243 Lilac Street
Winnipeg, MB R3M 2S2Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecarlo.com/
- Phone: 204-477-5544
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Executive Chef: Dave Hyde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Entire restaurant can be reserved for parties of 30-45... Some restrictions apply
- Private Party Contact: Joel Boulet 204-477-5544
A word from Cafe Carlo
Cafe Carlo is a friendly, unpretentious Canadian bistro located in Winnipeg’s Little Italy neighborhood. Cafe Carlo’s warm, comfortable atmosphere has been a staple in Winnipeg’s dining scene and continues to be considered among the city’s best restaurants since it was established in 1989. The atmosphere and the décor have evolved from the restaurant’s humble “rummage sale” chic beginnings. The owners and employees believed that a great restaurant simply was meant to be “about the food”. The passion of the very first employees and their love of food & drink remain intact to this day. We want to share the foods and beverages we love, that the world loves, with each of our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Cafe Carlo - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Cafe Carlo reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (62)special occasion (43)romantic (30)great for lunch (28)good for groups (20)notable wine list (17)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Food, Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014This is definitely a neighbourhood GEM! parking is free and always available nearby. The Food is always fresh and portions are always generous. Great for any occasionSpecial Features:
- One of the best in the city!PizzaLoverDined on 10/7/2014If you want good food, this is the place to go. Their signature dish is amazing. Homemade goodness. Great for a special occasion or birthday. Amazing deserts. Great all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightAndreainthePegDined on 10/7/2014Shared a number of plates with friends. All were delicious and everyone raved. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Carlo is worth the trip!3amigasDined on 10/7/2014My two friends and I chose Cafe Carlo for a special lunch. It was our first visit and we were extremely impressed with both the food and the atmosphere. The soup of the day and the salads were delicious, as well as friendly helpful service. We highly recommend this gem.Special Features:
- Great food , outstanding serviceSimbaDined on 10/5/2014The menu selection was fabulous, but we were also informed it's changing in a week. I see this as a sign that there are many regulars and they want them to keep coming back! The service was outstanding from door to table. The wine recommendation turned out splendid with our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and Intimate Little PlaceXtrykrDined on 10/4/2014This is a fantastic little restaurant on the corner of Corydon and Lilac. Many options for meat eaters, and a couple select dishes for vegans as well as gluten-free pasta options. It doesn't seat too many people, so it's imperative to book a reservation to ensure seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014I have eaten at Cafe Carlo many times and always enjoy it. The food is prepared in unique and thoughtful ways; always delicious. I had the Caesar salad with Prawns for lunch and the lettuce was about the crispest I have ever had... absolutely wonderful the crunch it had! My dining companion was an elderly aunt who is a bit of a complainer. When she complained her mushroom bisque was too salty, the restaurant offered her other choices and she was pleased with the salad. When she complained the omelet was too salty (it contained Feta which is a saltier cheese), they remade the omelet from scratch with cheddar cheese (even though that is not how they normally make it. The restaurant was gracious about accommodating a complaining aunt!Special Features:
- As usual --- excellent all 'round!BirthdayGirlDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant continues to serve great food in a charming atmosphere with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant time.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014There's a reason Cafe Carlo has been around for 25 years. They never have an "off" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nite outTraveller11Dined on 9/25/2014It's just what we were looking for: good food, prompt service, and a semi-private setting. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Lunch with the girlsfood4lifeDined on 9/23/2014Really enjoyed our lunch. Food was great, well presented. I go to Café Carlo a few times a year. For me, the best part is they have gluten free options, as well they take very good care of several other food allergies I have. They are so accommodating and I never feel bad about asking for special consideration. Not all restaurant takes allergies seriously. Café Carlo is fantastic.Special Features:
- first time for our anniversarytrawiDined on 9/19/2014Our evening at Cafe Carlo was amazing. The service was great, the food was excellent, one of the best meals we have ever had in a restaurant. The ambience was perfect and the prices not too high. I would definitely refer friends and family to this restaurant, and we plan on going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnowledgableHeidiDined on 9/14/2014Our server Bonnie was very knowledgable with the wines. She knew how to describe each one well. The food was superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentTeenagedFoodieDined on 9/12/2014As a teenager, I clearly see things differently than adults, but not entirely. Me and my girlfriend went out for dinner to cafe Carlos a few nights ago and u was satisfied. Now it wasn't flawless, but overall, a decent meal. We started off with the calamari, which was nice. The calamari itself wasn't special but the garlic aoli was delicious. I had the chef special (seared yellow fin tuna with a Asian coleslaw and a wild rice pilaf) and my girlfriend had the gnocchi. I really loved my fish and the rice was nice, but the slaw was slightly boring. I also tried the gnocchi (which had the creamy pesto sauce) which was really good! The meal was a bit pricey but the ambiance of the place is great and location is really great too. Keep it up guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service was very friendly and professional, but receiving our food was extremely slow. I found the lunch menu to be more of an appetizer selection than full meals. This could drive up the price point if you want to taste more than one item. Perhaps going in knowing you should share plates will be beneficial to a more positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must place to goalpatDined on 9/11/2014The service was outstanding, the food was excellent. Good specials, the waitress was knowledgeable and very attentive. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westwood foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent and the service good as well. Our daughter recommended some food choices and we were not disappointed. We will be coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Carlo continues to impressFoodieFromTheNorthDined on 9/3/2014Out of towners really appreciate the non-chain menu & local neighbourhood feel of this place. Anyone I've brought here has been impressed and left town knowing there's more to Winnipeg dining than Earl's, Joey's & The Keg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has PotentialsfandrfDined on 8/27/2014We were not greeted at the door, our service was sub par and we didn't feel like anyone would even notice if we left. The drinks we ordered were 3 oz and it would have been nice to have been given an option or at least made aware since we were driving. Soup was fantastic, salad was bland. The entrees were delicious though so if I were rating solely on that it was really good. Overall experience, unfortunately, was disappointing.
- Will return, but wasn't the bestPeggerDined on 8/23/2014Cafe Carlo is one of our favorite Winnipeg restaurants but the food on Saturday was underwhelming. Perhaps it was because our reservation was for 8:45 and the kitchen was too busy and tired (we normally go earlier in the evening) or perhaps it was just an off night, but my husband always gets the same dish - his favorite - and this time he didn't even finish it. Our guest raved about the lamb, however. The service was still great, I love the new art on the walls (jazz greats), and the wine list was still impressive. We will try it again, with fingers crossed that the food returns to the excellence we have come to expect.Special Features:
- great local restaurantasgreviewDined on 8/21/2014excellent local restaurant with charm and great neighborhood feel.Beef tenderloin made 529 wellington look bad. It was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food needs better presentationGaryCoVIPDined on 8/21/2014I like Café Carlo but I'd like to see an upgrade to the menu and to the food presentation. A higher end approach would draw me back on a regular basis. The crispy shrimp appetizer was very good. The chicken and pasta and the pickerel with mac and cheese entrees were both good but could be improved. Our server was delightful and provided great service.Special Features:
- Great executionWorldsmostinterestingmanDined on 8/19/2014The Kitchen performs very well. Very delicious, well prepared food.Special Features:
- Service simply outstandingcompletegameDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner on August 16/14 and enjoyed it immensely. My girlfriend has many serious food allergies and thus had to be very cautious as to what she eats. Our waitress Tara, was simply outstanding ensuring the food did not contain anything which would create problems. In addition she was very, very warm and professional. The food was excellent and the evening was a complete success. This was probably my 10th time at Cafe Carlos but was my girlfriends first and she was very impressed with the whole package including the ambience. We definitely would recommend to others and come again ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Nice evening we all enjoyed the food. Had no trouble having a conversation, my kids meeting my boyfriend so stressful nite, but all went well thankyou!Special Features:
- Gently satisfyingartieDined on 8/8/2014The food quality, quantity and presentation were all superb. I thoroughly enjoyed the mango chicken curry, and my wife equally enjoyed a delicious salmon dish. For lunchtime, the restaurant was quiet, easy to hold a pleasant conversation. Our foursome remarked that our host was always readily available and friendly, yet never intrusive with her presence. Somehow we've missed this little gem within 2 blocks of our home, but that's about to change. I'm booking a luncheon for this coming week, and will definitely frequent it more often in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food and Experience!achillesDined on 8/5/2014Terrific Food and Experience! I love cafe carlo, and never miss a chance to dine here. Food is outstanding and the service is quick and accurate!Special Features:
- Hidden pasta gem - for sure!ApplesDined on 8/2/2014Had heard about this restaurant years ago, but "Cafe" in the name kinda threw me off. When in search of great pasta, CC was recommended to us by a friend. What a find (so we thought)!! Positives: Scallops with the Bacon Jam is incredible; our entrees were fantastic. Less than positive: Sangria wasn't bad; not a big fan of the Creme Caramel. But definitely returning to CC in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go againMBChowhoundsDined on 8/1/2014Excellent. Had fish tacos and scallops as appetizers. The scallops had a bacon jam topping and awhite bean and leek sauce. You get a generous 6 fish tacos. The shells were homemade (in a good way). My wife is in love with the Fett Chile and I really enjoyed the salmon. If you don't like chorizo in your pasta, just ask to sub for more chicken. It seems we ordered some of the popular dishes as others had it arriving too. The sangria was excellent but at $9 a glass, I'd suggest buying the litre. The features list was a bit cryptic for the pricing of this. We didn't get to desserts as we were quite sated already. I'd suggest only ordering one appetizer to save room for dessert. The restaurant fills up quickly after 6:00.Special Features:
- Bad smell/good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Service and food were terrific for our lunch meeting. Couldn't help but notice an off-putting musty smell when entering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fett Chile is AmazingHeatherRDined on 7/19/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for birthdays or just an evening out. Great food, great wine, great ambiance, and great staff. My personal favourite is the Fett Chile or I like ordering the Fantasy and sharing with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too overpricedHjhh136Dined on 7/14/2014When you add up all the tacky add on's for a half salad to come with your entree, it's way overpriced. The quality of food is ok, not great, but you're paying for great food.
- Great service, ambience and foodnicLDined on 7/11/2014Overall a great first experience with the restaurant. Our party will absolutely recommend it to friends and family. The food specials were superb and unique and I was particularly impressed by the service. The server was very attentive, friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem!!luvthisgemDined on 7/5/2014Wow, Cafe Carlo is definitely a place to go. I had both the seafood chowder and seafood pasta. Both were outstanding. The taste was perfect and they definitely did not shy away from the different kinds of seafood. All in all, this is a perfect getaway if you really want to enjoy and experience true great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will returngr8lunchDined on 7/5/2014Enjoyed our evening out and will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!rlsreviewDined on 7/5/2014Our dinner at Café Carlo was delicious, and the service was fast and friendly. Someone was there to fill our water glasses before they were empty and our server came to check on us often enough but not too often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilbebackWilbebackDined on 6/28/2014Once again the food and service were excellent. Had a good evening at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all-around fantastic evening!Riverview1960Dined on 6/25/2014I generally find something I don't like about a restaurant. It never has everything. Either the food is good and the decor barely tolerable; or the ambience is fantastic but as a non-meat eater I resort to a grilled cheese sandwhich on each visit (i.e. Rae & Jerry's). But absolutely everything at Cafe Carlo was fantastic! Food, decor, service, noise level, even the other patrons! (No one was closing a real estate deal so loudly he could be heard by everyone at my first and last visit to Gusto Pizzeria). Special mention must be made to our server. Actually both servers! They we attentive and discreet. A perfect combination! I'll be back within the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MTCladiesDined on 6/25/2014Excellent food, service and personal attention by the owner. Thanks againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinner!Hungry4SomethingNewDined on 6/22/2014It was my first visit for dinner - amazing from start to finish - and I hear nothing but good things about lunch so that's next! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 448 reviews are from the Cafe Carlo reviews archive.