200 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10166Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecentrony.com/
- Phone: 2128181222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Call Sharon Collebello at 212-949-8248.
A word from Café Centro
Café Centro is a bustling midtown brasserie with a stylish look that echoes the glamour of Paris in the 1930's. Guests can watch our chef as he prepares French-inspired cuisine with Mediterranean accents and sear top quality steaks. Pastry chef Ken Larsen's sumptuous desserts are not to be missed. The well priced wine list has received numerous Wine Spectator awards and has been voted "Best Beaujolais Bistro". Regular wine dinners are well attended. The attached Beer Bar is a great place for New York’s best burger, a casual lunch or to unwind over craft beers and cocktails. For parties of 12 or more please call our Catering Department 212-949-8248.Visit our other great restaurants by clicking on the link below.Continued
The Patina Restaurant Group (http://www.patinagroup.com)
The Patina Restaurant Group (http://www.patinagroup.com)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Centro reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (68)neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (29)special occasion (26)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- rip offsusanVIPDined on 9/11/2014I think it is a disgrace to charge $4.75 for an ice tea REFILL filled with ice and very little tea.
- gourmetgalVIPDined on 9/5/2014I had a business lunch to schedule in midtown and selected Centro primarily because of its location. The rewards of my choice went well beyond being able to just hop off an air-conditioned bus on a hot afternoon. Having mentioned in my reservation notes that we needed to talk, the restaurant assigned us a lovely quiet table in their smallest room. Next we were given the prix fix lunch menu, which was cooling and delicious. We tried both the chilled gazpacho and the frisse salad and then all had cold poach salmon. Portions were generous, especially the included cookie plate. We will be certain to return.Special Features:
- Getting even betterClaudetteNYDined on 9/4/2014We usually come here once a year, except we'd forgotten what a perfect dining experience you have at Café Centro. Service is attentive and accommodating, the food is pretty sublimes, and they make a very generous martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014the schnitzel we (4 of us) ordered was disappointing, very dry, obviously precooked before and heated for service.This was lunch and the dish was the special of the day. We have dined there many times and will probably go back. Bad dishes do happen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business BreakfastAlexVIPDined on 9/3/2014I would describe Cafe Centro as a hotel restaurant that isn't in a hotel. The prices are a bit high, and I probably wouldn't seek it out as a destination, but on the other hand if you need a spot to meet someone for a business breakfast near Grand Central (as I did), it's hard to imagine a more perfect place. The food was fine, the service was attentive and the tables were spaced well apart so it was possible to discuss business in reasonable privacy.
- ThebulletDined on 8/27/2014Though we sat outside on noisy 45th st it was still nice to dine outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Breakfast SpotNickDined on 8/27/2014The location can't be beat, the food is very good and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- excellent service and locationblankDined on 8/26/2014Service was excellent and the food was good. good selection of food. glad it was not too many. very convenient location for mid week business or family lunches and dinnersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose Cafe Centro purely due toOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014its location. Very convenient & the food was good considering the number of meals they pump out. But the pace was frantic and we felt a bit rushed.
- Civilized Dining Experience in NYCWeezyVIPDined on 8/20/2014A spacious seating arrangement, moderate noise levels and over the top service make for the most civilized dining experience in NYC. We always ask to be seated at Eric's station who steers us through their chef's latest exciting creations and we never fail to have a great experience.Special Features:
- Always reliableReviewerDined on 8/20/2014Good food, good service. A great location for a business lunch or quick dinner, esp if you are a slave to a train schedule. Bar is good for a drink as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014My favorite restaurant for dinner -- not crowded nor noisy, fine menu and service, reasonable cost.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014Our server was especially fabulous - caring, knowledgeable, sensitive and respectful of conversations at our table, as well as cheerful and didn't hover. Bravo!Special Features:
- good placebdaygirlDined on 8/5/2014ate here ....two birthday dinners restaurant week menu very good. wine good. quiet enough. recommendSpecial Features:
- Very good if you stick to basics.stitcherDined on 8/4/2014I went to Café Centro for dinner during Restaurant Week. It's a lovely quiet atmosphere. NOTHING on the Restaurant Week menu appealed to me except the dessert part. Watermelon/tomato gazpacho - really? Spaghetti with clams and cockles - cockles? I ditched the $38.00 menu and chose the crab cake appetizer (great) and the rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes (they kindly switched the French fries). The chicken and potatoes were very good. I enjoyed my dinner. I just think the restaurant week menu could use some tweaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm....Creme Brulee!Tracey72Dined on 8/1/2014We found Café Centro almost by accident as it was kitty corner to our hotel. We ended up going back there three times as it was one of the few places in New York that understood what Celiac Disease was and had many gluten free alternatives. great wait staff and the best crème brulee in New York!Special Features:
- Good Foodargmza1973Dined on 8/1/2014The quality of food and service is outstanding. A+ gradeSpecial Features:
- Not as I'd rememberednew2AtlantaDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten here twice in the past month. (It was formerly a favorite, near GCT.) On both occasions, the food was disappointing. The second time was during Restaurant Week...food was almost cold when served, and the main courses were really ordinary. The desserts, however, were outstanding.
- Business LunchUpstreamDined on 7/30/2014Café Centro is a great place for a business lunch. You are able to talk without being rushed and its central location in midtown is a plus. The food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Fabulous food.WorththemoneyDined on 7/28/2014This is the best meal I've had out in a long time. The food was superb. Service was excellent and the staff was welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam 1937Sam1937Dined on 7/26/2014We were six adults. The restaurant was not crowded which may have helped to create the low noise level and excellent service. We had six main dishes, four appetizers and three desserts. All of the dishes were excellent and well presented. All the drinks and wines were given excellent ratings by the guests. A very pleasant experience; we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre Dinner FindMarkDDined on 7/26/2014Having waited until the last minute to buy show tickets, I found that all the so-called "hidden gems" and better-rated restaurants on Saturday evening were booked solid. Cafe' Centro, apparently bustling during the week with the business crowd, was by contrast an easy walk-in with no reservations. The place offered a moderately elegant setting with first-class food and friendly, accommodating (but not intrusive) service. An easy cab ride down 42nd afterward with plenty of time to spare. Will keep Cafe' Centro on my shortlist for pre-show, and other, meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peter22Dined on 7/25/2014Friday evening during restaurant week, we had a very pleasant dinner at Café Centro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for thoughtKellyyipDined on 7/22/2014The food was fine as always. I have been to this place many times for lunch, however, this was the first time I patronized the restaurant for dinner. Though I gave a 20 percentage gratuity, the service could have been better, e.g., a very long wait between the entrée, main course and dessert, and it wasn't even busy that night.Special Features:
- Simply wonderfmews4598VIPDined on 7/15/2014The food gets better and better. This time the lobster was outstanding and the rhubarb dessert was fabulous. Everyone enjoyed the best cookies ever😍😍😍Special Features:
- NYfoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Have been here many times over the years... Never disappoints... Comfortable atmosphere, good food and nice service...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014I eat at this restaurant a lot. It's in a great location for subway, metro north, bus & taxi. Food is consistantly good. I had ordered a dish the last time I was there that was too spicy for me. No questions asked they replaced it with another entree of my choice. I don't think anyone can be disappointed at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodRobinVIPDined on 7/9/2014Good for breakfast, lunch and drinks after work. I come here often with business colleagues.Special Features:
- Above my expectationslavflyVIPDined on 7/8/2014I was very pleased with my dinner at Cafe Centro. Well-rounded menu, reasonably priced to moderately expensive. Fabulous baguette to start, and ample wine list by the glass. Crab/lobster cakes delicious, steak frites excellent, onion soup looked authentic. Good portions, except my only disappointment was in the sea bass. It was very tasty, but it was a slight and slim piece, in a broth. With nothing accompanying it. Will definitely return just won't order the sea bass. Hamburger looked sensational.Special Features:
- the most under-rated restaurantDan505Dined on 7/8/2014I have been a regular at Cafe Centro for many years. The quality of the food has been very consistent over the years. It is highly under-rated because I rank it among the top 10 best restaurants in New YorkSpecial Features:
- The Best.JordyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Prices are moderate.Service always top notch.One will never feel like a 2nd class citizen here.Special Features:
- Great for Midtown Business LunchTheWallStreetPoetDined on 6/26/2014Continuously excellent venue for midtown business luncheons with friends, clients, colleagues, even adversaries. Excellent fare. Attentive staff at front and at table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch reviewFoodLvrDined on 6/24/2014Great French cuisine. Wonderful variety and excellently crafted menu. Exceltional service and atmosphere for a business lunch or dinner, but great for non-business too! A little pricy, but that was expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladyWholunchesDined on 6/19/2014Nice place for lunch. Good service. It was definitely too noisy. Their signature salad was very good, as was the trout. The booth we had was very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMidtown48VIPDined on 6/19/2014I have eaten here many times over the last 10+ years. The last 2x have been not up to the prior experiences. This time I specifically requested that the bacon be done "crisply" on the $29 lobster club. It arrived with soggy very undercooked bacon. When I asked for it to be replaced I was told that it gets like that on the sandwich - what? My friend's burger had perfectly cooked bacon and when I pointed it out he grudgingly brought me other bacon - 10 mins later and it was charred to petrification. I gave up. Also some of the lobster was shredded and tough. I had a much better experience from Luke's Lobster food truck the week before. Wine was good and so was creme brûlée, but for $62 (with tax and tip) I will not be rushing back.
- As a breakfast placeSD2NYDined on 6/12/2014If you need a reasonably priced, reasonably quiet place with decent unexciting food for a business breakfast near Grand Central, Cafe Centro is just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient spot to Grand Centraldocky2VIPDined on 6/11/2014Coming into town and staying right in Grand Central is a blessing in bad weather and just for a time when coming in just for a lunch and heading back out. Food is good, not outstanding . The place is pleasant and the staff friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nancynous49Dined on 6/11/2014First time visit will be back. Greeted well by staff and our server was especially efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable favoriteNYDinerVIPDined on 6/10/2014The location makes this ideal for a business lunch or a relaxing dinner after work. The food does not disappoint and the wines are good yet affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Centro - disappointing!!Luv4foodVIPDined on 6/9/2014I was dissapointed at the recent service here and embarrassed because the place was my suggestion. As this is usually my default for a quick dinner with a friend or client. Reservations were for 5:45 on a quiet Monday night!!! My guest was seated and I joined him around 6pm. The server never came to the table to take our order for beverages but served others in the area who arrived after us. We didn't receive our meal until much later. No apology from the waiter and we left a good tip. I will not recommend this restaurant to friends.