Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery
32575 Rancho California Rd
P.O. Box 9008
Temecula, CA 92589Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thorntonwine.com/
- Phone: 9516990099
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Steve Pickell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private Function Space Capacities Whether you're planning a business lunch for 10 or a reception for 400, we've got the perfect space to fit your needs. Fountain Terrace Courtyard Event Guest Count Minimum of 30* Seated Meal Function - 400 person maximum Buffet Meal Function - 300 person maximum (outdoor venue) Vineyard View Room Event Guest Count Minimum of 30* Seated Meal Function - 70 person maximum Buffet Meal Function - 50 person maxiumum Winery Production Room Event Guest Count Minimum of 30* Seated Meal Function - 100 person maximum Buffet Meal Function - 80 person maximum (availability based on wine production schedule) Champagne Lounge Event Guest Count Minimum of 20* Seated Meal Function - 30 person maximum Buffet Meal Function - 20 person maximum
- Private Party Contact: Sharon Gallagher 9516990099
- Entertainment: We have live entertainment on the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month. Please call ahead to confirm. We have large Jazz concerts.
A word from Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery
Café Champagne at Thornton Winery is a "want to do" for every visitor to the Temecula Valley. Since 1988, from growing herbs to cutting home-grown flowers, every effort has been made to offer the perfect combination of French Country Elegance and Gold Medal-winning Contemporary Cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery - Best Restaurants in Temecula ›
Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (15)scenic view (15)special occasion (14)great for brunch (11)good for groups (10)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not a good experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had I not been to Cafe Champagne numerous times and had wonderful food and service, based on my experience last Saturday, I would never return. We had a party of 7 Red Hat ladies and our waiter was hardly present, our food was very cold, and we waited so long to pay our bill, I finally had to go find our waiter and give him all our checks. I was very surprised to find that the gratuity for our party was split evenly on our 5 checks, not based on what the individual person ordered, i.e. I paid the same gratuity as someone who's check was 3 times the seize of mine. I really do not appreciate this and frankly with such poor service, I should have had the decision on what to leave for a tip.Special Features:
- dinner @cafe champagneLALindaDined on 10/5/2014My daughter and I dined at Cafe Champagne this past Saturday evening. We enjoyed all aspects of the meal. The service was friendly and efficient. We ordered a mixed red and white flight of wines, as well as a flight of sparkling wines. That was fun. We ate the charcuterie plate (lovely), rack of lamb, and the spinach salad with salmon. The food was hearty and well-presented. We had to wait till almost the end of our meal for the freshly-baked French bread; however, when it got to the table, it was hot and generously portioned. Overall, a very good meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vacationLove2eatDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful lunch for our anniversary, drove over to Temecula from Palm Springs for the day.Special Features:
- Friendly ServiceSophiDancrDined on 9/25/2014The place was surprisingly empty, even for a Thursday evening. Only one other table was occupied in the spacious and elegant dining hall. Outside tables were all empty. Service was good. The waiter gave us 3 free samplers for wine tasting before we settled for a glass of Viognier. The place was super quiet. I wonder what the noise level and service would be in a busier night.Special Features:
- A bit of everythingIdoLVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Mojito was not really a Mojito. The Caesar Salad was far too salty, please mind if you are on a low sodium diet. The "Fish Soup" was not that great, but the Mushroom Ravioli was excellent. One of the best dishes we had in Temecula. We went safe with some Paso Robles wine. Not bad, but could be much betterSpecial Features:
- Lovely DinnerSherylVIPDined on 9/7/2014We had a delicious dinner with wonderful service inside. It was quiet for us which we greatly appreciated, perhaps because there were only a few tables filled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We continue to dine at this restaurant. Mainly for Sunday Brunch. They have music playing outside. Relaxing and overall a great place to go.Special Features:
- 5stardinerDined on 8/31/2014We had an excellent table by the window and our server was excellent. My husband had eggs benedict which were very good. I was so disappointed in the lemon=ricotta pancakes. There was no taste of lemon and the pancakes were very heavy. They did not taste any better than ones I would get at a dennys or any diner. Perhaps offering a lemon crepe would be better.I thought the room did not offer anything special;perhaps in the evening with candlelight it might be better. The price of the brunch with the champagnes was reasonable and I have to say the champagne is delicious. It doesn't stand out among the other wineries. We will go back and try lunch. I never cross off a restaurant after one try.Special Features:
- Girls night out!Sandblast55Dined on 8/29/2014We had an awesome time and will be doing it again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014We visited Cafe Champagne about a month ago with another couple and the food was delicious. However, this time with a group of six of us, the food was just "ok." The omelet was fishy; the French toast a little dry and not as good as described in the menu; the machaca was tasty; and the eggs Benedict was fine. The service was great, but we are going to try other locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/22/2014I was upset to discover that the table that I had reserved was given to somebody else moments before my arrival. I wanted to have a seat close to the band, which was why I made the reservation, got there, my friend was already waiting at "our" table. She said they taken the reserved name off the table they gave me and it wasnt MY name - then let a guy have MY better viewing table, and after talking with him, found out he shared the same last name as I do, McDonald, and had made NO reservations at all! Yet his table had "Reserved for McDonald" on it. When I brought this up to a server they merely argued with me, the manager ignored me completely. NOT happy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I love this place, good food great service, absolutely looking forward to be back soon every one loves it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- closed?onerustyoneVIPDined on 8/10/2014We arrived at our reservation time to find the restaurant closed...but with a lot of people around. We finally got served, and the wait and hassle weren't worth it. Sorry.
- Temecula TreasureDickDined on 8/9/2014As always, a wonderful time at one the few winery restaurants open after 7:00 pm. Quiet dinner in great atmosphere & excellent good & service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014This was pretty good for the only dining option in the area on a week-day night. But the restaurant itself is kind of dingy-looking for the price of the food it serves. Even outside sitting area had a funny smell to it, and the glass wall on the patio needs a wash badly (to allow for the enjoyment of the beautiful views. Food was pretty good -- extra star for the baked brie desert. White wine flight was OK, but all the champaigns in the tasting flight were pretty bad.
- Nice champagne brunch!live2eatDined on 8/3/2014My friends and I enjoyed the champagne brunch during our "Girls' Weekend". The service was wonderful and the food was wonderful, as the three of us ordered three different entrees and split them. We even ordered dessert...all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation MistakeDoctorZDined on 7/30/2014We had made a reservation with a request for a window table. (It was part of a trip to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.) When we arrived on time, another couple was standing in line ahead of us, and the greeter/receptionist seated them at the only table with a window view. I felt a little down about that, but as usual the food was great. We have been Cafe Champagne customers for at least twenty years and will continue to be.Special Features:
- 5 Star Experience!HorsesandWineDined on 6/28/2014My fiancée and I have been at Café Champagne many times. Its a 200 mile round trip for us to get there. The view from indoors and outdoors is breathtaking looking and the vines and rolling hills of the wine country. The food is over the top along with the service. We can not recommend them enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealKatiandDaveDined on 6/26/2014We have been to Cafe Champagne a few times before and have always had a great experience. When my husband's 50th birthday was coming up the first place I thought of for a nice dinner out was Cafe Champagne. We sat on the patio. The service was great. We ordered a "Wine Flight" which gives you a sample of wines. It was a nice way to tastes what they have to offer. Our food was extremely good. The Brie appetizer was to die for!! The sprinklers did come on during our meal and we were getting somewhat wet. Our server quickly pulled down the sun/wind cover. All in all we had a splendid evening.Special Features:
- The following 84 reviews are from the Cafe Champagne Restaurant - Thornton Winery reviews archive.
- Mixed reviewBrunchaholicDined on 6/22/2014This was my second visit for brunch. I have to say the food was disappointing both times. I had the shrimp fritatta this time. It was dry; hardly had any flavor at all; the egg was rubbery - like the dish had been microwaved. The best part was the quiet background music which encouraged table conversation without having to yell - unlike most restaurants. The view is fine, service is okay - not great. We sat inside, due to the hot weather. There were many flies buzzing around our food, which was unappetizing. I don't think I will be visiting again, at least for brunch. I have not had lunch or dinner at Thornton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Winery restaurantEllenDined on 6/22/2014I have eaten here many times. The food is always great. The service is excellent. I have been to a couple of Jazz concerts also and it is a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!NoneDined on 6/20/2014Had high hopes for this restaurant, even came with a special reason to celebrate. The food was not up to standard, putting it mildly. The champagne flight was some of the poorest champagne I've had. Not a good thing for a winery specializing in it. Why don't they serve good champagne? We left most of the food and skipped dessert.Special Features:
- Good foodFoodFanDined on 6/16/2014We sat on the patio with a lovely view of hills and vinyard. We started with a flight of champagne -- quite nice -- and some appetizers. The calamari was well prepared. Two of us selected fish, and two selected steak, and without exception enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Excellent!DelightedDined on 6/15/2014I was very impressed by everything. Wish I could make it a habit of coming, but it is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!HolkeyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Made reservations on Open Table and they sat us outside in the blazing sun. My 85 year old parents were very uncomfortable. I asked to be moved and they said no. We were eaten alive by flies! We even asked if they had a fan.. Of course they did not. Next the food... Which was terrrrible! The frittata was like a burned pancake, I'm not joking! Hamburger was dry and Eggs Benedict was overlooked . The only good was that our server was very nice. Manager did nothing for us. Callaway across the street has a much nicer atmosphere.
- Won't be backFoodiesRUsDined on 6/14/2014Four of us baby-boomers dined on a Saturday and all felt the same way. Dining room interior in need of an update, poor air circulation, underwhelming food, adult beverages sub-par, over-priced. Service was good. Ex: Simple cobb salad with dressing on the side ... had about 6-7 chunks of ham, about 1/3 chopped egg and ALLOT of chopped romaine. If it had anything else on it, couldn't find it. I ordered the recommended champagne ... small flute, pricey and certainly no thoroughbred; I wouldn't even describe it as a friendly mutt (sorely lacking in acidity, good carbonation, aroma, and taste). As a 'champagne' restaurant I was expecting it to make me sit up and take notice. Little value for the prices.
- Sunday, the 8th of Juneplw2014Dined on 6/8/2014We were greeted, seated and served in a timely manner. The food looked appetizing and tasted good. Service was great - friendly, Kyle & company did a good job. When we were seated at noon, the dinning area was a bit "stuffy", but within fifteen minutes someone raised the eisenglass side coverings on the north side and it cooled off. I would suggest on warm days someone be assigned to open up the dinning area before temperatures rise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch and music4658Dined on 6/1/2014Went to Thornton on 6/1/2014 and had great food, champagne and 3 1/2 hours of great music on the patio. I would highly recommend for a fun afternoon.Special Features:
- Food and Service were lackingJessika72VIPDined on 5/18/2014The food was ok, overpriced. I had the lemon ricotta pancakes, I tasted no lemon and no ricotta (not moist). The fruit cup was great and mimosa ok. The service was horrible! We were seated promptly, then couldnt find the waitress. She finally came and we ordered (even though we were missing a party). We let her know that we had reservations at 2pm (it was 12:30 at this point.. reservation was for 12:15, but we had arrived closer to 12) she said no problem. Friend arrives... no waitress. Its now 1:15 when we get her attention, she says the food should be out soon and asks if our friend wants to order, we told her no, there was not enough time. Food came out at 1:25, we ate fast... made it to the cellar room tasting elsewhere :) -phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, Poor Service, OK foodPartyofFiveDined on 5/11/2014Three of us went Mother's Day buffet brunch.The brunch was poorly planned. There was little selection & food trays (like the dessert table) were not restocked quickly enough so that there was very little to choose from at once. Maybe they were trying to conserve food to last the whole day? There was a one person omelet station and crepe (premade crepes warmed for 10 seconds with a mixture of glazed fruit plopped in the middle), which created lines. The crab legs had flies on them, which made them very unappetizing. There was a live jazz guitarist, which was way too loud (especially if you are older and hard of hearing) and our waiter automatically charged his 20% tip to our bill, which was over $350 for the three of us, with no alcohol!
- Generally goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014I didn't realize when I made the reservation on line that they were doing a special event for Mother's Day. It would be an improvement on Open Table if they had a way of notifying you of this. Instead of their menu, they had an elaborate buffet. The food was good, for a buffet. The service was good. The scenery beautiful. The bill was outrageous. It was almost $300 for three of us for a buffet lunch! I expect an amazing dinner with every bite being insanely delicious for $100 per person. This was really disappointing.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch Way Overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food was very good. Buffet-style with a made-to-order omelet and (pre-made) crepe station, fruit and cheese platters, nice deserts, delicious beef, and the best bacon I have ever had. After arriving, and walking through the beautiful outdoor seating area with live music, we were seated inside the cafe - with no option to sit outside, claiming that all seats were reserved upon booking. Sitting outside would have made the day closer to being worth the price they charged - $63 per person!!! With 4 adults, and two of them adding the $12 Champagne deal, and $22 in tax, the bill came out to $298. They then ADDED 18% Gratuity - another $54! For $352 we should have all gotten flown to the restaurant in a helicopter. Brunch should never be $350.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Royally GougedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014It's terribly overpriced for what it is. $62.95/pp for brunch (Mother's Day or not ) - please? Another $12.00/pp for champagne on top of a $62.95 brunch? I could had a really nice dinner for that price. The food was okay but nothing special or as wide ranging in selection as the brunch at Wilson Creek up the road. The servers did not keep the food plates stocked, so they all looked picked over and you had to wait if you wanted something. To add insult to injury, despite it being a help-yourself brunch, the waiter added an 18% tip onto our already outrageous bill. Big rip off. Not going back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Great place to stop and have food with your wine!Special Features:
- eatoutalotVIPDined on 5/9/2014We had a great time.. Missy Anderson was FANTASTICSpecial Features:
- Noise LevelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/8/2014I had been here before and enjoyed the serene lunch on the patio. I took guests and was very disappointed to have to eat inside because the blaring vocal music was not conducive to having a nice conversation or hearing the waiter explain our flight of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2014Years ago my daughters and I went to Thornton's for a Christmas dinner. I have talked about how great it was ever since. We were going to be in Palm Desert, It was time for a birthday celebration, And the winery was the birthdate girl's first choice. The wine flights were excellent, the server was superb and the food was fabulous. In short, we were not disappointed in the least and will stop there again on our way to San Diego. Yes, we even joined their wine club. Make sure you ask about it as we felt that it was to good to be true. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic servicedogloverDined on 5/4/2014Stephanie was a fantastic waitress. She helped make our day out perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerThePirateDined on 5/3/2014Although very good, my Cioppino potrion was smaller this evening. Hmmm?Special Features:
- Too Little for Too MuchCMartinezDined on 4/11/2014The service was slow and the food all though very tasty a bit skimpy on portions. It's a very nice place especially with the concerts thay have through out the summer but for the food, it's a bit pricy in my opinion.Special Features: