Café 21 - University Heights
2736 Adams Ave.
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Café 21 - University Heights
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafe-21.com/
- Phone: 6196402121
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Saturday: 8:00am - 4:00pm; Sunday 8am-3pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 8am - 4:00pm; Sunday 8am-3pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday, Saturday 5am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Leyla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We're a family-owned restaurant bringing you tasty catering for events, corporate affairs, and much more. We provide our customers with great food and fabulous service. So whether you need catering service for a family reunion or you're looking for corporate caterers, Cafe 21 is ready to serve you. Call today to learn more about our mouth-watering menu and our top-quality service!
A word from Café 21 - University Heights
Cafe21 is a full service eatery - try our always savory, homemade dishes created with fresh, organic produce from local farms. Or cool down after a long day with our farm-to-bar, refreshing infused drinks made with organic vodka. We provide our home made bread sandwiches, fresh organic salads, hearty breakfasts, and wide selection of organic coffees, teas, and much more. Our heart and soul is invested into creating the most satisfying dishes from the finest ingredients straight from the earth.Continued
Stop by and taste what Mother Nature is stirring in our kitchen.
Stop by and taste what Mother Nature is stirring in our kitchen.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Café 21 - University Heights - Best Restaurants in University Heights ›
Café 21 - University Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (14)romantic (12)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I came in with a restaurant card hoping to try out this new spot. The card states "No expiration"..Although it was a pleasurable dining experience, when it came time to pay the bill..I intended on giving my server a huge tip and was snapped at by the blonde lady at the register..who said they don't take those cards anymore. Thank god I brought enough cash for the bill..I was embarrassed when I had to borrow money from my guest to add to the servers tip. This ruined whatever impression I had of my experience altogether.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014The food is well thought out, full of flavors, textures, and beautiful to look at. Every one should serve food this good!Special Features:
- Great breakfast and serviceMRiveraKCDined on 7/28/2014The place was small and quaint. Food was fantastic. The service was great and we were seated early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forever 21MarrowBonzDined on 7/16/2014That Azerbaijan couple who opened a tiny restaurant @ 2121 Adams Avenue about eight years ago, when I happily stumbled on it while looking for an uptown place to live, blew me and my taste buds away. The soups! The salads! The iced tea in the cleverest dispensers! The desserts! We fell in love. Yes, the place was tiny, but art on the walls reflected the artful creativity of the food. When they moved closer to the home we found, we cheered. This week friends joined us for another dining experience at our favorite place on the Avenue, Cafe 21. I devoured every bit of the apricot embellished lamb shanks, though the serving was enormous. Everybody shared entrees to our hearts' content, tended by a SuperWaiter. I love Cafe 21.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for that someone specialDrewDined on 7/5/2014Treasured local gem for any special evening out. Plentiful menu for vegetarians and omnivores alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly GreatCamonut314Dined on 7/5/2014I don't know weather there are simply an over-abundance of nice restaurants in San Diego and this is but one of many, or if Cafe 21 shines like a gem among the plethora of fantastic restaurants situated along Adams Ave. And perhaps it is location along this neighborhood street that lends the local eatery its familial charm. There are many great places to eat in San Diego, and in California in general; from take-out windows to windowed showcases where one must be as presentable as the food served. But like I say, few convey the charm and relaxed ease with which Cafe 21 purveys its colloquial trade. Not everything on the menu has been perfected yet, but never have I ever left this place unsatisfied.Special Features:
- Not what I expected from reviewsLouieCVDined on 6/20/2014Had dinner with my family after reviewing recommendations from Yelp and Opentable. I am a duck meat fan so was attracted to the fried duck wings on the menu. They were ok, however extremely greasy. The Gluten free fries were excellent, highly recomended. I had also the spinach beet salad but it was so drenched in dressing that it took away from the flavors. The braised lamb was excellent and I highly recomended. The kabobs were ok at best. The place is small nested in the heart of Normal Heights and has a certain flare of exccentricity to it. The servers are nice and polite. Overall, a good experiece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BESTBombityDined on 6/14/2014I love Cafe 21 and each visit is better than the last! They update their menu and presentation constantly so there is always something new to try. I usually end up getting whatever is on special because it has never let me down! Got the salmon special with potato risotto. I would call it more potatoes in a dill creme sauce though. So good!Special Features:
- Consistently amazing!Tracey13Dined on 6/13/2014Cafe 21 is my favorite restaurant in San Diego. I've eaten there at least 25 times, all meal time of the day, including happy hour and it is consistently fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous meal with fabulous serviceFoodieDined on 5/30/2014We had dinner for 8 (which sometimes can be a challenge) but the restaurant handled our crowd and numerous requests seamlessly. The food was fantastic and the service impeccable--probably the best service I've experienced in ages.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood hauntJDSANDined on 5/22/2014There is a nice buzz about this place, local grown produce, neighborhood spot, etc. While the menu was very interesting, the food was so-so, and the service was slow. I would probably go back for a second visit because there is enough about this place to be intriguing, and maybe I was there on an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic restaurantJamesMackayJMMVIPDined on 5/17/2014Delicious food and top notch service - I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the Café 21 - University Heights reviews archive.
- fresh foodlocalVIPDined on 4/23/2014We had not been here in quite a while so we thought we would try it again - nice changes in decor, music and the menu changes from our previous visit - the TAPAS are worth checking out if you have not been to happy hour - try the avocado and the portobello fries, they are very tasty! And ask to try the beet humus it's refreshing! If you try the cobbler, be sure to share with a couple of friends, its way too big for 1 person. Overall a nice dinner and will return again.Special Features:
- Accommodating staffLawrenceDined on 4/21/2014Eager to please, we have zero complaints. In fact, everything was exceptional.Special Features:
- Fatty and greasy items this time8outagainVIPDined on 4/18/2014OK duck wings are greasy at heart, but they could have been crisped up more. They were tasty but fatty. On the half rack of lamb it was difficult to discern the fat from the meat in the soft lighting. It was all one soft fatty mess..... seemed like too many hours in moist heat and way to little time over the grill to color and crisp up the meat by roasting. Was like eating blubber ot boiled mutton.... very dissatisfying and a big departure from other good meals there. We'll go back but be much more cautious in ordering.
- Cafe 21 never disappointsTwobirdsDined on 3/28/2014The Food at Cafe 21 is always superb. Was there on Friday night for Happy Hour. The eggplant fries, chicken crepes and pear salad were delicious, not to mention the Strawberry Apple Sangria. I would always recommend this place to anyone who loves good reasonably priced food and drink. It never disappoints, no matter how many times I go there.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceCaseyDined on 3/23/2014Cafe 21 is perhaps one of the best kept secrets in San Diego. We have enjoyed this wonderful cafe for years--when it was first by Trolley Barn Park and now on Adams Avenue. Excellent foot, great service and a truly enjoyable place to spend an afternoon or evening. We have also greatly enjoyed their art afternoons where we create a painting while munching on great tapas and sipping wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd recommend this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014I'd recommend this restaurant to a friend but would warn them off the very slow service (even when the restaurant is not crowded).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast that lingered.......LocalFoodieDined on 2/27/2014I was to meet 2 long time friends that I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I made reservations for the 3 of us, 9:00am, last Thursday and send them the link. Given that it was rainy, I waited. After 30 minutes and leaving messages on home and cell phone, I decided to order. They called right after I had ordered! Somehow, they got it into their brain that it was for Friday, even though they had picked the date! The kitchen held my order while I waited for them to arrive. We had a wonderful visit over crepes and stuffed french toast! The food is always great. The staff was very kind; the tables were full but because of the rain there was no wait line. I would have given up my table if necessary, but I never felt pushed or hurried.Special Features:
- You can't go wrong with Cafe 21TwobirdsDined on 2/22/2014I started going to Cafe 21 in its first year which was 6 or 7 years ago. At that time, they only had the one restaurant on Adams Avenue. Now they have 2 and will be expanding the Gaslamp restaurant into a new location. The food there has been outstanding each and every time I have been there. Everything they make is tasty and delicious and it becomes hard to decide what to have. The Sangrias are my favorite, always tasty. The pear salad is always delicious and 2 or 4 people can easily share it as a starter. My favorite entrees for dinner are the lamb shank and the hangar steak, but everything is good It is wonderful to see that they are doing so well with a great formula of nice staff, great food and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The signature platter is reallysammDined on 2/20/2014The signature platter is really good and a chance to try different foods at the same time. Nicely seasoned, good variety and prepared perfectly. The only downer was a very loud group making it very difficult to talk to each other or to hear.Special Features:
- Service was great but it all went dBobsezDined on 2/15/2014Service was great but it all went down hill from there...It was 8pm on a cool night. Everyone in the place was cold but the air conditioner kept on humming. The food took forever and was marginal at best. What ambiance? There was none We would not go back.
- absolutely superb!DrewDined on 2/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Valentine's dinner here. Excellent service staff! Tasty, creative menu! Perfect for a social occasion, as well as just a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!rochsaysVIPDined on 2/4/2014I have been to Cafe 21 several times, both this location and the other in Gaslamp. I'm always satisfied with the service, but even more so I've been impressed! The food is delicious, I'm still trying to work my way through the menu because I've enjoyed everything I've tried. The omelettes are great and the salads are satisfying and hearty. Its a great place to have a leisurely meal and great coffee or tea.Special Features:
- Cafe 21 is a true gemCCABDined on 1/25/2014A few months ago my wife and I had dinner at Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp and we enjoyed it very much. This time we decided to try a different SD neighborhood for our date night. The University Heights version of Cafe 21 has a similar, middle eastern themed interior decor but it is smaller in size and a bit quieter than it's downtown counterpart. More importantly, both restaurants share the same menu. On this night, my wife and I shared the Beet Tartare as an appetizer, very tasty. For entrees, she had the grilled Cauliflower 'steak' special, and I had the braised short rib. Both were excellent. We enjoyed our meal with a glass of the pommegranate/blood orange sangria. For dessert we shared the flourless chocolate cake. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014Previous reviews on several forums suggested Cafe 21 would be a great choice- even with high expectations, we were very delightfully surprised. In our 3 day San Diego stay, we dined there 3 times! Loved the "cooked to perfection" skirt steak salad with just the right level of chipotle spice in the dressing, roasted pear salad with the addition of a chicken with preserved lemon skewer, and sizzling breakfast omelettes. Well done Cafe 21!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious neighborhood spotChicaVIPDined on 1/25/2014We just discovered Cafe 21 after driving past it for two years. We live in Normal Heights and this is now our go-to spot for quality food. So many interesting dishes and flavors. Super fresh and tons of gluten-free options. We love the eggplant, mushroom and avocado fries. The lamb is fantastic and shrimp w spaghetti squash also v good (and low carb/gluten-free). Breakfast is also the best in the neighborhood, just have to get there early.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat festOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2014Between three of us, we ordered the Kebabs, lamb shank and braised short ribs. All were excellent!!! The interior wasn't quite as beautiful as the Gaslamp location, but parking and getting there was much easier. I love this restaurant!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place to dine with friendsTessaDined on 1/2/2014I love the neighborhood feel of Café 21 and it unique, freshly prepared and delicious food! The ambiance and vibrant energy of placed is also inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small TreasurewineNdineVIPDined on 1/1/2014This little café was a hit at every level. The food, service and friendliness were as good as the finest out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!SarahDined on 1/1/2014We were greeted by the owner who was very accommodating! Make sure to reserve a table so you can dine inside! We dined from the tapas menu and had so many amazing things: the beef skewers and sangrias was fabulous. However the star of the evening was the creme brûlée cheesecake! You HAVE to try it if you are a lover if cheesecake or brûlée!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/31/2013You won't be disappointed I love Cafe 21 especially for breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for special dietsLeslieDined on 12/26/2013Three out of four of our foodie family have special food demands- no lactose, celiac and vegetarian and this restaurant easily met all our needs on a gourmet level. This is our second trip to this restaurant and both times have been memorable occasions in which we have been served by an attentive and friendly staff and had a lovely evening. Every dish ordered was a masterpiece. We couldn't ask for more. Totally satisfying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2013Unusual combinations, and it works. Don't miss the light and tasty avocado fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a surprising locationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013Do not be fooled by the location next a liquor store. This place is a gem. Great food. Very interesting menu. Definitely a place to go to regularly!!Special Features:
- Very accommodating to dietaryMmmmVIPDined on 12/1/2013Very accommodating to dietary needs. Amazing spaghetti squash...yum! The heirloom tomato salad outstanding . The beet tower Devine. Can't wait to return! Thanks again Adam!Special Features:
- SuziSuziDined on 11/27/2013There was there a group of eight and when we told our waiter that we didn't know if we wanted appetizer or dinner. Without our knowledge he talked to the cook and allowed us to order from the tapas menu that ended at 6:00, we were seated at 6:00. When we were overwhelmed with the choices, he took over and brought us and brought a selections that served our needs. It was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEIGHBORHOOD GEMluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 11/24/2013Delicious comfort food. Small intimate setting. We've always had good food here. We haven't tried their sister restaurant in the Gaslamp District yet. Wonderful persimmon dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets : )CarrieDined on 11/16/2013If you haven't gone to Cafe 21, what are you waiting for? We always get an amazing meal here. This past time, we had the vegetable fries, the grilled pear salad, the shrimp with spaghetti squash, the kebab platter and the flank steak with black eyed peas. We finished with the desert special (peach cobbler) with ice cream. Everything is just so excellent. Flavorful and cooked to perfection. I have no criticism honestly. We love this place and highly, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Spot, Great VarietyJessicaVIPDined on 11/15/2013Great little place tucked into a small shopping center in University Heights. Our server recommended - and we happily polished off - the kabob platter and short ribs. The grilled pear salad was enough for two, and the wines by the glass selection offered great variety at an affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.