Cafe Claude - Downtown
7 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Claude - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeclaude.com/
- Phone: 4153923505x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For unique dining experiences and special events, please contact us!
- Entertainment: Live Jazz! Wednesday through Sunday from 7:30pm - 10:30pm. Find our calendar online at www.cafeclaude.com
A word from Cafe Claude - Downtown
Close to Union Square and closer to Paris, Cafe Claude has remained an unpretentious neighborhood meeting place nestled amongst the urban skyscrapers. Cafe Claude is a classic Bistro featuring a zinc bar, Gallic waiters, and Paris cafe style food. Enjoy a lively atmosphere, weekend jazz, and a traditional Parisian cafe menu while seated in a cozy banquette or outdoors on charming Claude lane.Continued
Signature menu items at Cafe Claude include, at lunch, Niçoise Salad, Steak Tartare, Coq au Vin, and Moelleux au Chocolate.
Signature menu items at Cafe Claude include, at lunch, Niçoise Salad, Steak Tartare, Coq au Vin, and Moelleux au Chocolate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Claude - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)romantic (96)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (73)great for outdoor dining (60)great for lunch (54)notable wine list (41)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (19)late-night find (18)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always SolidmatineeVIPDined on 10/11/2014We have eaten dinner here a couple times and it is always good, sometimes great. We had dinner for 4 this time and it fell into the good category. Hopefully, next time we get back to great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/10/2014Wonderful! The staff is friendly and the food is great. Perfect French bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was superbAdelaidiansDined on 10/8/2014We loved the food and wine at the Restaurant. The service was attentive and staff were knowledgeable. We were given an extra desert which was a lovely gesture. We would recommend this as we were very impressed with the meals. Thank you for the experience.Special Features:
- Romance at the Cafe ClaudemthpeaceVIPDined on 10/8/2014Even a really bad French restaurant carries with it a certain romantic cache and this is an outstanding French restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was so good that I almost felt as though everyone was a professional actor performing the roles of waitress, etc., as if following a script that was written to assure superb service. This was my first trip to Cafe Claude and I will return. The only caveat I would mention is that we dined there on a weeknight and the restaurant had just opened for the evening, so the crowd was small. The facility is small and a larger crowd could get very noisy, taking away some of the romance and lowering the ambiance. Best to go on a weeknight and get a 5:30 pm reservation. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French FoodsfotpaDined on 10/6/2014Lovely little space on Claude Alley, wonderful duck leg and lentils cooked just right. Service very good,there at the right time and knowledgeable about the menu and wine. sweet place in a great Union Squre locaton. Will return,can't wait to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- jujulebourgDined on 10/4/2014Cafe Claude has great ambiance with the live jazz music, terrace & great bar tending. We saved our visit for a special occasion in anticipation to a great night ahead of us. We sat inside and had a great time listening to the music with a round of excellent cocktails & wines. The decor reminded us of the american-french appeal missing some of the true authentic feel. Right away we noticed the waiters seems stressed and rushed (although it was a late night reservation). We were disappointed to not converse with true french waiters, we felt as if they held back. The food was good, able and well garnished, but not exquisite as hoped. Over-all a good experience nevertheless.Special Features:
- Lovely diningDinerdadDined on 10/3/2014Very good food and great service. The menu selection was classic French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Bistro GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2014Best thing about Cafe Claude besides the food is the service. Great, fresh and delicious French food that isn't overly priced. Definitely worth checking out at least once. Good for two people. Beyond that it can feel a little claustrophobic.Special Features:
- Had a good mealNiki53Dined on 9/28/2014We are party of 5, first we shared 4 appetizers of cheeses, salad green, pate, and prosciutto. I had trout with green beans, very tasty honest food. Staff served us well. The wine is a little high in price. The jazz band created romantic atmosphere. This is the place to get a satisfying meal.Special Features:
- Tres bien!danteDined on 9/26/2014Cafe Claude was a great place for a special night out. My cousin, whom I rarely see, met me there and we enjoyed great food, fine dinner music from Steve Lucky and Carmen Getit, and were still able to hold a continuous conversation without shouting. The service was attentive without being overbearing, and we were not hurried out. It was a bit pricey, but worthi it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- J'ai adoré...MR99Dined on 9/26/2014It was a nice little surprise in a small back alley. We came from Montreal and it was a delight to have a french waiter in a french restaurant. He recommended good food and wine. The escargot en croute wasn't chewy and the onglet (Hanger steak) was cook to perfection (medium). My girl enjoyed the Coq au vin, the chicken was melting of the bones with a great mix of vegetables. Go there, it deserves to be know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014The food and drinks were great. The servers were extremely friendly. Live music is icing on the cake.Special Features:
- Great for lunchrestaurantmavenDined on 9/26/2014I met an old friend visiting from Europe who remembered Café Claude from years ago, when he lived in San Francisco. He said in some ways, it's much better than it's ever been and I tend to agree. The soups are always terrific, wine list outstanding. Looking forward to going again for lunch next week. Only one observation: the outdoor seating area doesn't always smell terrific, the whole alley way needs a good scrub so you may want to keep that in mind if you are booking on a hot day for lunch - would have given it 5 stars for ambiance if we'd eaten inside!Special Features:
- Favorite Lunch SpotAllieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Cafe Claude is one of my favorite French restaurants. I took my co-worker, who is from France out to lunch. I watched him carefully as he mixed the beef, egg and the side ingredients with his fork and knife, adding just enough Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard. He thoroughly enjoyed his steak tartare! I normally have the Croque Monsieur, but I wanted to try something different so I ordered the Chevre salad with chicken and it was delicious. To my surprise the warm goat cheese was spread on my levain and it was good. The chicken was tender and juicy and I loved the combination of apple and candied walnuts in my salad! The service was spot on; attentive, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Delicious escargots; wish we has had the bread earlier so we could dip in sauce. Special of day petralle sole was well prepared, not over cooked. Flat iron steak was cooked just right, tho sauce over it was rather vinegary. Desserts: crime brûlée and lemon tart outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceshelleybDined on 9/25/2014The food, the service, the ambience and the great music all combined to make a lovely experienceSpecial Features:
- Very excellent food. Well-locatedCarlitoDined on 9/23/2014Very good food. French onion soup was just simply amazing one of the best I've ever had.The service was perfect. The ambiance could have been a bit more jazzy. It was a bit quiet. I will definitely go back. A great place to recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastybitsDined on 9/20/2014Great food and fun ambience. Our friends from Palm Springs, who, like us, have traveled all around the world, also enjoyed it. While it is French in milieu and food, yet it feels very San Francisco to me. I'll go back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodPablosalglezDined on 9/17/2014It is a great restaurant with a ver uncommon location (in an alley), but the music is amazing! The food is delicious, and the service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden San FranciscoDaveVIPDined on 9/17/2014The whole experience was excellent. (but it's a tad expensive) Food is very good and the wait staff was extremely helpful. Great place to take your date; a slice of Paris in San Francisco. Overall, this is a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddinerDined on 9/15/2014I was very disappointed by Cafe Claude, and embarrassed at having taken a friend and former colleague of mine from Philadelphia there. It was particularly distressing as I have been a great fan and customer of Cafe Claude for at least 10+ years. We were seated in what could have been a charming table in the corner, but the night was warm and the air circulation was poor. More important, though, no one came to take our drink order for at least 20 minutes and I had to go up to the hostess and ask her to please send our wait person. After we finally got our wine, we waited another 15-20 minutes for someone to take our order. I had the char and it was delicious. My friend had the Poulet Roti and thought it was OK.Special Features:
- Do Not Recommendsativus84Dined on 9/12/2014We had a very poor experience overall with both service and food. The waitress spilled a hot dish on one of our party's arm while serving another. Service was rushed with entrees arriving too soon while we were still enjoying our appetizer. The music was too loud and very inappropriate for a French bistro. Mussel dish was too salty and the mussels miniscule. Warm chocolate cake was very disappointing - very leaden and not at all the texture it is supposed to be. With so many other great places to eat in SF, don't bother. Even Claude Alley where it is located has become grubby and very unattractive.
- Exceeded our expectationsGMBargeDined on 9/11/2014Having eaten at Cafe Claude many years ago and having a very favorable memory of the place, we returned this year during our anniversary trip. The restaurant is not much different in ambiance from years ago and the food is really outstanding.Special Features:
- Charming and reasonably pricedmwhiteVIPDined on 9/5/2014Perfect little French restaurant that was a lovely evening overall. All of our main courses were delicious from the hangar steak, coq au vin, duck confit to the trout almandine. Loved the background jazz too. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Terrific!RobertDined on 9/2/2014The four of us celebrated my spouse's birthday with a Tuesday night dinner. The dining crowd was thin. We had excellent service, great meals and a genuinely friendly sense of hospitality. We could not have been more pleased. The duck confit over lentils was the dining favorite at our table. The hostess went out of her way to find a pretty vase to keep a bouquet of flowers given to my wife while we dined. It was a gracious extra touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peterDined on 8/31/2014appetizer figs with bacon great desert same level music is very niceSpecial Features:
- disappointing entrePykeenowDined on 8/29/2014despite reading some negative posts about the food, we went because we liked the live music trio playing that night. For soup and salad we ordered the Potage de maise and the Chevre . The corn soup was sweet and very tasty. Salad was O.K. goat cheese was spread thickly on bread and very good. I ordered Coq Au Vin and thought the chicken was overcooked and dry, the sauce was so bland that if I was not starving I would have left for another restaurant. Where was the wine flavor i was looking forward to? My wife ordered the flat iron steak. She only ate a few bites as it was too tough and sent it back. We didn't want to chance dessert so left dissapointed. The manager did take the steak off of the bill. The service was excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014First time dining at Cafe Claude and would return and also recommend to others. As most French bistros, the menu is limited, but all selections were worthy of choice. Very small bar that puts out tasty cocktails. Service very attentive - the waiter actually pays attention to the timing and needs of the table. Much cheaper than a ticket to Paris!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Always enjoy this restaurant. Food is consistent and service staff are friendly and very capable. Live music was a nice touch and, thankfully, they kept the volume at a reasonable level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, music too loudAntieannaDined on 8/27/2014Chez Claude is too small to have musical band iplay indoors - I will henceforth go there only when there is no musician bandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, As Always!janesingsVIPDined on 8/27/2014I have eaten at Cafe Claude many times over the years, and it is always very good. The food is delicious and the service is very good. The ambiance and location are nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic French RestaurantgoodcoupleDined on 8/26/2014This was a great French restaurant. The staff is attentive and they have a nice menus selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDinerInDisguiseDined on 8/26/2014Love this little place! The food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRaphdrawDined on 8/23/2014I love this place! Everything about this restaurant is wonderful. Very French like cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!comingagainDined on 8/22/2014Loved the food, service was outstanding. Waiter heard us sing to our companion a happy birthday and when desert arrived so did a candle. It was first class. And I love sitting outside in the alley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for special occasionShana723VIPDined on 8/21/2014Good food, excellent service. But a bit crowded if you don't mind. Great for special occasion !Special Features:
- ElliotSFDined on 8/19/2014Fantastic as always. Very welcoming and consistently great service and fodSpecial Features:
- open late, perfectsaxoDined on 8/18/2014Great to find a romantic spot open late on a Monday night. I love the little European-style back alley places in SF. Service was excellent -- our waiter was friendly and knowledgable about the wines, and gave us just the right amount of attention. We really just had a snack and drinks so I can't speak with much authority on the food, but I enjoyed my salad with chevre -- fresh and substantial. Will definitely come back for a full dinner -- a little earlier next time so that they let us sit outside. That was my only disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing duckMariposashelVIPDined on 8/17/2014Over the past years, I have ordered duck in many restaurants. It is a difficult protein to prepare properly. Too well, and it's tough; too rare and it's raw. Without question, this was the finest duck dish I have ever had the privilege to enjoy. Perfectly cooked, tender an flavorful, it was a joy. Add to that a glass of Zaya rum, my first taste and suggested by the bartender, it was perfect.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealJimAVIPDined on 8/17/2014We went here for a birthday celebration, and requested a nice table for the event. We had never really heard of it, just found it on open table and read thru the reviews. We were very happy with the results. The service was quite personable, they made note of the birthday as we were seated and enhanced our dessert at the end. The food selection was limited, but we each found a couple things to choose from and everything tasted good, although the pork chop was a bit dry (hard to avoid). We arrived for an early seating and the noise grew as it got busier, but nothing that prevented conversation. We will definitely add it to our list of good places and go back.Special Features: