Cafe D' Alsace
1695 2nd Ave
(Corner of 88th Street & 2nd Ave)
New York, NY 10128Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe D' Alsace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafedalsace.com/
- Phone: 2127225133
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Momday - Friday 10:30- 4Pm Brunch: Sat & Sunday 9:00 - 4Pm. Dinner: Sunday & Monday 5:00 - 11Pm Tuesday - Saturday 5:00 - Mid. For Some hours Please Call For reservations.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Roussel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cafe D' Alsace
Cafe D'Alsace features chef Philippe Roussel; previously at Chelsea Bar and Bistro and Montparnasse, is originally from Brittany, but he knows something about Alsace serving features such as his tarte flambée (onions and bacon), potée (cabbage soup) and choucroute made with pork or seafood. Also try something off our extravagant beer menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe D' Alsace reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)great for outdoor dining (51)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (41)great for brunch (38)special occasion (24)romantic (23)good for groups (18)notable wine list (16)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Not Bad, Not GreatFoodyumVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had the steak frites and a glass of bordeaux, the Gruyere puffs, some kind of Alsatian beef stew, and some cognac. The service, while pleasant, seemed overwhelmed and ultimately unattentive. The prices are reasonable and I like the ambiance--on a Friday night the place felt lively, crowded (in a good way) and the music was good. But the food was just ok and the service was mediocre so it's just not worth going back unfortunately. While a little more expensive, I'd recommend Jacques on 85th near 3rd. The food and service are better.Special Features:
- YummyYummyDined on 10/15/2014What a find. I adore the perfect combination of French food with German influences aka the cuisine of Alsace.....All was delicious, the wursts, the short ribs, the amazing Baekeoffe(a traditional stew) and the lovely service...Everyone was a delight....Though not in my neighborhood I will make the Manhattan trek(over 30 blocks)..lol...to dine here again....The choucroute is calling my name :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibenanabananaDined on 10/13/2014Due to a reservation misunderstanding we were seated for 20 minutes without our waitress knowing we were at her station. She more than made up for it with excellent attention and even a plate of cookies gratis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty food, incredible racketharshcriticDined on 10/9/2014Cafe D'Alsace has an authentic European feel and an interesting Alsatian menu. The service is friendly and professional BUT the noise level inside is a cacophony of clinking silver and amplified voices when it is only 25% full. We chose to eat outside on a beautiful night with only the sound of buses rumbling down Second Avenue. The French fries were the best ever, the cookie plate perfect, the main dishes more than adequate. The wine list has only a few choices below $50 and most above $100 up to a $2,200 bottle of Petrus.Special Features:
- Felt Like I was in Paris!ninaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good menu - something for everyone. AND - the best fries!Special Features:
- Lovely place but too noisy!Love2eatVIPDined on 9/22/2014This is one of my favorite places on the UES. The food is delicious, the selections are varied, the service is attentive. The only complaint I have, and it is significant, is that it gets so very loud that you have to cup your hands and shout across the table to speak to your partner. And you still won't hear them correctly. I have tried to go on the early side, before it fills up, and that helps but by 7 pm, even on a weekday, the noise level is so uncomfortable that we skipped their delicious desserts and coffee/drinks just to escape. During the warmer months, we asked to sit outside, and even with the Second Ave traffic, the noise level was so much better. The tin ceiling makes the noise level Painful, not Energetic. Please do something!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried again!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Went here when it first opened and it was so crowded, they served dishes over your head and it was extremely overpriced. Since everyone seems to love it, decided to try again. Walked inside and even though it wasn't crowded it was terribly noisy but it was a perfect evening to eat outside. Food was great. We all loved our dishes. Prices seemed better or maybe all the other neighborhood places got more expensive so it seemed in line with other good neighborhood restaurants. Service was a little slow. Waiter disappeared for long periods of time but all orders were correct and delicious. So I definitely will be making this one of my return to places unless the noise level is just too too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TopsqueezeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had a lovely and quite good dinner in a pleasant atmosphere. The duck breast was cooked perfectly. The waiter was attentive and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Cafe D'Alsace many times but was extremely disappointed on my last visit there. The food was only fair and the noise level is deafening. I must credit them though for a great beer list. I would return for that but nothing else.
- Noisy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Noise level way too high, conversation difficult. Food and service very good. Sitting outside better if weather allows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Delicious!alfresco44Dined on 9/10/2014Really loved my dinner...ordered salmon. The place is very pretty and food excellent. I've already recommended to my friends and though a bit out of the way, worth coming uptown. The wait staff friendly and attentive. Will definitely try the brunch soon.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemMaryDined on 9/10/2014I had friends from out of town come to visit and I took them to cafe D'Alsace for a late dinner. They loved it. The food was excellent. A little bit loud, but we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavsRubyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Always love coming to Cafe D' Alsace when on the UES. We had the best mushroom raviolis with shaved truffles which was one of the best appetizers. Loved the gruyere burger followed by the best creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro w/ potential - 2 by 2 by 2AdamVIPDined on 9/1/2014Went on Monday of Labor Day 2014. Menu and esp beer list much more varied than expected (incl. some very special beers given the region of the world the Restaurant is dedicated to)...but everything was rushed. Within 2 minutes of seating, drink orders taken. Within 2 minutes of that, we were asked for our order...and every 2 minutes after that until we complied. As in a cartoon when the waiter goes through a revolving door and comes right back out with food, we were presented with entrees in < 3 minutes. My Tartare was pre-made; my dining guests scallops came undercooked, sent back and re-emerged...in 2 minutes. Dessert followed the same 2 minute pattern...as did the check. Lots of potential, great for kids, not so good for diners.Special Features:
- always greatLJLULUVIPDined on 8/27/2014we always start with the gougere little cheesy croissants and they wow everyone. then i had the perfectly cooked scallops and my friend had the fish shnitzel both amazing. service excellent. another friend had a perfectly cooked burger ............ the drinks are always well made and the food is reliablly good. just a fantastic experience every time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/20/2014Delicious as always! Seafood sausage was yummy and the lobster risotto was fabulous! Only issue was they gave me too much ice cream for dessert....definitely have the espresso ice cream, worth the calories!Special Features:
- goodNickDined on 8/16/2014Everything was good (service, food, etc.). We would definitely return next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Great LunchArlingtonVIPDined on 8/14/2014Their $25 three-course prix fixe lunch is not only the best deal in town, it is delicious, with a great selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I have eaten at Cafe D'Alsace several times and have never been disappointed. I've had brunch as well as dinner and the food is excellent as is the service. The salmon is delicious and last night I ordered the duck two ways and it was yummy as well. The scallops appetizer was also quick good.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014Delicious food cooked just right by an expert kitchen staff, loved it and will be back again, most certainly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicelexinatorDined on 8/11/2014From the first bite you are intrigued by this amazing restaurants delicious taste. The scallops are divine. Dessert was the weakest point but by then you are still very satisfied by their delicious meal you don't care anymore. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningjfoodieDined on 8/11/2014We had the Restaurant Prix Fixe dinner on a Monday evening. Overall the food was very good and seemed 'authentic' to the themes of the restaurant. My only complaint might be that some of the lobster in my dish was underwhelming, but I should know better than ordering a dish with lobster in a non-fish restaurant! That said, I would definitely go back to Cafe D'Alsace.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014The appetizer was very tasty. I enjoyed my dish, the brook trout. My husband found the roast pork was bland and a little tough. We both enjoyed our dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014We've been to café d'Alsace many times but they really did themselves last night. The restaurant week menu was fantastic and every item was succulent. The service was outstandingI would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable food, near the musuemspammyjeanDined on 8/9/2014everyone of us enjoyed the meal. my friends liked their tomato tarts and their duck two ways and their lamb burgers. while the lobster risotto was tasty, it didn't have the ideal risotto texture. the four of us shared two large desserts. the room is charming though the tile floor makes it a bit loud
- BleyedgalVIPDined on 8/8/2014This was our first time at this restaurant and we will definitely be back. Best Pomme Frites that I have had in a while and delicious tuna tartare.Special Features:
- Restaurant Werk 2014RestaurantWeek2014Dined on 8/6/2014I went here for restaurant week this past Wednesday and the selection for the prix fix menu was pretty good, as opposed to other restaurants that give you none of their usual full price favorites. I had the scallop( no s), duck 2 ways and the warm peach tart. All were very good and I'd recommend each dish I ordered. My only qualm was the wine, we ordered a bottle of Pinot from Cali( my mistake) and it was awful. Thankfully my boyfriend drank it all. A little disappointed that the server at a French restaurant didn't know his wines but the food made up for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was niceluv1022Dined on 7/31/2014The food was good but nothing impressive, I didn't feel like I was treating myself. I felt like I overpaid.Special Features:
- HEIHEIVIPDined on 7/30/2014Noise level was pretty loud, including the background music they were playing, it was hard to carry out conversations.Special Features:
- NenaNenaDined on 7/30/2014I love this restaurant and have eaten here often. The food is superb and the servers have always been attentive, helpful and respectful. The only complaint I have is the noise level. The din is pervasive and creates a challenge to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- EllenDined on 7/26/2014We have been to the restaurant many times and always enjoy it. It's one of our favorite neighborhood places.Special Features:
- Restaurant week summer 2014AngieDined on 7/25/2014I loved the lobster risotto and the peach tart dessert. Dessert was not too heavy which was perfect. I was satisfied and full.Special Features:
- Delightful lunchpumpkinDined on 7/25/2014The Restaurant Week menu was excellent. Service was solicitous regarding our impressions about the food but we had to ask for bread, etc. so well-intentioned but a touch ragged. I will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidVIPDined on 7/22/2014appetizers and entrees were unusual and very good. bread was terrific. ice cream dessert so-so.Special Features:
- Nice place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant and the food was great, the atmosphere fantastic and the staff was friendly. We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fredVIPDined on 7/4/2014wine was perfect Bordeaux and food out of this world. I had duck breast and wife had scallops almost perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Neighborhood BrasserieRufusDined on 6/27/2014Excellent food, very good wine list, adequate service, but I wish they would change their policy so that first guests arriving in a party with a reservation would be seated immediately rather than having to stand and wait for the others to arrive. Do not understand this policy. It offended the early arriving member of our party who said he would not return to this place because of that "offensive" policy. Too bad, since he loved the food as much as the rest of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Neighborhood GemCindybDined on 6/26/2014Upon arrival, we felt welcome and relaxed. The staff is very accommodating and sweet. The tables are arranged well with a lot of space. The bar offerings are excellent and our drinks were exceptional. Later, we had drinks at the Bemnelman Bar in the Carlisle and wished we were back here again; quality and pricewise. As for the menu items, we had a hard time choosing. Our food was delicious and we were very happy. No complaints. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very TastyLearnedHand78Dined on 6/26/2014This was our second time at Cafe D'Alsace and it did not disappoint. The service was a little shaky in the start (especially with getting water), but we had a very tasty meal. The grilled ahi-tuna was grilled to perfection (I like my tuna medium-rare). The steak au-poivre was juicy and tangy from the peppercorn sauce. The fries are nice and well done, no soggy fries on the place. One diner at my table had the special lobster risotto. Really delicious, but it would have been nice for the waitress to state that it was basically a lobster and truffle risotto. Not truffle oil (because people can really overdo that), but real truffles. It was delicious! The crostini's were excellent as well. Would highly recommend coming here for din!Special Features:
- Food good, service okctcaptainDined on 6/25/2014Waitress paid little attention to us and wasn't very friendly. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 829 reviews are from the Cafe D' Alsace reviews archive.