1924 S State Street
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafebionda.com/
- Phone: 3123269800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Mon-Thurs
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm Fri & Sat
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Any item featured on the menu can be done family style for catering events.
Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 40. Holds up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: South Loop Location 3123269800x
- Entertainment: Both fully stocked mahogany bars offer flat screen TVs which televise
the days sporting events. However, the dining rooms offer a more intimate
setting with classic Italian music and dimly lit tables.
- Special Events: COMING VERY SOON........ New Private Party Room Available to host your next Party!!! Featuring a 70 inch Hi Definition Projection TV Screen that includes an elaborate sound system - Ideal for all conferences / business meetings that require projection or visual viewing! Great for Birthday Celebrations, Graduations, Baptisms, Memorial Luncheons, Business functions as well as any other special event. Please contact us for further details!!!
A word from Café Bionda
Step into the old country of Italy through Café Bionda (“blonde woman” in Italian). Café Bionda offers authentic old world Italian recipes. Every dish is cooked and seasoned to perfection. Bionda features a large selection of liquor, including a signature martini list, and a vast array of both red and white wines. Come in and enjoy amazing food and a fun atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bionda reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (15)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (9)romantic (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Guy is a talented courtious passionate server and made our first dinning experience greatSpecial Features:
- Cafe BiondaKakkVIPDined on 3/1/2014The food was fabulous! I ordered the nana's gravy. YUM! One of my friends had pasta with vodka sauce and added crumbed sausage - also very yum. Another friend ordered the lemon chicken. That was kind of odd. It was more like chicken vesuvio. She wasn't that thrilled. I would go back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave it a Try!KnitterVIPDined on 2/24/2014We thought we give this restaurant a try and in the end, will probably not return. The food was good, but not great. Our server was accommodating and pleasant, but not very knowledgeable. When I asked about an item, she would say, "Ooh, yes, you must try it, and then push for us to order the grilled calamari." The bread with the red sauce was nice and the cannoli decent. I had the veal braciole and was told it was just like the saltimbocca. I always thought that saltimbocca was made with a white wine sauce, but not so here. My husband ordered linguine with clams. The whole bowl was filled with Manila clams; the sauce was more like soup.
- Great food, great wine. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Great food, great wine. This time they were so crowded that we felt a little rushed, like they fed us and we had to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, great experience.Zellers09VIPDined on 2/22/2014I've been going to Cafe Bionda for nearly 8 years and I have to say it is consistently a great experience. Service was fantastic, the server got us in and out quickly ( we were going to the ballet so were on a schedule), and the food was delectable. There is something about the Tomato & Mozzarella salad, and they have truly gotten the Rigatoni Ala Vodka down to a perfected science. Always a nice touch when the owner stops by to check in with us.Special Features:
- New fav for Italian!JudyODined on 2/22/2014Immediately, the waiter brought out fresh bread & a bowl of red gravy to nimble on while we looked at the menu. For our appetizers, we enjoyed the baked clams and fried zucchini. My husband used the bread to sop up the sauce from the clams it was so good. For dinner he had the veal parmesan and I had the bacon wrapped scallops in a citrus sauce with a balsamic glaze topped with arugala. It was amazing! The balsamic glaze was so good that I asked it I could have it as a topping for dessert over a small scoop of ice cream. It should be on the menu. Service was great!Special Features:
- As always, Bionda pulls offOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014As always, Bionda pulls off a great night, especially dealing with the post Valentine's day crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I both felt thatrileyDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I both felt that the even though the food was good, service was fair and our table spot was noisy. Prices were too high for the quality of food, service, and ambience.
- Service was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Service was excellent and food was wonderful. Great that they hold true to their reservationsSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodVeroDined on 2/14/2014The food is outstanding. You can never go wrong with whatever you get. Service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- left happy and fullhapE2eatDined on 2/14/2014i liked the relaxed atmosphere , and the food is very good,be ready to take home a "doggy bag' as the portions are very generous. i find this to be moderately priced .Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner ExperiencefoodanddrinksDined on 2/8/2014I can't say enough about our excellent experience at Cafe Bionda. Great food, great service, awesome atmosphere. Your only regret will be that you didn't experience this place sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedNedsterDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I eat there for special occasions or if we haven't been out for a while. We know the owner, who has personally has waited on us in the past, this night she didn't which was okay. But, the tomato sauce they put on your table with bread was very peppery to the point of being to hot. I unfortunately ordered the spaghetti with meat balls and meat sauce and it was to spicy to really enjoy. We asked the waitress if they had a new chef and she said no but that maybe who ever made up the sauce that day over did it with the pepper. I find that really hard to believe that a chef wouldn't anyone but himself make that sauce up as it's a signature for that restaurant. We'll go back because more often than not it's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined a Cafe BiondaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/7/2014We have dined a Cafe Bionda several times. The food is consistently good as is the service. The wine and wine are not good; we had to send back 3 glasses.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food portions are generousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/30/2014Food portions are generous to a fault; traditional Italian dishes, well prepared. Service is knowledgeable and warm. A special go to in summer to sit outside, but warm & friendly in the winter as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing, but....SaturdaynightVIPDined on 1/19/2014Loved our food - rigatoni genovese and the gnocchi, with a ceasar salad. But - had a reservation, and they tried to seat us alone in a empty part of the restaurant. Said no, and got a small table too close to others. Our salad sat (in view) for over 5 minutes, with the server moving it around on the pick up shelf, just not bringing it! And the oddest thing - they didn't give me all of my leftovers. My daughter joked it wouldn't all fit in a to go container (the gnocchi was pretty rich and I had a late lunch). I had way more left than she did and when we looked in the containers to make sure we took the correct one home, I had less than she did in my container. Did the busboy want to eat it or was he just too lazy to scrape it all out?
- Awesome placeIndyBoaterDined on 1/17/2014We travel to Chicago once or twice per year and always make a point to eat at Cafe' Bionda during each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian DiningNickDined on 1/11/2014Bionda is a nice hidden treat south of the loop. The atmosphere and decor are great. It's a great find for Italian food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Bionda great ItalianluvgoodfoodDined on 1/10/2014The menu, smells and choices feel authentic Italian. Ate too much of the warm crusty bread served with tomato sauce on the side! The eggplant parmesan was delicious! Would have like more sea food choices, but variety of pasta dishes great. Ambience cozy, and easy to talk. Service was good. Prices reasonable. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter was terrific andCindyDined on 1/9/2014Our waiter was terrific and our food was very good! We truly enjoyed our night out there and definitely will bring friends back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianFlamingoVIPDined on 12/19/2013Thanks for another great meal! Everything was great, as always. And portions are large so you have something yummy for lunch the next day. If you are looking for good italian, make your reservation here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Bionda ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/19/2013I love this little South Loop neighborhood restaurant. I'm a huge fan of Italian and this place never disappoints when I go. Im picky with the meals I eat and have a "favorite" dish when dining out at Italian spots and when they make it, it is one of my favorites. They not only have great appetizers, but their entrees even when not customized are delicious. The wait staff is extremely nice and accommodating and the setting is very quaint, cute, quiet and romantic. I'll certainly be dining here many more times and would recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem in the South LoopOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/14/2013First time going and I look forward to our next visit. Great food, great service, and overall a great find.Special Features:
- Still, a hidden gem!!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 12/14/2013By far, one of the best Italian dining secrets in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerLeslieVIPDined on 11/30/2013The food, wine and service were outstanding. We were at a bad table . . . in the back next to the kitchen and almost in the hall, but our server was so good that it wasn't an issue. Only complaint is that we made a reservation through Open Table and the hostess forgot to notify them that we were there. Hate those no-show emails from Open Table!Special Features:
- birthdayhennjDined on 11/21/2013Celebrated with a birthday dinner, the food was excellent and the service outstanding. We were fortunate enough to have a drink with the owner who happened to be there that night,a very generous business man, and great story tellerSpecial Features:
- Good food and nice ambiance; noisyqlm5nbkDined on 11/8/2013Food was decent but nothing too memorable especially considering it wasn't inexpensive. Service and ambiance were good but noise level was high and difficult to carry on conversation without straining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as previous visitsLataDined on 10/19/2013We have been to this restaurant many times. We always bring our 2 sons (age 10 and 8). Food for the most part was sup par this time. Our sons pizza was definitely burnt, my husband ordered the banana peppers and there were only 2 when usually 4 and the tiramisu was flavorless and dry. We love this place and hope it was just an off evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very happyHYC2013Dined on 10/12/2013I will mention first, that it was the weekend of the Chicago Marathon, but i'm not giving excuses for any restaurant. Very inattentive service. No parmasean cheese for our salads, no fresh pepper, lamb chops were chewy, the olives for the martini arrived after dinner was over.Special Features:
- Good but not greatruntoeatDined on 10/12/2013I was told that this is the best place for pasta if we didn't want to cab into downtown. The restaurant called on Sunday to confirm that a party of 6 was indeed coming. I have a feeling that if we didn't answer the phone call we wouldn't have had a reservation. Our server was friendly but slightly frazzled.Our table tried the calamari & arugula salad to start - wonderful! The main dishes were average. I personally had the Shrimp & Broccoli Linguine which was less than appealing- over cooked shrimp & salty broccoli. One person at our table ordered the special (gnocchi carbonara) - amazing! For dessert we had home-made tiramisu to share - I would go back just to eat the dessert.
- Great experienceKeithDined on 10/7/2013The restaurant was hopping on a Monday night. Food and service were highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local placelivbigVIPDined on 10/7/2013Loved the food...loved the service! The place was packed and crowded so took away from some of the pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2013Always a great meal, romantic spot, with great Italian food.Special Features:
- ServiceSLfoodieDined on 10/1/2013The staff was very accommodating. Great ambience. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speedy ServicemisemanDined on 9/27/2013The food was good and came very quickly. Our dining experience was very quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe biondabethieDined on 9/20/2013We were visiting from out of town. The food is out of this world! The music is too loud, but the food is awesome! Definitely worth going! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoildScottVIPDined on 9/13/2013Good neighborhood Italian - traditional menu, done reasonably well. Nice service and host. Portions are on the larger side. Enjoyed it and would return/recommend..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchNovelty57Dined on 9/12/2013Meet with a group of 10 business associates in all for an introductory and planning lunch. Staff was very courteous setting up the appointment and the hostess was very nice. The food was very good except for the pork chop was a little over cooked. Waiter was good but check was a little slow coming out. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013A great find in Chicago. Exceptional food, the nana's gravy is unbelievably good!Special Features:
- Another good experienceMelleDined on 8/9/2013Cafe Bionda is a great addition to the south loop neighborhood !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.