1924 S State Street
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafebionda.com/
- Phone: (312) 326-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Mon-Thurs
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm Fri & Sat
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Any item featured on the menu can be done family style for catering events.
Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 40. Holds up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: South Loop Location 3123269800x
- Entertainment: Both fully stocked mahogany bars offer flat screen TVs which televise
the days sporting events. However, the dining rooms offer a more intimate
setting with classic Italian music and dimly lit tables.
- Special Events: COMING VERY SOON........ New Private Party Room Available to host your next Party!!! Featuring a 70 inch Hi Definition Projection TV Screen that includes an elaborate sound system - Ideal for all conferences / business meetings that require projection or visual viewing! Great for Birthday Celebrations, Graduations, Baptisms, Memorial Luncheons, Business functions as well as any other special event. Please contact us for further details!!!
A word from Café Bionda
Step into the old country of Italy through Café Bionda (“blonde woman” in Italian). Café Bionda offers authentic old world Italian recipes. Every dish is cooked and seasoned to perfection. Bionda features a large selection of liquor, including a signature martini list, and a vast array of both red and white wines. Come in and enjoy amazing food and a fun atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bionda reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (14)special occasion (13)romantic (10)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- birthdayhennjDined on 11/21/2013Celebrated with a birthday dinner, the food was excellent and the service outstanding. We were fortunate enough to have a drink with the owner who happened to be there that night,a very generous business man, and great story tellerSpecial Features:
- Good food and nice ambiance; noisyqlm5nbkDined on 11/8/2013Food was decent but nothing too memorable especially considering it wasn't inexpensive. Service and ambiance were good but noise level was high and difficult to carry on conversation without straining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as previous visitsLataDined on 10/19/2013We have been to this restaurant many times. We always bring our 2 sons (age 10 and 8). Food for the most part was sup par this time. Our sons pizza was definitely burnt, my husband ordered the banana peppers and there were only 2 when usually 4 and the tiramisu was flavorless and dry. We love this place and hope it was just an off evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very happyHYC2013Dined on 10/12/2013I will mention first, that it was the weekend of the Chicago Marathon, but i'm not giving excuses for any restaurant. Very inattentive service. No parmasean cheese for our salads, no fresh pepper, lamb chops were chewy, the olives for the martini arrived after dinner was over.Special Features:
- Good but not greatruntoeatDined on 10/12/2013I was told that this is the best place for pasta if we didn't want to cab into downtown. The restaurant called on Sunday to confirm that a party of 6 was indeed coming. I have a feeling that if we didn't answer the phone call we wouldn't have had a reservation. Our server was friendly but slightly frazzled.Our table tried the calamari & arugula salad to start - wonderful! The main dishes were average. I personally had the Shrimp & Broccoli Linguine which was less than appealing- over cooked shrimp & salty broccoli. One person at our table ordered the special (gnocchi carbonara) - amazing! For dessert we had home-made tiramisu to share - I would go back just to eat the dessert.
- Great experienceKeithDined on 10/7/2013The restaurant was hopping on a Monday night. Food and service were highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local placelivbigVIPDined on 10/7/2013Loved the food...loved the service! The place was packed and crowded so took away from some of the pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2013Always a great meal, romantic spot, with great Italian food.Special Features:
- ServiceSLfoodieDined on 10/1/2013The staff was very accommodating. Great ambience. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speedy ServicemisemanDined on 9/27/2013The food was good and came very quickly. Our dining experience was very quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe biondabethieDined on 9/20/2013We were visiting from out of town. The food is out of this world! The music is too loud, but the food is awesome! Definitely worth going! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoildScottVIPDined on 9/13/2013Good neighborhood Italian - traditional menu, done reasonably well. Nice service and host. Portions are on the larger side. Enjoyed it and would return/recommend..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNovelty57Dined on 9/12/2013Meet with a group of 10 business associates in all for an introductory and planning lunch. Staff was very courteous setting up the appointment and the hostess was very nice. The food was very good except for the pork chop was a little over cooked. Waiter was good but check was a little slow coming out. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013A great find in Chicago. Exceptional food, the nana's gravy is unbelievably good!Special Features:
- Another good experienceMelleDined on 8/9/2013Cafe Bionda is a great addition to the south loop neighborhood !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I left here wondering whyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/8/2013I left here wondering why I don't come here more often...very goodSpecial Features:
- It's okaySatisfiedDined on 8/4/2013Nothing bad to say here. The atmosphere was pleasant the staff was friendly but the food great but extraordinary. There's something about paying $25 for a bowl of spaghetti at Italian restaurants that I'm still not okay with. They did have a good wine list. I don't know just nothing special to say it was good food good service good wine, But nothing great.Special Features:
- Good Italian foodJeromeVIPDined on 8/3/2013After all these years, it never fails to deliver good food and good service. I would recommend anyone to make a reservation when you're planning for dinner as it gets packed quite easily.Special Features:
- A great Italian placeLizPowerfulVIPDined on 8/2/2013I went with a friend for dinner on a Friday night. I made reservations but I doubt we would have had to wait long for a table if we hadn't made reservations. I had the rigatoni with vodka sauce and it was fabulous! Shelly was our waitress and treated us wonderfully. Pauly, the manager, came by our table a few times to make sure everything was to our liking. I love it here and cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Nana lives in Chicago- yum!!LuvfoodDined on 7/30/2013I checked open table to see what might be near the Hyatt at McCormick Place, located in the distant south side of town. This sweet,title Italian place was within walking distance so I strolled there. My female waitress was a delight (boomer) and she let me order a side of spaghetti and meatball and arugula salad, both of which rivaled my Italian grandmas cooking!! I I tended to return the following g nite but time didn't allow. Highly recommend. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- fabulous!monaDined on 7/29/2013Took adult children as college send off. Excellent service, delicious food, authentic Italian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is Little Italy in the South Loop?SlooperGirlDined on 7/27/2013When dining at Cafe Bionda I am never disappointed -- well, unless they try to seat me at a high-boy table in the bar area when I have a reservation. The food is fantastic and their bread with gravy (red sauce for all you non-Italians) is a wonderful way to start a meal. Highlights include, but are certainly not limited to: parmesan/milenese chicken larger than the plate, eggplant rolotinis, wonderful Italian wine selection, stuffed shells, rotating specials... I cannot go on I am getting too hungry. If you have not tried Cafe Bionda definitely make the trip - the parking lot in back and ample street parking makes it worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good We Went Back The Next NightKYRealtorDined on 7/24/2013While only being in Chicago for 3 nights, we chose to spend 2 of them at this restaurant. Food was Wonderful and Plentiful. We shared the portions and had plenty. Please leave room for the deserts as they are great as well. Ask for GUY the server and you won't go wrong. Thank You Open Table for helping us find this one.,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/22/2013This was my first time at Cafe Bionda and I was pleasantly surprised. I had the linguine with shrimp and broccoli which was perfectly cooked and seasoned, and the right portion. My other friends had the bacon wrapped scallops which were so delectable and rich! The sauce was amazing! We asked for more bread just so we could eat it with the sauce! We had no time for dessert but will definitely be back. If you're going on a night where there is a Soldier Field event, plan ahead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- city gemcityboyDined on 7/21/2013cafe bionda = big surprise! south loop area - yes, fine dining on 19th and state! ambience is very nice, service was perfect, but the food - it really was outstanding. 5 different entries and everyone raved; not easy to pull off within our group. if you miss your nonnie's or mom's cooking, this place is a must visit. worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service weretompVIPDined on 7/12/2013The food and the service were great at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDJ07VIPDined on 7/9/2013Totally excited to come back to this restaruant, unfortunately, it was a terrible experience........ Service and food was awful.
- Cute spot!CnikVIPDined on 7/6/2013I had a very delicious meal accompanied by wonderful service. My only qualm was that there was a woman who had her dogs off their leashes. I don't mind dining in a dog friendly environment. Just keep them leashed so they aren't sniffing around other customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!! Fabulous service,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/30/2013Loved it!!! Fabulous service, cocktails, atmosphere, FOOD and I could go on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2013Pulling up to the restaurant it doesn't look like much but once inside and seated, the service was attentive and the food was wonderful!Special Features:
- fyi. OpenTable, when we arrived,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2013fyi. OpenTable, when we arrived, they did NOT have our reservation. However they seated us anyway.
- One of our Near South SideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2013One of our Near South Side favorites. Menu has all the Italian standards plus several Cafe Bionda specials that are excellent. Service has always been good and the quality of the food is excellent. Recommend Cafe Bionda if your looking for good authentic Italian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Italian.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2013Homemade Gnocchi Romano tastes like pillows of heaven with crumbled sausage, peas and mushrooms in a vodka cream sauce. I savored every single bite. Start with the grilled calamari. The fresh bread and marinara / parmesan dipping sauce were wonderful. Great service and nice dinner atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- usually good. this time not.foodie2foodieDined on 5/25/2013Went here after a Sox game in a group 4. The service was sub-par. And the seafood was overcooked--as in rubbery with burnt areas. When the server was told about this he said, " what? You want a new one?" Um...yes! When the new one came it was undercooked-still pink. Usually this place is great! Not that night, unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Italian restaurantBellakDined on 5/25/2013Such a great restaurant! The specials menu is unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outCindyFDined on 5/25/2013Enjoyed a nice evening with family and friends. Good food and makes a great Rob Roy. Had table ready, no wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always the food was amazingCleoVIPDined on 5/24/2013As always the food was amazing and the food was slow to get to the table. The server was awful, just left us in the corner and didn't come by enough. Not sure what the problem was but I love the place and an off night will never stop me from having a meal at Cafe Bionda.Special Features:
- Really good food and friendlyBabsVIPDined on 5/23/2013Really good food and friendly atmospere. Great place for casual lunch or dinner as well as a business lunch.
- Great againGaryDined on 5/21/2013Took a business associate to dinner at Bionda the other night. As always, great service, great atmosphere and great food. Always a pleasure to eat and enjoy a great time at Bionda's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor managementCSJS60Dined on 5/17/2013There were four significant problems with our dining experience. It started with our reservation. We waited 45 minutes to be seated. While waiting, the bartender was rude when we asked any questions about our drink order. Because of the long wait, we were told a manager would be coming over to our table to talk with us (even though we didn't request a manager). No one ever came over. We were there celebrating a birthday and told our waiter (who, other than this part of the meal, was a very good server and probably the only positive experience from the night). A dessert was brought over but we were charged $10 for it. I can't recall being charged for a birthday dessert.