59 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafearugula.com/
- Phone: 9733789099
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Cafe Arugula, right in the heart of South Orange Village, offers exceptional dining and service. Our traditional Italian and American menus accompanied by daily fresh specials ensure there is something for every diner. Large, private dining room and catering menus available for large parties and events.
A word from Cafe Arugula
Cafe Arugula, right in the heart of South Orange Village, offers exceptional dining and service. Our traditional Italian and American menus accompanied by daily fresh specials ensure there is something for every diner. Large, private dining room and catering menus available for large parties and events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Arugula reviews from OpenTable diners
- Have been dining here forAvonguyVIPDined on 5/18/2012Have been dining here for yrs, and always get good meals here even thru ownership change. Very diverse menu, ang generally about a dozen specials each night. They do fish especially well.Special Features:
- Needs an update. The placesuzidbVIPDined on 5/9/2012Needs an update. The place is decadent and the food is just fair. The quality for the price is not equal.
- Wait staff was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2012Wait staff was excellent, food was excellent. Would definetly return again and would recommend to family and friends.Special Features:
- Appetizer salads were veryMax15VIPDined on 3/31/2012Appetizer salads were very good. Entree pasta dishes were under-seasoned & kind of boring.Special Features:
- The food at Cafe Arugula isLindaDined on 3/17/2012The food at Cafe Arugula is consistently good, but the service is often lacking.Special Features:
- Our food and service was excellent.TioPeteVIPDined on 3/11/2012Our food and service was excellent. That's why we continue to return after more than a dozen years.Special Features:
- The food is excellent andmelgodyVIPDined on 3/10/2012The food is excellent and the portions are good sized. The chef is very accommodating in that they will change any dish to your liking. The problem was the service. We had to ask twice for bread. My husband ordered soup and an appetizer. They never brought his appetizer. I will go back because it is usually very good. I also like that it is BYOB.Special Features:
- Cafe Arugula never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/4/2012Cafe Arugula never disappoints - whether for a romantic dinner with my husband, family dinner with the kids or lunch with my college roommates. Consistently fresh and delicious food and attentive service. The decor could use some sprucing - it is dated and tired, but that might add to the charm.Special Features:
- We had a very nice DinnertomfromwoVIPDined on 3/3/2012We had a very nice Dinner Saturday at Cafe Arugula. Have not been there in a while but will definitely plan on returning again.Special Features:
- The food was very good atdocrockDined on 2/14/2012The food was very good at Cafe Arugula. My wife had the Veal Balsamic, which was an unusual combination, but very good. I had their ravioli, and it was quite delicious. Salads were large, so they could be easily shared. The major problem was the service out of the kitchen. We went on Valentine's Day, and the restaurant was not crowded. They had enough wait staff, but the waitress informed us that the kitchen was understaffed - some no shows. The result was a fairly slow meal for us, but for the next table, it was a disaster. They waited for over an hour for just the salad (which we got right away) and when they asked to speak to the manager, he never showed. If they get their act together with staffing, could be a very good place.Special Features:
- Went for Valentines day.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2012Went for Valentines day. The food was only fair despite everything sounding good. Service was slow despite the restaurant being less than half full. The waitress was completely unable to remember anything about the menu or our order and had to repeatedly come back for clarification. Disappointed.
- Not what it used to be....TonyenycDined on 2/4/2012We used to LOVE Cafe Arugula and would go there once a month. It always had a vibrant feel to it, very hip. The food was always good. Well, not so much any more. Our waitress was fantastic - so attentive, but the food was just okay. My daughter ordered the gnocchi and it was in huge pieces and very mushy with barely any sauce on it. We all tasted it (there were 5 of us) and none of us liked it. My chicken piccata was good, but a bit cold when it arrived. The swordfish special was absolutely delicious. But all in all, this restaurant is just not what it used to be. After reading the other reviews I decided to go in with an open mind but left there agreeing with many people below.Special Features:
- Reliably DelectableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2012Cafe Arugula has been around for awhile, and it's in the midst of reinventing itself. Always popular, its service can suffer a little when it's full, but we have always found the servers helpful and friendly. The food is excellent most of the time, but some missteps here and there prevent me from giving it a consistent rating of excellent. The crab cake appetizer, branzini special with olives, garlic and tomato, and a spinach fettuccine with lobster in a creamy parmesan sauce stood out on our last visit. But dry bread and an under-sauced lasagne bolognese were just slightly disappointing. Overall, a great local eatery we return to again and again.Special Features:
- We had a nice lunch there,foodHungryBird13Dined on 1/25/2012We had a nice lunch there,food was very good. I would recommend my friend to go there.the look of the Front of restaurant was a little disappointing, but if you walk inside,it was very nicely decorated with the table cloth and the wall decor was very unusual,I wonder who paint that picture on the wall.Special Features:
- Mussels appetizer, salmonjessieDined on 12/31/2011Mussels appetizer, salmon entree & apple pie were delicious. Crab cakes and seafood salad only so-so.
- The food was excellent, preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2011The food was excellent, prepared well and served beautifully. The restaurant was not too crowded at lunchtime so I really can't tell about the noise level or the service when it is crowded, but I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- decor needs refreshing. servicehappymomDined on 12/3/2011decor needs refreshing. service was ok. the busboys were clueless. food was ok, we have had better at the same restaurant. we wanted to try it because of the new owners. the fish specials were overpriced so opted for a menu selection. there are too many other restaurants in the area to try before i would run back. the plus is byo.
- kitchen seemed off. WaiterrobwVIPDined on 11/19/2011kitchen seemed off. Waiter delivered a soup to someone who didn't order it. Waitress gave us our bill andundercharged us 80.We called it toher attention
- My boyfriend and I enjoyedLetseatVIPDined on 11/19/2011My boyfriend and I enjoyed this restaurants atmosphere and food. Nice place to have dinner in South Orange. They were very busy on Saturday night so I will say that is their excuse for slow service. But everything else was very good. We also love thats its a BYO.Special Features:
- Good food , poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Good food , poor service. Ice cream was not good " iced"Special Features:
- Dissapointing dinnerEkatVIPDined on 10/22/2011Disapointing dinner. I ordered the snapper special which was so suppused to have crabmeat, it did not. 2 dinners came out and the 3rd was deliverd 5-10 minutes later. All the help seemed harried and there was alot of argueing amongst them. They didnt clear the table and left shrimp shells on the table ontop of the breadbasket untill we left. Ordered espresso and was told the machine broke.Ordered tiramasu and the waiter came back to say they were all out(at 8:00 on a Sat). Then saw a cappuccino being served. Needless to say we wont be going back.
- First time at Cafe ArugulaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2011First time at Cafe Arugula was a real treat. They are under new management, and I was very impressed with some of the changes they made. The new owner and manager are great, as are the servers. The food is fantastic, we had the Short Ribs special, Branzino and Colorado Rack of Lamb. Everything was perfect, definitely recommend the place!Special Features:
- Wonderful food, however, it'sBobDDined on 9/24/2011Wonderful food, however, it's just to noisy to hold a conversation.
- We've been going to Cafe ArugulaRobobVIPDined on 9/24/2011We've been going to Cafe Arugula since it opened. We stopped going around 1 1/2 years ago because it had deteriorated. We started going back a month ago. The food is what it used to be, however the noise level was so loud we could barely have a conversation. The new owner needs to get rid of the music on Saturday nights, redecorate, and do something about the noise.
- Cafe Arugula's food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2011Cafe Arugula's food and service is consistently good.Special Features:
- No reason not to go.amywestvillageVIPDined on 9/16/2011good extensive menu, with something for even the most picky eaters. The desserts are fun, decadent and delicious!
- Acceptable, both in priceMaterbaMeDined on 9/2/2011Acceptable, both in price and presentation/taste. Service was decent.
- Very fine menu and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2011Very fine menu and service. It would be nice if they had a liquor license, at least for wine.Special Features: