Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto
550 Stanford Shopping Center
Palo Alto, CA 94304Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nordstrom.com/
- Phone: (650) 688-2614
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 10:00 am - 11:00 am, Sunday: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Lunch & Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm, Sunday: 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto
Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto is a stylish, yet comfortable restaurant featuring a contemporary American interpretation of classic bistro cuisine. Located on the 3rd floor of the Nordstrom in Palo Alto. Cafe Bistro food is visually powerful, bold in flavor and unique to the marketplace. The menu of flavorful appetizers, colorful salads, brick oven entrees and boldly flavored sandwiches are complimented by a well-chosen selection of wine. A suggested finish to the meal would be the signature warm White Chocolate Bread Pudding.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (12)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)fit for foodies (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Friendly service, good menu.YummDined on 11/18/2014When you are looking for a pleasant place to have a quiet dinner, this is the place. The tables are not crowded together, the menu is just long enough to have good choices and the service people are friendly. A great escape from the bustle of shopping. A happy down gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceHappyVIPDined on 11/9/2014Great Restaurant with Great Food. Service is always excellent and the food is always good. My only complaint is that they no longer serve the fabulous Mango Sorbet, I hope that you will be bringing back the fantastic Mango Sorbet, because that is my favorite desert that you offer. Your pizzas are always excellent made with the freshest and finest ingredients that you can find. I highly recommend that you try the pizzas.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 11/9/2014Cafe Bistro @ Nordstrom is a terrific choice for lunch or dinner when at the Stanford Shopping Center. The menu is varied, the food is very good, and prices are reasonable. Service can be a bit slow at times, but overall my group enjoyed the Club sandwich, pepperoni & mushroom pizza, as well as the ham & cheese sandwich. The restaurant gets very crowded during lunch hours and a reservation is suggested if one wants to avoid a long wait for a table. We will return to Cafe Bistro in the near future.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 11/1/2014Cafe Bistro is an excellent choice for lunch or dinner when at the Stanford Shopping Center. The restaurant's location on Nordstrom's third floor is convenient, the food and service are very good, and prices are reasonable. My family enjoyed the crab macaroni, french dip sandwich, pepperoni/mushroom pizza, and the child's pasta with tomato sauce. Each entree was delicious as was the vanilla bean ice cream ordered for desert. We will definitely return to Cafe Bistro in the near future.Special Features:
- Very noisyJJdineDined on 10/23/2014I've eaten lunch here several times, and the food is usually good, and the service has been very good. However, this time, the service was not very good. We had to continually ask for refills on coffee and water, and in fact I never did get a water refill. Also, the restaurant is very noisy. I asked for a booth in the carpeted area against the wall, and it was less noisy than other places I've sat, but we still could barely hear each other talk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs improvementEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 10/1/2014Our waiter though friendly disappeared after dropping off our beverages. Unfortunately, he forgot to bring the teaspoon. Since it was a quiet week night, no staff was minding the dining patrons. So we ended up not getting our teaspoon until 3/4 way through the meal. Experience like this encourages me not to tip though I am sympathetic to that fact the staff counts on tips as a substantial part of their income. But if you ever been to Japan where they pride themselves on hospitality and service without tip, then you wonder why we reward non-performance here in USA.
- Mom-Daughter Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014My mom (who's 80) and I often have lunch at Cafe Bistro on a Sunday afternoon and then wander around Stanford Shopping Center. The service and food are always great. It can get a little noisy as there are lots of families dining here, too (it's located on the top floor of Nordstrom) but I've never found it to be a problem.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 9/13/2014Cafe Bistro is a great choice for lunch or dinner when near the Stanford Shopping Center. The menu is varied, and the food & service are both very good. Prices are also reasonable. My family enjoyed the Club sandwich, pepperoni pizza, and child's chicken sandwich. Cafe Bistro is frequently very crowded and it is best to have a reservation if one does not want to wait for a table to become available.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 9/5/2014Cafe Bistro is a terrific choice for lunch or dinner when at the Stanford Shopping Center. The varied menu has numerous entrees that are very good, and the service is attentive. Reservations are suggested, as this is a popular place for dining and is rated Nordstrom's #1 restaurant in the USA.Special Features:
- Great choice!eatoutoftenDined on 8/28/2014Out of towners, meeting a friend. At her suggestion, we made a reservation here. Wonderful selections for lunch. Great service. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Cafe Bistro offers a number of delicious lunch entrees at a reasonable price. The boneless chicken with fries, chicken Caesar salad, chicken Club, and grilled chicken sandwich were all excellent as was the service. The restaurant is usually crowded and it is advisable to have a reservation. Cafe Bistro is a good choice for lunch or dinner whenever shopping at the Stanford Shopping Center.Special Features:
- TherineDined on 8/8/2014As always, Cafe Bistro did not disappoint! This was the second visit in a week. It is a great place to meet girl friends for lunch. Although it can be very popular around lunch time, making reservations through Open Table always makes it easy to get in. With reservations, we are seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieeatwellDined on 8/5/2014The food is good and the ambience is pleasant for a hot night when you don't want to cook, and want a nice glass of wine with dinner. The evening servers lack experience and training. Lunch servers are much better trained in every sense of the word. It was a quiet night and service was inadequate, but pleasant and nice. For a very quiet night, we should not have to look for the server for ketchup, which never arrived with fr fries. Food was "tossed" on the table after the appetizer without clearing the table of the empty appetizer plates, for example. The server left the table before I could ask for another glass of wine! If they weren't such nice kids, we would have told the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Nordstrom'sGourmetTravelerDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I recently enjoyed lunch at Nordstrom's Cafe. Although tucked away on the 3rd floor, the restaurant was quite busy. The reservation through Open Table gave us an on time seating in a very desirable location. There was background sound, but we were easily able to carry on a conversation during lunch. The service was very good and the food was tasty. I look forward to returning there -- either as a primary lunch stop or as a restful respite during shopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing entreesStaceyVIPDined on 8/4/2014Went for lunch with my son on a Monday. Many of our favorite dishes (French dip, herb breast chicken, ahi tuna tartare, tomato soup, who knows what else))were not available. Disappointed. Waiter apologetic but non chalant which leads me to believe this happens a bit. Not likely to go back again anytime soon.Special Features:
- Smoke and case of missing chocolateEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 8/2/2014Been enjoying the sandwiches and salads from Nordstrom Cafe for many a times. Sometimes when they get busy, I noticed there is a heavy kitchen grease smell so one could leave the cafe with the odor on their clothes. That suggests the need for heavier duty exhaust vents (or maintenacne work). Also, shrimps need to be deveined. Sometimes the prep folks don't get it all out which is a turn off. Last, sometimes the server forgets to bring the little mint chocolate sticks even they they are not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TherineDined on 8/1/2014Always a great place to have lunch with a girlfriend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Café Bistro - Nordstrom Palo Alto reviews archive.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 7/18/2014Cafe Bistro at Nordstrom is an excellent choice for lunch while shopping at the Stanford Shopping Center. The menu is varied and all items I have ordered have been most tasty. My family enjoyed the crab bisque, angel hair pasta with chicken, and ham and cheese sandwich as well as the fries served with the sandwich. As service was adequate and prices reasonable, we will definitely dine at Cafe Bistro again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much salt and no splittinglynnieVIPDined on 7/17/2014We ordered the lentil soup and it was so salty it was horrible. This has happened before so if we go back we can never order soup again even though the waitperson said they make it to order. If that is so then we will order it with no salt. Also, they refuse to split you order.Special Features:
- Great serviceNC94401VIPDined on 7/10/2014Had requested a booth - but they gave us a 4 top table instead. There were several empty booths , but the host said 'they're for reservations '. I told him I have a reservation -- but he told me we had to sit 'here'-- the 4 top. Evelardo (?sp)-- is always a delightful server !Special Features:
- I love this plceRedKateDined on 5/25/2014This is now my first choice go to spot - always great food and great service.Special Features:
- Great food, Great ServiceHappyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Great Food never disappointed with the quality of the food. Also a great mall stop when you are shopping, or just meeting someone for lunch and a glass of wine. Service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. Pizza is still one of the best pizzas around for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUNCH AT cafe BistrofoodloverVIPDined on 5/23/2014The Chinese chicken salad was delicious - best ever! The dressing perfect, the chicken tender as possible. Only criticism - short on the wonton noodles for crunch. Found it surprising, that they only serve coffee plain, no cappuccino or lattes. The service - we got our lunches quickly, but after that the waitress, a young woman with a braid, only showed up to hurry us along. She kept trying to take our bowls from us, before we had finished, and there were many empty tables. My guest wanted to say something sharp to her, but didn't. Our server didn't choose to hear us, when we needed something, but one of the eager young men helped us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceRedKateDined on 5/11/2014I love this restaurant, they try to please and get you a table that is suitable for your needs. I celebrated my birthday there and Mothers day. It is a charming place with great food and wonderful people to attend to your every need. I always recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceMazadiVIPDined on 5/11/2014I've eaten here a few times and it's usually good and good service. This review, however, is specific to my last meal there. We sat for 15 minutes before anyone came, another 10 before we got any water and 30 to get our food. We never got refills on our drinks and couldn't even find anyone to ask. Our appetizers were served with our meal, but they said they would take them off the bill. To get our check I had actually get up and find someone to get our waiter. He brought the wrong check, then brought our check but hadn't taken the appetizers off. We finally got the bill taken care of and left, an hour and 45 minutes after sitting. I hopethis was a glitch because I like it here but this was very un-Nordstrom like. The food itself was fine.
- Great SpecialsloveitVIPDined on 5/6/2014I enjoyed the special salad. It was unique to anything that I have ever tasted. Very delicious, I loved the flavors of the vinegrette with the asparagus and artichoke hearts.Special Features:
- Good food at the mall!PAMomDined on 5/2/2014The service was a little spotty, but mostly a result of miscommunication. We got the pear and goat cheese salad (good), crab mac n cheese (very good) , calamari (excellent!), and french onion soup (good). There were a lot of kids around, but this did not seem to affect the noise level too much. We will return, as this is a convenient and kid-friendly location!Special Features:
- Over cooked chicken sandwichFood2eatVIPDined on 4/8/2014My wife ordered the chicken sandwich and the chicken was like eating a rock not happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always gives shopping a liftNotHard2PleaseVIPDined on 4/4/2014It's always a pleasure to shop at Stanford Center and then dine at Cafe Bistro. A relaxing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Bistro is an excellentEDWARDVIPDined on 3/29/2014Cafe Bistro is an excellent choice for a meal while shopping at the Stanford Shopping Center. Both the food and service are very good and prices are reasonable. My family and I enjoyed the Club Sandwich, chicken Caesar salad, and Warm Asian Chicken salad entrees. Reservations are usually needed if one does not want to wait 20 or more minutes for a table, but Cafe Bistro is worth the wait.Special Features:
- Pound-for-Pound champ!FraserDined on 3/22/2014We love the Nordstrom Café. Really well cooked food, reasonable prices and a great environment!Special Features:
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/19/2014I have had lunch here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is always tasteful. The waiters are incredibly friendly and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Bistro at Nordstrom isEDWARDVIPDined on 3/14/2014Cafe Bistro at Nordstrom is an excellent choice for lunch while shopping at Stanford Shopping Center. The menu is varied and each of the appetizers and entrees my party ordered were very tasty. The service was attentive and the waitress had no problem with my Mom ordering off of the child's menu. Prices are reasonable and I will definitely return to Cafe Bistro. It would be nice however if management did not allow baby strollers the size of aircraft carriers to be parked inside the restaurant. It was impossible for my Mom to get to our booth as her walker would not fit down any of the aisle ways to the back of the restaurant due to four or more of these over-sized strollers scattered about the dining tables.Special Features:
- Nordstrom scores!donnasdealsVIPDined on 3/7/2014Nordstrom at Stanford Mall has moved it's cafe and made it more upscale. This is a nice place for lunch with a friend, but it is noisy and busy. Their previous cafe was less pricey with more typical lunch fare but the food here was very good.Special Features:
- Great breakOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 3/1/2014I love the Nordstrom sit down restaurant. It's a great break from shopping and the menu is a good selection of salads, sandwiches and heavier entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered food to go in additionOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/21/2014Ordered food to go in addition to dining there. Server reported to me that they were boxing up my to-go order and it would be out right away. There it sat on the counter for a long while.... getting cold. Pay attention, servers!!!!! Also, they did not check me in for my opentable reservation, but instead, 3 hours after I checked in and dined, cancelled my reservation. Seem to need some training for staff there.
- Surprising misstep by the BistroDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Ordered a filet mignon. Dish served was a rolled beef tenderloin, blackened edges on the outward facing side, completely raw (not rare) on the inward facing side. Second attempt was actually a proper cut this time, but still raw in the middle. The server (who was trying her best with what she had to work with) stated that, upon complaint to the cook, the cook replied to the server, "It's not like it's your birthday." Really? Only reason the rating is as high as 2 stars is because the server was trying so hard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/1/2014I have usually loved the Nordstrom cafe, here and in Valley Fair. I am not happy in giving this review as I know that the Nordstrom branding people strive for so much more than what we experienced. Service was slow, some of our food came to the table cold (they replaced it, no questions asked) and forgot an appetizer we had asked for. They took it off the bill but it proved she heard us order it and then never placed it with the kitchen staff. Waiter never came back to ask about our food. It was not a busy evening, quite slow in fact, so I'm not sure why we had such a poor experience. I would go back since the remainder of our food was very good. I just hope this isn't a pattern, and we just hit the cafe on a bad night.
- Take a break from shoppingGordonVIPDined on 1/31/2014Nordstrom's Cafe Bistro on the 3rd floor of their Stanford Shopping Center location is a pleasant place for dinner, with a wide selection of cuisine, tastefully done and presented. The Crab Louie was delicious but a small plate for the price. The chicken dishes were more generous and also very good. Dining in the evening provides a quiet place to enjoy a conversation over dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the Nordstrom CafeFraserDined on 1/25/2014My wife/daughter/I have been to the Nordstrom Café many times. I refer to it - only half in jest - as "the best restaurant in Palo Alto". The food is excellent, and very reasonably priced. Crab Bisque - epic. The service and environment is always kid-friendly, while having the quiet ambience of a good restaurant. Love it. Recommended to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.