and loved it! I then began to try others across the city. I was surprised at how they differed. Cafe de la Presse wins hands down! There is something to the cruspiness of the bread and cheese combo that just is delicious. Try it and you'll see! I am now a regular there and turn people on to my obsession often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and DeliciousSnailsRUsDined on 8/10/2014Eggs Benedict were wonderful. Perfectly poached eggs. Loved my Bastille drink - orange juice, champagne and Grand Marnier. We enjoyed sitting outside but the interior is charming. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great DinnerbarthawkDined on 8/2/2014Had a early dinner here before going to a play at the SF Playhouse.. The service was quick but not intrusive. Food was very good, I had the duck confit and I really enjoyed it. For dessert I had a the chocolate hazelnut profiterole item which was a little heavy on the nutella sauce. Oyster appetizer was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Great food, okay serviceNWvisitorDined on 7/29/2014I had the beef burgundy (decided not to attempt the French spelling) and it was great: deep flavors and plenty of beef. The service was acceptable and friendly but left a little to be desired: they did not replace the water bottle when it was empty from about half-way through the meal and they never offered us the dessert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service - and GREAT burgerNeverAgainDined on 7/28/2014The server we had was over the top - full of enthusiasm, charm, and just added so much to the already great experience. I tried to hire him for a tech company. he could sell anything! And then the burger with blue cheese was wonderful, and the duck confit. and the wine selection... oh so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank youloveurbanityDined on 7/25/2014We were there 'catching up' with one another, for quite some time. No one rushed us out. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mary AnneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/16/2014The attendant Olivier was very welcoming and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic breakfastGlobegirl747Dined on 7/13/2014We dined here for breakfast , I made a booking for 5 including myself & my colleagues, the omelettes were tasty, the coffee was like velvet and the Almond croissants , simply pastry heaven !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist CentralLuvFrench1VIPDined on 7/12/2014This has always been one of my favorite French stops in the city. It reminds me of Paris like no other restaurant I've found. The last time I dined, however, as different. We sat outside which is right next to the tourist Sightseeing bus (multiple) drop off. There was a constant stream of tourists and bus exhaust during our meal. Not for me. I'm a local and travel across the city to come to Cafe de la Presse. Next time, I'll definitely stay indoors.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I was quite disappointed with the level of service that I received this time, but it is typically much better. Hopefully they were just having an off day.
- AveragechesapeakeVADined on 7/3/2014Very busy, average food, food was brought out on dirty dishes.
- Excellent service and great foodJARTHURSFDined on 7/3/2014Lunch at Café de la Presse is very nice and relaxed. The food--we both had the quiche Lorraine--was very good, and the service was excellent. The waitress was very patient when my dining companion was 1/2 hour late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best croissants! Fair menu choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014This place knows french baking! Excellent pastries, great coffee! The menu items seemed somewhat basic and no frills. It was tasty, hot, but not exceptional. If you have the chance, sit outside where the ambience is great for watching the city while maintaining a conversation with your guests. Great spot for this neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014I've been to Cafe de la Presse many times and never thought the service was stellar but it was OK. Until last weekend. After waiting 30 minutes for drinks to arrive we inquired with our waiter who simply said, the barrista is on a break. Fair enough but you don't really need a barrista to get a coke. Meanwhile we got our hot drinks towards the end of the meal... I also requested if we could have a small cake for a birthday but no one ever got back to me on that, so we just ordered dessert. All in all the food was good but goodness the service was way too slow and barely polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 884 reviews are from the Cafe de la Presse reviews archive.
- Always good food!!Gr8BeachRealtorVIPDined on 6/22/2014if you make a reservation you always get seated.. interesting wine list. great bread and pastriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchdeevDined on 6/22/2014The menu serves up classic brunch items such as eggs benedict, omelettes, french toast, in addition to several salads and sandwiches. If you arrive past noon, then you can opt for steak/frites or roast chicken to name a couple. It is well located at the entrance to Chinatown and great for people watching!!Special Features:
- Best in Frisco!jaxupraDined on 6/20/2014We just spent 48 hours in San Francisco, and ate 4 of 6 meals at Cafe de la Presse. It was, and still is, our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- MarkKVIPDined on 6/20/2014I had higher expectations for this restaurant. The hosts were arrogant and/or indifferent when our party checked in and I am not quite sure why. We dine in San Francisco all of the time and we never deal with negative attitude. But then again we hardly ever eat in the Union Square area. The waiter was pleasant enough and the food was fine, but I will not be in a hurry to go back.
- Will be back to Cae de la Pressemarbro09Dined on 6/14/2014The location suited our requirements beautifully. Your web site captured the locale perfectly. A very short walk from the Union Square area hotels. We had dinner down stairs in the more formal dining area. I would love to dine outside on the street on a sunny day. The food and service excellent. The waiter even accommodated my brothers overly sensitive nose for wines. He chose two to have my brother and his wife taste. I would recommend you to friends and already have to my colleagues in the SF offices of Robert Half located at 50 California StSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- calm respiteheartyVIPDined on 6/13/2014Always a pleasant experience but the menu is getting a bit tired. How about some new items?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Francis Bien-OverallCityLightsDined on 6/12/2014While the menu does not have a wide range of selection, it would seem that what is made is made well. The braised beef was delectable as was the croissant bread pudding. The chicken breast was regrettably dry, but the accompanying salad of fennel and radish was refreshing. I had to ask if I could have coffee with my dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.