640 North Highland Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cafe640.com/
- Phone: 4047240711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Long
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Call us for Private parties !!
- Private Party Contact: Joe D'Amelio 4047240711
A word from Cafe 640
Cafe di Sol/Cafe'640, located just south of Ponce de Leon on N. Highland Ave, is the Poncey Highlands destination for a refreshing take on cafe style dining. Enjoy casual dining under our heated outdoor patio or dine inside where a warm, inviting atmosphere compliments Chef Andy Long's impressive menu. Winner: Best Signature Drink for Grapefruit Rosewater Martini 2006 Creative Loafing Critics' Choice and People's Choice, 2007 Creative Loafing Critics Choice and People's Choice Winner: Best BurgerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe 640 reviews from OpenTable diners
- porchetta sandwich a must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2012Third time eating here. My girlfriend and I went for 'brunch.' She had an omlett and mimossa. I had a bloody mary (a good one at that) and the new porchetta sandwich which was amazing. Service was friendly and efficient. Really like this place. Also the housemade applebutter was great (happy to pay the .50 extra.)Special Features:
- Great food and service. StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2012Great food and service. Staff was excellent; extremely professional and attentive. The patio has a great feel and the lighting is perfect. Only complaint would be that the chairs are a little uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Friendly staff, our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2012Friendly staff, our server Russ was outstanding as well as the food! Great place!Special Features:
- Good food, Good Service, Laid BackOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2012Went for a mid afternoon lunch. Sat on the shaded patio which is a great atmosphere. Opted to have a few glasses of wine rather than going for the half off wine Wednesday deal (but good to know they have it). Antipasto board was a perfect lunch and my girlfriend had a salad with salmon which was cooked perfectly. Service was friendly and efficient. My only complaint is I would prefer a better wine glass, but I can get over that. Definitely going back at some point to try brunch as well.Special Features:
- Visited for Brunch early SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2012Visited for Brunch early Sunday morning before the crowd got in. Food and Service was great. Loved the music.Planning on coming back to enjoy againSpecial Features:
- Sunday brunch on the outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2012Sunday brunch on the outdoor patio area was nice. The food is quite good but it's not gourmet dining. I would call it more of a wholesome and tasty filling meal than anything. The outdoor seating area is nice and far enough from passing traffic to avoid that seated in the street feeling. I think this place is a good value. Service was fine for a brunch setting but nowhere near what I would expect at a fine dining dinner.Special Features:
- We had a large party and werealiciaDined on 8/19/2012We had a large party and were automatically forced to pay 20% gratuity. Gratuity should be discretionary, based on quality of service.I can understand a base of 15%, then allowing the consumer to choose the extra. We went to a fine dining restaurant 2 days before and were not forced to pay 20%, only 18%. The service and all around experience was top notch. Of course we added more dbt choice. Its almost offensive to have to pay 20% at a more casual restaurant and not have a choice.Special Features:
- The "Special" burger withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012The "Special" burger with BBQ onions & pork belly was fantastic! And the French Dip was delicious. Both came with shoestring fries that are amazing. We also had the crab cakes but we didn't care for those. Personal preference.Special Features:
- A really nice place!!! Great,greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2012A really nice place!!! Great,great service!! I'll be back for Brunch!!Special Features:
- Buyer beware...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012The food was good, but the service was AWEFUL! We had a party of 10, they automatically add gratuity at 20%!!! Unheard of! We got 10% percent service. It was like our server didn't care cause she knew she was getting paid. I should have said something to the manager, but my family was there and I didn't want to make a stink. : ( It was my b-day dinner too. Couldn't eat dessert, because no one bussed the table. We didn't even want it after all that. Maybe this is a good restaurant for a two top or four, but not large parties. To be honest, it was our server. There was another 10 top in there that had a great server. You need to hire bus boys and tip them out of the 20% grat that you add to the large parties.
- Great service!! our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2012Great service!! our server Amanda was just amazing. Noise level could be better. There was a band playing and it was just too loud. But everything else was great.Special Features:
- Me and my 3 sisters took myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2012Me and my 3 sisters took my dad here in Father'sDay. We made reservations and they had our table ready when we got there and let 3 of us sit down before the rest of the party was there which was nice because one of us is always running late. Everyone ordered breakfast items for brunch and raved about the crab cake Benedict. I got the cafe burger and it was amazing. The music outside That was playing was a little strange but other than that it was great. I would definitely recommend going for brunch.Special Features:
- These guys are meticulousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/27/2012These guys are meticulous about their food. Great spot!Special Features:
- We love this place, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/20/2012We love this place, great for brunch and wine Wednesdays!Special Features:
- It was a bit loud and we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012It was a bit loud and we were ignored a little too much but we still managed to enjoy ourselves....everything else was great...we would come back.Special Features:
- I had a good time here. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012I had a good time here. The antipasto appetizer was really good. I liked the beer selection and really liked the bartender, she was really nice. I should of went with her recommendations of the hanger steak and arugala salad. I got the reuben and it was good. I'm just a reuben snob, haha.Special Features:
- The place has great potentialFoodieVIPDined on 5/6/2012The place has great potential and an awesome patio but the food almost always fails and the service is pretty unreliable. It's a shame because every time I want to give it another try but every time I leave disappointed.Special Features:
- LOUD MUSIC. used to be niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/13/2012LOUD MUSIC. used to be nice and quiet inside but the music is now so loud that sitting outside is the only way to hear your dining partners. And the loud music isn't very good, so that's a double whammy. I would've checked off romantic, but that's no longer the case.Special Features:
- Food was good. not locatedEddieDined on 3/31/2012Food was good. not located in the best spot for me. Asked for money when leaving by a homeless person.Special Features:
- Great Patio...SLOW service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/30/2012My friend and I went around 1:30 on Friday so not a completely off time, but not the busiest time either. Our service was SO slow! I didn't have water for at least 15 minutes and everything just seemed to take forever. My friend and I both ordered salads and when mine came out it was wrong. I had asked for grilled chicken on top and it wasn't there...so I REALLY don't know why our order took so long since they didn't have to cook anything. I am really sad that we had such poor service because they have a wonderful covered patio which is perfect for this nice weather and they allow dogs on the patio which is a huge plus. I just don't see myself going back for quite a while.Special Features:
- The service this time wasLauren29Dined on 3/14/2012The service this time was a bit slower than usual, and we would have liked our server to be more attentive. But, overall, it was good food and good ambiance as it has been for years.
- Our food was great but itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/11/2012Our food was great but it took a really long time to get it. The service was just fair. I love the look/feel of the restaurant and the food. I would definitely recommend their brunch as long as you aren't in a hurry.Special Features:
- Positives: Waiter was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2012Positives: Waiter was very friendly, food was amazing, Negatives: Tables were way to close together and very uncomfortable, took us over an hour to get our food after we ordered. Probably would have been a better idea to go at a different time.
- Brunch selections were greatLRodDined on 2/19/2012Brunch selections were great and equally tasty! A bit loud, but service was very good.Special Features:
- Too loud for the elderlyladolcevitaatlantaVIPDined on 2/19/2012Food was good and the service was friendly, but unfortunately the noise level would keep me from a repeat visit because I couldn't hear the conversation. It would probably be a fun, casual place to hang and eat for 20-35 year olds, but not a good place to take your elderly mom to brunch.
- The food was pretty solid,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/18/2012The food was pretty solid, but the atmosphere was terrible. With a reservation, we were sat at a table right in front of the entrance door. I could touch the host stand from my seat. It was so loud there that we asked to be moved,and all they had were covered outdoor tables. We took one, knowing it would be cold, but not knowing that we would be completely sacrificing service. By moving to a table 10 ft. away from our original one, our server must've thought we left. We only saw him twice more through the night, and in both cases, it was long after he was needed. Again, the food was good-very good, and maybe it was just a bad night, but I will think twice about going again.
- The location of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/17/2012The location of the restaurant is its main attraction - right in the middle of the Poncey Highlands area and within walking distance of other restaurants and shopping. We've been already a few times mainly for their burger which was delicious. The service was variable - some service was good, some others not.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/13/2012Great place for dinner before a movie at the Plaza. Special grapefruit/rose martini was excellent. Onion soup was divine. Server was attentive w/o hovering and very friendly and knowledgeable. Not crowded on a Monday night.Special Features:
- Our reservation was honored,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/12/2012Our reservation was honored, BUT, it was very crowded, noisy, and it took almost an hour to get an omelet. Not heading back any time soon!
- Outstanding restaurant! MenuFlyguyDined on 2/11/2012Outstanding restaurant! Menu was creative and well thought out. Food was delivered hot and well plated. Service was outstanding. We went back the very next day!Special Features:
- cheersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/4/2012service and food were great. drinks spectacular!!!Special Features:
- New favorite neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2012I have been passing by Cafe 640 for a few months now intending to try it "one of these days." Well, that day was last Wednesday, and we were so impressed! It was early and the dining room was practically empty, but everything else was superb: food, wine, service. We took advantage of their Wine Wednesday offer and had a very nice bottle of French pinot noir for only $15. A very pleasant surprise! And we went back again THIS Wednesday! Although everything was very tasty, I want to especially recommend the ropa vieja appetizer. Having had this dish as an entree in San Juan, PR, and again elsewhere in Atlanta, this appetizer version did not disappoint!Special Features:
- Yummy brunch :)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2012Server was fast and efficient with drinks. Other servers stopped by when it looked like we needed something. We had some late RSVPs and they changed the reservation an hour before no problem. The food was a little slow, but they were packed and we were a big group with some latecomers. The server was great with a group and split our checks (without having to be asked!) despite the menu saying no separate checks. Overall good friendly service and yummy grits!Special Features:
- NEVER AGAINOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2012Physical environment totally uncomfortable: patio door SLAMMED with every entrance and departure --we were moved to the inside dark room where the noise level was so loud I had to lip read converstion and left with a headache. Although the Open Table Resevation DID get my party seated quickly our food was actually SERVED an hour later. Food was very mediocre.
- Excellent food and drink!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012Excellent food and drink!! Service was slow but there were several large parties. Service was friendly and knowledgeable. Place is WAY to noisy due to many hard surfaces and no sound break to quiet large party noise. A little sound deadening material would help a LOT!Special Features:
- It was just ok. The truffleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2012It was just ok. The truffle mac n cheese was amazing but everything else we had was just ok. Service and ambiance were good.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in the Poncey-HighlandsMidtownStaceDined on 1/26/2012My boyfriend and I stopped my Cafe 640 before heading to the Plaza for a movie. We started with the home made potato chips which included sweet potato chips with melted Gorgonzola and sriracha hot sauce. They were amazing! My boyfriend had the catfish sandwich and I had the turkey burger with surprisingly yummy brussel sprouts. For drinks, we enjoyed a few beers from the concise but well stocked beer menu and enjoyed the rosewater grapefuit martini. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Not heading back any time soon...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/15/2012We went for brunch. This place was loud and reminded me of a college cafeteria. The drinks were pretty good but the food was mediocre and the ambiance and service were terrible. I won't be heading back there any time soon.
- Good food, great service!PissedbirthdayboyDined on 1/14/2012Good food, great service! plenty of tv's and good mix of music playing, not to loud. Great setting, really enjoyed this place...Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/14/2012I came with my boyfriend for date night. He was thrilled to see the humungous large screen projector showing the NFL playoffs. We really enjoyed the atmosphere of this place and the grapefruit martinis were fantastic! We both ordered burgers and fries which were tasty. Our server was very laid back and casual but also attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features: