284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-6900
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (60)romantic (59)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (29)special occasion (24)hot spot (23)notable wine list (7)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- AmbientOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/27/2014Amazing place, nice people, best burgers in town. The attention was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemJennyDined on 11/21/2014We were in town for the weekend and a friend recommended Cafe Cluny, We would have never found it on our own. It turned out to be a hidden gem. It was freezing outside, but really warm and cozy inside. The food and staff were great. I had the rabbit. My husband had duck. Both were really good, but the rabbit was memorable. It got busy late, so if you can, make a reservation. If not, it's worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Night Dinner at Cafe ClunyJonny12345JonDined on 11/16/2014Cafe Cluny is a quaint yet sophisticated eatery nestled on the corner of a classic West Village street corner. It is a notable brunch spot, serving classic European/American brunch favorites. The restaurant is also know to attract their fair share of celebrities, and it shouldn't be surprising if while being served by one of the charming waiters adorned in a 1930's US Navy white and blue striped shirt you were to spot a notable actor, fashion designer of business mogul. Over all Cafe Cluny is a classic West Village hot spot, serving great food in an even better atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food; uncomfortableNYerVIPDined on 11/9/2014There's just something about the cramped dining room and the uncomfortable seats that distracts from the excellent food. Also, the wine list is skimpy for a French restaurant. Everything that comes out of the kitchen is excellent, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectBennyDined on 11/8/2014Great atmosphere, not too loud, the waitstaff is very friends. They have a really great bar as well. This is a good place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsAlextenBroeckVIPDined on 11/5/2014Whether for an early breakfast with colleagues or a cozy dinner with friends, Cafe Cluny never disappoints. Delicious, gracious, pitch perfect service. My fall back destination with local friends as well as when entertaining out-of-townersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectiondallen9975Dined on 10/31/2014Cafe Cluny was recommended to us by a friend that has lived in the neighborhood for years. We wanted something non-commercial and off the beaten path. Cluny was perfect. Warm, friendly and comfortable. The food was delicious and not unreasonably expensive.Special Features:
- Amazing food.sky007eatsDined on 10/31/2014Cafe cluny is consistently one of my favorite places to eat brunch in a city that has too many brunch spots. The French toast is unparalleled and service is wonderful. My only complaint is the coffee cups. They are impossible to hold when the coffee is hot and create a conundrum in which one wants hot coffee but cannot drink it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Terrishoes37402Dined on 10/29/2014I had a wonderful meal with my daughter who lives in Soho. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was impeccable. It was intimate yet somewhat lively at the same time. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and cozyPrincess7VIPDined on 10/28/2014West Village gem. Amazing menu. Combo of comfort food and clean food. Cozy atmosphere. Always delicious.Special Features:
- A delightful restaurant.MrsMeldrewDined on 10/27/2014This was a real surprise. Lovely atmosphere and good food to match. We had great service, warm and helpful and I would love to revisit.Special Features:
- Classic and Amazing!anniedelishVIPDined on 10/15/2014Appetizer of cauliflower - steamed, then grilled, served with chiffonade greens with walnuts and cider-soaked vanilla scented sultanas. I could not get over how delicious it was. I have been thinking of it ever since. And I had the steak for dinner. I will say the blueberry, apricot crumble was slightly underdone and a bit salty for my taste. Service was excellent and every little request was answered immediately. Doesn't hurt that the wait-staff is so good looking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceotisDined on 10/14/2014Had wanted to re-establish a relationship with this neighborhood restaurant but found it so noisy that it was very hard to carry on a conversation and the food was disappointing, big time. Drinks were okay, nothing special, but the recommended rabbit was dry and came with some white stuff which sounded good on the menu but turned out to be inedible, sorry to say. Service was attentive and friendly tho.Special Features:
- DisappointedStillhungryDined on 10/14/2014The menu looked great and they tried hard to satisfy my wife's allergies but, the portions of food on the plates was laughable. We were three. Two steak frite. Tasty but the smallest steak I have ever eaten in a restaurant . Must have weighed 3 oz. it seamed a joke. My wife's sea scallops looked like bay scallops. But the kicker was the cheese plate. Two goat cheese selections very tiny. One the size of a postage stamp. When questioning the manager she defended the portion. We asked her to send over some more which she did and didn't charge us. At the end of the meal I thanked her. I won't return. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Delicious but tiny portionsCJL78VIPDined on 10/11/2014I have always loved this spot - cosy yet vibrant atmosphere and consistently delicious food. However, this time we left hungry. Not being American I find the serving portions in this country particularly abhorrent and off-putting. However, I must say my $35 steak for dinner at Cluny was actually the first time I have felt the opposite. I do have to say, it was absolutely delicious - a fabulous piece of meat, very flavorful and cooked to perfection. But it was tiny, especially for being the most expensive item on the menu. I have a small appetite and can never finish my meals but after eating all of this I was left wanting. My husband's cod was similarly minuscule. The 'bed' of lentils it was served upon was merely a sprinkle.Special Features:
- Diner at ClunyRocknDined on 10/9/2014Went to this restaurant for the first time last week . The service was excellent . The restaurant is casual and cozy. Had the grilled cauliflower salad which was very good and a poached cod for entree and a delicious butternut squash tart for dessert. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patgVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were only ok. There are many restaurants at this price point that are better. They need to do better. I probably won't go back.
- Bad FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/27/2014The mozarella appetizer tasted like it had cleaning products in it. The cheese was terrible and hard to cut. The Octupus was burnt and tasted charred. The burger had no flavor and even though it was cooked medium, it tasted burnt. Also, the fries were cold. It was a true disappointment.Special Features:
- Wonderful place and foodAngieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Consistently delicious food although some appetizers are very small. They are all so delicious that I then order two! Love the octopus and yellowtail appetizers. Love the salads. The drinks are refreshing and good but little inconsistent. Sometimes they are too strong other times too weak.Special Features:
- <3thiagopDined on 9/19/2014The most romantic place to have dinner in NYC. The food is great, the drinks are great, the overall mood is lovely and the service is amazing. Gotta love Cafe Cluny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!PattiDined on 9/17/2014Always exceeds expectations in all areas of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Have gone to this restaurant for years and enjoyed it. The last 3 times we've gone have been very disappointing food wise. The service is great as is the ambiance.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Terrible service and attitude. Have been here in the past a couple of times and have had a lovely dining experience but sadly, will not be going back because the host was so rude and not accommodating.
- Neighborhood gem . . .nycjulesVIPDined on 9/8/2014. . . captures Cluny perfectly. It is wonderful and friendly every time!!Special Features:
- Disapointing at bestAvivablueskyVIPDined on 9/4/2014It's on a lovely corner of the Village, and its ambience is nice. The food though was uninspired and bland. The portions are tiny The prices are consummate to a much finer restaurant delivering delicious food. We have been there several times and each time it's been less good than the last. We won't be returning.
- Service?crankyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Love your restaurant but the servers are so unprofessional. Do they receive training? If they aren't knocking your chair EACH AND EVERY time they squeeze past they are taking away plates while members of the party are still eating or last night in particular, taking away my coffee cup before I was about the leave. WHY could she not wait 5 minutes for us to leave instead of making us feel unwelcome and kicked out??????? Such a small thing and so impolite. Every experience is similar and I am afraid there will be no further visits.
- We like Cluny so much we ate thereKatieBVIPDined on 9/1/2014twice last week on a business trip to NYC. It is our favorite spot in New York, so charming, friendly and such delicious food. The place has wonderful lighting that sets a cozy and friendly vibe. The servers are all gracious and knowledgeable. I had salmon, my husband had the chicken one night and the steak frites another. They have a warm mozzarella and tomato salad that is out of this world. Worth a plane ticket for that alone. We also split some of their homemade ice cream. I'm not a big ice cream person, but I wanted to lick the bowl of this stuff. If I only had one night in NYC, this is where I would spend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun, solid west village spotCJL78VIPDined on 9/1/2014Love Cluny for brunch. Maybe not the most interesting and eclectic brunch menu in the village but very solid nonetheless - a menu full of all hits, no misses. Staff were very accommodating of our stroller, which makes a nice change for the area. Only complaint was over-attentive waitstaff clearing clearly unfinished meals awaySpecial Features:
- Pricey Staplesdiscerning52Dined on 8/31/2014Well-groomed intimacy and good food that's slightly beyond the reach of french bistro-a wee bit lighter and less boring. That said, it's pricey and one wonders, if there's a more memorable place to go for this food like the more special Wallflower around the corner.Special Features:
- NaptownDined on 8/30/2014We had a great dining experience. The atmosphere, out server and the cuisine were excellent. It was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRoblikestoeatDined on 8/27/2014I have eaten Cafe Cluny a couple of times before for brunch and lunch but this was my first time eating there for dinner. The bacon lardon salad with a poached egg was delicious, so was the "black and blue" style seared sushi quality tuna. Our server was very knowledgeable of the food and wine menus and it made our entire experience at Cafe Cluny excellent.Special Features:
- DelightfulfinediningDined on 8/27/2014Great for dinner. Love the atmosphere. The wine list is amazing.Special Features:
- JamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there on a Saturday night. The food was delicious and it was not noisy. Great place in the neighborhood. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolloarenaDined on 8/8/2014The octopus was so tiny that i can't even taste it!!! The NY STEAK was pretty good! A little bit to expensive for what I had eat.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Live in the Village but had just never visited Cafe Cluny for no particular reason The experience was very positive. Food was very tasty and well presented, service was excellent, and very welcoming from the moment we arrived. Romantic, hip, a great place in all respects. Dessert was a great ending to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotMomoDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite restaurant in the west village. Great food, original flavours, friendy service. Portions are not American size so you have space for delicious dessert . My favorite chocolate mint icecream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 573 reviews are from the Cafe Cluny reviews archive.
- Local faveJDJDDined on 7/17/2014We love Cluny through thick and thin. The food is always great. The wait-staff is always very attentive. Great wine-list. Great bar. Some really nice signature cocktails. The hostesses need work. They are always very polite. But this time, we waited for our table at the bar. When it was called, the hostess watched me try to carry my coat, my bag, a hat and glasses, my friend's bag, and two cocktails to the table, without offering to help. Ordinarily, one would expect that a member of the staff would offer to transfer the drinks to the table on a small tray, and offer to take our blazers. It was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoAnnVIPDined on 7/16/2014Charming, energetic, and busy West Village restaurant with delicious food. Going to this restaurant is a very pleasant evening experience.Special Features:
- Something For EveryoneNorueDined on 7/10/2014I've been to Cafe Cluny before and enjoyed it even more the second time. The menu is interesting, the food and drinks are excellent and best of all the noise level was such that, even though the restaurant was full. Our table for 4 could still enjoy conversation at a comfortable level. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service less sowestvillagefoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014I don't write many reviews but I needed to say something because my dining experience was "interesting." I went with my dad at 8pm (on a Monday) and the restaurant was empty. We waited 45 minutes for our food. We asked when it would be out because it had been a while, and our waitress replied "no it hasn't been long" - I'd say 45 minutes is a long time to wait for a burger on a Monday night?! She then said it would be "3 minutes," after which time we waited another 10-15 minutes while she ran around to the 3 other occupied tables refusing to make eye contact with us. In short, I've always liked Cafe Cluny, but based on the current service there, I'd choose one of the many other tasty west village restaurants to eat at instead of here.