Cafe Bizou - Pasadena
91 N. Raymond Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91103Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cafe Bizou - Pasadena
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafebizou.com/
- Phone: 6267929923
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch:Monday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Neil Rogers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room with a capacity of 60 people maximum.
- Private Party Contact: Julio Lopez 6267929923
A word from Cafe Bizou - Pasadena
Come enjoy the Cafe Bizou experience located in Old Town Pasadena. At Cafe Bizou, we pride ourselves in providing top quality service and delicious food in a family friendly restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe Bizou - Pasadena - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Cafe Bizou - Pasadena reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (86)great for lunch (65)fit for foodies (63)romantic (62)good for groups (54)great for brunch (30)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (15)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- 1st ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Ours and our companions 1st experience with Cafe Bizou was relatively good however we had one big disappointment. The temperature in our area was extremely warm and we had let our server know we were uncomfortable. He told us he would see what he could do. As we were about to leave the restaurant we found out that the unit in our area of the restaurant was not working. I feel that Management could have done a better job by offering to move us into an area where the air was functioning normally instead of us having to endure the heat through our meal. The dining area in the next room was cool and many tables were available. The menu was extensive and our food and drinks were good.Special Features:
- awful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014The Lobster Bisque was terrible, although it did have a couple of pieces of lobster. The seafood pasta was served luke warm. I asked the waiter to have it reheated. The kitchen made a new plate that was still lukewarm, and there was no seafood in it. The dessert was OK.
- "Kelly's Komments"KellyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We ordered from the pre fixe menu and supplemented it with other appetizers as we have been doing when offered. Though the restaurant was full we did not feel pushed and the service was tight but very acceptable. As usual the $2.00 corkage is the cheery on top of the frosting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!RocketManDined on 8/26/2014If you can't get to Paris, try Cafe Bizou in Pasadena is a good alternate! The ambiance is exceptional and the food "c'est délicieuse!" Try the baked stuffed mushrooms in a rich balsalmic reduction, salade des epinards (spinach salad) and classic French dishes like steak frites, or for a lighter meal the macadamia nut crusted halibut or sautéed sandabs. Finish with an amazing apple tarte tatin or flourless chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice bistroTerryptbDined on 8/23/2014Cafe Bizou was a great first time experience. The food was good and was the service. We had a group of 8, ages ranging from 6 to 85 and everyone enjoyed the food and service. There's no kids menu so we ordered 2 regular entrees to split among our 4 kids. We enjoyed Cafe Bisou and would recommend them to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DINNER EXPERIENCEARLYPIEDined on 8/22/2014FRIDAY EVENING I ORDERED THE "DAY SPECIAL" BOUILLABAISSE. IT WAS VERY SALTY AND THE BOTH WAS THICK ALMOST LIKE CIOPPINO. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED! I LOVE BOUILLABAISSE! SO, I ORDERED MY REGULAR LOBSTER, SEA SCALLOP & SHRIMP BLACK PASTA. UNFORTUNATELY, THAT WASN'T GREAT EITHER, THERE WERE NO LOBSTER BITS OR SEA SCALLOP JUST DICED SHRIMP AND OVER COOKED PASTA. I DIDN'T WANT TO COMPLAIN AGAIN, PLUS I WAS WITH A GROUP OF FRIENDS. MAYBE THE REAL CHEF WAS ABSENT THAT NIGHT, USUALLY THAT DISH IS VERY GOOD! THE FRENCH GENTLEMAN BENOIT WAS VERY NICE AND PLEASING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beRobinDined on 8/19/2014We often go to Cafe Bizou and enjoy it. For the first time we went mid-week. We had bread that was re-served (one dried out loaf, one warm and soft.) Our waiter was inattentive and rushed. The place is in need of a good cleaning, it seems like no one is taking pride in it anymore. I would go again for sure, but NOT for the special occasion is was.
- Your Average Faux French RestaurantNozferatuVIPDined on 8/16/2014Why are French restaurants in the US so off? I don't understand really. What happens to this cuisine once it leaves the native land of France? Well...Cafe Bizou is what happens. I've been to this restaurant..both the Pasadena and Studio City/Sherman Oaks locations...and both are the same. They serve food that I can only describe as cheap French food for the masses. Why did I go more than once? Well...I know people who love this place and I can't be rude and say no I won't go. Try L'Assiete Steak Frites instead...at least it feels and tastes French. Cafe Bizou...ugh.
- One of my favoritesAllanGDined on 8/16/2014Saturday lunch was excellent. All four of us ordered from the prix fixe menu, had different things, and enjoyed them all. I've previously had dinner there many times. To summarize, you won't find a better, more reasonably priced restaurant in Old Town Pasadena, or most anywhere else.Special Features:
- My Birthday LunchWickedwitch2Dined on 8/16/2014several friends I worked with for about 40 years treated me to a belated birthday lunch at Café Bizou. We had leisurely lunch; everyone seemed to enjoy the food. I had a nice salmon salad. And, there was a lovely flourless chocolate cake with a birthday candle on top for me!! The bread was delicious.My only disappointment is the fact that none of the fish is wild caught. I realize that most restaurants don't buy wild-caught seafood, and those that do most likely charge a hefty price for it. To their credit, Café Bizou personnel know that their seafood is farm raised and are willing to admit it. For that, I was very grateful. I'm anxious to try this lovely restaurant for dinner in the near future.Special Features:
- Not that impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Food was subpar, and did not taste fresh. The ambiance is good for groups, but may be too noisy for an intimate dinner.Special Features:
- reviewVIPDined on 8/13/2014Had an enjoyable dinner. We had ordered some really tasty foods off the pre-fixe menu. Our server was good but unfortunately they had him working a big party in anther room so he did not return as much to make sure we were okay. Had to ask others from wine and bread but I could understand since he was working hard at the big party table. We had a relaxing meal since it was not very noisy at the time we went.Special Features:
- NicoleDined on 8/13/2014we took my Dad for his 90th birthday to Cafe Bizou because it is one of his favorite spots. The service was very nice and the pricing is very good. Great time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Experienceinquisitive1Dined on 8/13/2014I've eaten here many times and always enjoy that there are reasonably priced dishes with lobster. I invited my good friend for a leisurely lunch (three hours+ and no impatience shown on the part of the server). There was a 3-course prix fixe menu offered with great choices. My friend had just experienced a family trauma and said that this delicious and relaxing lunch was just what she needed to unwind from weeks of stress. Neither of us left a spec on our plates that included appetizers of chicken-stuffed mushrooms with a balsamic sauce; we both also opted for the seafood pasta with lobster, shrimp, etc. Dessert was also included, or you could opt for a glass of wine for the appetizer or dessert course -- all for $15 each!!Special Features:
- "Kelly's Komments"KellyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great value. The $2.00 corkage is an added inducement to make the 15 mile drive The sweetbreads were the best we've had here...it's a regular extra appetizer for us. The escargot and Asian pear salad were both exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DATE NIGHT 08/08JonesDADined on 8/8/2014Cafe Bizou is a local favorite. Always great service and friendly staff. Food choices and prices are tops for Pasadena.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Great place... My friend and I had the three course surf and turf special for $35. Both the steaks and lobsters were cooked perfectly. It was part of a promo that will end at the end of this August - and for that price it was a deal that can't be touched by any restaurant. This is only my third time to this restaurant, but I have never walked away disappointed. No corking fee either ever! Price vs quality of food, service and ambience it may it the best in the LA area...Special Features:
- Perfect!SoPasDinerDined on 8/5/2014I've been here several times and always enjoy the food, the servers and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT....RodsterDined on 8/2/2014We had a LOVELY time at dinner.....food and service were GREAT.....Special Features:
- We all loved it!njoyfoodDined on 8/1/2014Decided on Café Bizou for a celebratory dinner that included two young teens who are not eager to try new things. They did step a little out of their comfort zone, and the adults were able to enjoy the sand dabs and seafood pasta! Everything was delicious, and very reasonably priced. Service was great--attentive, but not rushed. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Great PriceAdam7223Dined on 7/31/2014This is my first time dining at Cafe Bizou. The restaurant is conveniently located in Pasadena. The restaurant setting is a little traditional. The food is amazingly tasty. We had a group of 6 people and we all ordered different items. Thus far, the dishes are very delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant. The pricing is very reasonable, especially with the Dine LA special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaFood4meDined on 7/31/2014I had a hard time finding the lobster and scallops in my pasta. It was suppose to be a Lobster, scallop and shrimp pasta. What are the ratios of sea food to pasta? Mostly pasta would not order again!Special Features:
- Great Lunch Atmosphere2HappyDinersDined on 7/29/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed a delicious luncheon meal. Their luncheon specials were wonderful and perfect portions. The food was great, the service was attentive & very nice/plesant and the ambience of the restaurant was exactly what our group needed for a relaxed, enjoyable meal together and being able to converse and catch-up with life's happenings. We can always count on Cafe Bizou for their great food and ambience --- allowing us to relax and escape from the rush-rush of daily life. Would recommend this lovely restaurant for get-togethers, conversations, meetings, luncheon & dinner parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Gone WrongNathanJaimeDined on 7/27/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. My wife had been wanting to try Beef Wellington for quite some time and it just so happens the Sunday Special is always Beef Wellington...perfect. We were sat at our table right away and our waiter came shortly after asking for our drink order. My wife had wine and I ordered the only beer they had on tap. I was told they were out of beer on tap...strike 1. We ordered appetizers that included shrimp and lobster ravioli. Our waiter returned and said they were out of ravioli...strike 2. We placed our dinner order and to wife's surprise they were out of the Sunday Special, Beef Wellington...strike 3. Our app. included tuna tartar and had fish scales in it! Another strike. One water glass was filthy.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014I had a great experience at Cafe Bizou Sherman Oaks last year with dineLA so thought I would try the Pasadena restaurant this year. We wnt to Cafe Bizou Pasadena my girlfriends 50th birthday celebration. We all were really disappointed in the service more than anything. I'm not sure if the service was bad because we were dineLA or if this is their norm. The food was ok. Majority of us upgraded to the steak and lobster. I received my plate and my lobster shell was empty. Yes, no lobster. The food was warm but not hot. Our water, iced tea and soft drink were not refilled unless we asked. Our server disappeared several time. I'm not sure why restaurants participate in dineLA if they are going to treat the customers differently.Special Features:
- Awesome!!FoodEDined on 7/26/2014Besides the great food & awesome service, the $2 corkage fee is a real deal 'specially in this town. We highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Great foodChewyDined on 7/26/2014The food was absolutely exceptional! For the amount of food and quality of the products the prices were amazing! Definitely going back, had a great experience. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dineslwdcwVIPDined on 7/26/2014A recent dinner was superb. The lobster bisque contained an unexpected, but delicious, quenelle. The escargot was flavorful, yet subtle, without the overwhelming garlic you encounter elsewhere. The service team was impeccable, always available. And, the prices should fit anyone's budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Went there for lunch. It was very crowded but were seated fast. The lighting is too low and I could hasrdlely read the menu. The foot ranged from average too epxcellepnt. The house wine was superb! Service was so-so, the staff was very harried.maybe hire morel people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine LA lunchRaatDined on 7/26/2014Overall experience was good, we had lobster bisque and baked mushroom for appetizer and they were good. We had fillet mignon burger , which was cooked right and still juicy, the seafood pasta on the other hand was slightly overcooked to my taste. I prefer the italian al dente style. The lobster sauce was good and not too overwhelming. To end the day, we had sorbet and tiramisu. They were good but nothing to brag about. The service was slow for a busy day and the complimentary baguette was not warm, which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Came over for lunch and the soup was cold and the food was tasteless. Very slow service, won't come back again!!!
- Nice spotimerchuDined on 7/26/2014Dine LA brought us to this cute restaurant. It was a warm day and there was issues with the AC. So it was quite a hot experience eating there. I ordered the lobster bisque and lobster pasta on the Dine LA menu. The lobster bisque tasted like tomato soup, very runny. The pasta was interesting as it had black noodles. The meal was good but lacked flavor. The flourless chocolate cake was light and tasteful.Special Features:
- OkTsthoughtsDined on 7/25/2014The whole experience was ok. The appetizers were disappointing - 2 stuffed mushrooms about one inch across is not an appetizer, but the entrees were really good. Wait staff also not great - didn't seem to have one person dedicated to table, so had to ask random staff as they went by .....
- ExcellentLynnDined on 7/25/2014We've dined here many times. Everything was great which is why we keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have gotten the pastanomzzDined on 7/24/2014My best friend and I tried Cafe Bizou as part of DineLA's Restaurant Week because it was close and we wanted to try something new-hence, French food. I had the cedar salmon and it was okay. It had a slimy texture on the bottom part of the fish that's touching the cedar plank and it didn't feel fresh. My best friend's pasta was pretty good though! She got the seafood pasta. We both had the lobster bisque, which had chunks of lobster and so was good. I enjoyed the tiramisu (cause I love desserts) and my best friend enjoyed the flourless chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat PerformanceGoldlineGuyDined on 7/24/2014We are learning our way around on the Gold Line. A couple of blocks from the Pasadena Memorial Park station, French-style Cafe Bijou has become one of our lunch destinations. There are two menus to choose from. One has a full range of fine food favorites at a decent price. We prefer the "set" menu, which is a bargain. It has some fine choices in three categories, and the option to substitute a glass of wine for one of the categories. It is the best deal for us. If you order dessert, I strongly suggest the tiramisu. The meal arrives in a timely manner, prepared to order. The service is friendly and attentive. It is a chatty and bright restaurant, perfect for meeting with friends or business associates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Use to be my favorite restaurantloveamazingfoodVIPDined on 7/23/2014Went there for Dine-LA dinner menu, had the steak and lobster and everything was great, except for the steak and flourless chocolate cake (yuck). The steak was okay, didn't have any taste to it (need more seasoning) and served almost cold. That flourless chocolate cake dessert was horrible, how could anyone eat that, it's mushy and tasteless - not worth the calories!Special Features:
- This One's a WinnerWickedwitch2Dined on 7/23/2014I treated a friend to a birthday lunch during DineLA Week When we entered the restaurant, I knew that I'd been there before. But, that when it was Café Jacoulet, a wildly-popular place that closed a few years earlier. Café Bizou is large, but also cozy, and very charming. The DineLA menu was not only VERY affordable, but full of wonderful choices. Besides that, for $15, it offered a three-course lunch, which compares very favorably with the more pricey establishments that offer only two courses for $25 or $35. I loved my sauteed mushrooms, grilled salmon with a rainbow of fresh vegetables, and tiramisu. My friend was equally happy with her Caesar salad, seafood pasta (lobster, shrimp, and more) and mango+raspberry sorbet. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoraDined on 7/23/2014Love everything about this restaurant, especially their nominal corkage fee of $2. Good value for the food and service. Who can beat that in Pasadena !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversary reviewMonicaDined on 7/22/2014To celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to try the Pasadena location. We ordered from the special menu $25 for 3 courses. First, I let the hostess know that it was our 25th wedding anniversary. There was no special treatment, or even an attempt to get us a special table. We ordered the Lobster bisque and the cups were so small, it was perceived as being very "cheap". The main dishes were very small portions. The tira misu portion was extremely small. We ate bread just because we were still hungry. Not enjoyable at all. My spinach was non-edible. There's a hold in the carpet, and the bathroom is old and dirty.