Cafe D' Alsace
1695 2nd Ave
(Corner of 88th Street & 2nd Ave)
New York, NY 10128Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe D' Alsace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedalsace.com/
- Phone: 2127225133
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Momday - Friday 10:30- 4Pm Brunch: Sat & Sunday 9:00 - 4Pm. Dinner: Sunday & Monday 5:00 - 11Pm Tuesday - Saturday 5:00 - Mid. For Some hours Please Call For reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Roussel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cafe D' Alsace
Cafe D'Alsace features chef Philippe Roussel; previously at Chelsea Bar and Bistro and Montparnasse, is originally from Brittany, but he knows something about Alsace serving features such as his tarte flambée (onions and bacon), potée (cabbage soup) and choucroute made with pork or seafood. Also try something off our extravagant beer menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe D' Alsace reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (53)great for brunch (43)great for lunch (40)special occasion (27)romantic (25)notable wine list (18)good for groups (18)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- TopsqueezeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had a lovely and quite good dinner in a pleasant atmosphere. The duck breast was cooked perfectly. The waiter was attentive and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Cafe D'Alsace many times but was extremely disappointed on my last visit there. The food was only fair and the noise level is deafening. I must credit them though for a great beer list. I would return for that but nothing else.
- Noisy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Noise level way too high, conversation difficult. Food and service very good. Sitting outside better if weather allows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Delicious!alfresco44Dined on 9/10/2014Really loved my dinner...ordered salmon. The place is very pretty and food excellent. I've already recommended to my friends and though a bit out of the way, worth coming uptown. The wait staff friendly and attentive. Will definitely try the brunch soon.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemMaryDined on 9/10/2014I had friends from out of town come to visit and I took them to cafe D'Alsace for a late dinner. They loved it. The food was excellent. A little bit loud, but we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavsRubyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Always love coming to Cafe D' Alsace when on the UES. We had the best mushroom raviolis with shaved truffles which was one of the best appetizers. Loved the gruyere burger followed by the best creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro w/ potential - 2 by 2 by 2AdamVIPDined on 9/1/2014Went on Monday of Labor Day 2014. Menu and esp beer list much more varied than expected (incl. some very special beers given the region of the world the Restaurant is dedicated to)...but everything was rushed. Within 2 minutes of seating, drink orders taken. Within 2 minutes of that, we were asked for our order...and every 2 minutes after that until we complied. As in a cartoon when the waiter goes through a revolving door and comes right back out with food, we were presented with entrees in < 3 minutes. My Tartare was pre-made; my dining guests scallops came undercooked, sent back and re-emerged...in 2 minutes. Dessert followed the same 2 minute pattern...as did the check. Lots of potential, great for kids, not so good for diners.Special Features:
- always greatLJLULUVIPDined on 8/27/2014we always start with the gougere little cheesy croissants and they wow everyone. then i had the perfectly cooked scallops and my friend had the fish shnitzel both amazing. service excellent. another friend had a perfectly cooked burger ............ the drinks are always well made and the food is reliablly good. just a fantastic experience every time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/20/2014Delicious as always! Seafood sausage was yummy and the lobster risotto was fabulous! Only issue was they gave me too much ice cream for dessert....definitely have the espresso ice cream, worth the calories!Special Features:
- goodNickDined on 8/16/2014Everything was good (service, food, etc.). We would definitely return next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Great LunchArlingtonVIPDined on 8/14/2014Their $25 three-course prix fixe lunch is not only the best deal in town, it is delicious, with a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I have eaten at Cafe D'Alsace several times and have never been disappointed. I've had brunch as well as dinner and the food is excellent as is the service. The salmon is delicious and last night I ordered the duck two ways and it was yummy as well. The scallops appetizer was also quick good.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Delicious food cooked just right by an expert kitchen staff, loved it and will be back again, most certainly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicelexinatorDined on 8/11/2014From the first bite you are intrigued by this amazing restaurants delicious taste. The scallops are divine. Dessert was the weakest point but by then you are still very satisfied by their delicious meal you don't care anymore. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningjfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We had the Restaurant Prix Fixe dinner on a Monday evening. Overall the food was very good and seemed 'authentic' to the themes of the restaurant. My only complaint might be that some of the lobster in my dish was underwhelming, but I should know better than ordering a dish with lobster in a non-fish restaurant! That said, I would definitely go back to Cafe D'Alsace.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014The appetizer was very tasty. I enjoyed my dish, the brook trout. My husband found the roast pork was bland and a little tough. We both enjoyed our dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014We've been to café d'Alsace many times but they really did themselves last night. The restaurant week menu was fantastic and every item was succulent. The service was outstandingI would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable food, near the musuemspammyjeanDined on 8/9/2014everyone of us enjoyed the meal. my friends liked their tomato tarts and their duck two ways and their lamb burgers. while the lobster risotto was tasty, it didn't have the ideal risotto texture. the four of us shared two large desserts. the room is charming though the tile floor makes it a bit loud
- BleyedgalVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and we will definitely be back. Best Pomme Frites that I have had in a while and delicious tuna tartare.Special Features:
- Restaurant Werk 2014RestaurantWeek2014Dined on 8/6/2014I went here for restaurant week this past Wednesday and the selection for the prix fix menu was pretty good, as opposed to other restaurants that give you none of their usual full price favorites. I had the scallop( no s), duck 2 ways and the warm peach tart. All were very good and I'd recommend each dish I ordered. My only qualm was the wine, we ordered a bottle of Pinot from Cali( my mistake) and it was awful. Thankfully my boyfriend drank it all. A little disappointed that the server at a French restaurant didn't know his wines but the food made up for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was niceluv1022Dined on 7/31/2014The food was good but nothing impressive, I didn't feel like I was treating myself. I felt like I overpaid.Special Features:
- HEIHEIVIPDined on 7/30/2014Noise level was pretty loud, including the background music they were playing, it was hard to carry out conversations.Special Features:
- NenaNenaDined on 7/30/2014I love this restaurant and have eaten here often. The food is superb and the servers have always been attentive, helpful and respectful. The only complaint I have is the noise level. The din is pervasive and creates a challenge to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- EllenDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the restaurant many times and always enjoy it. It's one of our favorite neighborhood places.Special Features:
- Restaurant week summer 2014AngieDined on 7/25/2014I loved the lobster risotto and the peach tart dessert. Dessert was not too heavy which was perfect. I was satisfied and full.Special Features:
- Delightful lunchpumpkinDined on 7/25/2014The Restaurant Week menu was excellent. Service was solicitous regarding our impressions about the food but we had to ask for bread, etc. so well-intentioned but a touch ragged. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidVIPDined on 7/22/2014appetizers and entrees were unusual and very good. bread was terrific. ice cream dessert so-so.Special Features:
- Nice place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant and the food was great, the atmosphere fantastic and the staff was friendly. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fredVIPDined on 7/4/2014wine was perfect Bordeaux and food out of this world. I had duck breast and wife had scallops almost perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Neighborhood BrasserieRufusDined on 6/27/2014Excellent food, very good wine list, adequate service, but I wish they would change their policy so that first guests arriving in a party with a reservation would be seated immediately rather than having to stand and wait for the others to arrive. Do not understand this policy. It offended the early arriving member of our party who said he would not return to this place because of that "offensive" policy. Too bad, since he loved the food as much as the rest of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Neighborhood GemCindybDined on 6/26/2014Upon arrival, we felt welcome and relaxed. The staff is very accommodating and sweet. The tables are arranged well with a lot of space. The bar offerings are excellent and our drinks were exceptional. Later, we had drinks at the Bemnelman Bar in the Carlisle and wished we were back here again; quality and pricewise. As for the menu items, we had a hard time choosing. Our food was delicious and we were very happy. No complaints. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very TastyLearnedHand78Dined on 6/26/2014This was our second time at Cafe D'Alsace and it did not disappoint. The service was a little shaky in the start (especially with getting water), but we had a very tasty meal. The grilled ahi-tuna was grilled to perfection (I like my tuna medium-rare). The steak au-poivre was juicy and tangy from the peppercorn sauce. The fries are nice and well done, no soggy fries on the place. One diner at my table had the special lobster risotto. Really delicious, but it would have been nice for the waitress to state that it was basically a lobster and truffle risotto. Not truffle oil (because people can really overdo that), but real truffles. It was delicious! The crostini's were excellent as well. Would highly recommend coming here for din!Special Features:
- Food good, service okctcaptainDined on 6/25/2014Waitress paid little attention to us and wasn't very friendly. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcoDined on 6/13/2014Really enjoy sitting outside on streetside but was raining this day so sat inside, which is ok. Was first of 3 to arrive so grabbed beer at bar; my beer was quite sour - bartender advised that is how that beer is, which I found no reason not to believe, but perhaps he could have given a heads up. Waiter and support staff friendly and very attentive; food was good; nice selection of beers. Lady at reception was pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- Very reliable, " go-to" restaurantCindydelDined on 6/11/2014A very happy restaurant with a European flair that is suitable for almost any occasion. Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreUESMamaDined on 6/7/2014We decided to go here with a group because of the very good Yelp reviews and how cute it looked from the outside, but the food was very mediocre. I ordered the french onion soup and though the cheese was delicious, the soup itself was way too sweet. I also ordered the tarte flambee, but 1/2 of it was dry and burnt, and the whole thing was too overcooked to taste the cheese at all. My husband was also not impressed by the chicken he ordered. Overall, we were disappointed. Might be a cute place for brunch though?Special Features:
- Beer pairingDinnerGoerDined on 6/6/2014Free hard boil egg with beer at the bar. Knowledgable sommelier recommendation of beer pairing for beer lover. Very resonable price if the menu.Special Features:
- StevePSwopeDined on 6/5/2014I've been here countless times and have never been disappointed in the food. I've sampled pretty much the entire menu,including brunch and the seasonal menus and the kitchen always sends out well prepared food. The service is energetic and the pacing of the meal is never rushed. Great beer and wine(in that order list).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood's piece of ParisjvsmagicVIPDined on 5/31/2014Sorry the dropped escargot from the menu, but the French onion soup and sausages are outstanding. Great fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemUESiderVIPDined on 5/30/2014I have been wanting to try this place since I moved to the UES, and my boyfriend and I finally wandered in on a rainy Friday night. The hostess was accomodating, as we arrived 30 min before our reservation due to the weather. We started with tuna tartare, the charcuterie board (delish), and the grilled octopus. We also got mussels with french fries. All was yummy!!!! definitely will be returning time and time again!Special Features: