284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: 2122556900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (40)romantic (39)great for brunch (28)great for lunch (23)special occasion (17)good for groups (8)hot spot (8)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- <3OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The most romantic place to have dinner in NYC. The food is great, the drinks are great, the overall mood is lovely and the service is amazing. Gotta love Cafe Cluny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!PattiDined on 9/17/2014Always exceeds expectations in all areas of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Have gone to this restaurant for years and enjoyed it. The last 3 times we've gone have been very disappointing food wise. The service is great as is the ambiance.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Terrible service and attitude. Have been here in the past a couple of times and have had a lovely dining experience but sadly, will not be going back because the host was so rude and not accommodating.
- Neighborhood gem . . .nycjulesVIPDined on 9/8/2014. . . captures Cluny perfectly. It is wonderful and friendly every time!!Special Features:
- Disapointing at bestAvivablueskyVIPDined on 9/4/2014It's on a lovely corner of the Village, and its ambience is nice. The food though was uninspired and bland. The portions are tiny The prices are consummate to a much finer restaurant delivering delicious food. We have been there several times and each time it's been less good than the last. We won't be returning.
- Service?crankyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Love your restaurant but the servers are so unprofessional. Do they receive training? If they aren't knocking your chair EACH AND EVERY time they squeeze past they are taking away plates while members of the party are still eating or last night in particular, taking away my coffee cup before I was about the leave. WHY could she not wait 5 minutes for us to leave instead of making us feel unwelcome and kicked out??????? Such a small thing and so impolite. Every experience is similar and I am afraid there will be no further visits.
- We like Cluny so much we ate thereKatieBVIPDined on 9/1/2014twice last week on a business trip to NYC. It is our favorite spot in New York, so charming, friendly and such delicious food. The place has wonderful lighting that sets a cozy and friendly vibe. The servers are all gracious and knowledgeable. I had salmon, my husband had the chicken one night and the steak frites another. They have a warm mozzarella and tomato salad that is out of this world. Worth a plane ticket for that alone. We also split some of their homemade ice cream. I'm not a big ice cream person, but I wanted to lick the bowl of this stuff. If I only had one night in NYC, this is where I would spend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun, solid west village spotCJL78Dined on 9/1/2014Love Cluny for brunch. Maybe not the most interesting and eclectic brunch menu in the village but very solid nonetheless - a menu full of all hits, no misses. Staff were very accommodating of our stroller, which makes a nice change for the area. Only complaint was over-attentive waitstaff clearing clearly unfinished meals awaySpecial Features:
- Pricey Staplesdiscerning52Dined on 8/31/2014Well-groomed intimacy and good food that's slightly beyond the reach of french bistro-a wee bit lighter and less boring. That said, it's pricey and one wonders, if there's a more memorable place to go for this food like the more special Wallflower around the corner.Special Features:
- NaptownDined on 8/30/2014We had a great dining experience. The atmosphere, out server and the cuisine were excellent. It was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRoblikestoeatDined on 8/27/2014I have eaten Cafe Cluny a couple of times before for brunch and lunch but this was my first time eating there for dinner. The bacon lardon salad with a poached egg was delicious, so was the "black and blue" style seared sushi quality tuna. Our server was very knowledgeable of the food and wine menus and it made our entire experience at Cafe Cluny excellent.Special Features:
- DelightfulfinediningDined on 8/27/2014Great for dinner. Love the atmosphere. The wine list is amazing.Special Features:
- JamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there on a Saturday night. The food was delicious and it was not noisy. Great place in the neighborhood. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolloarenaDined on 8/8/2014The octopus was so tiny that i can't even taste it!!! The NY STEAK was pretty good! A little bit to expensive for what I had eat.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Live in the Village but had just never visited Cafe Cluny for no particular reason The experience was very positive. Food was very tasty and well presented, service was excellent, and very welcoming from the moment we arrived. Romantic, hip, a great place in all respects. Dessert was a great ending to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotMomoDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite restaurant in the west village. Great food, original flavours, friendy service. Portions are not American size so you have space for delicious dessert . My favorite chocolate mint icecream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local faveJDJDDined on 7/17/2014We love Cluny through thick and thin. The food is always great. The wait-staff is always very attentive. Great wine-list. Great bar. Some really nice signature cocktails. The hostesses need work. They are always very polite. But this time, we waited for our table at the bar. When it was called, the hostess watched me try to carry my coat, my bag, a hat and glasses, my friend's bag, and two cocktails to the table, without offering to help. Ordinarily, one would expect that a member of the staff would offer to transfer the drinks to the table on a small tray, and offer to take our blazers. It was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoAnnDined on 7/16/2014Charming, energetic, and busy West Village restaurant with delicious food. Going to this restaurant is a very pleasant evening experience.Special Features:
- Something For EveryoneNorueDined on 7/10/2014I've been to Cafe Cluny before and enjoyed it even more the second time. The menu is interesting, the food and drinks are excellent and best of all the noise level was such that, even though the restaurant was full. Our table for 4 could still enjoy conversation at a comfortable level. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service less sowestvillagefoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014I don't write many reviews but I needed to say something because my dining experience was "interesting." I went with my dad at 8pm (on a Monday) and the restaurant was empty. We waited 45 minutes for our food. We asked when it would be out because it had been a while, and our waitress replied "no it hasn't been long" - I'd say 45 minutes is a long time to wait for a burger on a Monday night?! She then said it would be "3 minutes," after which time we waited another 10-15 minutes while she ran around to the 3 other occupied tables refusing to make eye contact with us. In short, I've always liked Cafe Cluny, but based on the current service there, I'd choose one of the many other tasty west village restaurants to eat at instead of here.
- Always Delicious and UnpretentiousWestVillageEaterVIPDined on 6/23/2014I've had many great meals here, but I tend to get the tuna burger. Always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Translucent eggEnglishpatienceDined on 6/23/2014This was my third time here as the first couple of times were excellent. Unfortunately the egg on my frisée salad was translucent so I sent it back. My salad arrived back at the table 20 minutes later (when everyone else had finished eating) and the new egg was close to well done with very little softness in the middle. Unfortunately, I found some of the previous translucent egg nestling in the salad. With so many other options around this part of town, we won't be back. Chef could do better.
- delightfuljms18Dined on 6/21/2014The food was very good, and the ambiance was charming. The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of the food. A definite gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and unrushedproudpapaDined on 6/15/2014My daughter and I were wanting something quiet and unique after shopping on the West Side and Cafe Cluny was just the answer! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is nice and intimate. The homemade pistachio ice cream was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyableMouradDined on 5/27/2014Cafe Cluny is a happy find, my consistant choice when I am taking friends out to dinner in the neighborhood. It holds its own against very strong competition in the West Village. I enjoy it first for the food, but the front desk and wait staff are helpful, relaxed, and go out of their way to make an evening there pleasurable.Special Features:
- Consistency is valuede2dineDined on 5/26/2014The food is always consistent - well done, well presented, and seasonal. There is enough variety to satisfy a vegetarian or carnivore. The service is good, and you can have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- small portions, barely warmJacksonHoleEaterVIPDined on 5/25/2014My wife and i ate there several nights ago. Really wanted to like it, as we had a good experience several years ago and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. The server was efficient and friendly, almost too efficient since our entrees arrived within minutes of our order. Both were barely above room temperature and my wife's entree was very poorly presented on the plate. The bread was uninspired at best. With so many choices in the West Village we won't be back soon.
- The following 562 reviews are from the Cafe Cluny reviews archive.
- Great restaurant but meh experienceDanielleP143VIPDined on 5/16/2014I know this place is great but we had an overall less than perfect experience. One of the people dining with me has a gluten allergy (celiac disease) and our waiter assured us everything we ordered was FINE for us all to share-but the first appetizer to come out had breadcrumbs on it (not mentioned on the menu)-they comped the dish and gave us an add'l appetizer-but the scare of my friend eating something she is allergic to was already in our minds and swayed our overall experience/and the lack of communication between the staff about what DID and DIDNT have gluten in it was alarmingSpecial Features:
- Don't order wine by the glass.Dine335VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great place in terms of food. But terrible service. The particular waitress we had thought she was too cool and hip for the place...and certainly us. We ordered two glasses of fine and the pour she gave was laughable. At 15 a glass, you at least expect a real glass. Nonetheless, food was quite good...though very unhealthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having lunch here was a veryDocKDined on 4/14/2014Having lunch here was a very agreeable experience from all points view. Adults could have a conversation without straining to hear one another while enjoying a well prepared lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I went to the restaurant based on the recommendation of several bloggers that I had read recently. While the restaurant was very cute and charming, the food was really unimpressive. The food was overpriced, in small portions, and frankly, tasted very average. It wasn't bad food, but it really was nothing to write home about at all. There are too many restaurants in NYC to waste time at restaurants with such unimpressive food. It sounds like this place used to be far superior to how it is now. Very sad.Special Features:
- Multi-taskingGrandviewGirlVIPDined on 4/4/2014I have gone to Café Cluny with friends, family, business partners and potential clients. Its charm is unfailing. A kind, helpful staff always strikes the perfect balance between warmth and professionalism without ever being intrusive. And the food, while not breathtakingly innovative, is always perfectly prepared and lovely, with a wine list that is pitch perfect. Having lived in the Village for 25 years, and witnessing a sea of change, it strikes me that this restaurant feels like the Village I love most. Cosmopolitan but not pretentious. Friendly and inviting, it is cozy yet elegant. And special without being elitist about it all. I feel truly thankful Cafe Cluny has endured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Village Restaurant.FROGGYDined on 4/2/2014A very cozy, warm place with excellent food, friendly service all around and a lively pace..people all seemed to be enjoying themselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth itDrBranchVIPDined on 3/24/2014This place came highly recommended for lunch. We had three sandwiches and three glasses of tea. The total bill was over $100.00. It was loud and the service was mediocre at best. There are plenty of places in NYC where you can have a much better lunch for $100.00 plus tip. Don't waste your time or money. The sandwiches were deli quality at best. I can only imagine how the dinner would be.
- Another W. Village FindNYCFANVIPDined on 3/22/2014We have walked by this place a hundred times and finally decided to dine there. SOOOO glad we did!! Excellent food, well presented, moderately priced. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, average foodExperiencedCookDined on 3/20/2014First time here... Very cozy atmosphere and friendly service. Steak frites was completely average... Not a super cut of meat, not very tender at all. Will try again since we live nearby....will give it just a 'good' rating overall.... Food quality is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Cluny is always, consistently,GrandviewGirlVIPDined on 3/20/2014Cafe Cluny is always, consistently, excellent. Reliable in the very best way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/12/2014The Maine lobster was extraordinary. As ever, Cluny is a haven for friends and loved ones to meet.Special Features:
- Overall we had delicious foodCboisDined on 3/8/2014Overall we had delicious food and friendly service. We did feel a bit rushed to leave at the end, despite the fact that there were still 4 other parties remaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.