1924 S State Street
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafebionda.com/
- Phone: (312) 326-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Mon-Thurs
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm Fri & Sat
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Any item featured on the menu can be done family style for catering events.
Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 40. Holds up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: South Loop Location 3123269800x
- Entertainment: Both fully stocked mahogany bars offer flat screen TVs which televise
the days sporting events. However, the dining rooms offer a more intimate
setting with classic Italian music and dimly lit tables.
- Special Events: COMING VERY SOON........ New Private Party Room Available to host your next Party!!! Featuring a 70 inch Hi Definition Projection TV Screen that includes an elaborate sound system - Ideal for all conferences / business meetings that require projection or visual viewing! Great for Birthday Celebrations, Graduations, Baptisms, Memorial Luncheons, Business functions as well as any other special event. Please contact us for further details!!!
A word from Café Bionda
Step into the old country of Italy through Café Bionda (“blonde woman” in Italian). Café Bionda offers authentic old world Italian recipes. Every dish is cooked and seasoned to perfection. Bionda features a large selection of liquor, including a signature martini list, and a vast array of both red and white wines. Come in and enjoy amazing food and a fun atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bionda reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (13)special occasion (12)great for lunch (11)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- hapE2eathapE2eatDined on 11/22/2014our waiter Guy was very attentive to our needs,he makes you feel as if you are the only people he has to wait on even thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dinner after the Bears gameEvanstonianDined on 11/16/2014Café Bionda was just what we were looking for. A hearty Italian meal in a casual room. Our party of four was seated by the window as we requested. Nice wine list and very attentive service. We all had pasta with a main entre and all dished were served promptly. We will return after the next Bears win....We hope this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AskEv3AskEv3Dined on 11/9/2014This is the best Italian Restaurant in the City! I love the food, the staff is so helpful & accommodating I tell everyone about it! Always Consistent... It's just just far, since it's located in her South Loop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best gnocchi everSusanmareiDined on 10/31/2014I've had a lot of gnocchi over the years and Cafe Bionda has the best ever. Great salads and the spinach was fantastic. Highly recommend the Montepulciano by the glass. (The bottle may be good too, just haven't had it.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMmaureenVIPDined on 10/26/2014Cafe Bionda is a wonderful South Loop restaurant. The menu is extensive with fish, pasta, and meat specials. Don't miss the Bionda salad - perfect for sharing. The wine list is extensive and the dessert is terrific. If you have not been to Cafe Bionda lately, they have expanded the space, making it a very comfortable dining space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/24/2014I eat here regularly and the food is always outstanding. Service can have lapses, tho.Special Features:
- Very unpleasant evening experienceJeromeVIPDined on 10/24/2014The two receptionist didn't even bother acknowledging that we have a reservation.I have requested for a table in the front area of the restaurant,however,eager to seat us right away,we were told that all the tables in the front area were only to seat 4 diners and therefore have nothing to offer(about 8-10 tables were empty-without any diner).The older receptionist was quick to push us into the farthest area close to the kitchen.You can hear all the noises and even see someone hauling out a garbage bin where we are. Our server was inattentive that we had to wait so many times just to order several drinks, food, and the cheque.As we were leaving,I passed by the front area and saw a couple of 2-diner tables.I'd rate it with 1/2star if I can.
- They pay attentionleah6VIPDined on 10/18/2014HI I requested a quiet table. They remembered. We were placed in a corner table. We had a romantic dinner on Sweetest Day.Special Features:
- Delicious ItalianCherylBDined on 10/4/2014The food was delicious. We weren't even finished with our appetizers when the meals came out! All the food was incredible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014Though our waiter was probably not always a waiter, he was pleasant and what he lacked in knowledge, the team made up for in assistance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italianlove2eatVIPDined on 9/28/2014From the arugula salad to Nanna's Gravy to the tiramisu, Cafe Bionda is great, classic Italian food. The marinara is top notch and makes any dish that uses it sing.Special Features:
- Great all round spotFoodBossDined on 9/27/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. Authentic Italian food!Special Features:
- Chris315Dined on 9/26/2014Great food and service! Will definitely go back! We were looking for Italian restaurant and boy did we find it! Would definitely recommend this place to anyone that asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic ItalianJenwomonVIPDined on 9/21/2014I lived in Little Italy for years, and this is how the food used to taste on Taylor Street. Cafe Bionda is where I go when I want a perfect red sauce or garlicy chicken. The service is friendly and helpful. The owners visit the tables and seem to know half the customers by name. The gnocci with sausage and tomato cream sauce is a perfect cold weather meal. The brick over chicken is a huge portion - you know you'll have some left over for lunch tomorrow.Special Features:
- Just like homeDinermeisterVIPDined on 9/20/2014Another wonderful dinner at Cafe Bionda! The brick chicken is OUT of this WORLD! And the hosts always so welcoming. You feel right at home from the moment you walk in. Consistently great food and service.Special Features:
- Great old Italian recipes that workFoodmavenDined on 9/16/2014The food and service was excellent until our waitress began taking care of two large tables. We did get our check in due time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe BiondaHealsDined on 9/11/2014A favorite spot. Great service, always. Food is delicious. I asked for shrimp diavolo, which was not on the menu, and they made it for me. It was outstanding. My husband had the gnocchi with sausage and mushrooms and loved it. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is wonderfulStillcantseeDined on 9/6/2014The food is just so good-servers are helpful and athomsphere is delightful!Special Features:
- Expanded!!! More room!!SueskierDined on 9/5/2014Expanded since I was last here! Fabulous food!!!! Sautéed calamari to die for!!!a bit loud - hard to hear. But worth every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neensmuccianti1001Dined on 9/5/2014Very LOUD, too loud. They were so busy it took 20 mins before a waitress came over to our table. Dining experience was too long, maybe they are under staffed? Or just too busy on a Friday night. Waitress was nice. The table was wobbly but the busboy took care of that right away. He noticed it and corrected it before I made mention to him about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy the food, prepare to shoutRettoreDined on 8/23/2014The orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rapini, a wonderfully spicy pasta dish, made our visit worthwhile. This neighborhood place is very noisy. The seating and service can be a bit flustered on a busy Saturday evening. Come, though, for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A suitable casual dining experienceNSearchBestCalamariDined on 8/22/2014Grilled calamari had great flavor, but found it a bit chewy. The main courses were good, but not exceptional character that would set them apart and call us back as a need-be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodGMG14VIPDined on 8/18/2014This is close to home for me and I go here specifically for the fried zucchini appetizer (the dipping sauce is delish!) and the chicken Milanese with arugula salad. I've had this dish many places and no one makes it quite like Bionda does. I also really like the marinara sauce they put on the tables for bread dipping, which is a nice change from the standard olive oil and parmesean. I would also recommend their vodka sauce and the stuffed shells are fantastic if you're looking for a pasta dish.Special Features:
- Sunday Evening SpecialCindyFDined on 8/17/2014Had a wonderful dinner with an out-of-town guest. The Bacon-Crusted Pork Chop special was phenomenal. Really enjoyed the dish. I normally take half my food home to enjoy later; however, this was so good, I couldn't stop eating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Our friend, Mark King, highly recommended Cafe Bionda. We have eaten there a few times and had a great meal and great service. On this past Saturday we had a group of 6 and had a great dinner. We specifically requested Guy as our server and he did a fantastic job. We appreciate the recommendations that he made. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just VisitingPBiondaDined on 8/14/2014Planning our trip to Chicago we discovered this restaurant with the same name as our last name, obviously we had to check it out. We were very impressed by the entire experience, right from the friendly staff greeting us at the front door right up until the time we left. The waiter was able to recommend a great wine based on our likes. We were even able to order an entree that wasn't normally on the menu, which my wife says was the best Zuppa de Mare she's ever ate. A wonderful experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KdaddycrawfishDined on 8/3/2014Appetizer and salad were great, my wife and I disappointed with the pasta entrees. I think they left out garlic and salt. We never season our food but had to in this case.Special Features:
- OverchargedNot2happyDined on 8/3/2014My bill was extremely high, could understand why since we did not drink. Took a closer look and realized we were overcharged on 3 items and charged for 2 items we didn't orderSpecial Features:
- Business Lunch VenueMcCormickLunchGetawayDined on 7/29/2014Lunch venue for 1.5 hour business meeting. Greeted at the door immediately, table was ready. Our server introduced herself, reviewed the daily specials. When asked, she gave personal preferences on a few of the lunch items. Her recommendations were spot on. She regularly filled our beverages without being intrusive and was very positive, high energy without being over the top. Salmon salad and tilapia were great. Good spot for a biz lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 529 reviews are from the Café Bionda reviews archive.
- great food, poor servicefoodeaterDined on 7/26/2014I have been here several times and the food is really good but the service the last time we went was AWFUL. I've never seen a less attentive waiter. We saw him once after waiting 15 minutes after we sat down to order food and then when he gave us the bill. Very disappointed in the service.
- Horrible service, average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014We used to love this place and were very excited to go back after a few years away. Unfortunately, after being seated, it took more than 25 minutes for anyone to come by to take our drink order (after we had to go get them). The food is expensive for the area, and, given the ambiance (noisy) and service (poor), I will be taking my money elsewhere in the future.
- GaryVIPDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant is good for both lunch (business) and dinner. It has consistently good food and service. Wait staff is very friendly. I really enjoy dining at the bar and that is encouraged.Special Features:
- Known quantityOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2014A known quantity near out home. We have had the same server for the last 6 years and she is always pleasant. The food has changed very little over that period and we like the consistent preparation. I had the salmon with lemon sauce and capers. Will add it to my rotation. Always looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in South LoopfoodloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Amazing Italian food. We started with the stuffed banana peppers which was so unique and delicious, then we split bacon wrapped scallops and pasta with vodka sauce. Everything was so good! I can hardly wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just keep coming back.PromoBirdDined on 6/28/2014How many restaurants are there in Chicago? I know! Yet with nearly every trip to the city, we need to return to this gem. Great food. Great people. the fresh bread served with a marinara starts the evening off right. We've yet to find a restaurant that can match their Chicken Marsala. We've tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LabtechDined on 6/20/2014This is my 3rd time at Biondas. I am sure to return. As always, the food and service were excellent. I highly recommend the polenta, Bionda salad, meatballs and everything on the menu. Our meal and service have always been the best.Special Features:
- 5stargirlVIPDined on 6/6/2014Another great meal at a neighborhood favorite! Excellent service and terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet, noisyDRdiningoutVIPDined on 6/6/2014We were three couples, cousins who had not been together for a while. We were mainly interested in each other and a pleasant but not super costly meal. The noise level made it hard to compete to be heard. That said, the staff were eager to please, the portions generous, and the food quite tasty. I thought my rigatone Genovesa and my cousin's Chicken limone were very good but not excellent. My wife's eggplant Parmesan was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terrible. Loud customerWeCanEatDined on 6/6/2014Waiter barely even slowed down when visiting our table. One entree we ordered was cold. Loud customer holding court who was allowed to yell, clap his hands and swear. We won't be returning.
- Delicious FoodWinggirlDined on 5/12/2014We ordered a delicious eggplant appetizer and it didn't disappoint. My meal was good portioned and tasty. My date had eggplant parm which was a bit thin and loaded with too much mozzarella cheese. Ambience was nice, too dim, but a bit mixed up with huge tv's showing sports. They should pick a theme --sports or romantic--or separate the two parts of the resturant. I didn't care for the fact that the busser kept coming back to our table for any finished dishes he could pick up. The place was pretty empty so he didn't need a table bad. It was disruptive for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.