243 Lilac Street
Winnipeg, MB R3M 2S2Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecarlo.com/
- Phone: 204-477-5544
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Unspecified, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Dave Hyde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for parties of 30-45... Some restrictions apply
- Private Party Contact: Joel Boulet 204-477-5544
A word from Cafe Carlo
Cafe Carlo is a friendly, unpretentious Canadian bistro located in Winnipeg’s Little Italy neighborhood. Cafe Carlo’s warm, comfortable atmosphere has been a staple in Winnipeg’s dining scene and continues to be considered among the city’s best restaurants since it was established in 1989. The atmosphere and the décor have evolved from the restaurant’s humble “rummage sale” chic beginnings. The owners and employees believed that a great restaurant simply was meant to be “about the food”. The passion of the very first employees and their love of food & drink remain intact to this day. We want to share the foods and beverages we love, that the world loves, with each of our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Carlo - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Cafe Carlo reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (55)special occasion (45)romantic (32)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (19)good for groups (18)hot spot (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- first time for our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Our evening at Cafe Carlo was amazing. The service was great, the food was excellent, one of the best meals we have ever had in a restaurant. The ambience was perfect and the prices not too high. I would definitely refer friends and family to this restaurant, and we plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnowledgableHeidiDined on 9/14/2014Our server Bonnie was very knowledgable with the wines. She knew how to describe each one well. The food was superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentTeenagedFoodieDined on 9/12/2014As a teenager, I clearly see things differently than adults, but not entirely. Me and my girlfriend went out for dinner to cafe Carlos a few nights ago and u was satisfied. Now it wasn't flawless, but overall, a decent meal. We started off with the calamari, which was nice. The calamari itself wasn't special but the garlic aoli was delicious. I had the chef special (seared yellow fin tuna with a Asian coleslaw and a wild rice pilaf) and my girlfriend had the gnocchi. I really loved my fish and the rice was nice, but the slaw was slightly boring. I also tried the gnocchi (which had the creamy pesto sauce) which was really good! The meal was a bit pricey but the ambiance of the place is great and location is really great too. Keep it up guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service was very friendly and professional, but receiving our food was extremely slow. I found the lunch menu to be more of an appetizer selection than full meals. This could drive up the price point if you want to taste more than one item. Perhaps going in knowing you should share plates will be beneficial to a more positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must place to goalpatDined on 9/11/2014The service was outstanding, the food was excellent. Good specials, the waitress was knowledgeable and very attentive. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westwood foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent and the service good as well. Our daughter recommended some food choices and we were not disappointed. We will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Carlo continues to impressFoodieFromTheNorthDined on 9/3/2014Out of towners really appreciate the non-chain menu & local neighbourhood feel of this place. Anyone I've brought here has been impressed and left town knowing there's more to Winnipeg dining than Earl's, Joey's & The Keg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialsfandrfDined on 8/27/2014We were not greeted at the door, our service was sub par and we didn't feel like anyone would even notice if we left. The drinks we ordered were 3 oz and it would have been nice to have been given an option or at least made aware since we were driving. Soup was fantastic, salad was bland. The entrees were delicious though so if I were rating solely on that it was really good. Overall experience, unfortunately, was disappointing.
- Will return, but wasn't the bestPeggerDined on 8/23/2014Cafe Carlo is one of our favorite Winnipeg restaurants but the food on Saturday was underwhelming. Perhaps it was because our reservation was for 8:45 and the kitchen was too busy and tired (we normally go earlier in the evening) or perhaps it was just an off night, but my husband always gets the same dish - his favorite - and this time he didn't even finish it. Our guest raved about the lamb, however. The service was still great, I love the new art on the walls (jazz greats), and the wine list was still impressive. We will try it again, with fingers crossed that the food returns to the excellence we have come to expect.Special Features:
- great local restaurantasgreviewDined on 8/21/2014excellent local restaurant with charm and great neighborhood feel.Beef tenderloin made 529 wellington look bad. It was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food needs better presentationGaryCoVIPDined on 8/21/2014I like Café Carlo but I'd like to see an upgrade to the menu and to the food presentation. A higher end approach would draw me back on a regular basis. The crispy shrimp appetizer was very good. The chicken and pasta and the pickerel with mac and cheese entrees were both good but could be improved. Our server was delightful and provided great service.Special Features:
- Great executionWorldsmostinterestingmanDined on 8/19/2014The Kitchen performs very well. Very delicious, well prepared food.Special Features:
- Service simply outstandingcompletegameDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner on August 16/14 and enjoyed it immensely. My girlfriend has many serious food allergies and thus had to be very cautious as to what she eats. Our waitress Tara, was simply outstanding ensuring the food did not contain anything which would create problems. In addition she was very, very warm and professional. The food was excellent and the evening was a complete success. This was probably my 10th time at Cafe Carlos but was my girlfriends first and she was very impressed with the whole package including the ambience. We definitely would recommend to others and come again ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Nice evening we all enjoyed the food. Had no trouble having a conversation, my kids meeting my boyfriend so stressful nite, but all went well thankyou!Special Features:
- Gently satisfyingartieDined on 8/8/2014The food quality, quantity and presentation were all superb. I thoroughly enjoyed the mango chicken curry, and my wife equally enjoyed a delicious salmon dish. For lunchtime, the restaurant was quiet, easy to hold a pleasant conversation. Our foursome remarked that our host was always readily available and friendly, yet never intrusive with her presence. Somehow we've missed this little gem within 2 blocks of our home, but that's about to change. I'm booking a luncheon for this coming week, and will definitely frequent it more often in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food and Experience!achillesDined on 8/5/2014Terrific Food and Experience! I love cafe carlo, and never miss a chance to dine here. Food is outstanding and the service is quick and accurate!Special Features:
- Hidden pasta gem - for sure!ApplesDined on 8/2/2014Had heard about this restaurant years ago, but "Cafe" in the name kinda threw me off. When in search of great pasta, CC was recommended to us by a friend. What a find (so we thought)!! Positives: Scallops with the Bacon Jam is incredible; our entrees were fantastic. Less than positive: Sangria wasn't bad; not a big fan of the Creme Caramel. But definitely returning to CC in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go againMBChowhoundsDined on 8/1/2014Excellent. Had fish tacos and scallops as appetizers. The scallops had a bacon jam topping and awhite bean and leek sauce. You get a generous 6 fish tacos. The shells were homemade (in a good way). My wife is in love with the Fett Chile and I really enjoyed the salmon. If you don't like chorizo in your pasta, just ask to sub for more chicken. It seems we ordered some of the popular dishes as others had it arriving too. The sangria was excellent but at $9 a glass, I'd suggest buying the litre. The features list was a bit cryptic for the pricing of this. We didn't get to desserts as we were quite sated already. I'd suggest only ordering one appetizer to save room for dessert. The restaurant fills up quickly after 6:00.Special Features:
- Bad smell/good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Service and food were terrific for our lunch meeting. Couldn't help but notice an off-putting musty smell when entering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fett Chile is AmazingHeatherRDined on 7/19/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for birthdays or just an evening out. Great food, great wine, great ambiance, and great staff. My personal favourite is the Fett Chile or I like ordering the Fantasy and sharing with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too overpricedHjhh136Dined on 7/14/2014When you add up all the tacky add on's for a half salad to come with your entree, it's way overpriced. The quality of food is ok, not great, but you're paying for great food.
- Great service, ambience and foodnicLDined on 7/11/2014Overall a great first experience with the restaurant. Our party will absolutely recommend it to friends and family. The food specials were superb and unique and I was particularly impressed by the service. The server was very attentive, friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem!!luvthisgemDined on 7/5/2014Wow, Cafe Carlo is definitely a place to go. I had both the seafood chowder and seafood pasta. Both were outstanding. The taste was perfect and they definitely did not shy away from the different kinds of seafood. All in all, this is a perfect getaway if you really want to enjoy and experience true great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will returngr8lunchDined on 7/5/2014Enjoyed our evening out and will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!rlsreviewDined on 7/5/2014Our dinner at Café Carlo was delicious, and the service was fast and friendly. Someone was there to fill our water glasses before they were empty and our server came to check on us often enough but not too often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilbebackWilbebackDined on 6/28/2014Once again the food and service were excellent. Had a good evening at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all-around fantastic evening!Riverview1960Dined on 6/25/2014I generally find something I don't like about a restaurant. It never has everything. Either the food is good and the decor barely tolerable; or the ambience is fantastic but as a non-meat eater I resort to a grilled cheese sandwhich on each visit (i.e. Rae & Jerry's). But absolutely everything at Cafe Carlo was fantastic! Food, decor, service, noise level, even the other patrons! (No one was closing a real estate deal so loudly he could be heard by everyone at my first and last visit to Gusto Pizzeria). Special mention must be made to our server. Actually both servers! They we attentive and discreet. A perfect combination! I'll be back within the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MTCladiesDined on 6/25/2014Excellent food, service and personal attention by the owner. Thanks againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinner!Hungry4SomethingNewDined on 6/22/2014It was my first visit for dinner - amazing from start to finish - and I hear nothing but good things about lunch so that's next! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be BackFood4uDined on 6/20/2014Our party of four enjoyed food from every section of the menu. The waitress's suggestions were appreciated. The spring rolls, fish taco appetizers and fresh Caesar salad set the bar for good flavour. Portions were generous, so much so that two of us left with food and never before have I not finished a delicious creme brûlée. We would recommend making reservations for a weekend evening meal especially as the place was very busy then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the markallynneDined on 6/15/2014The Café is usually excellent with very good service and marvellous food at a very good price point. Unsure why both food and service were sub-standard on this occasion. True enough, we were slow to order as we caught up with our cousins. This was particularly unfortunate timing, as we were hosted by cousins from out of town. Where service is usually right on, this time an order was lost, food poorly prepared and overall quality of the evening less than usual. Given how atypical this was, we will return. The Café definitely warrants another chance.Special Features:
- One of my favourite places.JanandfriendsDined on 6/14/2014I had not been to Cafe Carlo for some time, after being a weekly regular, and was very pleased to see new items in the menu. The food was wonderful and, even though it was new, it still said "Cafe Carlo". The server was very pleasant, friendly and efficient. The art on the wall is always a great comment on "neighborhood" restaurant here! The noise level is still too high for me. The circular sound baffles look great but I am not sure how well they work. The room divider adds a nice decorative touch. But.....it's all about the food.......and I give you 5 out of 5 stars there.Special Features:
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014Our first visit to Cafe Carlo was exceptional. The service was superb and the food - the best. Will be revisiting this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great spot!Smk250Dined on 6/12/2014Yummy food and attentive service. They allowed us to meet uninterrupted, gave us plenty of time. The food was ready quickly once we put our orders in. It tasted great! Nice kick of heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!APeaDined on 6/7/2014Our dinner was fantastic! I had the "fantasy" and was pleased with my choice. The Spring Rolls were delicious, I liked the Ceasar Salad (it has panko bread crumbs instead croutons) and the Fete Chile was amazing, sweet and spicy! The dessert was the icing on the cake, the Creme Brulee was so yummy, creamy on the inside and the thick caramel topping was perfectly crispy. Our waitress was a delight and the ambiance was lovely.Special Features:
- The following 442 reviews are from the Cafe Carlo reviews archive.
- lunch for four ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We all chose a different menu item and were delighted with our lunches! Kudos to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Great restaurant with friendly efficient service. Appetizers, meal and dessert were very tasty and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistenlty delivershappyandfullDined on 5/22/2014once again, joel boulet served up a wonderful dining experience in the warm environment of his neighborhood restaurant. all four of us were exceedingly satisfied with our starters and the generous main courses. for dessert, joel surprised us with the addition of a special dessert made with cavena nuda, an item that had appeared a couple of months ago as a special on his menu. as we were raving about the dessert upon our arrival, joel secretly began to cook up this very nutritious and unique dessert; what attentive and thoughtful service. thank you joel for a 5 star experience!Special Features:
- Seafood Chowder!driverladyDined on 5/15/2014The best seafood chowder we have ever tasted...and we have travelled extensively along both North American Coasts. Who knew a mid-continent restaurant would do this? Just a wonderful place---ambiance, service and the food all perfect.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningkrispyDined on 5/12/2014Had a lovely, enjoyable evening at Cafe Carlo to celebrate our 41st wedding anniversary. Food, service, ambience all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.