1924 S State Street
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafebionda.com/
- Phone: 3123269800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Mon-Thurs
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm Fri & Sat
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Any item featured on the menu can be done family style for catering events.
Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 40. Holds up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: South Loop Location 3123269800x
- Entertainment: Both fully stocked mahogany bars offer flat screen TVs which televise
the days sporting events. However, the dining rooms offer a more intimate
setting with classic Italian music and dimly lit tables.
- Special Events: COMING VERY SOON........ New Private Party Room Available to host your next Party!!! Featuring a 70 inch Hi Definition Projection TV Screen that includes an elaborate sound system - Ideal for all conferences / business meetings that require projection or visual viewing! Great for Birthday Celebrations, Graduations, Baptisms, Memorial Luncheons, Business functions as well as any other special event. Please contact us for further details!!!
A word from Café Bionda
Step into the old country of Italy through Café Bionda (“blonde woman” in Italian). Café Bionda offers authentic old world Italian recipes. Every dish is cooked and seasoned to perfection. Bionda features a large selection of liquor, including a signature martini list, and a vast array of both red and white wines. Come in and enjoy amazing food and a fun atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bionda reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (15)great for lunch (13)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Enjoy the food, prepare to shoutRettoreDined on 8/23/2014The orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rapini, a wonderfully spicy pasta dish, made our visit worthwhile. This neighborhood place is very noisy. The seating and service can be a bit flustered on a busy Saturday evening. Come, though, for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A suitable casual dining experienceNSearchBestCalamariDined on 8/22/2014Grilled calamari had great flavor, but found it a bit chewy. The main courses were good, but not exceptional character that would set them apart and call us back as a need-be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodGMG14Dined on 8/18/2014This is close to home for me and I go here specifically for the fried zucchini appetizer (the dipping sauce is delish!) and the chicken Milanese with arugula salad. I've had this dish many places and no one makes it quite like Bionda does. I also really like the marinara sauce they put on the tables for bread dipping, which is a nice change from the standard olive oil and parmesean. I would also recommend their vodka sauce and the stuffed shells are fantastic if you're looking for a pasta dish.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening SpecialCindyFDined on 8/17/2014Had a wonderful dinner with an out-of-town guest. The Bacon-Crusted Pork Chop special was phenomenal. Really enjoyed the dish. I normally take half my food home to enjoy later; however, this was so good, I couldn't stop eating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Our friend, Mark King, highly recommended Cafe Bionda. We have eaten there a few times and had a great meal and great service. On this past Saturday we had a group of 6 and had a great dinner. We specifically requested Guy as our server and he did a fantastic job. We appreciate the recommendations that he made. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just VisitingPBiondaDined on 8/14/2014Planning our trip to Chicago we discovered this restaurant with the same name as our last name, obviously we had to check it out. We were very impressed by the entire experience, right from the friendly staff greeting us at the front door right up until the time we left. The waiter was able to recommend a great wine based on our likes. We were even able to order an entree that wasn't normally on the menu, which my wife says was the best Zuppa de Mare she's ever ate. A wonderful experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KdaddycrawfishDined on 8/3/2014Appetizer and salad were great, my wife and I disappointed with the pasta entrees. I think they left out garlic and salt. We never season our food but had to in this case.Special Features:
- OverchargedNot2happyDined on 8/3/2014My bill was extremely high, could understand why since we did not drink. Took a closer look and realized we were overcharged on 3 items and charged for 2 items we didn't orderSpecial Features:
- Business Lunch VenueMcCormickLunchGetawayDined on 7/29/2014Lunch venue for 1.5 hour business meeting. Greeted at the door immediately, table was ready. Our server introduced herself, reviewed the daily specials. When asked, she gave personal preferences on a few of the lunch items. Her recommendations were spot on. She regularly filled our beverages without being intrusive and was very positive, high energy without being over the top. Salmon salad and tilapia were great. Good spot for a biz lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, poor servicefoodeaterDined on 7/26/2014I have been here several times and the food is really good but the service the last time we went was AWFUL. I've never seen a less attentive waiter. We saw him once after waiting 15 minutes after we sat down to order food and then when he gave us the bill. Very disappointed in the service.
- Horrible service, average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014We used to love this place and were very excited to go back after a few years away. Unfortunately, after being seated, it took more than 25 minutes for anyone to come by to take our drink order (after we had to go get them). The food is expensive for the area, and, given the ambiance (noisy) and service (poor), I will be taking my money elsewhere in the future.
- GaryVIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is good for both lunch (business) and dinner. It has consistently good food and service. Wait staff is very friendly. I really enjoy dining at the bar and that is encouraged.Special Features:
- Known quantityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014A known quantity near out home. We have had the same server for the last 6 years and she is always pleasant. The food has changed very little over that period and we like the consistent preparation. I had the salmon with lemon sauce and capers. Will add it to my rotation. Always looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in South LoopfoodloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Amazing Italian food. We started with the stuffed banana peppers which was so unique and delicious, then we split bacon wrapped scallops and pasta with vodka sauce. Everything was so good! I can hardly wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just keep coming back.PromoBirdDined on 6/28/2014How many restaurants are there in Chicago? I know! Yet with nearly every trip to the city, we need to return to this gem. Great food. Great people. the fresh bread served with a marinara starts the evening off right. We've yet to find a restaurant that can match their Chicken Marsala. We've tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LabtechDined on 6/20/2014This is my 3rd time at Biondas. I am sure to return. As always, the food and service were excellent. I highly recommend the polenta, Bionda salad, meatballs and everything on the menu. Our meal and service have always been the best.Special Features:
- 5stargirlVIPDined on 6/6/2014Another great meal at a neighborhood favorite! Excellent service and terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet, noisyDRdiningoutVIPDined on 6/6/2014We were three couples, cousins who had not been together for a while. We were mainly interested in each other and a pleasant but not super costly meal. The noise level made it hard to compete to be heard. That said, the staff were eager to please, the portions generous, and the food quite tasty. I thought my rigatone Genovesa and my cousin's Chicken limone were very good but not excellent. My wife's eggplant Parmesan was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terrible. Loud customerWeCanEatDined on 6/6/2014Waiter barely even slowed down when visiting our table. One entree we ordered was cold. Loud customer holding court who was allowed to yell, clap his hands and swear. We won't be returning.
- Delicious FoodWinggirlDined on 5/12/2014We ordered a delicious eggplant appetizer and it didn't disappoint. My meal was good portioned and tasty. My date had eggplant parm which was a bit thin and loaded with too much mozzarella cheese. Ambience was nice, too dim, but a bit mixed up with huge tv's showing sports. They should pick a theme --sports or romantic--or separate the two parts of the resturant. I didn't care for the fact that the busser kept coming back to our table for any finished dishes he could pick up. The place was pretty empty so he didn't need a table bad. It was disruptive for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business lunch place.Hippykid64Dined on 5/12/2014I don't often complete OpenTable reviews, because they make comments mandatory; I would be more open to reviewing, if the comments were voluntary and I could skip, when everything that I have already checked, speaks adequately for the place I frequented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We went to Bionda on Mother's Day. Our table was available at our reservation time with no waiting. We had a party of 5 and everyone loved the food especially my Mom who just loved the veal dish she ordered. The appetizers we ordered were all excellent. Love the fried calamari and those meatballs are the best! Everyone really enjoyed the dessert platter of tiramisu and cannoli that was brought out at the end as well. Will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:
- Good Solid Neighborgood ItalianNotATourist2010VIPDined on 5/10/2014Café Bionda is a good neighborhood Italian spot. The owner and staff are very friendly and the food is good. I like some things more than others which is why I rate the food as good. The food is consistent so I know what I am getting when I order; which is a good thing. Love the Orecchiette with sausage and the peppers and sausage, particularly the banana peppers stuffed with sausage are very good. Mu husband likes the brick chicken. The mussels are good as is the grouper when it is served. The scallop dishes are very good. The wine list is good and also the cocktails. Some pasta dishes drown is sauce or oil. I would and have recommended to others and go there frequently. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 515 reviews are from the Café Bionda reviews archive.
- Very nice Italian spotsshapirVIPDined on 4/29/2014I like this restaurant better than other Italian options in the South Loop. Their tomato sauce is excellent and the basics are quite good. The house salad was perfectly dressed and delicious. I am not fond of the bar feel, but the wait staff is properly attentive and the dining room is sufficiently separate.
- Biondaful!ChipaverVIPDined on 4/26/2014Excellent all the way around. The north bar room was as nice spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/24/2014As always, Café Bionda never disappoints! Our server Lisa was awesome (as usual). This was my friend's first time here and she loved it!!!Special Features:
- Out of Town GuestShortoneVIPDined on 4/23/2014We came here for dinner on a Wednesday night with an out of town guest and it was amazing. The service was excellent and the food was simply delicious. We had a great dinner and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/22/2014Love Bionda - have been going there for years. Am starting to notice that the portions are shrinking and the prices are going up. Hopefully, this won't continue. It's a great neighborhood spot, and would hate for it to deter locals who frequent from dining there.
- Great Neighborhood Place5stargirlVIPDined on 4/18/2014Another great meal at what has become our South Loop favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- My fav placeKelllyDined on 4/18/2014Food is great! My only problem was the overhead music. They used to play Sinatra and other Italian themed music which added to the experience. They were playing pop hits and even the Frozen theme song which was very odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the grilled calamariOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/14/2014I'm not a huge fan of calamari, but this was the most outstanding ever. Two thumbs up.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseWiseashVIPDined on 4/12/2014Our main goal was to find something reasonably close to our hotel that was not too demanding of either our budget or our palate. What we got at Cafe Bionda was a very pleasant meal of italian comfort food. Portions were generous and well prepared. The service was attentive, friendly and responsive to requests. The ambience, while not particularly memorable, was comfortable and inviting. Definitely a place we'd return to given the opportunity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific restaurant. Outstanding5stargirlVIPDined on 4/2/2014Terrific restaurant. Outstanding food and service. We will be going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything about our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2014Everything about our dinner was delectable. Love this place! Never let down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- every year, i take my soncrisDined on 3/15/2014every year, i take my son and his wife out for their birthdays and we have been going to cafe bionda for this special event for the past 5-6 years. last saturday, we went again to celebrate, but this time brought another little person, 10-month old daughter of my son and his wife, and we celebrated not only the birthdays, but her first bionda birthday bash. our server could not have been better! we had a wonderful time with wonderful food and wonderful people.Special Features:
- The best Italian in ChicagoRobinVIPDined on 3/14/2014Whenever I'm in town I always make a reservation (or two) here. The staff is friendly, the food is amazing and it never disappoints. The eggplant parm is my favorite, but never had a bad dish here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Guy is a talented courtious passionate server and made our first dinning experience greatSpecial Features:
- Cafe BiondaKakkVIPDined on 3/1/2014The food was fabulous! I ordered the nana's gravy. YUM! One of my friends had pasta with vodka sauce and added crumbed sausage - also very yum. Another friend ordered the lemon chicken. That was kind of odd. It was more like chicken vesuvio. She wasn't that thrilled. I would go back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave it a Try!KnitterVIPDined on 2/24/2014We thought we give this restaurant a try and in the end, will probably not return. The food was good, but not great. Our server was accommodating and pleasant, but not very knowledgeable. When I asked about an item, she would say, "Ooh, yes, you must try it, and then push for us to order the grilled calamari." The bread with the red sauce was nice and the cannoli decent. I had the veal braciole and was told it was just like the saltimbocca. I always thought that saltimbocca was made with a white wine sauce, but not so here. My husband ordered linguine with clams. The whole bowl was filled with Manila clams; the sauce was more like soup.
- Great food, great wine. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Great food, great wine. This time they were so crowded that we felt a little rushed, like they fed us and we had to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.