22 Belden Place
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafebastillesf.com/
- Phone: 4159865673x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:30am-10:00pm Friday-Saturday: 11:30am-10:30pm
sunday brunch 11:00am-3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Azancot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The downstairs lounge is available for private parties and can accommodate up to 70 people. Restaurant also available for buy outs. Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Pascal Fosse 4159865673x
- Entertainment: We offer one of the biggest terraces in town...and a huge private dining area...Belden place is unique and famous for being one of the most fun and relaxing place in San Francisco as well that for the excellent quality of food.
A word from Cafe Bastille
Cafe Bastille has terrace seating with heating lamps and a canopy. The seating is bistro style and offers about 50 seats outdoors and 80 seats indoors. The ambiance is incredibly relax and fun. Cafe Bastille is 25 year old and was the first restaurant on Belden Alley. Private dining area downstairs is great for special event such as birthday parties, business lunches and dinners, rehearsal dinners, etc...We also have two Lunch Prix Fixe Menus $16.5 for special daily entree and $19.00 for choice of soup or salad + special daily entree. we offer as well a 3-course Dinner Prix Fixe for $35 (Soup/Salad + Entree + Dessert). Bon AppetitContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Bastille reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (32)great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)special occasion (18)romantic (14)hot spot (13)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Incredible!CTinSFDined on 10/15/2014Was in town for a conference with several co-workers. We went to Cafe Bastille for dinner one night and it was phenomenal. Food and service were both great. Definitely worth checking out especially when it gets dark out, since the small alley is lit up with lights. Absolutely stunning! Just a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!n3llaDined on 9/27/2014Went there with some friends last week end and we loved it. The service was perfect and the food was delicious! I would recommend to anyone !Special Features:
- Outdoor diningPJDivaVIPDined on 9/27/2014It's always fun when you can eat alfresco in San Francisco and we did at Café Bastille. My husband had the smoked salmon Benedict and I had the mushroom spinach, and goat cheese crepes. Both were delicious. We also had the chocolate dessert. We'll be back for another sunny lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfortably closeAreviewerVIPDined on 9/26/2014We ate outside and the tables where literally inches from each other. Somewhat uncomfortable
- Never DisappointedLisaDined on 9/15/2014I like to take local customers here who can easily walk over. The food is consistently good and their crepes are a specialty.Special Features:
- Perfect client lunchBandTerDined on 9/4/2014I recently took my client to lunch here and it was a perfect spot - the food was great and service just right.Special Features:
- Do not recommend this placedisappointedDined on 8/27/2014Wine list was really sad. Service was not great. Menu selections were very limited.
- French "fave"PatriciaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Always a pleasure to take a trip to Paris for a few hours in the cute alley of Belden Place for charming service and good food.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseBKeyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Restaurant is in alley with 4 other places to dine. They all have outside dining, which looks cool at night with the lights. We ate inside as quieter. Food was amazing and service was not rushed. A great place to dine at the city by the bay.Special Features:
- Very good food.NinazadehDined on 8/5/2014very good food, friendly staff, nice ambience, close to work so great for happy hour or client dinners.Special Features:
- Marvelous beyond words!LizaDined on 7/31/2014Cafe Bastille was magnificent - a truly delicious & memorable birthday treat, with fabulous service and great ambiance. My friends from the East Bay have become loyal fans after 1 visit! And I have always adored Cafe Bastille's fresh salads & wine list. They made us feel very special with birthday Eiffel Tower treats, and the 3 who waited on us provided incomparable service. Many heartfelt thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Change was very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I really like Cafe Bastille, but I hadn't been here in a couple of months during which time the menu changed. It had previously been a larger menu with traditional French Bistro fare. The new menu was shorter and more "americanized". I took a large group and although the staff and service was excellent, the food selection was not what I had promised.Special Features:
- Unexpected value in SFRavensfaninSFDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten here before but the menu is somewhat limited. The atmosphere is slightly eclectic with the walls adorned with metal signs from France. Service is consistently good with attentive but not overly annoying waitstaff. We had the special which was a filet mignon with sautéed vegetables. The steak was cooked perfectly and was delicious. The filet special was only $26 which is a bargain in SF. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality and value of our meal. Nice wine selection, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Bastille on Wed. nitebelatedbastilleday2Dined on 7/16/2014Only so-so french food. French onion soup tasted like they added some of the meat sauce at last minute, not traditional french onion soup flavor. Mussels ok, but broth was too lemony, good portion, though. Good filet mignon. Andouillete sausage seemed like a skimpy serving for an entree (only 1)...nice baguette. Desserts somewhat of a disappointment. No sugar cubes in the bar to make a champagne cocktail?? Very attentive service and a nice sidewalk cafe atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Bastille Day Diner!Benjy92Dined on 7/14/2014Le 14 juillet - The diner was great! I was glad that we made a reservation the place was the most packed in the street. The Filet Mignon (steak menu special) was excellent! I was so glad to be able to finish 1/2 of my wife's too. And they had a special French delicacy as appetizer... I'll let you guess. The waiters are French and Fun. We will go back.Special Features:
- Flat champagne, food-meh, bad servibonvivantDined on 7/14/2014The glass of champagne was flat, and had to be sent back. One of the entrees was a mushroom fettuccine that was striking for its mediocrity. The meager sauce was flavorless and in lieu of many mushrooms, there was spinach thrown in, for no apparent reason. (Color, perhaps? Not good enough.) The potato rissole didn't appear to have been near butter, oil, or truffles, but instead were hard, dry and diced. The only thing this restaurant has going for it is that it's in Belden Place, and you can sit outside and feel that you're having a Parisian cafe experience. However, five minutes into the food and flat champagne, all you've got are the legendary rude waiters to make you think of Paris...and even they are never so graceless as these.
- Great salad; crazy atmospheregourmetgalVIPDined on 7/14/2014We probably should've known better than to go to Café Bastille on Bastille Day. The food was as good as ever. I really loved my house salad with grilled shrimp. However, they were overcrowded and the servers completely lost their rhythm. Our entrées were served at completely different times, iced tea was bored into my Diet Coke, and they took so long to get dessert menus to us that my friend had to go back to work. Add to that that The people next to us kept banging into our table. I would certainly go back especially for the delightful lunch outside. I just wouldn't do it on a day when they attract so much attention.Special Features:
- Adequate for a groupfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 7/12/2014Maybe dinner is just not their strong suit....it's better for lunch.Special Features:
- Average mediocre French bistrojaz2020VIPDined on 7/10/2014Tastes like French food cooked by someone who doesn't really know what French food is. Dishes requiring minimal work were fine: the roasted marrow (very good), merguez sausage (excellent). Frisée aux lardons salad: too old chopped frisee, overdose cider vinegar, too many lardons--a salad of excess, not balance. Blanc noir sausage was fine, but sauerkraut was cooked with bacon, a no-no for sodium overdose. Regular cabbage yes, but no bacon w/sauerkraut unless blanched, pls. Halibut "special" was anything but--not fresh, overcooked, too much black pepper, mushy interior, sauce was too little lemon & too much butter--again, an excess instead of balance. Crepes Suzette was good, not great; coffee was excellent. Cute place, but misses.
- BastilliciousFromBCVIPDined on 7/9/2014We had one of the best dinners here while visiting San Fran. Our waitress & bus boy were very attentive & friendly. Our meals were all delicious & good portions. My son enjoyed the rabbit, while my husband raved about his duck confit. My mushroom fettuccine fragrant with truffle oil was to die for. This restaurant reminded me of a the French bistro we visited in France especially with the open patio at the front. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday eveningCarolineDined on 7/3/2014Good food and wine, friendly staff, great service, and not terribly expensive!Special Features:
- Still one of my favorites!!Marnie33Dined on 6/30/2014Went back to Bastille after many years of being away from my beloved SF. Still an authentic French Bistro. The salmon special was truly outstanding. Steak Frites, Moules, etc. are first rate and affordable. A perfect place for a casual, lively, delicious evening.Special Features:
- Good food good atmospherecompanydinnerDined on 6/25/2014Cafe Bastille is my go-to for large groups. We always get a table together and everyone loves the food and beer list.Special Features:
- The following 557 reviews are from the Cafe Bastille reviews archive.
- Everything was excellent!JeannaDined on 6/20/2014I took a group of colleagues for lunch and everyone said their food was amazing...including best steak and hamburgers they'd ever eaten.Special Features:
- Just okayAnonymousVIPDined on 6/20/2014I think we must have picked the wrong time to eat here. It was during the World Cup and the noise level was so high, the building was rumbling. Food was okay. I guess there were too many people watching the World Cup, so the staff is having trouble with the food and service. I might try this place again.Special Features:
- ciaobellaDined on 6/14/2014Fabulous food in a friendly and fun environment. We will definitely be returning!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Service, OK FoodInExileVIPDined on 6/14/2014Restaurant was mostly-empty but we were seated in a cramped corner just outside the kitchen, inches from a loud and obnoxious party. No other tables were available? Really? Food was, on balance, good but forgettable. Service was quite slow. We had to hunt down our server to ask for the bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food with outdoor tablesFoodieSFDined on 6/6/2014The main draw for me was getting an outdoor table on Belden Place for that Parisian sidewalk dining experience. It's a fun atmosphere and the food was tasty, if a bit overpriced. I recommend the Boeuf Bourguignon -- was super rich and delicious. But, don't bother getting the whole prix fixe -- the desserts aren't worth it, and the French onion soup was just OK.Special Features:
- 5 for DinnerACTCREWDined on 6/5/2014We were here for Dinner..first time and will definitely be back! Everyone loved their food...fish with mash potatoes/asparagus was the favorite. Onion soup was not up to par. They serve wine by the 1/2 carafe and carafe which was welcome as we don't all drink. The man at the table next to us had the Floating Island dessert....Looked fabulous, I'm going back just for that. One of the ladies was their for lunch 3 days before and said her party was very pleased...crepes were excellent. Wine is fairly priced--a rarity in the city. Waitress was very competent and friendly. A great experience....we will return.Special Features:
- Tasty, great serviceBenTVIPDined on 6/3/2014We enjoyed our meal at Cafe Bastille very much. Service was excellent, and the chef had no problem making substitutions/changes. I had the steak frites which was delicious, well prepared, and my wife had the sole, which she said was fantastic. She has problems with too much oil, and they were able to prepare the food to her specifications. Prices were very reasonable, and the decor is pretty cool, definitely has a bistro/cafe vibe. Also, they are one of the first restaurants to accept the new Opentable App payments, which is a cool service.Special Features:
- food was good but...lychicDined on 5/29/2014I like how this place always change its menu so we got something different to try every time. Food was good but somehow I feel like the food served in the past was better. I tried roasted bone marrow this time, too fatty for me. It's an experience for me but will not order again. Food portion is large and will definitely fill us up. I also ordered moule (mussel) this time and the bowl is probably as big as my head. It's yummy but too bad my friend doesn't like its seafood taste. Keep it up and hope to try something different next time.Special Features:
- Miss the old menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014I brought someone here for their first time and was disappointed to see that all of my favorites were dropped when Cafe Bastille remade the menu. No Spicy Merguez Sandwich, no Grilled Chicken Salad, no Roasted Vegetable Sandwich.Special Features:
- the worst restaurant evermellowVIPDined on 5/24/2014this is by far the worst restaurant ever, the staff were rude, never around when you need them, roll their eyes when you ask them questions, at the end we had to ask the check twice in order to get it. There was a 25 minutes break between appetizer and entree, and there were not that many people in the restaurant, makes you wonder what the kitchen staff were doing??? worst dining experience ever!! deserves 0 star
- Fine reasonable FrenchFrankDined on 5/23/2014Great food, prepared excellently. Good, reasonably priced wine list. Could talk with and hear dining mates.Special Features:
- A Visit to FranceEugeniaDined on 5/11/2014Not quite Paris, but this place makes it feel close! We went for Mother's Day, and needless to say, my mom was more than pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing escargotCatalDined on 5/10/2014Overall, the restaurant is quaint and reminded me of Paris. The food is hit or miss. The beat and endive salad were good as well as the salmon tartare. The escargot was so salty that it wasn't even edible! The waitress was so kind enough to remove it from the bill. The floating island was also way too sweet. I think if they fix these things, the restaurant could be really good. The service was nice and ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Disappointing2darnfunnyDined on 5/9/2014My husband is French and we've gone to our share of French restaurants. Big portions does not make up for mediocre food. Nothing notable. Seems more geared to groups and bar clientelle.Special Features:
- Disappointing!OlgamDined on 5/8/2014First thing, dirty silverware. Food was not good. I ordered quiche thinking that a French restaurant would make a very good quiche and salad. It was thin and greasy. The fries were cooked again to heat them up and were inedible. The bread was good.Special Features:
- Would recommendOllieDined on 5/6/2014It's a nice spot for Mussels & Fries (fabulous)... classic dish that is always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for brunchlowerthirdDined on 5/4/2014We were looking for a nice place to have a quiet brunch. Someplace where we didn't have to wait in line for hours, listening to a panoply millenials and dot-come folks talk about how close they were to their options. Bastile was great. Food was very good, and the service very attentive. I had Smoked Salmon Benedict, which made me plenty happy, and my friend has Omelette Parisienne. All in all, a great way to spend a Sunday morning.Special Features: