1924 S State Street
Chicago, IL 60616Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafebionda.com/
- Phone: (312) 326-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Mon-Thurs
Dinner: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm Fri & Sat
Sunday Dinner: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Any item featured on the menu can be done family style for catering events.
Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 40. Holds up to 50.
- Private Party Contact: South Loop Location 3123269800x
- Entertainment: Both fully stocked mahogany bars offer flat screen TVs which televise
the days sporting events. However, the dining rooms offer a more intimate
setting with classic Italian music and dimly lit tables.
- Special Events: COMING VERY SOON........ New Private Party Room Available to host your next Party!!! Featuring a 70 inch Hi Definition Projection TV Screen that includes an elaborate sound system - Ideal for all conferences / business meetings that require projection or visual viewing! Great for Birthday Celebrations, Graduations, Baptisms, Memorial Luncheons, Business functions as well as any other special event. Please contact us for further details!!!
A word from Café Bionda
Step into the old country of Italy through Café Bionda (“blonde woman” in Italian). Café Bionda offers authentic old world Italian recipes. Every dish is cooked and seasoned to perfection. Bionda features a large selection of liquor, including a signature martini list, and a vast array of both red and white wines. Come in and enjoy amazing food and a fun atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bionda reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (13)special occasion (12)great for lunch (11)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Food was delicious. You canOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2008Food was delicious. You can never go wrong with their meatballs!Special Features:
- This was my second time visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2008This was my second time visiting Cafe Bionda. I was impressed the first time and equally impressed on my most recent visit. A good find in restaurants.Special Features:
- I have been here a coupleNancilitaVIPDined on 6/3/2008I have been here a couple of times and each dish I have had has been awesome!Special Features:
- DELICIOUS! Huge portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/31/2008DELICIOUS! Huge portions - easy to share, very very tasty food!Special Features:
- I would love this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2008I would love this restaurant much more if there was some lighting! It is so dark that we could barely read the menu or see our friends sitting across the table from us. When we inquired about this we were told that the restaurant deliberately keeps it dark and won't raise the lights. Are they trying to hide something?
- Food was superb. Service justOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008Food was superb. Service just as good. The only thing is that the tables are arranged so close at each other there's hardly a walkway for waiters.Special Features:
- My husband and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2008My husband and I have been to Cafe Bionda several times. The wait staff is amazing and the food is even more spectacular then the service. The only thing I would change, is the bread and gravy that ou received at the beginning of dinner. Maybe garlic bread of some sort? The stuffed shells are mouth watering. My favorite dish is the Rigatone alla vodka. It's a large bowl of rigatone drenched in a luscious tomato cream sauce. A large dollop of perfectly seasoned whipped mascarpone sits atop the bed of rigatone. Then, a little bit of fresh basil is sprinkled on top. I prefer to add grilled chicken to my dish, the smokey flavor adds a whole new dimension to the cream sauce. An amazing restaurant in an up and coming neighborhood! LOVE IT!Special Features:
- We got a table outside andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2008We got a table outside and therefore cannot comment on the ambience. Ran into some friends from the neighborhood. Service was superior.Special Features:
- our server was awesome andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2008our server was awesome and full of info and excitement about the dining experience-we will return!Special Features:
- The service left a lot toOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/13/2008The service left a lot to be desired. Our waitress was not attentive. We asked for our bill and were still waiting 30 minutes later. Someone finally had to get up and get another server to try to retrieve our check. Turns out our waitess was too busy socializing with a larger party to pay any attention to us.
- Good food, nice spot, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2008Good food, nice spot, very good service. A very nice neighborhood place.Special Features:
- My dining partner chose aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2008My dining partner chose a house specialty: an unusual combination of pot roast and pasta - an excellent dish we would recommend for others to try. I had veal marsala. We left it up to the expetise of our waiter, Donald, to choose an very good Tuscan Red that went well with both dishes. Service was excellent. We were seated early 6:30 PM, left about 8:20 and never felt rushed even though there was a growing line of diners wating for tables. Trust the recommendations of the staff and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- The place is very dark. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2008The place is very dark. I couldn't read the menu even with my reading glasses on.Special Features:
- Would be great if it weren'tOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2008Would be great if it weren't so loud - food and service were excellent, but probably won't go backSpecial Features:
- Very good food and atmoshpere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/7/2008Very good food and atmoshpere. Our out of town friends liked it alot.Special Features:
- The only redeeming qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008The only redeeming quality of this restaurant was the tirimisu. Everything else was mediocre at best and the waitress's desire to order for us was beyond annoying.
- I love the food and the atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2008I love the food and the atmosphere...all around a great experience. Will definetly make it back often.Special Features:
- The service was so poor, weOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2008The service was so poor, we won't return even though the food was good. Even with a reservation, we waited 15 minutes to be seated. The waiter completely forgot our beverages, and we waited a very long time between salad and entrees.
- Very accommodating to "glutenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2008Very accommodating to "gluten free" eating...........service is great!Special Features:
- I had some Nonna's pot roastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008I had some Nonna's pot roast thing ( a pasta dish) - OUT OF THIS WORLD. Very friendly place. It was great - I'll go back. Could use some better house wines.Special Features:
- Good Italian food from simpleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2008Good Italian food from simple dishes to surprising combinations. We will be back!Special Features:
- We called in BOBBY-ONDA. AlthoughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2008We called in BOBBY-ONDA. Although an attractive bar staff, they are dressed inappropriatly for this establishment. One young lady was wearing hot shorts. Another's breast almost fell in my drink...Not necessary for such a great place. Great wait and bar staff. Great food.Special Features:
- great food difficult toBobAVIPDined on 4/19/2008great food difficult to read menu because itis frequently too darkSpecial Features:
- calamari may be the best inJacekVIPDined on 4/18/2008calamari may be the best in town,,,excellent sausage....Special Features:
- Required valet (an elderlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2008Required valet (an elderly diner)web site stated it started at 5PM. It was 5:30 and no valet. The tables were too close and the aisle was so narrow the staff kept bumping into the chairs. It was so irritating my son had to move to the other end of the table. The service was good until it got busy. but the busboy was always there. The $25 Parmesan Crusted fish was bland and mushy. Bread cold and when we asked for olive oil we receive 1 plate with oil, a nice way to spread germs having everyone dipping into 1 plate. The noise in the place was deafening and oh my,the big screen tv with the Sox's games, put that thing in the back room which is noisy anyway. Try 24th St. & Oakley with 4 good Italian places in one block.
- I had one of the worst restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008I had one of the worst restaurant experiences at your restaurant on 4/12.I had a 9 pm reso and was not seated until 9:30 with no acknowlegment from the host staff.We ordered a salad and as soon as it was brought out our server asked if we wanted black pepper and we said yes.We sat there and waited 3-5 minutes for our server to bring the black pepper and just started eating it with out it before he came back.Next,we ordered 2 pasta dishes and they took 1 HOUR to be brought out with no apology again and no pepper even offered.When making the reso on opentable I noted that I was celebrating a birthday and there was no acknowledgement of that either!No happy birthday from the waiter and no dessert brought out.It was a total embarassment.
- Good traditional cooking.hhhhVIPDined on 4/12/2008Good traditional cooking. Homemade pasta was excellent. We'd go back.Special Features:
- We were 15 minutes late forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008We were 15 minutes late for our reservation but I called ahead of time and notified them that we were running late. They told us that we would probably have to wait an additional 15 minutes when we got there. We ended up waiting 45 minutes and had to remind them that we were waiting before they actually seated us. They may have forgotten had we not reminded them.Special Features:
- Made reservations and arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008Made reservations and arrived ontime -- only to be told that only table available was one of the bar tables -- anything else would be 40 minutes+. Hostess said she would see what she could do twice but never offered any alternative. So we proceeded to be bumped into, could not carry on a conversation, people even placed their drinks on our table. Overall what could have been a nice ended up being a very POOR exprience. As most resturants the bar tables should be used for those drinking and having light food -- not for those who have made reservations and intend to eat a full meal.
- Great South Loop restaurant;OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/8/2008Great South Loop restaurant; wish we had found it sooner!Special Features:
- Fish was not fresh and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/8/2008Fish was not fresh and service was slow! I won't be back.
- Very dirty silverware, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008Very dirty silverware, very dirty menu. Good grilled calamari. Average tilapia sandwich. Average fries. Good service/friendly staff.
- My pasta was a bit salty....enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2008My pasta was a bit salty....enjoy the fact that it is close to my home and has easy parking. The last meal I had there was better. Prices are acceptable, big portions Neighborhood gem says it allSpecial Features:
- The food was great, the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2008The food was great, the atmosphere was acceptable, and the menu is extensive. We had reservations for 8:30pm, and weren't seated until 9:45pm. I've never experienced such a delay in seating despite having reservations. Aside from that, it's a nice south loop dinner spot.Special Features:
- Cafe Bionda offers classicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008Cafe Bionda offers classic Italian food, expertly prepared. The grilled calamari was perfectly cooked, with a nice tang. The whitefish puttanesca also had a nice balance of flavors and the fish was moist yet fully cooked. The tiramisu was excellent. All in all the dishes, while not innovative, were excellent. The place was packed on Saturday night and a bit loud for us. (We are in our 50s; we could converse with eash other, since there were just two of us, but talking to the waiter was a bit difficult.) The portion sizes were HUGE (not a plus for us). We split an order of calamari and an order of tiramisu and were perfectly satisfied. We both took home half of our entress. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The staff was wonderful. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2008The staff was wonderful. Our waiter was nice and attentative to a group of five. I would recommend this restaurant to all of my friends and will be bringing my husband here on one of our date nights.Special Features:
- Have been there four timesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/22/2008Have been there four times now and I enjoy it good food, service and not far from my work and home. Will be back many more times.Special Features:
- We had a drink and appetiserOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2008We had a drink and appetiser in the bar before beingseated for dinner. Great bartender who made you feel at home, whether you were a first-time visitor (as was I) or a regular (there appreared to be many). The reception was also warm, and the server friendly, but unobtrusive. Great little place!Special Features: