322 Massachusetts Avenu, NE
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeberlin-dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 543-7656
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German
- Executive Chef: Rico Glage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 45 people sit-down dinner and up to 60 people open buffet, cocktail etc.
- Private Party Contact: Clytie Roberts-Glage 2025437656x
- Cross Street: Between 3rd & 4th
- Public Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 2 short blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in a residential neighborhood where street parking is typically ample. Alternately, Union Station is just 2 blocks away and has a large parking garage.
A word from Cafe Berlin
Café Berlin has been serving authentic German and traditional cuisine on Capitol Hill since 1985. It occupies the ground floor of three townhouses whose front yards serve as patio for outdoor dining. The interior features a small bar and two cozy dining rooms. The restaurant is located within a short walking distance of Union Station and the U.S. Capitol. It draws politicians, congressional staffer, and tourists as well a loyal following of neighborhood residents. The traditional dishes are authentically prepared with lighter touch by chefs with extensive experience in German cuisine. In addition to the regular menu, the restaurant offer seasonally changing menus that feature fresh asparagus in the spring, salads and light fares in the summer, Bavarian dishes during Oktoberfest in the fall, and wild game in the winter. Desserts which are freshly made in-house include apple strudel, black forest cake, and luscious cream tortes. The bar offers a selection of imported German beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Berlin - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Cafe Berlin reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (72)neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (37)good for groups (31)romantic (27)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Kind and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014We arrived 45 minutes late for our reservation but we seated by a gracious host immediately. Service by team approach which proved very efficient. Seasonal beers a definite plus. Food well prepared. Portions hearty but not overwhelming. An excellent spot. One downer: beer prices are very high relative to Germany but average for DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful German Food!AlexandrianDined on 8/16/2014Café Berlin is a favorite, we return to again and again. This was a summer evening's visit with friends, and a nice one, as the food is good, the beer great and a comfortable place to go--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lecker!BonneVivanteDined on 8/15/2014Every so often, I have a hankering for food from Deutschland and to satisfy my craving THIS time, I paid a visit to Cafe Berlin....and I am SO very glad that I did! This quaint little cafe on Capital Hill now has a new regular! The food was enjoyable and the service even better. My waitress, (who by the way is from the motherland!) was attentive, incredibly friendly and very helpful with menu recommendations. For my appetizer, I had the fried brie w/fruit compote; my entree was a stuffed beef roulade served with dumplings (INCREDIBLE!) and dessert was gooseberry pie. Now, back to those dumplings: These tasty gems should not be missed! They are little bites of heaven with dollops of brown-buttered breadcrumbs nestled atop! DELICIOUS!!!!Special Features:
- Dinner and beerMattDined on 8/14/2014Dinner was great and good selection of German beers. Outdoor patio is amazing in the summer, would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchAnonymousDined on 8/13/2014It was very good, except no Black Forest cake as dessert option. I had not been to Cafe Berlin in quite a while and their dessert selection used to be more extensive. Today, they had "only" six cakes to choose from. Since I am a huge dessert person, that was a disppointment for me.
- Great German FoodMhilt126Dined on 8/12/2014Go to Cafe Berlin for some Great German Food. The management was especially sensitive to food allergies that several people in our party had. The pickled herring and the fried brie were wonderful appetizers. Everything else was great, too. Our server was very slow to take our orders. But, once we had ordered, the service was excellent. We found the noise level inside a bit loud - but once the folks who were at that loud table left, the noise level was fine.Special Features:
- Go hungryEmptyStomachDined on 8/12/2014The food at Cafe Berlin is really good -- love that red cabbage! -- but go hungry because the servings are large and are definitely heavy on the meat and carbs (which is pretty typical for German food). Maybe a better place for winter than summer dining.Special Features:
- Love the Weiner Schnitzel!KatWagsDined on 8/11/2014I am a fan of the Weiner Schnitzel and the Huhner Schnitzel. Very tasty! I have found that they have better service on the weekends, as when I went on a Monday it was rather slow despite only 4 other tables being seated. With that being said, the service wasn't bad by any means!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 737 reviews are from the Cafe Berlin reviews archive.
- Worst German food I've ever tried.GermanyDined on 7/31/2014Please do yourself a favour and do not eat here if your looking for good German food. I'm embarrassed as German to think that people assume this is real German food.
- Great food....takes timeKalrolDined on 7/28/2014The food was great, the service was reasonably attentive but only 1 server for the entire outdoor patio. The food took a long long time. We ordered sandwiches, soup, and salad and the food took nearly 50 minutes to arrive. If you have that amount of time for lunch I recommend it.Special Features:
- CynthiaVIPDined on 7/26/2014They were out of several of our first-choice beers, but extremely courteous and attentive service and the food was tasty, well-prepared, and exactly as we expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food butnigelwVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food was great, but they were short staffed and it showed, other than that I'd go again for sure.Special Features:
- Wonderful Washington ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/19/2014Blocks for the nation's capital, this restaurant has to be one of the nicest patio settings in the area. Combine that with friendly, attentive service and good food and it is easy to see how Cafe Berlin has endured.Special Features:
- A most pleasant eveningpaunchDined on 7/12/2014We had a most pleasant evening dinner. The food is typical German,and prepared well,and the Beer, well nothing beats German Beer. Although the restaurant is on Mass Ave., it is quite. For a more intimate setting, sit inside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014awesome german food and beer in Washington D.C.. ...a hidden gem. dSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent German fooddpdcVIPDined on 7/10/2014Cafe Berlin has excellent German food and a terrific selection of German beer - a good place to enjoy dinner with friends.Special Features:
- very accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014Good food, great service. It was pouring rain, I was walking and missed the place. My guest was also late, but everyone was accommodating. Food was excellent as well. Just like a German Gasthaus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- German?WolfytooDined on 7/6/2014Knowing German food very well, I would say this over salted, mushy food is not even close to German. Ok outdoor seating. Fair wine and beer list.Special Features:
- Excellemt!TheHFamily1Dined on 7/5/2014We love going to Cafe Berlin! We make the drive there a few times a year and it would be more if we didn't live over an hour or more away. The food is delicious and very authentic!Special Features:
- ok yes -not exactly"haute cuisine"FoodIsFunInDCDined on 6/30/2014Not sure I would really describe this place as neighborhood gem but it was close to my neiborhood and fit our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningDinahDined on 6/29/2014A very pleasant evening, eating outside. Good food, good service, conversation possible. Nice to sit outside without being right on the street.Special Features:
- a solid German mealKierazDined on 6/28/2014We had a 10:30 reservation and it was still crowded. Our table was available and we had a choice of inside or outside. We chose outside -- inside was cacophonous and it was nice weather. The wait staff was good and the food did the job. There aren't many German restaurants around here, and this did the trick and made for a fun evening. The portions are big, so come hungry.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We loved this restaurant. The food was delicious. My mother in law came here from Germany; she said it is some of the best German food she has had here in the states.....We sat outside. They have huge umbrellas over you so the sun doesn't beat down on you. They have lights in the trees and bushes when it gets dark, it was delightful.Special Features:
- A favorite---AlexandrianDined on 6/21/2014We returned to Café Berlin which is a favorite of ours for a special birthday occasion. They food was wonderful and the service warm and friendly. Thanks to everyone there for making it a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big dissapointmentjplitchDined on 6/19/2014After waiting over an hour for our food our waitress advises us the kitchen did not receive our ticket due to a printer malfunction and it would be another 10 minutes which turned into 20. When it did arrive my pork medallions was actually a chunk of undercooked pork. We decided to take our dessert to go but unfortunately there was not one German dessert on the menu. Apple streudel and German chocolate cake ONLY on weekends!!!! On a positive note we were offered a complimentary round of drinks and my leftover raw pork was delicious when I finished cooking it the next day.Special Features:
- Best German cusuine in the cityblesterVIPDined on 6/15/2014Authentic German food with a fantastic patio to enjoy a beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- germanlassDined on 6/15/2014We had a great time except for the fact that our table was mostly in the sun. When we asked about switching, we were told that all tables had been reserved. But this was not the case.......Not a deal breaker, but not customer-oriented either. But the food was great.Special Features:
- Best German Food in DCDebfromDCVIPDined on 6/5/2014I love Cafe Berlin and have been going there ever since they opened in the early eighties. It might not be haute cuisine, but the food is always well prepared, fresh and delicious, and the service is always friendly and efficient. They just started with the summer menu and the veal schnitzel with asparagus and hollandaise is phenomenal.Special Features:
- good food but it takes awhilefoodloverVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food and beer is good, but it took a long time to get our food. LIke almost an hour. And it was not busy. So I'd recommend it as long as you aren't in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingSueWVIPDined on 5/31/2014The night we ate at Cafe Berlin the weather was wonderful, and their outdoor patio was packed. Even with a huge crowd, the food and service was up to Cafe Berlin's very high standards. Cafe Berlin is always a pleasure and a treat.Special Features:
- Perfect daytravelersVIPDined on 5/30/2014ate outside..Perfect weather, relaxed evening, perfect spot to unwind.. great food and beer. will be back often.. will beinterested to see how it is indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience - Special OccasionlikegoodrestaurantsDined on 5/25/2014The occasion was our anniversary and it was GREAT. The food was great, service was very attentive and the ambiance was what you want for such an occasion. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German food in metro DC7hom7homVIPDined on 5/25/2014Mom enjoyed her chicken schnitzel, dad his wurstplatte, and I my schweine medallions. Outside filled up while we were there on Thunder Sunday 6p. Service downgraded because beefeaters on rocks were very skimpy. CB does have vegetarian selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is under parDinnerVisitorDined on 5/25/2014food is under par. most meat are overcooked and over-salted. Went there on Sunder night, there seems only 1-2 servant. That's clearly not enough. The waiter is hard working but can not handle so many tables and has to leave customs waiting.Special Features:
- 2BumsDined on 5/25/2014Great place to sit outside, drink beer and eat German food! Fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining is Very NiceMikeVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food is good for American German cooking. If the weather is nice, definitely sit outside in the garden. Very nice!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of Charm & Great ValuePlainJaneVIPDined on 5/19/2014Cafe Berlin is hard to beat! Great location on the Hill, interesting menu, excellent food, charming atmosphere, warm and attentive staff! I debated giving the food five stars, simply because you'll never find better food for the astoundingly reasonable prices on the menu. We went with a large lunch group, and the kitchen and server did an outstanding job of turning out great food, on time, for a large crowd. I'll be going back to Cafe Berlin!Special Features:
- GlenSDined on 5/17/2014We had a lovely meal and very nice evening all round. Food was delicious but would have liked a lighter dessert although the raspberry slice was very nice it was a bit heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014If you're looking for authentic German food, you'll find it here! The flavors are outstanding - cooked to perfection. The food is matched only by the service. Warm and friendly atmosphere, attention to service but no rush. Perfect timing between courses. Not sure which wine you would like? No worries, have a little taste to confirm before making a final selection. For first timers, I'd suggest you try the Gulaschsuppe followed by the Jägerschnitzel. Plentiful portions might make it difficult to have dessert, but have it anyway - fantastic! We're here every time we get to D.C. Every guest we've taken here has been back on their own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRosieLuvsFoodDined on 5/14/2014Food was delicious and the service was very accommodating. We will return!Special Features: