284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: 2122556900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)great for brunch (31)romantic (30)fit for foodies (29)great for lunch (23)special occasion (14)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DelightfulfinediningDined on 8/27/2014Great for dinner. Love the atmosphere. The wine list is amazing.Special Features:
- JamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there on a Saturday night. The food was delicious and it was not noisy. Great place in the neighborhood. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolloarenaDined on 8/8/2014The octopus was so tiny that i can't even taste it!!! The NY STEAK was pretty good! A little bit to expensive for what I had eat.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Live in the Village but had just never visited Cafe Cluny for no particular reason The experience was very positive. Food was very tasty and well presented, service was excellent, and very welcoming from the moment we arrived. Romantic, hip, a great place in all respects. Dessert was a great ending to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotMomoDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite restaurant in the west village. Great food, original flavours, friendy service. Portions are not American size so you have space for delicious dessert . My favorite chocolate mint icecream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local faveJDJDDined on 7/17/2014We love Cluny through thick and thin. The food is always great. The wait-staff is always very attentive. Great wine-list. Great bar. Some really nice signature cocktails. The hostesses need work. They are always very polite. But this time, we waited for our table at the bar. When it was called, the hostess watched me try to carry my coat, my bag, a hat and glasses, my friend's bag, and two cocktails to the table, without offering to help. Ordinarily, one would expect that a member of the staff would offer to transfer the drinks to the table on a small tray, and offer to take our blazers. It was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoAnnDined on 7/16/2014Charming, energetic, and busy West Village restaurant with delicious food. Going to this restaurant is a very pleasant evening experience.Special Features:
- Something For EveryoneNorueDined on 7/10/2014I've been to Cafe Cluny before and enjoyed it even more the second time. The menu is interesting, the food and drinks are excellent and best of all the noise level was such that, even though the restaurant was full. Our table for 4 could still enjoy conversation at a comfortable level. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service less sowestvillagefoodieDined on 6/30/2014I don't write many reviews but I needed to say something because my dining experience was "interesting." I went with my dad at 8pm (on a Monday) and the restaurant was empty. We waited 45 minutes for our food. We asked when it would be out because it had been a while, and our waitress replied "no it hasn't been long" - I'd say 45 minutes is a long time to wait for a burger on a Monday night?! She then said it would be "3 minutes," after which time we waited another 10-15 minutes while she ran around to the 3 other occupied tables refusing to make eye contact with us. In short, I've always liked Cafe Cluny, but based on the current service there, I'd choose one of the many other tasty west village restaurants to eat at instead of here.
- Always Delicious and UnpretentiousWestVillageEaterVIPDined on 6/23/2014I've had many great meals here, but I tend to get the tuna burger. Always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Translucent eggEnglishpatienceDined on 6/23/2014This was my third time here as the first couple of times were excellent. Unfortunately the egg on my frisée salad was translucent so I sent it back. My salad arrived back at the table 20 minutes later (when everyone else had finished eating) and the new egg was close to well done with very little softness in the middle. Unfortunately, I found some of the previous translucent egg nestling in the salad. With so many other options around this part of town, we won't be back. Chef could do better.
- delightfuljms18Dined on 6/21/2014The food was very good, and the ambiance was charming. The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of the food. A definite gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and unrushedproudpapaDined on 6/15/2014My daughter and I were wanting something quiet and unique after shopping on the West Side and Cafe Cluny was just the answer! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is nice and intimate. The homemade pistachio ice cream was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyableMouradDined on 5/27/2014Cafe Cluny is a happy find, my consistant choice when I am taking friends out to dinner in the neighborhood. It holds its own against very strong competition in the West Village. I enjoy it first for the food, but the front desk and wait staff are helpful, relaxed, and go out of their way to make an evening there pleasurable.Special Features:
- Consistency is valuede2dineDined on 5/26/2014The food is always consistent - well done, well presented, and seasonal. There is enough variety to satisfy a vegetarian or carnivore. The service is good, and you can have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- small portions, barely warmJacksonHoleEaterVIPDined on 5/25/2014My wife and i ate there several nights ago. Really wanted to like it, as we had a good experience several years ago and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. The server was efficient and friendly, almost too efficient since our entrees arrived within minutes of our order. Both were barely above room temperature and my wife's entree was very poorly presented on the plate. The bread was uninspired at best. With so many choices in the West Village we won't be back soon.
- Great restaurant but meh experienceDanielleP143VIPDined on 5/16/2014I know this place is great but we had an overall less than perfect experience. One of the people dining with me has a gluten allergy (celiac disease) and our waiter assured us everything we ordered was FINE for us all to share-but the first appetizer to come out had breadcrumbs on it (not mentioned on the menu)-they comped the dish and gave us an add'l appetizer-but the scare of my friend eating something she is allergic to was already in our minds and swayed our overall experience/and the lack of communication between the staff about what DID and DIDNT have gluten in it was alarmingSpecial Features:
- Don't order wine by the glass.Dine335VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great place in terms of food. But terrible service. The particular waitress we had thought she was too cool and hip for the place...and certainly us. We ordered two glasses of fine and the pour she gave was laughable. At 15 a glass, you at least expect a real glass. Nonetheless, food was quite good...though very unhealthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 560 reviews are from the Cafe Cluny reviews archive.
- Having lunch here was a veryDocKDined on 4/14/2014Having lunch here was a very agreeable experience from all points view. Adults could have a conversation without straining to hear one another while enjoying a well prepared lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I went to the restaurant based on the recommendation of several bloggers that I had read recently. While the restaurant was very cute and charming, the food was really unimpressive. The food was overpriced, in small portions, and frankly, tasted very average. It wasn't bad food, but it really was nothing to write home about at all. There are too many restaurants in NYC to waste time at restaurants with such unimpressive food. It sounds like this place used to be far superior to how it is now. Very sad.Special Features:
- Multi-taskingGrandviewGirlVIPDined on 4/4/2014I have gone to Café Cluny with friends, family, business partners and potential clients. Its charm is unfailing. A kind, helpful staff always strikes the perfect balance between warmth and professionalism without ever being intrusive. And the food, while not breathtakingly innovative, is always perfectly prepared and lovely, with a wine list that is pitch perfect. Having lived in the Village for 25 years, and witnessing a sea of change, it strikes me that this restaurant feels like the Village I love most. Cosmopolitan but not pretentious. Friendly and inviting, it is cozy yet elegant. And special without being elitist about it all. I feel truly thankful Cafe Cluny has endured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Village Restaurant.FROGGYDined on 4/2/2014A very cozy, warm place with excellent food, friendly service all around and a lively pace..people all seemed to be enjoying themselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth itDrBranchVIPDined on 3/24/2014This place came highly recommended for lunch. We had three sandwiches and three glasses of tea. The total bill was over $100.00. It was loud and the service was mediocre at best. There are plenty of places in NYC where you can have a much better lunch for $100.00 plus tip. Don't waste your time or money. The sandwiches were deli quality at best. I can only imagine how the dinner would be.
- Another W. Village FindNYCFANVIPDined on 3/22/2014We have walked by this place a hundred times and finally decided to dine there. SOOOO glad we did!! Excellent food, well presented, moderately priced. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, average foodExperiencedCookDined on 3/20/2014First time here... Very cozy atmosphere and friendly service. Steak frites was completely average... Not a super cut of meat, not very tender at all. Will try again since we live nearby....will give it just a 'good' rating overall.... Food quality is important.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Cluny is always, consistently,GrandviewGirlVIPDined on 3/20/2014Cafe Cluny is always, consistently, excellent. Reliable in the very best way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/12/2014The Maine lobster was extraordinary. As ever, Cluny is a haven for friends and loved ones to meet.Special Features:
- Overall we had delicious foodCboisDined on 3/8/2014Overall we had delicious food and friendly service. We did feel a bit rushed to leave at the end, despite the fact that there were still 4 other parties remaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2014The service was good and the wait staff knowledgeable. The turkey burger was tasty and I was able to get it with a salad instead of potatoes, We went early---at 6pm---and it started getting very crowded by the time we left. Very noisy and I was ready to leave.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We frequent Cafe Cluny severalmegkDined on 3/1/2014We frequent Cafe Cluny several times a year. The food is always delicious, although the menu is quite limited- and they frown upon substitutions. This time be felt the prices had gone up and the serving size down (at least for the salmon entree). We started with a delicious (very small) green salad. It was so simple, yet perfect: three baby heads of lettuce just barely grilled but still retaining a crunch, and then dressed with an exquisite french dressing and fresh herbs.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2014The food was delicious. I always love going there - and the desserts are divine - especially the chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Unexpected pleasureSenecaDined on 2/19/2014Café Cluny was recommended casually as a kind of good second choice, but it will be a first choice next time. The service was friendly and efficient; the steak with the 'steak-frites' cooked exactly as requested; the mood romantic in a casual way; and it was very French without being 'faux-French', if you know what I mean!Special Features:
- Valentine's DaySaraBethDined on 2/14/2014Great drinks, okay food, and much too expensive for what it was. The steak was perfect, the monkfish was okay, and the charcutterie was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Dinner for Valentine'sBrianDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend to Cafe Cluny for Valentine's day and she loved it. The food was great, drinks were good, and she thought it was a cute place. It was a bit pricey, but perfect for a special occasion or night out. I'd highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the splurgeSublimeDined on 2/1/2014Hadn't been to Cafe Cluny in years but it's still awesome and worthy of a splurge. A good barometer of a kitchen is their steak frites, and it was flawless.Special Features:
- Skip the appsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2014I recently went to Cafe Cluny for dinner after eating lunch there several times. The appetizers were oversold - the dishes were pretty and sounded interesting, yet rather boring once delivered. The entrees, on the other hand, were absolutely delicious! We did not have dessert but next time we will skip the apps and order dessert.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findrjbraderDined on 1/24/2014Cafe Cluny is well located and attractive. It is relatively small and has an intimate vibe. The menu is great and the food is good.Special Features:
- WonderfulMIssMcCloreDined on 1/10/2014Had dinner here with a friend and we both loved it. My steak was cooked to perfection. Beautiful presentations. Quaint chic rustic feel to the decor. The banana tart desert thing was amazing!!!!! Kinda like banana pudding but better; I highly recommend it. Great date place.Special Features:
- Would like to keep it as secret...MiknikDined on 1/8/2014Love this restaurant. No music so you can actually hear what your friend is saying without shouting! Food is also very good. Some experimental with other cuisine material! Love them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eduardo's reviewEduardoE1899Dined on 1/1/2014Great place, romantic. Tks for mini but funny new year's comemoration, good to couples. About Open table, u should be a service like this in another cities, like São Paulo, Brazil. There are very good places and your website helps many customs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.