284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: 2122556900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (54)romantic (45)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (29)special occasion (20)hot spot (15)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Classic and Amazing!anniedelishVIPDined on 10/15/2014Appetizer of cauliflower - steamed, then grilled, served with chiffonade greens with walnuts and cider-soaked vanilla scented sultanas. I could not get over how delicious it was. I have been thinking of it ever since. And I had the steak for dinner. I will say the blueberry, apricot crumble was slightly underdone and a bit salty for my taste. Service was excellent and every little request was answered immediately. Doesn't hurt that the wait-staff is so good looking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceotisDined on 10/14/2014Had wanted to re-establish a relationship with this neighborhood restaurant but found it so noisy that it was very hard to carry on a conversation and the food was disappointing, big time. Drinks were okay, nothing special, but the recommended rabbit was dry and came with some white stuff which sounded good on the menu but turned out to be inedible, sorry to say. Service was attentive and friendly tho.Special Features:
- DisappointedStillhungryDined on 10/14/2014The menu looked great and they tried hard to satisfy my wife's allergies but, the portions of food on the plates was laughable. We were three. Two steak frite. Tasty but the smallest steak I have ever eaten in a restaurant . Must have weighed 3 oz. it seamed a joke. My wife's sea scallops looked like bay scallops. But the kicker was the cheese plate. Two goat cheese selections very tiny. One the size of a postage stamp. When questioning the manager she defended the portion. We asked her to send over some more which she did and didn't charge us. At the end of the meal I thanked her. I won't return. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Delicious but tiny portionsCJL78VIPDined on 10/11/2014I have always loved this spot - cosy yet vibrant atmosphere and consistently delicious food. However, this time we left hungry. Not being American I find the serving portions in this country particularly abhorrent and off-putting. However, I must say my $35 steak for dinner at Cluny was actually the first time I have felt the opposite. I do have to say, it was absolutely delicious - a fabulous piece of meat, very flavorful and cooked to perfection. But it was tiny, especially for being the most expensive item on the menu. I have a small appetite and can never finish my meals but after eating all of this I was left wanting. My husband's cod was similarly minuscule. The 'bed' of lentils it was served upon was merely a sprinkle.Special Features:
- Diner at ClunyRocknDined on 10/9/2014Went to this restaurant for the first time last week . The service was excellent . The restaurant is casual and cozy. Had the grilled cauliflower salad which was very good and a poached cod for entree and a delicious butternut squash tart for dessert. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patgVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were only ok. There are many restaurants at this price point that are better. They need to do better. I probably won't go back.
- Bad FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/27/2014The mozarella appetizer tasted like it had cleaning products in it. The cheese was terrible and hard to cut. The Octupus was burnt and tasted charred. The burger had no flavor and even though it was cooked medium, it tasted burnt. Also, the fries were cold. It was a true disappointment.Special Features:
- Wonderful place and foodAngieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Consistently delicious food although some appetizers are very small. They are all so delicious that I then order two! Love the octopus and yellowtail appetizers. Love the salads. The drinks are refreshing and good but little inconsistent. Sometimes they are too strong other times too weak.Special Features:
- <3thiagopDined on 9/19/2014The most romantic place to have dinner in NYC. The food is great, the drinks are great, the overall mood is lovely and the service is amazing. Gotta love Cafe Cluny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!PattiDined on 9/17/2014Always exceeds expectations in all areas of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SFfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Have gone to this restaurant for years and enjoyed it. The last 3 times we've gone have been very disappointing food wise. The service is great as is the ambiance.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Terrible service and attitude. Have been here in the past a couple of times and have had a lovely dining experience but sadly, will not be going back because the host was so rude and not accommodating.
- Neighborhood gem . . .nycjulesVIPDined on 9/8/2014. . . captures Cluny perfectly. It is wonderful and friendly every time!!Special Features:
- Disapointing at bestAvivablueskyVIPDined on 9/4/2014It's on a lovely corner of the Village, and its ambience is nice. The food though was uninspired and bland. The portions are tiny The prices are consummate to a much finer restaurant delivering delicious food. We have been there several times and each time it's been less good than the last. We won't be returning.
- Service?crankyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Love your restaurant but the servers are so unprofessional. Do they receive training? If they aren't knocking your chair EACH AND EVERY time they squeeze past they are taking away plates while members of the party are still eating or last night in particular, taking away my coffee cup before I was about the leave. WHY could she not wait 5 minutes for us to leave instead of making us feel unwelcome and kicked out??????? Such a small thing and so impolite. Every experience is similar and I am afraid there will be no further visits.
- We like Cluny so much we ate thereKatieBVIPDined on 9/1/2014twice last week on a business trip to NYC. It is our favorite spot in New York, so charming, friendly and such delicious food. The place has wonderful lighting that sets a cozy and friendly vibe. The servers are all gracious and knowledgeable. I had salmon, my husband had the chicken one night and the steak frites another. They have a warm mozzarella and tomato salad that is out of this world. Worth a plane ticket for that alone. We also split some of their homemade ice cream. I'm not a big ice cream person, but I wanted to lick the bowl of this stuff. If I only had one night in NYC, this is where I would spend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun, solid west village spotCJL78VIPDined on 9/1/2014Love Cluny for brunch. Maybe not the most interesting and eclectic brunch menu in the village but very solid nonetheless - a menu full of all hits, no misses. Staff were very accommodating of our stroller, which makes a nice change for the area. Only complaint was over-attentive waitstaff clearing clearly unfinished meals awaySpecial Features:
- Pricey Staplesdiscerning52Dined on 8/31/2014Well-groomed intimacy and good food that's slightly beyond the reach of french bistro-a wee bit lighter and less boring. That said, it's pricey and one wonders, if there's a more memorable place to go for this food like the more special Wallflower around the corner.Special Features:
- NaptownDined on 8/30/2014We had a great dining experience. The atmosphere, out server and the cuisine were excellent. It was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceRoblikestoeatDined on 8/27/2014I have eaten Cafe Cluny a couple of times before for brunch and lunch but this was my first time eating there for dinner. The bacon lardon salad with a poached egg was delicious, so was the "black and blue" style seared sushi quality tuna. Our server was very knowledgeable of the food and wine menus and it made our entire experience at Cafe Cluny excellent.Special Features:
- DelightfulfinediningDined on 8/27/2014Great for dinner. Love the atmosphere. The wine list is amazing.Special Features:
- JamesVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner there on a Saturday night. The food was delicious and it was not noisy. Great place in the neighborhood. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolloarenaDined on 8/8/2014The octopus was so tiny that i can't even taste it!!! The NY STEAK was pretty good! A little bit to expensive for what I had eat.Special Features:
- Great vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014Live in the Village but had just never visited Cafe Cluny for no particular reason The experience was very positive. Food was very tasty and well presented, service was excellent, and very welcoming from the moment we arrived. Romantic, hip, a great place in all respects. Dessert was a great ending to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotMomoDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite restaurant in the west village. Great food, original flavours, friendy service. Portions are not American size so you have space for delicious dessert . My favorite chocolate mint icecream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local faveJDJDDined on 7/17/2014We love Cluny through thick and thin. The food is always great. The wait-staff is always very attentive. Great wine-list. Great bar. Some really nice signature cocktails. The hostesses need work. They are always very polite. But this time, we waited for our table at the bar. When it was called, the hostess watched me try to carry my coat, my bag, a hat and glasses, my friend's bag, and two cocktails to the table, without offering to help. Ordinarily, one would expect that a member of the staff would offer to transfer the drinks to the table on a small tray, and offer to take our blazers. It was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoAnnVIPDined on 7/16/2014Charming, energetic, and busy West Village restaurant with delicious food. Going to this restaurant is a very pleasant evening experience.Special Features:
- Something For EveryoneNorueDined on 7/10/2014I've been to Cafe Cluny before and enjoyed it even more the second time. The menu is interesting, the food and drinks are excellent and best of all the noise level was such that, even though the restaurant was full. Our table for 4 could still enjoy conversation at a comfortable level. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service less sowestvillagefoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014I don't write many reviews but I needed to say something because my dining experience was "interesting." I went with my dad at 8pm (on a Monday) and the restaurant was empty. We waited 45 minutes for our food. We asked when it would be out because it had been a while, and our waitress replied "no it hasn't been long" - I'd say 45 minutes is a long time to wait for a burger on a Monday night?! She then said it would be "3 minutes," after which time we waited another 10-15 minutes while she ran around to the 3 other occupied tables refusing to make eye contact with us. In short, I've always liked Cafe Cluny, but based on the current service there, I'd choose one of the many other tasty west village restaurants to eat at instead of here.
- The following 569 reviews are from the Cafe Cluny reviews archive.
- Always Delicious and UnpretentiousWestVillageEaterVIPDined on 6/23/2014I've had many great meals here, but I tend to get the tuna burger. Always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Translucent eggEnglishpatienceDined on 6/23/2014This was my third time here as the first couple of times were excellent. Unfortunately the egg on my frisée salad was translucent so I sent it back. My salad arrived back at the table 20 minutes later (when everyone else had finished eating) and the new egg was close to well done with very little softness in the middle. Unfortunately, I found some of the previous translucent egg nestling in the salad. With so many other options around this part of town, we won't be back. Chef could do better.
- delightfuljms18Dined on 6/21/2014The food was very good, and the ambiance was charming. The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of the food. A definite gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and unrushedproudpapaDined on 6/15/2014My daughter and I were wanting something quiet and unique after shopping on the West Side and Cafe Cluny was just the answer! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is nice and intimate. The homemade pistachio ice cream was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyableMouradDined on 5/27/2014Cafe Cluny is a happy find, my consistant choice when I am taking friends out to dinner in the neighborhood. It holds its own against very strong competition in the West Village. I enjoy it first for the food, but the front desk and wait staff are helpful, relaxed, and go out of their way to make an evening there pleasurable.Special Features:
- Consistency is valuede2dineDined on 5/26/2014The food is always consistent - well done, well presented, and seasonal. There is enough variety to satisfy a vegetarian or carnivore. The service is good, and you can have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- small portions, barely warmJacksonHoleEaterVIPDined on 5/25/2014My wife and i ate there several nights ago. Really wanted to like it, as we had a good experience several years ago and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. The server was efficient and friendly, almost too efficient since our entrees arrived within minutes of our order. Both were barely above room temperature and my wife's entree was very poorly presented on the plate. The bread was uninspired at best. With so many choices in the West Village we won't be back soon.
- Great restaurant but meh experienceDanielleP143VIPDined on 5/16/2014I know this place is great but we had an overall less than perfect experience. One of the people dining with me has a gluten allergy (celiac disease) and our waiter assured us everything we ordered was FINE for us all to share-but the first appetizer to come out had breadcrumbs on it (not mentioned on the menu)-they comped the dish and gave us an add'l appetizer-but the scare of my friend eating something she is allergic to was already in our minds and swayed our overall experience/and the lack of communication between the staff about what DID and DIDNT have gluten in it was alarmingSpecial Features:
- Don't order wine by the glass.Dine335VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great place in terms of food. But terrible service. The particular waitress we had thought she was too cool and hip for the place...and certainly us. We ordered two glasses of fine and the pour she gave was laughable. At 15 a glass, you at least expect a real glass. Nonetheless, food was quite good...though very unhealthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having lunch here was a veryDocKDined on 4/14/2014Having lunch here was a very agreeable experience from all points view. Adults could have a conversation without straining to hear one another while enjoying a well prepared lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I went to the restaurant based on the recommendation of several bloggers that I had read recently. While the restaurant was very cute and charming, the food was really unimpressive. The food was overpriced, in small portions, and frankly, tasted very average. It wasn't bad food, but it really was nothing to write home about at all. There are too many restaurants in NYC to waste time at restaurants with such unimpressive food. It sounds like this place used to be far superior to how it is now. Very sad.Special Features: