4 Market Square
Knoxville, TN 37902Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cafe4ms.com/
- Phone: (865)544-4144
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 7:00 AM- 9:30 PM
Friday 7:00 AM-10:30 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM-10:30 PM
Sunday 9:00 AM-8:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Lori Klonaris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin McCall 8655444199
A word from Cafe 4
Café 4 is Knoxville's Hotest Downtown dining and entertainment experience. Come enjoy our true urban retreat, featuring Traditional Southern Comfort Foods with a Twist. Create memories in our comfortable dining room or relax on our heated and cooled outdoor patio overlooking the bustling Historic Market Square. Savor an entrée from our always-changing "seasonal menu", featuring Chef inspired Southern House made favorites. Chill out in the "Mezzanine Loft" for a great cup of coffee or latté’, a glass of Wine or one of 47 unique Beers. The "Mezzanine Loft" features a "Living Room" setting including free Wi-fi, making it the perfect place to just hang out with friends or family. Book the Square Room for your next special event or catch one of our many live concerts. Cafe' 4; a third place, neither home nor work, a place for nurturing community life and creative interaction, a place where strangers, neighbors, and friends gather to nourish the body and build relationships.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cafe 4 - Best Restaurants in Knoxville ›
Cafe 4 reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (27)great for lunch (26)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (17)hot spot (15)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- FoodFantasyDined on 8/22/2014Very loud on Friday night. We could barley hear our own group talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown gem!!TNMENDined on 8/16/2014Great downtown restaurant. This is a must for good food and people watching. The patio is a lot of fun and food is even better. Clean and very inviting, very family friendly. Reservations highly recommended for special occasions and weekend dining.Special Features:
- Fabulous lunchLucyMcBrideDined on 8/9/2014My team and I were attending a meeting at the Knoxville Convention Center and I went online looking for a nice place to take our group to lunch. I wanted something with fresh, excellent food, good ambiance and walking distance from our event. Plus two of our group are gluten free, so a gluten free menu would be a plus. Cafe 4 exceeded all of these requirements and left us full, happy and pleased. Our server, Taylor, was sweet and excellent at her job. The food was amazing, especially the gluten free options. We had the Parmesan truffle fries for an appetizer and they were to die for! We wanted to lick the bowl! And we had fabulous mimosas too! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestMxkingDined on 8/7/2014As usual it was great. The salads and flatbreads are outstanding. Sean our server was excellent. Overall, its still one of our favorite places on Market Square. We love it and have never had a bad meal. They could bring back the meatloaf! Maybe in the fall.Special Features:
- Always excellentknoxnativeDined on 8/2/2014Cafe 4 never let's us down. My boyfriend and I love the menu options and the atmosphere is fun but still allows you to feel like the only people in the room. The food is consistently high quality and the prices are reasonable. This is one of my favorite spots in knoxville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014Good upscale comfort food spot along Market Square. It also has a separate gluten-free menu for those who need it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TravelersDined on 7/31/2014Our table had an excellent view. Mac n cheese was delicious! Great location, too! Will come back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great food and great service. The fried green tomato appetizer was superb, as well as our entrees. I highly recommend Cafe 4!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- knoxcanuckDined on 7/29/2014The food is excellent. Never have had a bad meal or service. Love that it's on Market Square and can sit outside and people watch, or dine inside for a more intimate experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteDined on 7/29/2014Good for pre-theatre dining. Pleasant but overworked staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Nothing spectacular and they need a better wine list but overall we had a really nice meal. Outdoor seating is great. Food was really good. Service was good but not great. Do have really good gluten free options.Special Features:
- Fast serviceThewineguyDined on 7/24/2014Good food quick service, would be improved by expanding the wine list. To few selections. We were there before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cafe 4dininggal70Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I have been to Cafe 4 several times. We have never been disappointed! Great food, friendly service and just the right ambiance for a couple's night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time, Great Find!steakmasterDined on 7/15/2014This is just one of the many restaurants in downtown Knoxville on the the Square, but its menu is so unique from the others and that's what makes it one of my favorites that I will definitely return to in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceknoxfoodieDined on 7/12/2014They lost our order and didn't realize it for about 45 minutes--but were nice enough to comp the entire meal without us asking. The food was great as usual. The salmon is excellent as are most of the expensive entrees, but the burgers and sandwiches are just as good. We started with the blue cheese chips which are wonderful. Wish they had a larger selection of draft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Dined with 6 people and had a variety of burgers, cheese steak, shrimp and grits, calamari at the table. Everyone enjoyed their food, service was awesome, very friendly and just in time with everything. We sat outside around 6:00 pm on a Saturday so it was enjoyable watching the market square activities. Overall a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cafe 4!blondieluwhoDined on 7/11/2014We've eaten at Cafe 4 several times. We love the entire dining experience at this restaurant...fabulous food, fabulous service. We definitely recommend Cafe 4!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6-Star FoodShabotDined on 7/11/2014Service was a bit haphazard. Ordered bread, entrees, and mac and cheese. Entrees came first, bread came a distant second, and mac and cheese didn't come out until we asked for it. Was a bit envious watching server after server walk past with bread and/or mac and cheese and none of it was ours. Food made up for any lapse in service; server threw in some free desserts to make things right. Out-of-town visitor but I'd consider Café 4 for every meal during the visit. Or carry-out.
- this is my second time at Cafe 4julieDined on 7/5/2014we are from Denver. The two times we had visited Knoxville we have eaten at Cafe 4. I would definitely make this a tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!annaromeDined on 7/5/2014The food was amazing at Cafe 4. I had the baja fish tacos, amazing. My husband had an egg scramble, he said it was good. Our server was a but abrupt though. He, I assume on accident, grabbed the menus forcefully from my husband and would slam things on the table. We suspect he was new. It was a great atmosphere! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014Great place to grab dinner. Staff and food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mass producedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014Basically good, but too mass produced to earn high ratings. Some salad items were badly wilted and pork chop was excessively salted.
- Just as good second timeCatMatDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed our second Cafe4 experience as well as the first. We were able to grab an outside table due to the threat of rain and enjoyed people watching on Market Square. We both ordered the Angus ribeye and it was very good ( mine at home are better but I say the same at Ruth's Chris and most places) We had reservations through OpenTable and were seated on arrival. The service was excellent even as the ice in our drinks melted quickly on the warm night.....someone always brought more. Two blocks from free State St parking and easy walk to the Tennessee Theater,Bijou,and in our case that night Regal Cinema. We'll go back.Special Features:
- everything was lovely!fungirlsnightDined on 6/26/2014Staff was courteous and friendly. Outside dining was very calm and pleasing. Macaroni is worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice as niceDoinTheSquareDined on 6/19/2014Been here twice, both times for dinner. Made reservations online once, which was simple and straightforward. Not sure it was needed as there were plenty of open tables during our meal. Food was quite good as was the service. Menu is novel and interesting. Some in my party had the mac & cheese, which is a specialty. They weren't disappointed. Overall, very nice dining experience. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- fantastic food on the squareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Loved our evening at cafe 4. Great food, service and ambience during outside on the square! Keep up the great, consistent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern food...done rightTrac432Dined on 6/15/2014What a gem! I ordered a mac and cheese dish with bacon and french onions, and my husband ordered chicken and waffles. We both commented on how it was the best of both that we've ever had! Fabulous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day dinner - great!TapperMelDined on 6/15/2014Our family of 4 sat outside for dinner and had a great time sitting out on Market Square. The food was wonderful and we were seated right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos the size of a baseball glove!ParsleyDined on 5/11/2014We ordered fish tacos from the Small Plates menu. When they arrived each order was 3 huge tacos stuffed with crisp fried tilapia, shredded lettuce and other veggies, cheese and Mexican aioli. Not just big but delicious. Would definitely order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 529 reviews are from the Cafe 4 reviews archive.
- Perfect dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014Special day with my wife of 37 years and a Jersey Boys show. Had the best lunch at Cafe 4 before the show which made the whole day the best. Would highly recommend this cafe for any occasion.Special Features:
- local customersgeorgeandjude07Dined on 5/3/2014great food, great service. extremely loud. not great acoustics. conversation was out of the question.Special Features:
- Great First Trip!CatMatDined on 5/3/2014We dined there for the first time 5/3/14, a Saturday night before an 8PM show at the Tennessee Theater. We booked 5:45 reservations and were seated immediately on arrival despite it being a busy night . Would have loved outdoor seating on a beautiful night but alas it was full. The place was busy and loud but not annoying. We wanted to try everything on the menu which I would describe as sophisticated Southern with a French flair. The food was excellent as was the service. We had appetizer, 2 entrees and wine for a very reasonable $70 for the quality and went to the lounge upstairs to hang out with friends. Great location on Market Square within easy walking to the Tennessee Theater, Bijou, CLANCY's Tavern,Regal and free State St. parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnermak1Dined on 5/3/2014We ate after seeing Jersey Boys. Each member of our group had something different. I had the lobster bacon flatbread which was marvelous! I would get it again. My husband and I shared some mac and cheese that was absolutely the best.Special Features:
- Solid Dining ExperienceVthokieDined on 5/2/2014Café 4 is probably our favorite spot in Knoxville. Perfect ambiance and atmosphere, delicious food, and great location. This is a very solid dining choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater diningklm1Dined on 4/30/2014Good place for dinner before a show at the Tennessee or Bijoux theater. Food was good and server made sure we were done in timeSpecial Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 4/29/2014The menu and the food are fine but not exceptional. We started with house-made chips with cheese and bacon; the dish was quite good. We moved on to tomato soup, grilled cheese, a strawberry salad, and macaroni and cheese. All were good. Service was decent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac and Cheese Awaitsdubbled21VIPDined on 4/27/2014We are moving to Knoxville and were there to look for housing. So glad we found this place. The Mac and Cheese is amazing. We will be back!Special Features:
- Ok for a bite- was expecting moreBlackCatBitesDined on 4/21/2014Was informed that this was one of the better places on Market Square. Firstly, it is in the right spot. While the server was polite and attentive and the space inviting the food was a contrast of great and okay. The fish tacos were great-crunchy and fresh. The scallops were okay but they were a little tough - being from a coastal town known for seafood I guess I'm spoilt. The Shrimp and grits had great flavour but wasn't finished due to the amalgamation of various oils pooling in the dish- it ended up being a bit too greasy which was a pity. The dessert was great and the wines while limited, were nice and had a very low price point.Special Features:
- Easter. LunchBarbDined on 4/20/2014Even though we did not eat breakfast items, Cafe 4 has a lot of options for Sunday brunch. The prices are great. The restaurant does not put a lot of items on their menu, but the food they serve is very good. I believe they have something that everyone in a family would like. Even though we didn't sit in their patio area, I've done that before, and it's so nice to sit and people-watch on Market Square. Cafe 4 also has a bakery attached to the dining room where you can grab a treat and a cup of coffee. All in all, it's a good restaurant, reasonably priced, and in a great location in downtown Knoxville.Special Features:
- Love this placeKnoxFoodieDined on 3/30/2014Cafe 4 is a great spot on Market Square, whether it's a girls night out or Sunday brunch with the family. Don't miss the lobster Mac and cheese or the weekly stuffed French toast special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.