Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
5200 NE Sacramento
Portland, OR 97213Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cabezonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032846617
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: David Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Cabezon Restaurant is a quaint and intimate bistro that offers space for private dining that can seat up to 40 people and cocktail/hors d'oeuvres for 50. Our restaurant is great for hosting holiday parties, wedding rehearsals, and many other events.
- Private Party Contact: jackie speck 5035017677
A word from Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
Cabezon is a bustling neighborhood seafood bistro and fish market. Opened in December 2009, Cabezon is located near both Portland’s Hollywood and Rose City Park neighborhoods. Offering “Coastal Cuisine with Passion” – elemental seasonal cooking driven by the offerings of the day from local producers and the bounty of the Pacific Northwest. Owners, Chef David Farrell and wine maven Jackie Speck, look forward to delighting you with their unique menu, and invite you to stop by for our local wood-fired fish and meats, chef made pates, and seasonal ice creams. Our diverse wine list features small hands-on producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (37)romantic (21)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- I love to feast on fish flesh....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014...and so I gathered up my husband and four favorite friends and headed for the first time to Cabezon. Although we arrived early--6 pm--by the time we were ready to order, the two seafood specials, which both sounded fabulous, were sold out. My friend Dave and I had to "settle" for the black cod. OMG. Easily one of the most delicious fish dishes I've enjoyed this year. Maybe THE Best, recalling the lead-off basil-wrapped gulf shrimp appetizer, the cod prepared to buttery perfection, and the pureed potato-vegetable risotto that accompanied the entree. We celebrated Dave's birthday with amazing blackberry ice cream sandwiches made with chocolate cookies. Magnifico. It was my first visit, but I'll soon be back to score a special!Special Features:
- look no further in neighbourhoodlaotzeDined on 8/26/2014Good food and service. Had the catch of the day which was Hawaiian Opa fish. It was very nice. The place was busy, the service was sufficient nevertheless. Dessert was also good. Don't miss this foodie eatery when you are staying near the airport on your next trip to Portland.Special Features:
- Symphony of sublime seafoodExplorerDined on 8/19/2014With the variety and quality present in portland's restaurant scene it is a special complement to regularly frequent a restaurant. Cabezon earns that distinction for both the quality of the seafood and the way in which the chef creatively incorporates simple, flavorful accents and ingredients. Consistently high quality with memorable flavors insures your return. On this occasion, started with two salads, high quality produce perfectly dressed not to overpower the delicate summer greens. The cioppino included a wonderful assortment of seafood in a perfect tomato seafood stock balance. The sweet, milky flavored, salt island mussels accented with heirloom beans and chorizo in a well balanced stock with frites was the best mussel dish ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Nice seafood, short menu1food4allDined on 8/14/2014Everything tasted delicious,except laveder creme brulee. cancel the lavender and it would be Great! My sister had hard time choosing something cus it didn't have much of non seafood options. Just pork loin and lamb leg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmseekerDined on 8/9/2014We really liked the limited fresh menu. The dishes were designed and cooked to perfection by the chef/owner. They had a special of a soft shell crab that was especially good. Overall, excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014We loved the food at this place. My wife is a pickie eater and she finished her dish, which was a surprise.Special Features:
- AWESOMEdelmar2001Dined on 8/2/2014We dined early and with a 2.5 year old:) Our waitress was excellent and answered our questions regarding the fish entrees. Every dish we ordered was superb. The mussels were fresh and presented in a lovely chorizo and black bean broth. Our little one enjoyed the gruyere mac and cheese. The sturgeon and black bass entrees delighted us and we enjoyed a nice salad with our entrée. We will definitely recommend this restaurants to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantJasmineDined on 7/27/2014This is primarily a fish restaurant, but the menu includes meat dishes that are just as well prepared and presented. Everything we have eaten in our many visits has been excellent, but one of the standouts is the Cioppino, with its rich tomato/fish broth and (NOT watered-down marinara sauce) and generous portions of fin and shellfish. This is one of the places we take special guests.Special Features:
- extremely pleasant eveningworldwide1Dined on 7/25/2014I've been several times, as part of a couple and in a larger group. Delicious food, good service, a nice neighborhood feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cabezon Does Not DisappointPablo57VIPDined on 7/13/2014Over the past couple of years we've been to Cabezon a number of times. It is wonderfully consistant both in food selection and service. I wouldn't know what to complain about. My Partner enjoyed his fish entree and for me there was wonderful pasta. Our server was super efficient, cheerful, and knowledgeable! It was a very pleasant evening....Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceNewYearDinerDined on 7/12/2014Another great night a Cabezon. This little tucked away restaurant always delivers. Great food. The Duck Confit rivals the best of France. The Oysters on the half shell are a perfect summer appetizer ( Although I may just order a dozen next time.) They are so good in the champagne mignonette sauce. Easy parking, great atmosphere and great service. Upscale casual and truly a neighborhood gem and very reasonable on the prices for the quality. Can't wait to go there again ..and again !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationelbi1978Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I were visiting from Seattle. We read great reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor and decided to go here for dinner. Wow, I'd give this place overall 4.5 stars. Gin martini and my husband's gin drink - well-made, blue-cheese stuffed olive ($1 extra) is a must! Bread - warm inside with crisp edges, served with salted butter - so yummy Ceasar salad - romaine lettuce leaves served whole with good parmesan cheese, authentic homemade dressing Cioppino - fish, clam, shrimp, mussel, crab served proportionally well, broth is mild and not overwhelming - one of the best cioppinos I ever had Sturgeon - portion perfect, cooked perfect Overall great experience. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys great seafood.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014We recently visited Cabezon to celebrate my husband and my birthdays. This is our go-to restaurant for special events. We love the intimate feel of this place and the food never disappoints. We started the meal with some amazing oysters on the half-shell followed by a basil-wrapped prawn dish that had the most amazing combination of flavors (Thai influenced). The fish special that night was sturgeon - again, some of the most amazing flavor combination, and cooked perfectly. Also on the special menu was Opa, which my husband ordered and completely devoured. We are not dessert people, but when the waitress found out we were celebrating our birthdays, we were rewarded with the cutest little creme brulee cup. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable diningLancastrianDined on 7/8/2014All three entrees at our table--duck, salmon, lamb--were delicious, sustainable, and fresh.Special Features:
- GOOD FIND IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODGoodFindsDined on 7/6/2014There were four of us, three of whom had fish and the other duck. All were excellent especially the duck. Would highly recommend this for an evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful!DinearoundDined on 7/5/2014Great seafood experience. Best Cioppino ever!! Great Black Cod! We usually share a dessert, but they looked so good, we had to get two. We were not disappointed! Great service as well!Special Features:
- Always greatEPFoodieDined on 7/3/2014We've been to Cabazon each of the last 3 times we've visited Portland. The food is consistently good and the ambience is very pleasant.Special Features:
- something for alleatlocalDined on 7/2/2014We had a party of 6, everyone could find a dish including a customized vegetarian meal. Desserts where fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 6/27/2014Consistently great food and service. Friendly place as well.Special Features:
- snow1birdDined on 6/26/2014I was looking for a restaurant to take my wife to dinner. I always research with Trip Advisor. saw the reviews and decided to go there. Parking is a problem. Is neighborhood parking only. I parked on Sandy blvd., one hour, but after six I don't think they enforce. Anyway the server, Michelle, was friendly, attentive. Small cozy place. If you sit at the bar for a drink you van see the chef cooking. The food was fantastic. I had surgeon with a creamed spinach and corn and my wife had New York loin strip with asparagus and schnitzels. She still talks about it. It is pricey but we loved it. I'm very picky reviewing restaurants, I'm the cook in the house, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I'll recommend Cabezon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarvingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014We found this place through Open Table and decided to try it. When we arrived a couple arrived just in front of us. We had a reservation and they did not. They were seated within 5 minutes while we stood there for 20 minutes ( that would be 20 minutes after our reservation time) The service overall was excellent (there were working hard that night) and the food was good as well. It's a small place to arrive early.Special Features:
- Friendly service, food OKOpenTableReviewerFLLDined on 6/22/2014Great evening dinner outside on a sunny evening in Portland. Service was terrific: friendly and just attentive enough. The entree was OK: fish portion was small, and vegetable mix a little mushy. Dessert was tasty.
- Nice PlaceTravlincub321Dined on 6/14/2014We decided upon Cabezon as a good place for 4 foodies to come together and remember the passing of one's beloved Cat Mara.. Wonderful food, great waitress and a pleasent experiance.. EXCEPT the drinks where a tad too strong for us, but we are wimpsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This is my second time visiting Cabezon, and each time the food was outstanding, although a bit pricey for its ambience and location. Nonetheless, it's the food that brings me back every time.Special Features:
- Always a good meal!HancockDined on 6/10/2014I feel so fortunate to have Cabazon in my neighborhood. The service is pleasant, the food never disappoints, and it is fun to see neighbors.Special Features:
- We love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014The food is delicious! The staff is friendly and efficient, including the kitchen. We love to sit at the bar to eat. It is indeed a gem in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It all comes down to servicePortlandSueVIPDined on 6/7/2014On this occasion the weather was nice so we chose an outdoor table (the inside was mostly empty). We ordered drinks and appetizers asking that the bellinis would come before the clams (a much heavier dish). Alas the clams came out first followed by the bellinis that had melted from sitting too long. Dinner was ordered and the steak that my husband ordered was partially inedible due to a large fatty tendon piece. When he pointed it out to our server she just said she would mention it to the kitchen and that was it. We ordered capaccinos and dessert...the coffee didn't arrive till after the dessert was finished (the ice cream was melting so we couldn't wait). At that point our server gave up on us and we left disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, delicious, specialTmeportlandDined on 6/3/2014This place is a gem of a restaurant. The seafood is fresh and prepared well. The service is great. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:
- What happened?wineytheelderDined on 6/3/2014After dining in this restaurant for years, we were shocked at the deterioration in service and food quality on this visit. We waited an unreasonable amount of time for our food; the restaurant wasn't that busy. The wait staff blamed it on a "big table" which consisted of 6 diners; if that's "Big" then they are in trouble. Aside from those 6 diners, there were only 3 other couples dining. When the food finally came, the fish was over cooked...this is fish restaurant and over cooked fish is just unacceptable. I don't know what has changed at Cabezon but I hope they get it fixed. Such a deterioration of quality is hard to watch and experience.
- BCdinerDined on 6/2/2014The duck soup was amazing as was the sole dish. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2014The seafood here is always good and the service excellent. There are always five or six entree choices and a similar number of appetizers. Several wines, both red and white to chose from with prices per bottle ranging from the upper 20's through 70's. Last visited there Monday evening. I HAD A Petrale Sole presented on a Mexican corn cake stuffed with vegetables and beans. My wife had Ahi Tuna with vegetables. Both dishes were tasty and prepared to perfection. This is one of my favorite Portland restaurants.Special Features:
- Will return soonYum1VIPDined on 5/31/2014I was really happy to finally get to dine at this restaurant The food was very good and innovative. Wish I would have found it sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!wellingtonDined on 5/30/2014Why did I wait so long to try Cabezon? It is in the neighborhood, and I wish I would have gone sooner! Wait staff was great, food amazing, drink menu was varied and yummy. A little on the pricey side, but well worth it if you want to go out for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- FoodgameDined on 5/27/2014The asparagus soup is not to be missed!!! We were a party of 6 foodies . Every dish ordered and every drink ordered were perfection. Our waitress was very helpful and charming. But more than good food - we could actually talk to each other without shouting.Special Features:
- nice night outnightoutDined on 5/23/2014Good for adult dinner out. Staff great. Food wonderful. 2nd time there. We went during the Portland water boil order and they were fully prepared with "imported" ice and bottled water for those who needed it. Food is incredible!Special Features:
- Nice mealcjnegoDined on 5/17/2014We had a lovely meal. It was really good. A nice quiet place to have a nice meal.Special Features:
- Portland PerfectionArtoffoodDined on 5/14/2014Outstanding fish and seafood served in a variety of interesting ways. But do save room for dessert as they are equally special. This is a place that one should frequent often.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantDrinkyVIPDined on 5/12/2014Cabezon is in a charming space, the service is friendly & efficient, and the food is outstanding. We had salmon served over a sweet potato puree with spring peas and arugula pesto. We ordered the salmon cooked through and it came out perfectly done for our taste. For dessert we had profiteroles with Makers Mark ice cream & chocolate sauce. It was awesome!! Cabezon also offers nicely crafted cocktails & a good wine & beer selection. The icing on the cake is that it is walking distance from our house.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerToddDined on 5/10/2014We were very happy with everything from the cocktails to the dinner and desert. This was our first time and it will not be our last.Special Features:
- pdxfoodieDined on 5/9/2014We had a wonderful experience at Cabezon. Loved the cioppino!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.