Ça Va Brasserie by Todd English
310 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Ça Va Brasserie by Todd English
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cavatoddenglish.com/
- Phone: 2128034545x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday to Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar and Lounge: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-1:00am,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Ça Va’s private dining room offers a selection of Todd English’s most popular brasserie creations, as well as custom menus, artfully presented and served by a gracious staff. The private dining room, which is divisible into three, is the perfect venue to host your event. Whether hosting an intimate power meeting or a large group for a special occasion, the backdrop of the sophisticated garden is an oasis from the bustling city streets. This unique and flexible design provides guests the ability to customize any special event.
A word from Ça Va Brasserie by Todd English
World-renowned Chef Todd English's newest restaurant concept, Ça Va, is located in the heart ofContinued
New York City's Theater district. Ça Va is a modern twist on the traditional brasserie serving
breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a Pre-Theater dining menu.
New York City's Theater district. Ça Va is a modern twist on the traditional brasserie serving
breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a Pre-Theater dining menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ça Va Brasserie by Todd English reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (66)great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (42)romantic (42)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (33)great for brunch (32)notable wine list (24)late-night find (18)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not happyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We both ordered the steak with the French fries and it came out cold , also did not have the butter sauce on the steak as described. They ran out a dish of the butter for the steak after it was delivered and cold. We orders it medium and it was raw in several pieces. They made two new ones which took quite a while and they were not hot either , better and a little warmer but not hot off the grill. They did bring a desert to say sorry but when you spend $113 on dinner for two with one glass if wine each I expect it to be hot. I'm not sure I would come back. The restaurant was not busy either, it was a Monday night.Special Features:
- Ca ne vas par!PassivedinerDined on 9/14/2014I am totally disappointed as I tried the cod but it was smelly. I know it is difficult to cook fish. I was there before for lunch and I tried the trout before; same problem. At that time, the trout was not fresh. I was more forgiving as I came back the third time and see how the fish was done. In my case: ca ne vas par! Also the service was very poor. We have to summon three times between our server and another waiter. The restaurant was not busy: maybe five tables total at that time. It took the kitchen more then twenty minutes to wait for the "pumpkin soup" to be warmed up. That "pumpkin soup" as we were told, was in fact part of the special "honey ice-cream." I am afraid Todd English has lost two clients.
- disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/20146 15 reservation, main course served at 7 35, theater at 8. botched evening. food quality like what you would expect from a big name chef in a hotel setting...manager graciously offered to comp meal, though meal itself was substandard. duck breast with berries, marshmallow, and off tasting foie gras...its a pity that celebrity chefs over extend themselves into formulaic venues that really can't deliver on numerous levels. leave this place to the tourists who are impressed with the name and the flashy hotel lobby design...there are far better food experiences without the pomp in the neighborhood, and a sincere attention to handling a pretty simple two person pre theater meal without drama....
- NJFANSDined on 9/13/2014The wait staff and manager at Ça Va were highly attentive. My wife had French Onion soup, which she thought was among the best she's had. I had their escargot appetizer, which was very good but seemed lost on a large plate. My halibut entree was excellent; my wife's hanger beef entree was a bit tougher than she had expected (the only negative). For dessert, we shared pistachio madelaines with a chocolate dipping sauce, which was a very nice way to finish. Bottom line: we had a very nice dinner, and will recommend Ça Va to our friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJordangoodVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had some traditional French dishes which were presented in novel and interesting ways. This includes Escargots and Bouillabaise, which were both excellent. Service was good and we got to the theatre with plenty of time. I would highly recommend the experience at Ca Va Brasserie!Special Features:
- pre theatre lunch for 4 womenbroadwayloverDined on 9/10/2014My mom, aunt, cousin and I had lunch here before a broadway matinee show last week. Service was great and attentive. I ordered the chicken salad and it arrived with a small piece of plastic wrapper around the chicken. I showed it to the server and she apologized and brought out a new salad. My aunt's hanger steak was more rare than medium-she sent it back to be cooked more thoroughly but she found it to be tougher and not enjoyable to eat. She however, did eat here the previous month and really enjoyed the steak. The manager apologized for my chicken salad and offered us two desserts, which we gladly accepted. They did not charge for my aunt's steak. I would return to this restaurant again, even with our food issues because of the service!Special Features:
- A Smaller Meal That's a Big TreatNancyJaneDined on 9/9/2014I've eaten at Ca Va many times and have always been pleased, but a few days ago I hit the jackpot there. I wasn't really interested in a big meal at that time, so I ordered, under "Fromages", the Vermont, French and German cheeses. It arrived with three pieces of a delightful toasted bread, walnuts, some interesting sweet slices of some sort of fruit (I should have asked what it was but was too busy eating) and possibly something else I can't recall. All three cheeses were a delight - such a treat! The "Fromages" are available as one, three or five choices. When I return in December, I'll order the five cheeses plus a cup of their divine onion soup. That'll be really great for a cold winter's meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to breakfast spotLaurenVIPDined on 9/8/2014Working in Times Square means a severe lack of decent dining options. When I need to take a client to breakfast, however, CaVa is my go-to spot. You don't feel like you're in the tourist mecca of the world while you're inside of these doors. I recommend it to any professional looking for a nice breakfast, lunch, or dinner location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014went with my grandson very nice lounge area with large bar where you can sit and have a dring before dinner or lunch Tje food was very good portions were on the small side but enough. The service was really good and very politeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy lunchJerseyiteDined on 9/6/2014We all had a delicious lunch graciously served. Our party had 3 different things and each was wonderful. We ate in a leisurely manner with attentive but not not intrusive service. It was lovely!Special Features:
- could be betterneilDined on 9/5/2014We had to remind our server several times we had an 8 o'clock curtain, but still finished up getting out of the restaurant at 7:55 [after waiting 10 minutes for the check!]. The food is good, but the prices are hardly "brasserie". [The bar's big screen TV visible to the restaurant seems out of place at these prices]. With its "hotel restaurant" vibe, it's hard figuring out what what kind of theater district restaurant Ca Va wants to be.Special Features:
- Perfect pre theaterFoodiefamilyDined on 9/2/2014Finally, a place that is comfortable and where you can have a conversation with your dinner companions without shouting across the table. It comes at a price but you do get your money's worth. Portions are large as was my martini. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the walk24dinnerDined on 9/1/2014Ca Va is a couple of blocks off Times Square. Perfect for pre-theatre or late supper. They were not at all busy the night we visited. Service was attentive and efficient. Salads were crisp, fresh and colorful. Entrees were near perfect. Lamb chops were tender, juicy and full of flavor. Escargot was not overwhelmed by garlic and were partially out of the shell. The surroundings were comfortable and noise level mild.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014This was my second visit it was disappointing. The food was nothing special - and the service was ok. It's convenient to my office but not sure I'll be going back.
- Sushi but moreRH13VIPDined on 8/20/2014Loads of fun. Every dish our group ordered (and we ordered lots of them) was terrific. Great cocktails. Wonderful sake offerings. We had every dessert on the menu and one was better than the next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OysterponderVIPDined on 8/20/2014Reminds us of hotel restaurants in the 60s------uniformly bad.
- Good for pre-theaterEVFoodieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had a very nice lunch before a matinee on Broadway. Very reasonably priced prix-fixe lunch, as well as a wide selection of a la carte choices. Had a delicious ABCLT sandwich (avocado, bacon, chicken, lettuce and tomato). Friendly service. Delicious, warm bread served. Worth a visit, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time's the CharmMysteryDinersDined on 8/17/2014Tried Ca Va for the 1st time after a Sun matinee theatre performance. My husband & I really enjoyed our early dinner. Service was great. Our meal was delicious. We both had appetizers, entrees, desserts & drinks. I had the bone marrow app. Pete had the charcuterie. I had the lamb entree & Pete had the salmon. The portions were generous, the food was delicious & the plates were beautiful. My lamb was cooked as I requested med-rare. We were quite full so I ordered a latte & sorbet for dessert. Pete had espresso & ice cream. I had wine with dinner. Pete had tap beer. There was nothing we didn't like. Everything was served nicely by attentive staff. The price is upscale. We paid just under $200 with tip. It was worth it for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerAbbieDined on 8/15/2014Great service and excellent food. Had a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Ca VaIrisHDined on 8/15/2014Went for restaurant week. Food was great, excellent service, it was nice that they allowed you to substitute a glass of wine for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Ideal for a pre theater dinner...food was great and our waiter was especially good, informed and amiable. We had a full meal and were done in ample time. Only negative are the number of bathrooms --2-- for such a large restaurant so just plan ahead.
- Still Great!!JoanWDined on 8/13/2014I haven't been here for a while, so i was really pleased to find the quality is still there. We came for Restaurant Week. I had the escargot, beef tournadoes and bread pudding. All were excellent. We will not wait so long to return. It was my friend's first visit and she can't wait to bring her husband. Truly wonderful flavors, presentation and service. You will not be disappointed, go.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2014Ive had brunch here several times and it has always been delicious. This was my second time for dinner and I was not as pleased. I will come back but only for brunch. I had fish and my two dinner partners had steak. We thought the food was just OK. The service however was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceColleenVIPDined on 8/13/2014We went here due to it's convenience to the theatre, and it happened to be during Restaurant Week. Their Restaurant Week menu selections were great! The gazpacho was delicious, and the halibut was fantastic. It really was the perfect summer dish, with an heirloom tomato and arugula salad. Our table had no complaints whatsoever about the food. Our waiter was great. He offered excellent service, and when he knew we had to rush to get out for a show, he was incredibly prompt with our coffee and dessert. The style of the restaurant was very modern, but warm feeling, and there was a great bar area with couches and club chairs. Overall the experience was wonderful, and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful..FrecklesDined on 8/12/2014The food was delicious, the presentation superb and the waiter was very attentitive. The restaurant is very handsomely designed and a needed change from the other restaurants in the area, albeit, it is in a hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch in the theatre districttoblisDined on 8/10/2014Both my friend and I enjoyed the brunch and lunch . The food was presented in a lovely fashion and the food was good. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theater lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014had lunch before seeing a show and my guest and I loved the croque madame and the banana nut bread french toast. Service was attentive but not intrusive, coffee was delicious - no complaints whatsoever. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014It was great to have a basket of gluten-free bread at our table - thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!chowDined on 8/7/2014Ça Va was highly accommodating towards my group of nine people, and the service was prompt, courteous, and extremely helpful. I originally was worried about how things would run that night—I was in charge of both dinner and theatre plans, for relatives visiting from out of the country. But Ça Va's staff took the initiative to reach out to me and gave me assurance that the night would go well. I know that for some places, service tends to suffer during Restaurant Week, but it was not the case here. The pace of the entire course of dinner was comfortable. Food was wonderful, ambiance was perfect, and everyone enjoyed the experience. I would definitely consider bringing others here again.Special Features:
- CA VA BrasserieMaruzellaVIPDined on 8/7/2014This is our third visit to this restaurant and the food is just consistently delicious! Beautiful presentation of every plate and the service is always attentive and friendly. We will be abck !Special Features:
- Ridiculously RudenjalisonDined on 8/7/2014If you don't want guests to make reservations at 4PM, don't allow them to do so on Open Table. Due to my own schedule, I made a reservation at 4PM. I was greeted by the hostess with a look like I had two heads, informed that she hoped I didn't expect the dinner menu, and then, as we were seated, FURTHER informed that she hoped I realized they needed the table by 5PM. The food was mediocre and the service sub-par, though it was cheerful and prompt, the server clearly did not have the "time" for us to do anything like tell us what was on the charcuterie platter or anything similar. I would NOT be returning there, and would not recommend others to go there. One outstanding thing: the pommes frites were fabulous.
- craigDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food, not bothered for time. Chicken confit was amazingSpecial Features:
- Great theater restaurantluvs2dineoutDined on 8/6/2014Found it looking for a Restaurant Week restaurant close to Second Stage Theatre. Great find! Elegant décor, relatively quiet so good for conversation. Beautiful presentation of delicious food. And a particularly great value during restaurant week but we'll go back the next time we have tickets at Second Stage. Thoughful service that evening. My husband was stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel helix but I was able to order his meal for him. They brought our appetizers (his was a delicious gazpacho) but our server held back from putting our main course on the grill until all four of us were at the table. So the food was served perfectly - and we still had plenty of time to make an early curtain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laddDined on 8/6/2014Always a pleasure dining here. The service is outstanding, and the personnel is always accommodating.Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 8/5/2014The offering for the restaurant week menu was superb. The food was artistically prepared. The gazpacho was the best I've had. Every dish was unique and totally unexpected, but oh so good, way above the norm . We have participated in the Dine about Town in San Francisco for ten years but the quality and the offering have deteriorated to the extent that we are no longer interested. However, if this meal is indicative of the other New York restaurant's offering, we will definitely go back and try several others before heading back home to San Francisco. Kudos to Todd English. We look forward to returning for another great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014This is my 5th or 6th time at Ca Va and each time has been an amazing experience. The food is consistently superb and the wait staff is knowledgeable and very attentive without being over bearing. Love it!Special Features:
- Would try it again.trexDined on 8/2/2014Had the Saturday night prime rib special-delicious and perfectly cooked. Sea bass was lacking in moistness and flavor. Skip the salad. Enjoyed the evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Vacation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014This is a great place to have nice dinner. Service was great, the decor was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekokraprofDined on 8/1/2014Ça Va Brasserie was a great choice during our Restaurant Week getaway to the city. Excellent location in the theater district. While we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, the preparation certainly did not suffer. Delicious food and generous portions served by friendly, attentive staff.Special Features:
- Food Is OK in Restaurant Week Menusammo3000VIPDined on 8/1/2014I came here for dinner with my friends. We ordered the food from the Restaurant Week Menu - The entree beef medallions are good, but the Appetizers and the Desserts were so disappointed. I suggest that choose a glass of our Sommelier Wine Selection instead of a dessert for free charge. Services were a little slow.Special Features: