Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
5200 NE Sacramento
Portland, OR 97213Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cabezonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032846617
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Executive Chef: David Farrell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Cabezon Restaurant is a quaint and intimate bistro that offers space for private dining that can seat up to 40 people and cocktail/hors d'oeuvres for 50. Our restaurant is great for hosting holiday parties, wedding rehearsals, and many other events.
- Private Party Contact: jackie speck 5035017677
A word from Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market
Cabezon is a bustling neighborhood seafood bistro and fish market. Opened in December 2009, Cabezon is located near both Portland’s Hollywood and Rose City Park neighborhoods. Offering “Coastal Cuisine with Passion” – elemental seasonal cooking driven by the offerings of the day from local producers and the bounty of the Pacific Northwest. Owners, Chef David Farrell and wine maven Jackie Speck, look forward to delighting you with their unique menu, and invite you to stop by for our local wood-fired fish and meats, chef made pates, and seasonal ice creams. Our diverse wine list features small hands-on producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market - Best Restaurants in Northeast Portland ›
Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (66)special occasion (38)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great spot on a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great time with our friends. Good service, food was outstanding, I loved the mussels and french fries and the onion tart. The margarita was yummy too. Just overall great place.Special Features:
- Best Sea food in PortlandTravelingmanVIPDined on 10/6/2014I judge a sea food restaurant by eating either their mussels or clams. I put Cabezon to the "test". I am pleased to report that it passed with flying colors. The mussels were plump ,sweet and severed with a wonderful sauce. My Wife ordered and enjoyed the Salmon. Our Server who was great, discovered that I was celebrating my birthday , and she surprised us with a decadent chocolate dessert.All and all a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Laid Back VibeNotahipsterDined on 10/6/2014Took my wife here for a nice quiet Birthday dinner on a Monday night. Food was Excellent. Quality ingredients, superbly prepared. We really liked the laid back vibe. On the night we went it was not crowded, not noisy, and no hipster vibe - THANK YOU! Probably much busier on the weekends. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experienceckelsicDined on 10/5/2014Married to a professional cook, it has been hard for us to find a great restaurant that is up to our expectations for quality of food that exhibits all the right flavors and presentation. We had a special celebration there, and are so happy we choose this place. By far the best restaurant we have been to in Portland! The food exquisite (both the Cioppino and the Cascade Farm Pork chop) with excellent wine choices to go with the delicate flavors of seafood. We indulged in dessert (crème brulee, Maker's Mark whiskey ice cream, and chocolate pot de crème) and all three were decadent! In all, a bit on the pricier side of your typical dining experience, but extremely worth it!! GO THERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOMaxVIPDined on 10/5/2014Terrific menu excellently prepared. Seafood salad - terrific. Lamb loin - superb. We've eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. Worth the trip to the east side.Special Features:
- Food & Family PerfectionArtoffoodVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were greeted warmly by owner Jackie, and then given the private dining room even though we had not requested this. With hugs exchanged and glasses of great locally brewed beers and Oregon wines in hand, we settled into conversation with three generations of family, often not easily done in a restaurant setting. The food was as gorgeous as the setting. From the Monk fish, to the lamb to the cioppino everyone was delighted. Our of eight included gluten intolerant people and vegetarians as well as omnivores. All of us were exceptionally pleased with our food. Of course, the lavender infused creme brulee immediately transported me back to Provence! From decor, to service, to food Cabezon was spot on perfect!Special Features:
- Great food, gracious serviceTrudyDined on 10/3/2014I've eaten at this restaurant several times, and it's always been delightful. Cozy ambience, no loud music, delectable food, and very friendly service. The menu is small but well chosen, usually with at least two seafood entrees. They recently added more space, so they now can accommodate more diners and have a room suitable for groups.Special Features:
- 50th anniversaryeatsalotDined on 10/3/2014it had good reviews so i booked it for an early dinner. we had the special smoked trout appetizer and an unusual but excellent cesar salad. they brought out both at the same time. the choppino was fabulous and the lamb sirloin was a little chewy but cooked to perfection with a great sauce. had a great desert and they gave us two glasses of champagne to celebrate. the service was excellent and i would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to reviewsGoodDined on 9/22/2014We were excited to try this place after reading all the great reviews, but our experience on a recent weeknight was disappointing. We found the menu to be somewhat limited. I ended up sharing a shrimp appetizer and it was actually delicious, but beyond that everything was at best good but not great. Two of us had the cioppino (seafood stew) which was bland and disappointing; the fish was overcooked, crab leg was tiny and shrimp were mushy and not cleaned at all which was gross and unacceptable at these prices. We showed the waitress the uncleaned shrimp and expected a visit from the chef, but instead, after we declined dessert, she brought us a tiny pot of chocolate dessert "on the house" Really? We will not return.
- Very Worth a TryJeanandrichDined on 9/20/2014We dined at Cabezon on our last night of vacation, cabbing it from the airport. We thought the food was excellent, very interesting preparation and presented very nicely. We both had seafood - Chilean sea bass and tuna, started with marinated olives and Caesar salads, all very good. The restaurant is small and noisy, a bit overwhelming for a party of two, so go with friends! Our service was a bit slow at first, we had a bit of a wait both before our server came over initially, and again for our bottle of wine. After that things settled in and the service was fine. The restaurant was very helpful in calling us a cab back to the airport. All in all I would recommend giving Cabezon a try.Special Features:
- Surf and TurfOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014Even though this is fish market restaurant, all 3 of us ordered red meat entrees and were uniformly delighted. Our only fish dish, a carpaccio stater, was fresh and lively. Dessserts were decadent and the service attentive.Special Features:
- To slow or not to slow...Oski1Dined on 9/15/2014I'd been wanting to try this place so I booked it for our anniversary dinner…Best dinner of the last 12 months!!! Started with the oysters, which were solid, but the rest of the dinner was on a whole, nother level. Basil wrapped jumbo shrimp had the perfect outer little crust, yet moist and delicious on the inside. For entrees, my wife had the Black Cod and I had the Sirloin Lamb…both were perfection!!! Honestly we couldn't stop raving about it. You know what else we couldn't stop taking about?!? The service…it just felt plain uninterested in us. The wait between each service was much too long and often left us sitting in awkward silence. I would go back, but my wife says likely not. We'll have to wait and see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceGriffDined on 9/15/2014Went there for a follow up dinner interview with a potential employer. Some of the tables were well separated to allow for private discussions and the noise level was just loud enough that nobody can hear you but you can hear each other. Service was great and casual with an upscale flair. We both had the Pork Chop and it was great however, it was thick and a little under done in the middle for my taste. I would go there again without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, short menuWestcoastNewYorkerDined on 9/6/2014Cozy space, with impressive 'Chilhuly-like' jelly fish lamps over the bar. The menu is very short, based on local fresh foods. The plates are just the right size, so you're not too full for desert. Parking is on the street, in a residential area, so you should plan to walk a few blocks from your car.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to please...PDXsteveDined on 9/5/2014I think our recent dining experience at Cabezon was particulary good. All four of us enjoyed our varied choices, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Great place for locals to walk down to have dinner and a drink. A little pricey, and food was tasty. Left the restaurant and was still hungry......Special Features:
- City girlCitygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014Excellent appetizers; nice menu but wish it were a little broaderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerDinnermeetingDined on 9/3/2014I picked this restaurant for a dinner meeting looking for a place with good food at reasonable prices and a relatively low noise level that would be conducive to a business meeting. The food was great, the service good and the noise level was acceptable. If there were one thing that could be improved, I would say the parking. No parking lot and only street parking can make it difficult to find a spot between 5 and 7 as all the folks in the neighborhood are making their way home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of sightPdxpizzaboyVIPDined on 8/31/2014A focus on fish from a restaurant that has "Fish Market" in its name...who would have believed that? Cabezon does it right. From appetizers thru mains Cabezon provides fresh fish prepared perfectly. Seems that many tables around us had the fries/aioli starter, so next time so will we. One item we do always have is the Chocolate Budino...rich, dark chocolate with a BIG mound of real whipped creme that turns the dark chocolate into more of a milk chocolate experience. Four of us shared it and were totally satisfied. If you like fresh fish, you must come to Cabezon.Special Features:
- I love to feast on fish flesh....vqreviewDined on 8/28/2014...and so I gathered up my husband and four favorite friends and headed for the first time to Cabezon. Although we arrived early--6 pm--by the time we were ready to order, the two seafood specials, which both sounded fabulous, were sold out. My friend Dave and I had to "settle" for the black cod. OMG. Easily one of the most delicious fish dishes I've enjoyed this year. Maybe THE Best, recalling the lead-off basil-wrapped gulf shrimp appetizer, the cod prepared to buttery perfection, and the pureed potato-vegetable risotto that accompanied the entree. We celebrated Dave's birthday with amazing blackberry ice cream sandwiches made with chocolate cookies. Magnifico. It was my first visit, but I'll soon be back to score a special!Special Features:
- look no further in neighbourhoodlaotzeDined on 8/26/2014Good food and service. Had the catch of the day which was Hawaiian Opa fish. It was very nice. The place was busy, the service was sufficient nevertheless. Dessert was also good. Don't miss this foodie eatery when you are staying near the airport on your next trip to Portland.Special Features:
- Symphony of sublime seafoodExplorerDined on 8/19/2014With the variety and quality present in portland's restaurant scene it is a special complement to regularly frequent a restaurant. Cabezon earns that distinction for both the quality of the seafood and the way in which the chef creatively incorporates simple, flavorful accents and ingredients. Consistently high quality with memorable flavors insures your return. On this occasion, started with two salads, high quality produce perfectly dressed not to overpower the delicate summer greens. The cioppino included a wonderful assortment of seafood in a perfect tomato seafood stock balance. The sweet, milky flavored, salt island mussels accented with heirloom beans and chorizo in a well balanced stock with frites was the best mussel dish ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Nice seafood, short menu1food4allDined on 8/14/2014Everything tasted delicious,except laveder creme brulee. cancel the lavender and it would be Great! My sister had hard time choosing something cus it didn't have much of non seafood options. Just pork loin and lamb leg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmseekerDined on 8/9/2014We really liked the limited fresh menu. The dishes were designed and cooked to perfection by the chef/owner. They had a special of a soft shell crab that was especially good. Overall, excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014We loved the food at this place. My wife is a pickie eater and she finished her dish, which was a surprise.Special Features:
- AWESOMEdelmar2001Dined on 8/2/2014We dined early and with a 2.5 year old:) Our waitress was excellent and answered our questions regarding the fish entrees. Every dish we ordered was superb. The mussels were fresh and presented in a lovely chorizo and black bean broth. Our little one enjoyed the gruyere mac and cheese. The sturgeon and black bass entrees delighted us and we enjoyed a nice salad with our entrée. We will definitely recommend this restaurants to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantJasmineVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is primarily a fish restaurant, but the menu includes meat dishes that are just as well prepared and presented. Everything we have eaten in our many visits has been excellent, but one of the standouts is the Cioppino, with its rich tomato/fish broth and (NOT watered-down marinara sauce) and generous portions of fin and shellfish. This is one of the places we take special guests.Special Features:
- extremely pleasant eveningworldwide1Dined on 7/25/2014I've been several times, as part of a couple and in a larger group. Delicious food, good service, a nice neighborhood feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cabezon Does Not DisappointPablo57VIPDined on 7/13/2014Over the past couple of years we've been to Cabezon a number of times. It is wonderfully consistant both in food selection and service. I wouldn't know what to complain about. My Partner enjoyed his fish entree and for me there was wonderful pasta. Our server was super efficient, cheerful, and knowledgeable! It was a very pleasant evening....Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceNewYearDinerDined on 7/12/2014Another great night a Cabezon. This little tucked away restaurant always delivers. Great food. The Duck Confit rivals the best of France. The Oysters on the half shell are a perfect summer appetizer ( Although I may just order a dozen next time.) They are so good in the champagne mignonette sauce. Easy parking, great atmosphere and great service. Upscale casual and truly a neighborhood gem and very reasonable on the prices for the quality. Can't wait to go there again ..and again !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectationelbi1978Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I were visiting from Seattle. We read great reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor and decided to go here for dinner. Wow, I'd give this place overall 4.5 stars. Gin martini and my husband's gin drink - well-made, blue-cheese stuffed olive ($1 extra) is a must! Bread - warm inside with crisp edges, served with salted butter - so yummy Ceasar salad - romaine lettuce leaves served whole with good parmesan cheese, authentic homemade dressing Cioppino - fish, clam, shrimp, mussel, crab served proportionally well, broth is mild and not overwhelming - one of the best cioppinos I ever had Sturgeon - portion perfect, cooked perfect Overall great experience. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys great seafood.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014We recently visited Cabezon to celebrate my husband and my birthdays. This is our go-to restaurant for special events. We love the intimate feel of this place and the food never disappoints. We started the meal with some amazing oysters on the half-shell followed by a basil-wrapped prawn dish that had the most amazing combination of flavors (Thai influenced). The fish special that night was sturgeon - again, some of the most amazing flavor combination, and cooked perfectly. Also on the special menu was Opa, which my husband ordered and completely devoured. We are not dessert people, but when the waitress found out we were celebrating our birthdays, we were rewarded with the cutest little creme brulee cup. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable diningLancastrianDined on 7/8/2014All three entrees at our table--duck, salmon, lamb--were delicious, sustainable, and fresh.Special Features:
- GOOD FIND IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODGoodFindsDined on 7/6/2014There were four of us, three of whom had fish and the other duck. All were excellent especially the duck. Would highly recommend this for an evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful!DinearoundVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great seafood experience. Best Cioppino ever!! Great Black Cod! We usually share a dessert, but they looked so good, we had to get two. We were not disappointed! Great service as well!Special Features:
- Always greatEPFoodieDined on 7/3/2014We've been to Cabazon each of the last 3 times we've visited Portland. The food is consistently good and the ambience is very pleasant.Special Features:
- something for alleatlocalDined on 7/2/2014We had a party of 6, everyone could find a dish including a customized vegetarian meal. Desserts where fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 6/27/2014Consistently great food and service. Friendly place as well.Special Features:
- snow1birdDined on 6/26/2014I was looking for a restaurant to take my wife to dinner. I always research with Trip Advisor. saw the reviews and decided to go there. Parking is a problem. Is neighborhood parking only. I parked on Sandy blvd., one hour, but after six I don't think they enforce. Anyway the server, Michelle, was friendly, attentive. Small cozy place. If you sit at the bar for a drink you van see the chef cooking. The food was fantastic. I had surgeon with a creamed spinach and corn and my wife had New York loin strip with asparagus and schnitzels. She still talks about it. It is pricey but we loved it. I'm very picky reviewing restaurants, I'm the cook in the house, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I'll recommend Cabezon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- StarvingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/25/2014We found this place through Open Table and decided to try it. When we arrived a couple arrived just in front of us. We had a reservation and they did not. They were seated within 5 minutes while we stood there for 20 minutes ( that would be 20 minutes after our reservation time) The service overall was excellent (there were working hard that night) and the food was good as well. It's a small place to arrive early.Special Features:
- The following 448 reviews are from the Cabezon Restaurant and Fish Market reviews archive.