Cafe Claude - Downtown
7 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Claude - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafeclaude.com/
- Phone: 4153923505x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: R. Patrick Kelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For unique dining experiences and special events, please contact Leila Seppa firstname.lastname@example.org, hosted in 5 Claude Lane Gallery, catered by Cafe Claude
- Entertainment: Live Jazz! Wednesday through Sunday from 7:30pm - 10:30pm. Find our calendar online at www.cafeclaude.com
A word from Cafe Claude - Downtown
Close to Union Square and closer to Paris, Cafe Claude has remained an unpretentious neighborhood meeting place nestled amongst the urban skyscrapers. Cafe Claude is a classic Bistro featuring a zinc bar, Gallic waiters, and Paris cafe style food. Enjoy a lively atmosphere, weekend jazz, and a traditional Parisian cafe menu while seated in a cozy banquette or outdoors on charming Claude lane.Continued
Signature menu items at Cafe Claude include, at lunch, Niçoise Salad, Steak Tartare, Coq au Vin, and Moelleux au Chocolate.
Signature menu items at Cafe Claude include, at lunch, Niçoise Salad, Steak Tartare, Coq au Vin, and Moelleux au Chocolate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Claude - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)romantic (109)neighborhood gem (97)special occasion (84)great for outdoor dining (64)great for lunch (51)notable wine list (45)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (18)great for brunch (16)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014I was very disappointed by Cafe Claude, and embarrassed at having taken a friend and former colleague of mine from Philadelphia there. It was particularly distressing as I have been a great fan and customer of Cafe Claude for at least 10+ years. We were seated in what could have been a charming table in the corner, but the night was warm and the air circulation was poor. More important, though, no one came to take our drink order for at least 20 minutes and I had to go up to the hostess and ask her to please send our wait person. After we finally got our wine, we waited another 15-20 minutes for someone to take our order. I had the char and it was delicious. My friend had the Poulet Roti and thought it was OK.Special Features:
- Do Not Recommendsativus84Dined on 9/12/2014We had a very poor experience overall with both service and food. The waitress spilled a hot dish on one of our party's arm while serving another. Service was rushed with entrees arriving too soon while we were still enjoying our appetizer. The music was too loud and very inappropriate for a French bistro. Mussel dish was too salty and the mussels miniscule. Warm chocolate cake was very disappointing - very leaden and not at all the texture it is supposed to be. With so many other great places to eat in SF, don't bother. Even Claude Alley where it is located has become grubby and very unattractive.
- Exceeded our expectationsGMBargeDined on 9/11/2014Having eaten at Cafe Claude many years ago and having a very favorable memory of the place, we returned this year during our anniversary trip. The restaurant is not much different in ambiance from years ago and the food is really outstanding.Special Features:
- Charming and reasonably pricedmwhiteVIPDined on 9/5/2014Perfect little French restaurant that was a lovely evening overall. All of our main courses were delicious from the hangar steak, coq au vin, duck confit to the trout almandine. Loved the background jazz too. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Terrific!RobertDined on 9/2/2014The four of us celebrated my spouse's birthday with a Tuesday night dinner. The dining crowd was thin. We had excellent service, great meals and a genuinely friendly sense of hospitality. We could not have been more pleased. The duck confit over lentils was the dining favorite at our table. The hostess went out of her way to find a pretty vase to keep a bouquet of flowers given to my wife while we dined. It was a gracious extra touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peterDined on 8/31/2014appetizer figs with bacon great desert same level music is very niceSpecial Features:
- disappointing entrePykeenowDined on 8/29/2014despite reading some negative posts about the food, we went because we liked the live music trio playing that night. For soup and salad we ordered the Potage de maise and the Chevre . The corn soup was sweet and very tasty. Salad was O.K. goat cheese was spread thickly on bread and very good. I ordered Coq Au Vin and thought the chicken was overcooked and dry, the sauce was so bland that if I was not starving I would have left for another restaurant. Where was the wine flavor i was looking forward to? My wife ordered the flat iron steak. She only ate a few bites as it was too tough and sent it back. We didn't want to chance dessert so left dissapointed. The manager did take the steak off of the bill. The service was excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/29/2014First time dining at Cafe Claude and would return and also recommend to others. As most French bistros, the menu is limited, but all selections were worthy of choice. Very small bar that puts out tasty cocktails. Service very attentive - the waiter actually pays attention to the timing and needs of the table. Much cheaper than a ticket to Paris!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Always enjoy this restaurant. Food is consistent and service staff are friendly and very capable. Live music was a nice touch and, thankfully, they kept the volume at a reasonable level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, music too loudAntieannaDined on 8/27/2014Chez Claude is too small to have musical band iplay indoors - I will henceforth go there only when there is no musician bandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, As Always!janesingsVIPDined on 8/27/2014I have eaten at Cafe Claude many times over the years, and it is always very good. The food is delicious and the service is very good. The ambiance and location are nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romantic French RestaurantgoodcoupleDined on 8/26/2014This was a great French restaurant. The staff is attentive and they have a nice menus selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDinerInDisguiseDined on 8/26/2014Love this little place! The food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRaphdrawDined on 8/23/2014I love this place! Everything about this restaurant is wonderful. Very French like cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!comingagainDined on 8/22/2014Loved the food, service was outstanding. Waiter heard us sing to our companion a happy birthday and when desert arrived so did a candle. It was first class. And I love sitting outside in the alley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for special occasionShana723VIPDined on 8/21/2014Good food, excellent service. But a bit crowded if you don't mind. Great for special occasion !Special Features:
- ElliotSFDined on 8/19/2014Fantastic as always. Very welcoming and consistently great service and fodSpecial Features:
- open late, perfectsaxoDined on 8/18/2014Great to find a romantic spot open late on a Monday night. I love the little European-style back alley places in SF. Service was excellent -- our waiter was friendly and knowledgable about the wines, and gave us just the right amount of attention. We really just had a snack and drinks so I can't speak with much authority on the food, but I enjoyed my salad with chevre -- fresh and substantial. Will definitely come back for a full dinner -- a little earlier next time so that they let us sit outside. That was my only disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing duckMariposashelVIPDined on 8/17/2014Over the past years, I have ordered duck in many restaurants. It is a difficult protein to prepare properly. Too well, and it's tough; too rare and it's raw. Without question, this was the finest duck dish I have ever had the privilege to enjoy. Perfectly cooked, tender an flavorful, it was a joy. Add to that a glass of Zaya rum, my first taste and suggested by the bartender, it was perfect.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealJimAVIPDined on 8/17/2014We went here for a birthday celebration, and requested a nice table for the event. We had never really heard of it, just found it on open table and read thru the reviews. We were very happy with the results. The service was quite personable, they made note of the birthday as we were seated and enhanced our dessert at the end. The food selection was limited, but we each found a couple things to choose from and everything tasted good, although the pork chop was a bit dry (hard to avoid). We arrived for an early seating and the noise grew as it got busier, but nothing that prevented conversation. We will definitely add it to our list of good places and go back.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014The food and service was excellent. The live jazz trio was fun. It was a bit hard to hold any kind of serous conversation, but very romantic. It is down this little restaurant filled ally close to Union Square. I will be going back sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecliningGeneralVIPDined on 8/14/2014I've been here a couple of times and the last one was not very good. The food was very poor and the ambience was not as it used to be.
- OverratedUgonorreADined on 8/11/2014Coming from Europe you know you have a high restaurant standard. Anyway I went there with my girlfriend, the ambient was really comfotable but the dinner was everything but remarkable, and the price way too high to what served. You pay the ambience and the location, but to eat good look somewhere else.Special Features:
- great managementdsfourniDined on 8/10/2014Service and management was outstanding. Even after a misunderstanding on the meal choice, the waitress and manager made the third meal for free to go as a compensationm great food and great peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JCJCetcDined on 8/6/2014Nice location and polite and pleasant staff. Food was acceptable but not outstanding. Music was great but the congestion and voice-noise of the venue diminished from the experience. It seemed as if it was trying to do too much with too little. I intend to return but with a different approach and expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food; intimate settingleftcoastlove17Dined on 8/2/2014Cafe Claude had a nice intimate feel. Crafted cocktail menu options were delicious and my husband and I both enjoyed our dinner selections; our food was fresh, flavorful and prepared nicely. Enjoyed the live jazz in the background as well. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Cuisine PerfectionNatashaSFVIPDined on 7/30/2014I love this spot, and we brought my company here for lunch last week. Lovely cheese plate. Great salads (love the Chevre Salad) and chicken. Will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Delightful LunchRobBVIPDined on 7/28/2014Claude Lane and Cafe Claude in particular make for a lovely lunch spot on a sunny day. Our server was outstanding and the food was delicious.
- My birthday lunch 7/28mrgoodmanDined on 7/28/2014Everyone was very accommodating, given that my dad and I sat for a while waiting for the 2 others to join us; at some restaurants there can be an "attitude" about staying at the table for so long, but not at Claude! It was really a delightful birthday lunch for me, and the waitress was delightful and patient with us. Also, the bartendress made me a vesper (not on the menu anymore) and was equally delightful (though I did miss Horacio!) Thanks also for the dessert with a candle with it; I like that stuff :-)Special Features:
- Great lunch or evening spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014I've had lunch and dinner here quite a few times. Never a disappointment. Great food, great (although sometimes slow) service. It's a great spot if you aren't pressed for time and can wind down to some good food and conversation with your companion(s).Special Features:
- So - SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Second time at Claude. Pasta dish good, Chicken dish horrible. Waiter forgot 1 dessert which we had removed from the charges. Far to pricey for what you get. The music was good. We will not be returning a third time.
- Great for lunchPOBoxVIPDined on 7/26/2014Truite Amadine was a perfect selection for lunch. Trout was cooked perfectly. Visited in mid-afternoon, quiet with a cozy table in the corner.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!!!love2lunchDined on 7/25/2014I wanted to take my friend to a french restaurant for her birthday. Cafe Claude had great online reviews so I decided to make reservations. We were both impressed with the incredible food and fantastic service. The steak tartare was delicious and the Epinard (creamed spinach) was to die for. I had the Onglet. The steak was perfectly cooked. Our server suggested a beautiful rose for the meal and the creme brulee for dessert. We enjoyed everything. I will be back for lunch the next time I come into the city!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French foods in downtown!tq525VIPDined on 7/25/2014Nested inside a small alley, the location is convenient, but hard to find. The foods are very good, escargots with puff pastry tops are excellent, so is the pate sampler. The rotisserie chickens very good as well. The service is very nice. Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem.pattiVIPDined on 7/21/2014Tucked away down an alley way, this place would be hard to stumble upon but is worth seeking out. The food was wonderful.Special Features:
- A quick trip to Paris😃Luv2escapeVIPDined on 7/21/2014I've been eating at Cafe Claude for over 20years. Never once had a bad experience. Everyone I invite to join me loves it. Indoor or outside it's a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French, Cramped, So-so ServicesfbetsDined on 7/20/2014The food and live music at Cafe Claude still shine, but you will sit inches from the next table and might not see your server for long, long stretches. Since the restaurant is so small it's tempting to wonder where the staff congregates (a secret nightclub through the kitchen?). Yes, tables all pushed together is tres chic, but less alluring when your neighbor bumps your table and knocks your water over trying to get out. Coq au vin very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedThoughtforFoodDined on 7/16/2014Order a glass of Chenin Blanc only to be told they were out. Had the French Onion soup that was almost tasteless. For my entree I order the duck confit that was dry. Very disappointing meal...
- finding this place....worth itreservationDined on 7/14/2014it took 3 staff members to give us sufficient directions as out of towners we could not find the elusive "Claude" ally way "street"...finally, it was worth the search....food excellent, staff fantastic (w/ one notable exception of a neophyte searching for his rhythm)....very seasoned...felt like European fine dining....a bit pricey but again worth it....Special Features:
- RestoluvrRestoluvrVIPDined on 7/12/2014Our evening at Cafe Claude was delightful. A warm greeting, quick seating, an informed and helpful (but not intrusive) waiter! We were off to a good start. The Chèvre salad was wonderful, and generous enough for a satisfactory split. I had the trout - perfect. The sauce was so good. The raisins and capers added a lot of interest. My husband had the steak with fries. Perfectly prepared and very tender. We split the special Bastile dessert. Yummy. Having been to Claude several times for lunch as well as for dinner, we were happy to be impressed again. I am sure we will keep this on our list of faves. Oh, and the live Jazz on Sat night is just another bit of panache.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.