322 Massachusetts Avenu, NE
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeberlin-dc.com/
- Phone: 2025437656x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German
- Executive Chef: Rico Glage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 45 people sit-down dinner and up to 60 people open buffet, cocktail etc.
- Private Party Contact: Clytie Roberts-Glage 2025437656x
- Cross Street: Between 3rd & 4th
- Public Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 2 short blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in a residential neighborhood where street parking is typically ample. Alternately, Union Station is just 2 blocks away and has a large parking garage.
A word from Cafe Berlin
Café Berlin has been serving authentic German and traditional cuisine on Capitol Hill since 1985. It occupies the ground floor of three townhouses whose front yards serve as patio for outdoor dining. The interior features a small bar and two cozy dining rooms. The restaurant is located within a short walking distance of Union Station and the U.S. Capitol. It draws politicians, congressional staffer, and tourists as well a loyal following of neighborhood residents. The traditional dishes are authentically prepared with lighter touch by chefs with extensive experience in German cuisine. In addition to the regular menu, the restaurant offer seasonally changing menus that feature fresh asparagus in the spring, salads and light fares in the summer, Bavarian dishes during Oktoberfest in the fall, and wild game in the winter. Desserts which are freshly made in-house include apple strudel, black forest cake, and luscious cream tortes. The bar offers a selection of imported German beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Berlin - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Cafe Berlin reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (85)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (33)good for groups (28)romantic (23)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food!IchliebeDeutschlandDined on 10/21/2014Our party of 5 we're seated quickly. The food was delicious. Would recommend!I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodSharon0719VIPDined on 10/17/2014I was in the mood for Oktoberfest and Cafe Berlin was ready with their special Oktoberfestmenu. Everything was great, including the wonderful fall weather. Sitting outside was particularly nice.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 10/12/2014We were looking for authentic German food and we found it. The service was excellent, friendly, and the food was great.Special Features:
- Outdoor Tent is NicebobeatsoutoftenDined on 10/11/2014The beer selection was lacking, there were only 3 draft beers available, one was banana flavored - Pretty Gross! The food was good. The place is relaxed and you can enjoy with friends without being rushed.Special Features:
- SLARADined on 10/11/2014Awesome Oktoberfest menu!! Wait staff is amazing - Rico and Clytie make a great team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for OctoberfestMKVaVIPDined on 10/11/2014A good experience of German food and beer. The restaurant was very accommodating to our group of 8, and was even able to split the check to our desire (without asking).Special Features:
- We love German food...TheTravelingTomVIPDined on 10/10/2014...and this is definitely the best and most "authentic" we've had on this side of the pond. We can't wait to get back (and it's cheaper than airfare.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service ruined the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014We went there with a group of native Germans because we had heard the food was quite authentic. Indeed, it was authentic - and it was very tasty - but the service was absolutely terrible. After the appetizers were served one of the guests mentioned to the waiter that there was a very tiny amount of meat in the appetizer. The waiter said he'd see what could be done and simply never came back. We received our food from another waiter than the one we ordered from almost 45 minutes after ordering. It was embarrassing, frankly, and really spoiled what could have been a very lovely evening.
- Second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014We first lucked into this restaurant by finding it in the AAA travel Guide and took friends to lunch There. We went back a second time with other Friends and had another great meal. All loved our entrees, Beer and service. Enjoy the patio in good weather.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Food I had was very good and there are many options for those who want to explore German cuisine. If you are not a fan of German food, probably not the place for you, though there is enough variety to please most. Service was perfect combination of attentive and low-key.Special Features:
- Delightful and DeliciousbeenthereDined on 10/5/2014A beer and a meal in the outside beer garden make Cafe Berlin a favorite place on the Hill. Seasonal beers on tap and a basic menu with specials make it a reliable place for a festive time and a tasty meal. On weekend both brunch and dinner are available so members of the party can choose their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeatable goodnessPatriot522Dined on 10/1/2014There for wife's 55th birthday with her parents and kids. Berlin Cafe is constantly a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome Food!TBONEDined on 9/28/2014I really enjoy this restaurant, I typically am not a fan of Sidewalk eateries, there is some good shade and it is in a quiet area which makes it enjoyable at anytime.Special Features:
- Great start to the Oktoberfest menuJadePlantDined on 9/20/2014Went to relax outside before it got too cool at night - everything was as expected - German food, german music (sort of) and good German beer. The patio is lovely - make reservations!Special Features:
- OktoberfestkjgardnerDined on 9/20/2014Our party of 3 visited the restaurant on the first day of Oktoberfest 2014. We had hoped to be able to sit outside under the tent with the music, but they told us we would have to wait half an hour at least. Perhaps I should have specified outdoor seating when making the reservation? In any event, we were seated inside, next to the serving station. It was definitely not as festive, but we did enjoy the Oktoberfest beers (Paulaner and Spaten) and the special menu offerings such as the Scheinebraten (roast pork). The service was very good even though the restaurant was busy, and the servers looked great in their Bavarian-style clothing.Special Features:
- Oktoberfest timetpetchyDined on 9/20/2014Not specifically planning for Oktoberfest we made our reservations. They had set up tents in front of the restaurant to accommodate those that wanted to be in the "Beer Garden" atmosphere, we did not. The service was excellent; as my wife, not a beer drinker, had tons of questions. The staff, dressed in lederhosen and German style dresses, politely answered anything she wanted to know and offered a sampling of the two types of beer she was considering. The sampling was not a normal menu item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort foodYogiDined on 9/20/2014We took our college freshman out for dinner, and found Cafe Berlin through Open Table. It's a great place for meat and potatoes kind of people, and they make good German specialties, such as potato pancakes, wurst, and sauerbraten. Nice beer selection too.Special Features:
- Crunchy schnitzelpat34145Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to the Café Berlin many times over the years, the last time the food was not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service.VitoDined on 9/14/2014Our waiter Chase was wonderful! He was attentive, helpful, and respectful. The food was top notch German cuisine. We had a very nice evening at Cafe Berlin. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cebrownddsVIPDined on 9/14/2014have been here before and had a far better meal. something must have changed in the attention to detail in the kitchen. the schnitzel had a greasy, burned taste. when i came here several months ago the same dish was prepared expertly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Der KlassikergutbuergerlichDined on 9/13/2014Genuine German fare as you would find at a good restaurant in Germany. Great draft beer selection. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great for an unplanned romance!PatSVIPDined on 9/13/2014Cafe Berlin is that kind of place that everyone should go to at least once. Beautiful outdoor seating area, warm and hospitable wait staff, with tremendous German food specialties. This is German done right. The food and beer are straight out of Germany with three rotating specials on tap and served in authentic glasses. Goulash noodles are freshly prepared, and the potato dumplings along are worth the visit. My roulade was served with a fantastic brown gravy and on the side some of the freshest and best red cabbage I had had in a long time. This is certainly some of the best food that you will ever have outside of Germany.Special Features:
- Always deliversELM040Dined on 9/10/2014Fourth or fifth time we have dined there. I have traveled in Germany quite a lot, and have come to appreciate good authentic German cuisine, which isn't always easy to find in the U.S. Café Berlin doesn't pretend to be uber-trendy, but it certainly delivers.Special Features:
- The Real ThingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Authentic and delicious German food. Friendly and efficient staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodRodbfDined on 9/7/2014We really enjoyed our experience. We wanted something a little different and this was prefect. The beer was huge! Potatoe pancakes and bratwurst made a great appt. weinersnitzel was perfectly cooked. I'd definitely recommend and compared to other dc restaurants, a bargain!Special Features:
- Fantastic! As usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014It was wonderful to be greeted almost like family as we walked in. The food was cooked to perfection and the presentation was great. The service couldn't have been better or more timely. We go there EVERY time we're in D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Authentic German FareRiggersDined on 8/29/2014I got a reservation here for my birthday based on the reviews I had seen online. I was not at all dissappointed. There were six of us and they easily accommodated us. The service was amazing and friendly. Our server helped with suggestions and had no problem with separating our checks. The owner of the restaurant took time to speak with us and even discussed the possibility of special ordering a beer from Austria for me. The food was phenomenal and authentic. The portions were ample. The meet and cheese board is a must for an app. The beer selection is fantastic and the prices aren't too steep. I will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Germany in DCsocr1stDined on 8/28/2014Great German food and excellent service, might have to come back for their Oktoberfest, sounded fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ValueIknoGermanDined on 8/28/2014Ambiance, food and service is what you'd expect in small, family German restaurant. Limited menu; prepared well. Food portions more American than German (smaller), and bread dumpling a little dry, but still good flavor (used good bread). Prices are reasonable for dinner. Nice outside seating area. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great as always... but with a twistMe2BeVIPDined on 8/27/2014Café Berlin has been one of my favorite restaurants in DC for over 15 years. Recently we went to celebrate a birthday--just the two of us. As always, the food was exceptional; however, I was pleasantly surprised that the restaurant has been redecorated and there are some great new changes to the menu. For example, they now offer sauerkraut balls. Yes, I thought they would be gross too--but they are now one of my favorite foods. They're amazing and like nothing you have ever experienced. When we asked our server about the changes, we were told that the former chef heard that the two ladies who owned the restaurant before had retired and sold it to a former chef--so it stayed in the family and with people who love it. Try it. You'll love it!Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceDaveDined on 8/26/2014Food, beer and wine list reminded me of being back in Germany. Staff was outstanding. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant MealDinner4twoDined on 8/23/2014The food was very good. It seemed that they used very fresh ingredients and not prepackaged processed foods. The staff was very nice and friendly. The little courtyard out front looked very inviting had it not been raining we would have enjoyed sitting outside for dinner.Special Features:
- DanielDannyDined on 8/22/2014This is a nice neighborhood restaurant with nice outdoor dining. The service was great. The food so-so.Special Features:
- Kind and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014We arrived 45 minutes late for our reservation but we seated by a gracious host immediately. Service by team approach which proved very efficient. Seasonal beers a definite plus. Food well prepared. Portions hearty but not overwhelming. An excellent spot. One downer: beer prices are very high relative to Germany but average for DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful German Food!AlexandrianDined on 8/16/2014Café Berlin is a favorite, we return to again and again. This was a summer evening's visit with friends, and a nice one, as the food is good, the beer great and a comfortable place to go--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lecker!BonneVivanteDined on 8/15/2014Every so often, I have a hankering for food from Deutschland and to satisfy my craving THIS time, I paid a visit to Cafe Berlin....and I am SO very glad that I did! This quaint little cafe on Capital Hill now has a new regular! The food was enjoyable and the service even better. My waitress, (who by the way is from the motherland!) was attentive, incredibly friendly and very helpful with menu recommendations. For my appetizer, I had the fried brie w/fruit compote; my entree was a stuffed beef roulade served with dumplings (INCREDIBLE!) and dessert was gooseberry pie. Now, back to those dumplings: These tasty gems should not be missed! They are little bites of heaven with dollops of brown-buttered breadcrumbs nestled atop! DELICIOUS!!!!Special Features:
- Dinner and beerMattDined on 8/14/2014Dinner was great and good selection of German beers. Outdoor patio is amazing in the summer, would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchAnonymousDined on 8/13/2014It was very good, except no Black Forest cake as dessert option. I had not been to Cafe Berlin in quite a while and their dessert selection used to be more extensive. Today, they had "only" six cakes to choose from. Since I am a huge dessert person, that was a disppointment for me.
- Great German FoodMhilt126Dined on 8/12/2014Go to Cafe Berlin for some Great German Food. The management was especially sensitive to food allergies that several people in our party had. The pickled herring and the fried brie were wonderful appetizers. Everything else was great, too. Our server was very slow to take our orders. But, once we had ordered, the service was excellent. We found the noise level inside a bit loud - but once the folks who were at that loud table left, the noise level was fine.Special Features:
- Go hungryEmptyStomachDined on 8/12/2014The food at Cafe Berlin is really good -- love that red cabbage! -- but go hungry because the servings are large and are definitely heavy on the meat and carbs (which is pretty typical for German food). Maybe a better place for winter than summer dining.Special Features: