004 - La Cité Francophone
8627 rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91 Street NW)
Edmonton, AB T6C 3N1Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lacitefranco.ca/café-bicyclette.php
- Phone: (587) 524-8090
- Hours of Operation:
Lundi/Monday: 8h - 17h
Mardi/Tuesday: 8h - 17h
Mercredi/Wednesday: 8h - 17h
Jeudi/Thursday: 8h - 22h
Friday/Vendredi: 8h - 22h
Samedi/Saturday: 10h - 22h
Dimanche/Sunday: 10h - 17h
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Eric Amyotte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Café Bicyclette
Soyez des nôtres pour un repas français simple, délicieux et rafraîchissant dans le Quartier francophone!Continued
Come join us for delicious and refreshing French-country fare in the French Quarter!
Come join us for delicious and refreshing French-country fare in the French Quarter!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Café Bicyclette reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful - Again!FigeroDined on 8/29/2014This was my fourth time at the restaurant but only my first time for dinner and it was excellent. The service is attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The food is excellent and interesting - not what you find everywhere which is great. The menu changes often so you may not find the same items. We shared the charcuterie platter which was simple but tasty, the steak tartare which was heavenly, and the coq au vin which was also delicious. The outside patio is lovely as well, for an afternoon glass of wine or beer. We did not have dessert but will next time!Special Features:
- Service was the star99999Dined on 8/21/2014Food was good, service excellent (but only because we made a reservation). During the fringe, this restaurant was too busy and noisy. They were disorganized and the line-up was out the door. The food was worth another try, on a less busy night.Special Features:
- SpringGardenDined on 8/1/2014Had a fantastic dinner tonight of escargot, mussels (amazing sauce), fried cod and steak. Everyone raved. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 35 reviews are from the Café Bicyclette reviews archive.
- An excellent findOutboundDined on 7/26/2014The food was superb. While not a huge menu, there were enough choices for anyone to pick from. The quality was exceptional and the flavours were truly enjoyable. We will be going back to try the lunch menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love dining at Café BicycletteEdmontonJamesVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have enjoyed many a breakfast, lunch and dinner at Café Bicyclette. Overall we love the place. The location couldn't be better, always reminds us of being on a little getaway. The menu is simple and the food is delicious. And the baked goods are wonderful. When we discovered that the croissants are brought in specially from France, well that was great. The staff are friendly and bilingual, just wish I could speak a bit more French. Always feel welcome here. The location, in the Cité Francophone, is a gem of a place. We also love the design of the building itself, and understand local architect Herve Tardif was a key designer - a great space, such a special place in a beautiful neighbourhood in Edmonton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner has been better in the pastMikeDined on 6/7/2014Maybe they changed chefs here, but the food has gone from very good to OK. Had the steak, and it was fairly tough. The cod meal was a pretty small portion. Ambiance is great, though, and it's fantastic for lunch. Good beer prices, and the patio outside is terrific. They even have a basket of sunglasses if you forget your own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014New to town and found this on Urbanspoon while looking for a short-notice dinner spot with my wife. Hopped on the website, clicked the OpenTable reservation link and was there in 20 minutes. I'm glad we had reserved because it was quite busy and walk-ups were waiting. Food was excellent and reminded me very much of the rural restaurants in France that I visit a fair amount. Service was great and prices quite reasonable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- LaynerDined on 5/30/2014I loved it here, we were pleasantly surprised with the great food and the cheap (but good) wine. It's nice not to get dinged $15 for a glass of wine. We had the ratatouille which was the best I've ever had, the steak au poivre, french onion soup and the house red wine ($6 a glass!) which was super. All top notch, cute atmosphere, nice service. Definitely a gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014The only downside to the entire evening was that I was fairly adventurous with my order and perhaps pushed the envelope because it was deemed ok. Been here before and was quite satisfied. Moral of the story, you can only screw this restaurant up yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastically French!Yummy4mytummyDined on 5/8/2014Loved that the staff speak French & the menu is in French. The Salade Nicoise was wonderfully different if you enjoy Dijon mustard. The poutine is a tasty blend and rich in flavour. Great place for relaxed conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highs and not so LowsOrestoDined on 5/3/2014The highs were the Poutine, Mussels, wine was surprising good for the cost...well done there.....duck confit OK , maybe over cooked and a bit salty....steak was ok but done as ordered....the mushroom gnocchi A-.....service could use some tutoring on the wine as she was confused....I would go back...prices were well worth the visit.......5 of us ate 2 bottles of wine , 2 appetizers and meals for 2 billsSpecial Features:
- Neat little place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2014Nice little place with a casual comfy atmosphere. Good food, great fries, awesome creme brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and top notch serviceCloverdaleDivaDined on 4/26/2014Hearing mixed reviews, our group of 4 went without knowing what to expect. Very flavourful food.... mussels in particular had super aroma, garlic and white wine as was the bouillabaisse. Swordfish was equally enjoyed. The ragout of mushroom gnocchi were very tasty even though the label of gnocchi was a loose interpretation .... not the typical soft pillows of pasta but more of a "tater tot", but the fungi concoction was divine. The server was attentive, friendly and very charming. We thought she might speak just French, but she gathered that we were not native speakers, but asked if we would prefer to be served in French. Great spot. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Delicious food and great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014This is our second visit to this restaurant for dinner and it won't be our last. The food is served hot and is so tasty with a nice selection of wine to go with it. It is so nice to be able to have a wonderful dinner then walk down the hallway and go to the show. We have also had their lunches in the summer and they are also great. They make a wonderful latte as well!Special Features:
- overall an excellent diningclimberDined on 4/11/2014overall an excellent dining experience. would definitely go back. Even though I dont' speak French and my friends at the table the waiter did not make me feel excluded and spoke English with me. Not snobby which was very nice.Special Features:
- Dinner before the theatreJacquelinaDined on 4/5/2014The night I went for dinner, the restaurant was understaffed. It was a while before we were approached upon entering.The steak was good - it would have been nice to have been served a few more green vegetables with the meal. There were a couple of carrots and frites, which were good. For dessert we shared what was called a brownie. It was not a brownie. My guess is that it came from a package.
- Has potential but a lot needs workwebmysDined on 4/5/2014I really want this place to survive, because it is so nice to have a good place to eat when you go to shows at La Cite Francophone. But our dinner there was a comedy of errors. The new server brought the meals for 2 of the 5 very quickly because (it turned out) she had brought them to the wrong table. But none of the staff notice or tried to correct the situation. We eventually told the 2 to eat, and about 1/2 hr later finally managed to nap another server to ask about the other meals. Eventually our server came & explained the mess-up but not why the others STILL weren't done. (We'd told her we were on a deadline.) In total, waited nearly an hr. for food that, while very tasty, was massively overpriced (esp the specials).Special Features:
- C'est Fantastique!FuuuudDined on 4/3/2014My friend and I went to this restaurant because we needed a French cultural event for our class (ordering in French). There was a very large group there at the same time. This didn't impact the fantastic service. It also didn't make out food take longer. These are two things that seriously impress me since I used to serve and I know how hard that is. (The group arrived the same time as us). The food was amazingly delicious. I had the Bouillebaisse (seafood soup) and Tarte au Sucre for dessert. The soup was phenomenal. It was the perfect amount of spicy and delicious. Came out nice and hot with baguette on the side. Well worth the price. The tart was to-die-for! Perfect amount of sweet to top it all off with. Definitely will again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small space, great service,natashaDined on 3/29/2014Small space, great service, online reservations worked perfectly, food is terrific. French character. Must go back to try the Sugar PieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time diningCheliDined on 3/29/2014This was our first time dining at Cafe Bicyclette and we were thoroughly impressed. The atmosphere, the service and the food were all outstanding. We will be recommending this to friends and family and hope to try out the outdoor dining experience that the Cafe offers in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyReviewManVIPDined on 3/28/2014For the price you pay you will get mediocre to low quality food. For $70 it's better spent at either Red Ox Inn, Wildflower Grill, Allegro, Sabor Divino, Range Road etc. For a French restaurant in a French district I grew up in, it was a huge disappointment. This is not quality French food. You're basically paying for ambience.
- Good food, good pricesCaffeineaddictDined on 3/21/2014Went to the restaurant for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised. I especially liked the fact the menu is in French! It felt really authentic. I don't read French, fortunately my girlfriend does, so that wasn't a problem. We had poutine to start, bouillabaisse and duck confit as entrees. They were all very tasty. I found the bouillabaisse a tad spicy for my taste, but someone who likes spicy food may find that just perfect. Service was adequate. The waitress came and checked to make sure each course was good. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK- BUT!foodieloverVIPDined on 3/15/2014We made an open table reservation - Once arriving we waited nearly 10 minutes before being greeted. We could tell that they were not ready for us as they were frantically looking on OT reservation to confirm. After discussing where we were to sit, we then waited 20 minutes before being brought a menu. We were not even approached before that to order drinks etc. Once we received menus we waited another 20 minutes before one server came and asked if we had anyone come back to take our order. As regards food - the duck was excellent- the angus steak was cooked medium rare as ordered but tough. Points for the restaurant - our waitress gave us a take home dessert on the house without us bringing their inattentiveness to the fore.
- Delightful! Real French flavour.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2014Everything about it was wonderful. The French menu. The French food. The wine. Prices very reasonable. A touch of elegance in a casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy steak-frites.sympaDined on 3/8/2014Exactly what the Cité Francophone needs: totally typical simple French dishes, made well and served well in a pleasant atmosphere. We shared a charcuterie plate and had the steak-frites. Our steaks were cooked just right for two people whose desires in a steak could not be more different. A wonderful experience; we've already recommended Café Bicyclette to a friend and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodunknownDined on 3/7/2014Their poutine is fantastic, very authentic and French Canadian. We also ordered the night's special of seared scallops and risotto, it was delicious.Special Features:
- First time at this restaurantReneeDined on 2/28/2014First time at this restaurant with a group of friends. A little on the louder side. The prices are are very reasonable for quality food. Servants are well trained but they were a little under staffed which made it on the slower side. Their breakfast menu looked phenomenal, will definitely go back to try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!MomanddaughterDined on 2/15/2014We reserved a table for 4, Feb. 15 and were given a reminder call about our reservation. We were also warned that the restaurant was having a set menu as part of the Valentine weekend special. They were very courteous to contact us ahead of time to insure this would meet our needs. We really enjoyed all of the dishes and the wine per couple. This is an excellent neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- A little gem of a restaurantcarlieoDined on 2/14/2014First time at Cafe Bicyclette. My wife and I went for their set menu on Valentine's Day. It was very good. Sevice was a pefect and the food was amazing. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the vergeColinDined on 2/14/2014I loved the food. It was excellently prepared and presented. I would like to see a little more confidence from the servers but that comes with time. They were knowledgeable about the menu and very attentive and courteous. They could even lower the lights a little more and work with candles on the tables. They need a better music solution as well. But these are all easily correctable surface things. The food and service were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely mealAnnMarieDined on 2/14/2014We went for the Valentine'sDay set menu. The choices were very good and the chef accomodated gluten-free and dairy intolerance without stress. The filet mignon was the best steak I have ever eaten in Edmonton! The price was reasonable and the staff were attentive. French came first as it should in this French district but all the service staff had a great sense of humour about it and translated the menu for us. It felt a little like being in Montreal. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and fair valueMandyDined on 2/13/2014We have been several times for brunch, which are quite good. This was our first time for dinner. I enjoyed the special, which was beet risotto and seared scallops ($23). However, he risotto was crunchy and undercooked. Overall the dish had good flavour. My partner had the steak with fries ($18). For the price I found the dishes to be a little on the small side. I also expected to be greeted with a basket of bread, normally customary in French restaurants. This was not the case. Overall we enjoyed the meal and ambiance, but some details could be improved upon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday FunCitygirlDined on 1/31/2014Lovely atmosphere and great food-- the menu in French was easy to negotiate around-the waitress was very helpful-we did not need her skills to order. Definetly recommend this place! On a warmer day-would love to try the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out for DinnerLunchdinerDined on 1/25/2014Nice location, gentle service. Food is okay. Want to try brunch.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Gourmet food at reasonable prices and reasonable portions. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quaint spot, lots of potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/24/2014This little restaurant is all about French cuisine. The service was very good. The food was good, and with a bit of polish I think it could become excellent. The ambiance was fine and cozy. Some logistical changes at the entrance would go a long way to making the restaurant more welcoming. Upon arriving, it wasn't clear where to go to be seated - or if we had even found the correct entrance. A little podium and sign at the front might help in this way. Altogether, an enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a cozy environmenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014Delicious food in a cozy environment. The atmosphere was quiet, calm, and friendly,many choices of wine by the glass, and the prices are quite low for such tasty fare. Hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outdoor experience!BibliophileVIPDined on 1/24/2014Sitting by the fireplace with your hot Latte and tarte au sucre is heavenly and romantic. Thank you, Cafe Bicyclette for a wonderful experience on a Friday evening. Food was delicious as always and the waitress was warm, genuine, interesting and, just the right amount attentive!Special Features: