284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-6900
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)fit for foodies (60)romantic (60)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (28)special occasion (25)hot spot (22)notable wine list (7)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- pleasant surpriseDavidandDayleVIPDined on 12/7/2013Recommended by a friend who fancies herself somewhat of a foodie, we were somewhat skeptical, but took our friends in from LA for dinner there because it was near the theater we were going to. Everything was much better than we expected--the food, service, atmosphere. We eat out about 4 nights per week and are somewhat picky. We would definitely return there--it was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LylianlyliannycDined on 12/6/2013Loved the restaurant! Great food, atmosphere, service, loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great windows look out ontoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/1/2013Great windows look out onto a village street. Friendly staff, delicious food.Special Features:
- DisappointedSharkus77VIPDined on 11/27/2013The visual presentation of the burger is great. You are offered three cheeses, I stuck with American. They forgot my bacon...ugh. It came out as a side after I brought it to their attention but it killed me to stare and wait those five minutes. I cannot fairly judge this burger for the simple reason that it was completely over cooked. I asked for medium and it came out well done. Burger was dry and lacked the juicy flavor one desires when eating a burger. Sides/bacon/cheese were all fresh and good. Fries were awesome and ambiance is that of a quaint French bistro. Service was decent. Location is great.Special Features:
- Good food, great location, cozyPecavoVIPDined on 11/21/2013Always a wonderful meal, great food, beautiful location, a bit tight for seating so be prepared to be close to your neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe ClunyDancarDined on 11/19/2013Never an attitude in this lovely Village spot. Lunch here has become a favorite among my group. So pleasant. Thank you.Special Features:
- Perfect West Village SpotJason5080VIPDined on 11/10/2013It's my go-to lunch spot. Homey, consistently good food and great service make it my favorite place in the West Village. Plus they give you chocolate with your check--it's the little things that count right?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never order the swordfish!!!SueWFVIPDined on 11/9/2013We were there for a special occasion. We had eaten there several times and always. liked it. This time the food was very good also EXCEPT for the swordfish. It was like a piece of cardboard. Not edible. Salty. How could any self-respecting chef serve that??? I didn't return it because I didn't want to bring attention to that. Any other time I would have. Will think twice before retuning. What a disappointment.!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Cluny - A French GemIcedTeaMeDined on 11/8/2013A beautiful little bistro in the heart of the West Village - atmosphere had just the right balance of buzz and chill. The waitstaff, in their bateau neck t's, add to the ambience. Our Proseccos at the bar were perfect while we waited a short while for our table. The steak and frites got a thumbs up, the brussel sprouts were divine and my scallops were delicious, although the clams and oysters listed on the menu item were completely absent! Make sure to do a visual sweep - you might spot someone noteworthy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French coupe adviseNellyDined on 11/8/2013We discovered Cafe Cluny during our one week trip to NYC. We were looking for a nice place for dinner, but we didn't know NYC restaurants and tried to book a table very late. Cafe Cluny is a really nice place : charming streets around, a "cocooning and romantic" atmosphere but it can fit for friends too... About the food : we had a 3 courses meal : I really enjoyed the Artichokes barigoule (kind of "sweeter" than in France and I must admit that's great), the salad was really nice too (kind of a "salade Lyonnaise") The salmon had the perfect cooking tasted the kale gratin (I enjoyed, we don't eat this vegetable in France), Cedric chose the burger (great too). I enjoyed the pistachio tarte. Bread and profiteroles were good enough. Service +++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff were great and theevebobDined on 11/5/2013The staff were great and the food was outstanding. Many thanks for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableRickiVIPDined on 11/1/2013Always have wonderful meal with great service. Especially when going to theater. Prize fixe is high quality and reasonable. One of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great local cafenycouple34Dined on 10/29/2013This cafe was recommended to me for a recent trip to NYC. Couldn't have been happier. Lovely location, great food, great coffee, brilliant service and relaxed vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eat!tootsVIPDined on 10/26/2013the food was great as was the service! well enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:
- A Village GemPattiDined on 10/25/2013Cafe Cluny never disappoints with serving up the perfect evening where every restuarant element hits the right note. The food is amazing, serve top notch and the cozy, relaxed environment makes this 12th St. venue a winner.Special Features:
- Ha the ownership changed orJackdogVIPDined on 10/24/2013Ha the ownership changed or something? It was not a very good experience...
- Quaint French spot in West VillageMonkeyEatsDined on 10/11/2013I took my partner here for his birthday. The staff is very professional, welcoming and attentive. We were seated with our reservation right away. When we asked for another area to sit in, they were instantly accommodating. The smoked tomato soup special and frisée salad with lardons were delicious. I was a little less impressed with the steak frites. The meat was fine, not super tasty or tender and the fries were not as flavorful as I would have liked. Also the mushrooms side, though tasty, could have also used a little moisture. The trio of ice creams were also delicious, especially the chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlandBlandVIPDined on 10/10/2013Met a friend here for luncha nd we both ordered the tuna burgers. It was not a solid piece of ahi tuna w/spicing on the outside. It was a ground up mix of tuna and seasonings which were visually evident, but failed to impart any flavor to the sandwich. The wait staff was pleasant and the surroundings easy on the eye. WIth so many different places to choose from in this area, I would think they would try and step up their offerings as well as better season the existing ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative bistro menu - justfinedinerVIPDined on 10/9/2013Creative bistro menu - just enough of a twist on the basics to be interesting. Wine list is a little weak but food is superb. And not so noisy that you can't hear your companions but still feels happening. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy little gem, good foodWhiffmeisterGeneralDined on 10/8/2013Cosy little gem, good food reasonably priced, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Hofstra64VIPDined on 9/27/2013We were looking a special place to meet up with our grown children and we found it! The food was excellent; the location was convenient; and the overall experience was outstanding. Great range of food on the menu and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of France in the West VillageWillajaneVIPDined on 9/21/2013Cozy, friendly and delicious- Cafe Cluny Never fails to deliver fresh, creative and Delicious fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We especially enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2013We especially enjoyed the Artichokes Barigoute and the Heritage Chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WaiterStudmuffinDined on 9/19/2013Was beyond irritating. He learned to serve from the website annoying.com Couldn't get his act together and was in our faces at all the inappropriate times.Special Features:
- Food as usual was very goodShanDined on 9/19/2013Food as usual was very good and the service friendly. I love the breakfast sandwich with avocado. One of our group had the artichokes. It's good as an appetizer, but just short of being enough for a main meal for even a light lunch for a man.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingJennyGDined on 9/18/2013Loved our brunch at Café Cluny. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centerpiece of a lovely eveningdeedsDined on 8/30/2013From the moment we arrived it was clear we were in good hands! The table we had requested, immediate service, and prompt responses to our requests. Every bit of the food we ordered was prepared and served with aplomb. Courses were timed well and with the exception of an overly eager bus person, the service was perfectly pitched. Among the four different choices that we made for entrees there were easily two dishes that were among the best we've tasted. In sum, a tasty, lovely evening start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe cluny cute placejj118Dined on 1/18/2013nice cafe Some staff members were too green to be working thereSpecial Features:
- We had a small party on aCC10Dined on 1/18/2013We had a small party on a Friday morning that all came into the restaurant at different times for our 9am reservations (some early, some late). The restaurant was fairly sparse at the time, but the hostess was pleasant and accommodating. The waitstaff was just as friendly offering coffee, tea, juice and water while we waited for the rest of the group to show up. When everyone was at the table, our orders were taken promptly (but not rushed) and the food came out quickly and was just as described. The staff was very attentive, knew what we were all drinking and were closely monitoring our drinks for refills. All in all, a very pleasant experience in a lovely, but not stuffy, restaurant. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Good moderate place,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013Good evening was had, however the waitress just seemed to want to rush everything, our starters arrived in minutes of being ordered and as soon as we were finished, the plates removed our main course arrived, which makes you question the process within the kitchen or tha ability to enjoy the evening and not feel like they were trying to turn tables.Special Features:
- Unique decor, creative menu,GemhotlineVIPDined on 1/4/2013Unique decor, creative menu, and delightful staff. Enjoyed our recent dining experience. Left hungry though...probably needed to eat more of the great food. Worth a second try. Only sidebar: There was a woman we were sitting next to who yacked for almost an hour straight. Due to the restaurant acoustics it became so annoying that we had to ask to be reseated. The manager handled it beautifully. Had there been better control of sound within the dining area, it might not have been a problem.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Recommended to us by someone who used to live close by. Absolutely loved it. Very cute. Food great. Coffee great. Lovely decor, felt really cosy. I cannot wait to return. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Second time's not the charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/19/2012A $14 special yellow tail, grapefruit and green olive starter was laughable in it's petite-ness. This wasn't even passé nouvelle cusine, it was The Emperor's New Clothes. If great bread is one sign of a good restaurant, steer clear of this place with it's dry bread stick sized baguettes unless you want to break a tooth.
- This is a classic neighborhoodmichboVIPDined on 12/18/2012This is a classic neighborhood gem - with wonderful cocktails (the Cluny is to die for), and creative dishes. I'd love maybe a few more entree selections to make it even better, but all in all, a great experience and one to recommend when you are in Greenich Village.Special Features:
- Great vibe, great glowEclecticGuyVIPDined on 12/15/2012The food is fine, the amber glow of the ambience even better. It's like having an intimate candle-lit dinner. Spectacular wait staff. High marks all around.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/15/2012We loved Cafe Cluny. The food was very, very good and our waitress was excellent and fun. We loved the scene, it was cozy and clean and vibrant. We would definitely return to this cute little neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- J'adoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/9/2012I absolutely love this restaurant - great food, beautiful atmosphere, and always a warm welcome and fond farewell from the kind employees.Special Features:
- It really is a real gem inIrishbutloveItalianVIPDined on 12/6/2012It really is a real gem in the West Village. I only recently discovered Cafe Cluny. It is delightful. I hope to go back again and again!Special Features:
- I've had several very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/4/2012I've had several very nice meals at Cluny, but have to say -- was disappointed overall this time. Service was very rushed, trying too hard to turn our table (8:15 seating). Food was good, not great, although it has been great previous times. I'll still recommend it as an outstanding brunch place, but will temper my "date place" reccos after past visit. I hope it was just an off-night coupled with poor service.Special Features:
- We had exceptional service.KATEVSVIPDined on 11/30/2012We had exceptional service. Really loved our waitress.