49 Grand Street
Albany, NY 12207Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecapriccio.com/
- Phone: 5184650439
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Sicilian
- Executive Chef: Nick Gulbrandsen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: On premise catering only. We have elegant accommodations for small groups, up to 16 in our Chef's Table, and for groups up to 40 in our Tuscan Room.
- Private Party Facilities: The Cafe has two wonderful private dining rooms for private events. Our Chef's Table, located on the second floor above the main restauant, can hold parties of 10-17 and is an intimate open kitchen concept room where the chef cooks in front of your guests. The room also features a private entrance and private bathrooms just for this room. Our Tuscan Room is our large private dining room that can hold parties from 16-40 guests and features a Tuscan inspired classic private room with private entrance and bathrooms. Both private rooms have wireless internet, screens and private staff. Our rooms regularly host business events and speaker presentations as well as family event, birthdays, anniversaries as well as couples dinners with friends.
- Entertainment: Walter and Julia Donnaruma perform jazz on Friday nights.
- Special Events: We offer frequent special events, such as wine dinners, holiday regional chef's meals etc as described on our web site.
A word from Cafe Capriccio
Cafe Cariccio, the region's only authentic Tuscan restaurant, has been a favorite dining destination in Albany for 30 years. The Cafe was voted Best Restaurant in the Capital District by Metroland Magazine for 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, and many times previously. Jim Rua and Franco Rua are proprietors. The Cafe is open for dinner every night. See our web site for details and photos.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Cafe Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Cafe Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (44)romantic (44)notable wine list (16)good for groups (15)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- I loved my entire experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The food and service were exceptional. One of the best dining establishments in Albany if not the best. Congrats to the management, to the chefs and to the waitstaff! I loved it from beginning to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Cafe Cappricio is one of the best restuarants in the Capitol District! Never disappoints !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Café Capriccio is our "go to" spot for nearly any occasion. If you want very good food and service with and experienced and welcoming staff along with a great atmosphere, this is a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavor all around the tablePushkinDined on 8/18/2014Delicate yet spicy warm vegetable antipasto was perfect! Thank you for a different delicious meatless choice! Puttanesca was made to order for our vegetarians and were perfect! Eggplant was sweet and sliced thinly so manageable . Servers were friendly and had excellent timing. Can't wait to return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paradise ItalianoGiuliaMarioDined on 8/17/2014This place has excellent food, ambiance and service. The minute you walk in the door you are enticed by the wonderful aromas. The menu is filled with authentic Italian choices. Also, the service is fantastic. I always enjoy a night out here. It is one of the few gems left in a restaurant scene that is increasingly filled with mediocre chains.Special Features:
- Wonderful!JenMDined on 8/14/2014I picked Cafe Capriccio to celebrate our 9th anniversary and the staff made it beyond special. The food was amazing, my boyfriend loved the Pork Osso Buco, it melted off the bone. My eggplant was perfect with wonderful hints of gorgonzola cheese. We finished with chocolate flourless cake that seems to be from heaven, and a ricotta pie that my grandmother would have approved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of a restaurantHappydinerDined on 8/13/2014We have been going to cafe capreccio for decades and have always enjoyed the wonderfully creative and well preparedTuscan delights. This restaurant maintains it's cozy comfortable atmosphere which allows for great conversation with those in your party. The management is well executed by Jennifer who insures that all are well cared for in an efficient and detail focused manner A restaurant that is by far the best in Albany!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotgoingoutDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful appetizers, pizza, and entree's. Very relaxed atmosphere and great help. Love it hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in Every WaywaitronDined on 8/5/2014Capriccio is a wonderful spot. From sparkling salad to savory pizza and uncommon appetizer ingredient pairings, everything was luscious! Service is attentive without being intrusive. Staff are well versed in menu offerings and wines and work together like a well oiled and loved machine. And our dessert was outstanding. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemWarren123Dined on 8/2/2014This restaurant offered interesting pairing of ingredients that made every bite from entree to dessert DELICIOUS! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates traditional Italian dining with unique twists! The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Italian DiningRLMJLVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had an outstanding dining experience at Cafe Capriccio from the moment we entered to when we left. The team service was excellent. They were attentive without being intrusive or overbearing. Our starters, beans and greens and the eggplant with four cheeses, were well prepared and tasty. Our main entrees were also excellent, pork osso bucco and homemade pasta pomodore. The meal was complete with a fine panna cotta for dessert. Overall, it was a wonderful dinner that was well executed. We would highly recommend dining at Cafe Capriccio and put it down on your list of "a must go".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014We were staying in Albany for the night before going to Saratoga for the races on Sunday. Not being familiar with the area, we decided to give Cafe Capriccio a try after reading reviews here and on Trip Advisor. It may not be in the greatest neighborhood, but the food is top notch. One diner had a pizza and raved about it, another homemade pasta and another risotto with shrimp. We tried the house Pinot Noir from California which was delicious, and of course the Saratoga Springs sparkling water. Our server was knowledgeable about the wine list. Wish we had room for dessert, but the meal was just too good. No left overs for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Definitely when I pulled up I wanted to drive off because of the area. But once inside it was beautiful, charming, and fancy. A bit pricy, my entree was $38 alone. But I guess that's what you expect at such a nice place. Had a live trio band (piano, bass, guitar) playing near the bar separate from the dining area. Didn't deal with just one waiter which was a bit confusing since we didnt know who to call upon to ask for things. Nonetheless, I enjoyed myself but definitely will wait and save up to come back.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, too loud service okD1672Dined on 7/31/2014Café Capriccio's food is outstanding with fresh ingredients and great presentation. It could be romantic, but with a few large groups the noise level ruins the ambience. Perhaps they would consider putting large groups or couples with children near the bar room and keeping the other room solely for couples or groups of four. We were not welcomed as we entered, but were seated promptly at a lovely booth. Our waiter was not very friendly, did not discuss the wine list on the menu nor did he check how our entrees were. They work as a team and the other servers seemed much more friendly and professional. Despite a few issues, we would definitely return since the food is excellent and perhaps our waiter just needs some additional training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LocalDined on 7/27/2014Had been wanting to try Cafe Capriccio for many years since it has acquired a reputation for excellent, authentic Italian cooking. It did not disappoint, everything from appetizer to dessert was tastefully prepared and reminded us of a meal in Tuscany. Servers are helpful, prompt, but not intrusive. I will be visiting again!Special Features:
- Romance before the showfestivespiritDined on 7/20/2014Perfect for a nice dinner before a show at the Times Union Center. Authentic Tuscan bread. Fresh el dente pasta with fresh and flavorful sauces - we tried the sausage with tomato cream sauce and the pistachio and arugula pesto - both very good!Special Features:
- One of Albany's Best!HighStandardsDined on 7/20/2014Consistently excellent quality, delicious food. Impeccable, friendly service. Cafe Capriccio is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamOVIPDined on 7/19/2014Italian in a row house right downtown Albany across the highway from the Times Union Center - they make their own pasta - a little limited on the vegetarian pastas. The one I thought I was getting as vegetarian had some sort of meat (seemed to be bacon). We had the ravioli of the day, which was really good - great red sauce. Huge salads. I went in through the chef's table upstairs - and it looked delicious - meat, roasted summer vegetables, homemade pasta, salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014I joined my daughter and a friend for dinner before the Justin Timberlake concert. We have always enjoyed dining here and really looked forward to it. However we all agreed it was just OK. We were very disappointed and wonder what changed; maybe the chef since we've been there. Not sure. Our servers were very friendly and attentive. At least the JT concert didn't disappoint. He was truly amazing!!!
- PuttanescaDublubDined on 7/11/2014Famous for the eggplant, but I liked the puttanesca. Friendly service and a jazz trio makes for a great date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014We have been to Cafe Capriccio many times before, but this Saturday night prior to the Paul McCartney concert the service was very poor. I have never felt so rushed in my life, although it was only the waitress. The supporting staff was very cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of Albany, NYjasontheslackerDined on 6/30/2014Cafe Capriccio is the best that Albany and possibly upstate New York has to offer. I have rarely eaten at a better spot in that area and if I have, it was a specialty locale (Capital City Gastropub in the early days). Albany is below average on the restaurant scene so this was a pleasant surprise. Best pasta for 50 miles. Near flawless service. Squid Ink! pasta is to die for. Really amazing dish. The fish special failed us and some of the other items (salads, etc) were uncreative but serviceable. Cheesecake was unique and pretty good. Doubt they make it in house but they source it from somewhere pretty good. Pizza is decent, but there are much better out there. All in all, best restaurant in Albany, but that isn't saying that much. A-Special Features:
- Great eveningMargieDined on 6/29/2014We always enjoy being here. Great food, great service and a wonderful ,relaxing evening both at the bar and the taqble.Special Features:
- classicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Highly professional in a big-city/classic way. Wait staff operates like a symphony-everyone contributes individually to make the whole experience a joy. They are subtle, professional and conversational while all being unobtrusive. Food up-to-date, fresh, deeply flavorful and delightful on the palate. Intimate and cozy room. Would go again--many timesSpecial Features:
- Party of 7 and a BabyBrookwolfDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant has been my go to place when I'm in Albany- Never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eatout41Dined on 6/22/2014The Beans and Green are great. We enjoyed the service and the foods great choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice in AlbanyStephenDined on 6/20/2014Old school Italian resto in Albany. Not worth a trip, but good find if you are in town. Pleasant surroundings, nice menu, very good food (and nice wine list, too).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Great homemade pasta, never disappointed with the food or service.Special Features:
- Great Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2014They were able to fit our party of 17 and service was great. Pizza delicious, we kept ordering more. Entrees were all very good. 17 very happy diners.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianSteamboat08Dined on 6/5/2014Preparations close to Tuscany . Example would be their ample Caprese salad with in house made mozzarella , fresh arugula with a little bitter bite and perfect tomatoes ... simple and spot on . Tuna , real roast potatoes and broccoli entree was excellent . Service was seamless . Live out of state but will return before I leave NYS .Special Features:
- Awesome place - NYC vibe in Albanynp22Dined on 6/5/2014Food was delicious and unique, service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingwineofcourseDined on 5/27/2014We loved it when Jim Rua did most of the cooking just as we loved the exciting menu of his brief Troy venture ( below Daisy Baker's) but this time, although the food was pretty good it was not up to his wonderful Bologna -inspired genius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningMargaretDined on 5/27/2014We had a wonderful dinner and the service was great! The Insalata Caprese, Ravioli Special, Pasta Bolognese were all perfect. Then we tried the Dolce Calzone for dessert - it was amazing.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014Had a great time with my family. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable . The food was fresh and fantastically prepared. I would highly recommend this establishment, as it was recommended to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlbanyGirlDined on 5/16/2014Cafe Capriccio never disappoints. The food is amazing. Both the atmosphere and service make you feel taken care of and indulgent, but in a totally unpretentious way. I highly recommend CC!Special Features:
- WonderfulsatisfiedDined on 5/14/2014Went there on a recommendation from a friend of mine for myself and my wife's 20th anniversary. The setting almost struck me as too small and too quiet but I can't possibly rate them less for that as the food was absolutely incredible! If you enjoy good food, this IS the place for you.Special Features:
- ExcellentGirlof5Dined on 5/13/2014I made a reservation knowing downtown would be crowded for the Springsten concert. Other times trying to get a decent meal before a concert was challenging but not at Cafe Capriccio. Our table was ready with excellent service. The food was delicious. The place was packed but we never waited to get our drinks or food. We had time to relax, have an after dinner drink and made the concert with time to spare. I was with family from out of state and they remarked on the lovely ambiance and excellent service/food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful downtown gemJRLArlingtonDined on 5/13/2014Kidnapped my husband at work, flew him from Washington DC to Albany, for dinner and the Springsteen concert - a surprise for his 60th bday. Not knowing where to eat, I turned to Yelp, Open Table & Trip Advisor-and thought this might be the kind of place I was looking for. Great Italian food but not the ordinary kind, cool atmosphere & within walking distance of the TU center. It was all that and more. The food was of a very high quality. The maitre d was delightful - didn't mind seating the four of us who got there early for drinks. After that the service was a bit more edgy - I don't know if it because they had a full house all wanting to eat and get out at the same time - or something else. However, I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingKathDined on 5/13/2014Hadn't been here in a few years and was looking forward to returning. It was a big disappointment. My dinner companions both got the veal Marsala. The Marsala sauce was too sweet, and the veal was soggy. Also, there were tomatoes in the sauce. Tomatoes in Marsala sauce just doesn't work. I got the puttanesca. The anchovies overwhelmed the olives, capers and tomatoes--it was like eating anchovies paste and nothing else. The pasta iwas overdone. The waitress who was our primary server seemed pressured--rushed us to order, and even told us we better order if we wanted to make it to the concert we were attending afterward. As a result, we were through dinner, appetizer and dessert in one hour, with time to spare. We expected more from Cafe C.
- Great Food and ServiceDennyCDined on 5/11/2014We had an absolutely delightful meal -- The Eggplant Capriccioso and Veal Scallopine were wonderful and complemented well by the Rubio Toscano wine. Service was outstanding from the time we walked in the door. Looking forward to a return visit to try other menu delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.