243 Lilac Street
Winnipeg, MB R3M 2S2Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecarlo.com/
- Phone: (204) 477-5544
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Unspecified, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Dave Hyde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for parties of 30-45... Some restrictions apply
- Private Party Contact: Joel Boulet 204-477-5544
A word from Cafe Carlo
Cafe Carlo is a friendly, unpretentious Canadian bistro located in Winnipeg’s Little Italy neighborhood. Cafe Carlo’s warm, comfortable atmosphere has been a staple in Winnipeg’s dining scene and continues to be considered among the city’s best restaurants since it was established in 1989. The atmosphere and the décor have evolved from the restaurant’s humble “rummage sale” chic beginnings. The owners and employees believed that a great restaurant simply was meant to be “about the food”. The passion of the very first employees and their love of food & drink remain intact to this day. We want to share the foods and beverages we love, that the world loves, with each of our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cafe Carlo - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Cafe Carlo reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (51)romantic (36)great for lunch (30)good for groups (24)notable wine list (21)hot spot (17)late-night find (15)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent meal as alwayscoducolDined on 11/16/2014We have been to Cafe Carlo numerous times both as a family and a couples dinner. We have yet to be disappointed in the food or service. My wife has tried different menu items and has always enjoyed her order while I try to find a reason to deviate from the Fett Chile but have not been able to so far. The relative small size of the restaurant makes it less convienient for a large group to dine, but also adds to the ambience of the establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too rushed.EmmaDined on 11/15/2014We felt rushed. The waitress wanted to take our food order before she had even offered us a pre-dinner drink. The food came quickly and coffee wasn't even offered. We were in and out in an hour. Too quick for the price of the meal. Also, there was nothing included with the entrees. With the addition of a salad or soup the price went up appreciably. On the positive side, the food was very good.Special Features:
- Cafe Carlo excels as usual!Beth7925Dined on 11/15/2014We discovered Café Carlo a few years ago and have returned at least a dozen times hence. Each time we are delighted with the food and service. Definitely try the Fett Chile if you enjoy a bit of spice - it is by far my favourite dish - and if you have the appetite enjoying it as part of the fantasy combination meal is well worth the full feeling afterwards! My husband tried the Pappardelle Curry for the first time this last visit and it was awesome too - I'm not sure they make anything badly. The service is always friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit at Cafe CarloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We had the pleasure of having our first dining experience at Café Carlo last weekend. My husband and myself went with another couple to celebrate nothing in particular and were looking for new place to try out. I had heard wonderful things about this place and had been wanting to try in out for sometime. Well, we were not disappointed! The men in the group had the meaty penne and loved it. I had the Szechuen linguine and it was lovely and my friend had the fette chile which was also raved about. The service was great- friendly and attentive but not overbearing. The food and drinks were out quickly. All in all it was a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodchachachaDined on 11/8/2014Had the special of the week, it came out in a reasonable amount of time and tasted great. Good thing we booked a reservation because it was packed on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night OutnotoutoftenDined on 11/8/2014We were not sure what to expect as this was our first time dining there, but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the atmosphere was good as well. We will certainly go there again, and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sroefinDined on 11/1/2014As always wxcellent food. knowledgeible and friendly service.Special Features:
- Great food, nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014This was a great place to eat. The food was good and the noise level allowed for conversation. I highly recommend the fish tacos. The only thing I didn't like is the location of the table we had. It was right at the entrance to the kitchen and bar so there was constant traffic behind my chair, many people bumping into the back of my chair as they went by.Special Features:
- Adequate at bestUn4tunateDined on 10/31/20143 people served by what can only be described as a snootty server. Veal dish exceptional Meaty Pasta dish quite tasty The special that evening was duck. It came over cooked and quite tough. When kindly discussed with the server her response was "well it's the first we've heard of it all night" and she walked away? I've been lucky enough to have eaten at some wonderful bistros and very fine restaurants...... This was neither! See no reason to return. There are way too many great places to dine in Winnipeg
- Will returnHeatherDined on 10/31/2014Everything about our visit to Cafe Carlo was wonderful. Service was sensitively timed, food was delicious. I had asked for a window table and so even the noise level was not an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely Meal - as alwaysNightsky44Dined on 10/31/2014Once again I visited this excellent restaurant with a friend and we had a great night. I love that it feels clean and crisp, yet comfortable and familiar. Can always rely on food quality, service, interesting seasonal specials and a lively display of local art. This time they had gorgeous large format paintings in black and white in a ' jazz' theme that really popped and dressed up the place. We stayed for hours visiting. Its noisy enough to be vibrant yet with enough buzz to feel private and without having to yell at each other to carry a good conversation. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodie1990Dined on 10/31/2014I had a great experience at cafe Carlo. The food was amazing ordered the clam chowder it was out if this world good so much seafood and so fresh and only 6 dollars for a cup. You get fresh ingrediants and you are getting what you pay for. I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ByronFalkVIPDined on 10/25/2014Some of the best Pasta Dishes I've had the privilege of experiencing.Special Features:
- Special spot!!BirthdaypartyDined on 10/25/2014First time to Carlos Cafe and we'll definitely be back. Everyone in our group of 4 enjoyed their meal and the service was the best! Not too expensive for the caliber of the food. We'll be recommending to friends and family.Special Features:
- A memorable dinnerPahsahDined on 10/24/2014Later in the day Friday, I was able to get a reservation online, which was very convenient and user friendly, as it was my first time using the on line reservation application on your page....drinks, wine, food and service were superb. Our server was especially warm and helpful plus had sincere enthusiasm for us enjoying our evening And made us feel welcome while giving us excellent service throughout the night...and tables were filled!Special Features:
- Night out with friends, & UnknownssuburbanfoodieDined on 10/23/2014Cafe Carlo is a Winnipeg institution, with some of the best bistro style food in the city. Whether you love pasta, or more hearty fare, you can count on a great meal with attentive service. The nightly specials are a favourite, expanding the menu with a nightly taste of chef's creations. The little restaurant's challenge is noise level. In a small room, it takes one loud table to turn a nice dinner into a raucous affair. The people across from us, a group of four men, were uncaring about the discomfort they were causing for the other diners. We heard comments from people on both sides of us. It's too bad the middle stub wall isn't extended. That said, we've enjoyed Cafe Carlo on many occasions. We recommend the fett chile - spicy, yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Food was amazing, service was outstanding, atmosphere was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why didn't I come soonerKtGardensDined on 10/18/2014Great value for the wonderful food. Excellent wine offered at under $40 which is getting harder to find. 3/4 of our group lived our meals! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Bullet ProofandykremaxDined on 10/17/2014Great meal, and always a good time. I could eat the seafood chowder everyday, and the Halibut special was a "best ever"Special Features:
- Great Food, Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014This is definitely a neighbourhood GEM! parking is free and always available nearby. The Food is always fresh and portions are always generous. Great for any occasionSpecial Features:
- One of the best in the city!PizzaLoverDined on 10/7/2014If you want good food, this is the place to go. Their signature dish is amazing. Homemade goodness. Great for a special occasion or birthday. Amazing deserts. Great all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightAndreainthePegDined on 10/7/2014Shared a number of plates with friends. All were delicious and everyone raved. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Carlo is worth the trip!3amigasDined on 10/7/2014My two friends and I chose Cafe Carlo for a special lunch. It was our first visit and we were extremely impressed with both the food and the atmosphere. The soup of the day and the salads were delicious, as well as friendly helpful service. We highly recommend this gem.Special Features:
- Great food , outstanding serviceSimbaDined on 10/5/2014The menu selection was fabulous, but we were also informed it's changing in a week. I see this as a sign that there are many regulars and they want them to keep coming back! The service was outstanding from door to table. The wine recommendation turned out splendid with our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and Intimate Little PlaceXtrykrDined on 10/4/2014This is a fantastic little restaurant on the corner of Corydon and Lilac. Many options for meat eaters, and a couple select dishes for vegans as well as gluten-free pasta options. It doesn't seat too many people, so it's imperative to book a reservation to ensure seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014I have eaten at Cafe Carlo many times and always enjoy it. The food is prepared in unique and thoughtful ways; always delicious. I had the Caesar salad with Prawns for lunch and the lettuce was about the crispest I have ever had... absolutely wonderful the crunch it had! My dining companion was an elderly aunt who is a bit of a complainer. When she complained her mushroom bisque was too salty, the restaurant offered her other choices and she was pleased with the salad. When she complained the omelet was too salty (it contained Feta which is a saltier cheese), they remade the omelet from scratch with cheddar cheese (even though that is not how they normally make it. The restaurant was gracious about accommodating a complaining aunt!Special Features:
- As usual --- excellent all 'round!BirthdayGirlDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant continues to serve great food in a charming atmosphere with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant time.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014There's a reason Cafe Carlo has been around for 25 years. They never have an "off" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nite outTraveller11Dined on 9/25/2014It's just what we were looking for: good food, prompt service, and a semi-private setting. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Lunch with the girlsfood4lifeDined on 9/23/2014Really enjoyed our lunch. Food was great, well presented. I go to Café Carlo a few times a year. For me, the best part is they have gluten free options, as well they take very good care of several other food allergies I have. They are so accommodating and I never feel bad about asking for special consideration. Not all restaurant takes allergies seriously. Café Carlo is fantastic.Special Features:
- first time for our anniversarytrawiDined on 9/19/2014Our evening at Cafe Carlo was amazing. The service was great, the food was excellent, one of the best meals we have ever had in a restaurant. The ambience was perfect and the prices not too high. I would definitely refer friends and family to this restaurant, and we plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnowledgableHeidiDined on 9/14/2014Our server Bonnie was very knowledgable with the wines. She knew how to describe each one well. The food was superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentTeenagedFoodieDined on 9/12/2014As a teenager, I clearly see things differently than adults, but not entirely. Me and my girlfriend went out for dinner to cafe Carlos a few nights ago and u was satisfied. Now it wasn't flawless, but overall, a decent meal. We started off with the calamari, which was nice. The calamari itself wasn't special but the garlic aoli was delicious. I had the chef special (seared yellow fin tuna with a Asian coleslaw and a wild rice pilaf) and my girlfriend had the gnocchi. I really loved my fish and the rice was nice, but the slaw was slightly boring. I also tried the gnocchi (which had the creamy pesto sauce) which was really good! The meal was a bit pricey but the ambiance of the place is great and location is really great too. Keep it up guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service was very friendly and professional, but receiving our food was extremely slow. I found the lunch menu to be more of an appetizer selection than full meals. This could drive up the price point if you want to taste more than one item. Perhaps going in knowing you should share plates will be beneficial to a more positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must place to goalpatDined on 9/11/2014The service was outstanding, the food was excellent. Good specials, the waitress was knowledgeable and very attentive. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westwood foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent and the service good as well. Our daughter recommended some food choices and we were not disappointed. We will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Carlo continues to impressFoodieFromTheNorthDined on 9/3/2014Out of towners really appreciate the non-chain menu & local neighbourhood feel of this place. Anyone I've brought here has been impressed and left town knowing there's more to Winnipeg dining than Earl's, Joey's & The Keg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialsfandrfDined on 8/27/2014We were not greeted at the door, our service was sub par and we didn't feel like anyone would even notice if we left. The drinks we ordered were 3 oz and it would have been nice to have been given an option or at least made aware since we were driving. Soup was fantastic, salad was bland. The entrees were delicious though so if I were rating solely on that it was really good. Overall experience, unfortunately, was disappointing.
- Will return, but wasn't the bestPeggerDined on 8/23/2014Cafe Carlo is one of our favorite Winnipeg restaurants but the food on Saturday was underwhelming. Perhaps it was because our reservation was for 8:45 and the kitchen was too busy and tired (we normally go earlier in the evening) or perhaps it was just an off night, but my husband always gets the same dish - his favorite - and this time he didn't even finish it. Our guest raved about the lamb, however. The service was still great, I love the new art on the walls (jazz greats), and the wine list was still impressive. We will try it again, with fingers crossed that the food returns to the excellence we have come to expect.Special Features:
- great local restaurantasgreviewDined on 8/21/2014excellent local restaurant with charm and great neighborhood feel.Beef tenderloin made 529 wellington look bad. It was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.