346-348 LaBrea Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cabrearestaurant.com/
- Phone: (323) 938-2863
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:30pm. Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 11:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Antonio Tommasi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Open since 1990, Ca' Brea is renowned as one of L.A.'s finest dining destinations for superior service, creative cuisine,… outstanding atmosphere and comfort.
- Private Party Contact: George Sarkis 3239382863
A word from Ca' Brea
Come and see the new Ca' Brea and enjoy the aromas & flavors of Italy prepared by Antonio Tommasi, chef and founder of Locanda Veneta, Ca Del Sole, Il Moro, and Allegria. Open since 1990, Ca' Brea is renowned as one of L.A.'s finest dining destinations for superior service, creative cuisine, outstanding atmosphere and comfort. Ca' Brea is now the permanent home of Antonio Tommasi, who is "one of the best and most creative of our Italian chefs" (Gourmet Magazine), and has been a recipient of numerous award & nomination including Restaurateur of the year, master chef of the year, etc. The essence of Ca' Brea is straightforward and simple: authentic, yet innovative Italian food and Venetian cuisine. The kind of food you want to eat every day, at the prices that allow you to do so. Many of the Tommasi trademarks remain: a vast open kitchen and the kind of simple, yet sophisticated food that makes you fee like you have stepped out of urban Los Angeles, onto an ancient Venetian canal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ca' Brea reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)romantic (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (8)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014The food was excellent. I was a quiet night at the restaurant and the service was wonderful. I have been here many time and it always lives up to expectations.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014Wonderful food, great atmosphere and even though there was only one server, you'd never know because she was so efficient!Special Features:
- SpeedSpeedDined on 9/18/2014I was not overwhelmed. I had seen this place for many years and finally had an opportunity to try it.Special Features:
- A GemWolfgangDined on 9/9/2014A really wonderful restaurant. The service was great and very personal. Food is fantastic!Special Features:
- gastronomeVIPDined on 9/3/2014Long in-the-tooth (it feels old), fairly empty and pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointedlarryDined on 8/29/2014Having eaten here often, I was disappointed; it was as if trolls had taken over for the night. Badly understaffed, the kitchen's outpit was at best mediocre. I had eaten thyere the night befor and it was a different restaurant; perhaps I fell down a rabbbit hole.
- Excellent food!!!TheatergoerVIPDined on 8/24/2014We first came to CaBrea when it opened and did not return, we do not know why??? But what a wonderful surprise our Sunday brunch. We were the first ones there, so it was quiet (We like a place that is not over rule with a lot of people). We had forgotten what a wonderful place it was. We ordered off both the lunch and brunch menu. Everything was excellent. We will need to return for dinner as we can see what a romantic restaurant it can me at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant diningcomfortfoodieDined on 8/17/2014This is a lovely comfortable setting. Good service. Food and ambiance not quite exciting, but a nice easy place to meet friends and a good quiet sound level. Salmon special was excellent as were salads.Special Features:
- This restaurant is awful, sadlydiningdebVIPDined on 8/11/2014This iconic restaurant has died a slow death. I was the ONLY person dining there at lunch with my business colleague. The service was absurdly slow, uncaring and terrible. The food STUNK. If they want to do the right thing, I suggest they close the doors immediately. It's sad yet true in my opinion. I will NEVER go back.
- The following 286 reviews are from the Ca' Brea reviews archive.
- Consistently gooddowntowninlaVIPDined on 7/11/2014I haven't been to CaBrea for several year and returned last week for a business dinner. Quality of food, service, and ambiance are consistently good and my out town guests were very impressed. Despite all the frequent opening and closings of the trendy LA dining scene, CaBrea remains a consistently good dining option.Special Features:
- 1martiniDined on 6/21/2014We haven't been to Ca' Brea in many years. Food was excellent and we will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the worst in LATiffersluvsFoodDined on 6/20/2014Typically I give great reviews &just don't give feedback at all if I dislike a place, but I felt so disrespected & swindled after this experience that I feel it's my duty to warn others.Service here is horrendous. Waited 10 minutes after resv arrival time to be sat and not one person greeted us or said it would be a minute. Then after we we were finally sat, it took 30 mins before someone came to take drink & food orders.Once the food came, it was so salty and inedible that we could only take 2 bites. We sent food back at which point they brought us a bill for over $100,no apology or mgr in sight. If I get bad service, at least let the food be good.Overpriced for awful service &disgusting food.This place'll be outta business in 6 mos. tops
- eateratlargeDined on 6/5/2014CaBrea is a favorite neighborhood spot that has a friendly vibe and dependable food, but, at the same time, has an atmosphere and cuisine that is fitting for special ocasions. The chicken with the infused herbs and mustard, a juicy whole boned chicken with vibrant flavor, is a standout signature dish. The salads, such as the radicchio and arugula with paramsean, are made with above-average care to ingredients and taste. The staff is friendly and attentive. A full bar, featuring happy hour specials, is lively, while the main dining room is intimate. The restaurant is also suitable for parties and will work with customers to provide a set menu for particular events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GnochiKMacVIPDined on 5/1/2014This is a great restaurant where I have always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. A great place for a business lunch. I did find the gnochi with meat sauce to be only fair.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant ExperienceSmityDined on 4/27/2014The restaurant was excellent. Everyone enjoyed their finely prepared meals and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Old-World Food, New-World AmbianceEuricanDined on 4/25/2014Ca' Brea is a masterful incorporation of classic Italian food, mainly from the region surrounding north-eastern Venice, into a modern Los Angeles restaurant scene. Italian food is certainly abundant, if not ubiquitous, but a menu of this superb quality is still very much a gem. From a marvelously complex flavored squid-ink risotto, to a delectably balanced house chocolate cake with a caramel cream sauce. The decor is exemplary of high-end northern Italian design, most notable being the elegantly beautiful, but nonetheless comfortable chairs. Classic traditions aside, a selection of ambient, contemporary electronic music, ensures that guests know they haven't stepped into the past, but rather live and love their present moment at Ca' Brea.Special Features:
- Excellent foodNieighborhoodPlaceDined on 4/5/2014Great food and ambience at this LA favorite. Service was a little slow but it was early in the evening and maybe they were set to ramp up later in the evening. Nevertheless outstanding food and wine,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Favorite!ChristinaVIPDined on 4/4/2014Had dinner last Friday, and it was VERY good! 2 particular highlights, were the beef carpaccio, and the vegetarian lasgna. The carpaccio had a mild horseradish and mustard sauce that really enhanced the flavor of the meat. My friend had the veggie lasgna, and she was very impressed, texture, flavor, all were spot on! (She is editor of a vegetarian magazine, so she really knows her veggie food!) Prices were reasonable for large size portions, so value was good. Service, was attentive, efficient, although a bit stiff. I had brought a bottle of wine from home, and the waiter looked at the label, then brought us white wine glasses, I don't think he knew Zinfandel was a red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business dinnerfnjacobsVIPDined on 4/3/2014We had a great meal and great service. The restaurant was very quiet - just a few other diners, which worked out fine for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our meal and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014We enjoyed our meal and the service was very good.Special Features:
- over sauced food. the solenightout1934VIPDined on 3/8/2014over sauced food. the sole was so smothered in a sauce it could have been anything..the restaurant is nice enough, just not special.
- need to try againDessertPatronDined on 3/7/2014we walked in and noticed the happy hour times - big plus for us. Ambiance was warm and inviting. My fish dish was very good, although, a little too many veges on the plate. Unfortunately, my brother develpoed a stomach ache right after leaving the restaurant. he had the lasagne. We will try again. This place definirly deserves a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock solidBobSDined on 3/1/2014Very good food, good service, nice atmosphere. Slightly pricey. Fantastic ricotta cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple EleganceLATrioDined on 3/1/2014We were the first customers to arrive for an early dinner. Our party of three was seated promptly in a comfortable booth. Their pastas are home-made; every bite was a delight. My wife had the gnocchi in a delicious meat sauce, I had a very rich pumpkin ravioli, and our friend enjoyed the pasta arrabiata (gluten free version). Salads and appetizers were also quite good. We did not have room for dessert, however, so if that intrigues you, you may need to eat less of the wonderful selection of breads and rolls than we did at the start of the meal. We saw a couple of special entrees go by that looked interesting, especially a sole baked in parchment. Something to remember for the next visit...Special Features:
- an underrated gemlarryDined on 2/28/2014We are regulars here and are always happy with our decisionSpecial Features:
- Can't recommend Ca'BreagalgrrrDined on 2/23/2014The restaurant is very attractive and quiet. However, there were very few diners present and the bar was empty when we went early on a Sunday night. The food was generally average and some was below average. I had the mushroom salad which was bland with a few small mushrooms. The whole chicken was too salty for my taste although it did have flavor. The duck was over-sauced and over-cooked. The seafood pasta had a few unattractive pieces of seafood that did not look fresh but tasted OK. I had not been to the restaurant since before it burned down and was disappointed at the quality of the food because I live in the neighborhood and wanted it to be good. I can see why it was so empty.
- Italian delightrobertaVIPDined on 2/22/2014I hadn't been back to Ca'Brea in many years and chose the restaurant to have a relaxing dinner with good friends where we wanted to be able to talk and not compete with music or other loud parties. It was perfect. I want to recommend the antipasti platter of meats as well as the melanzane (eggplant) appietizers. Everything was perfect including the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past its prime!TomasDined on 2/7/2014I was a regular a few years back and remember this restaurant when the cuisine was one of the best in LA. Now the food prep was indifferent with overly heavy sauces. We had a sole prepared in parchment paper. The sauce was too heavy for the delicate sole. I was delicious, like fine ratatouille, but not a good pairing with the fish. We also tried the filet mignon. Again, sauce killed it. However, the service was very good. Very attentive. The ambience was classic romantic, soft light, dark wood. The restaurant is divided into a number of private dining areas keeping the noise level down and allowing pleasant, private conversation.Special Features:
- Ca' Brea RevieweatthatpeachDined on 2/6/2014This has become my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The service is excellent, the food is always good and the ambience is perfect for dinner with a friend. The gnocchi are incredible - the lightest I have ever had. They also have a room upstairs that can be reserved for private events. Valet parking is handy.Special Features:
- Huge fanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2014I really love this restaurant. I am pretty sure that the goat cheese, ricotta, and bacon appetizer is the best appetizer in LA. One of my favorite spots in LA.Special Features:
- Shockingly Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2014We had an 8pm reservation, and had to check with the hostess (who forgot our faces) 4 times before being seated at 8:40. Though they claimed they were slammed with DineLA people, the room they seated us in was nearly empty. After sitting down, our drinks took OVER 40 MINUTES to come. One of our water glasses had MASSIVE pink lipstick marks. Our waiter was completely unfazed about this and didn't even apologize, or bring another glass of water for an hour. When he FINALLY came to take dinner orders, and wouldn't let one of our table of four order DineLA unless all of us ordered DineLA, because it would be a hassle for him check-wise. 0 for 4. The kicker-our appetizers came at the EXACT same time as our main course. LUDICROUS, the whole meal.
- Good Neighborhood ItalianAnnaDined on 1/24/2014I hadn't been to CaBrea in 20 years and was happy to find it on Dine LA, and impressed that any restaurant could last so long in Los Angeles. The ambiance was beautiful, the lighting was perfect, the noise level quiet, and our waiter was outstanding. My date and I ordered two CaBrea classics: mixed fresh seafood appetizer, and Osso Bucco. Both were good but kind of bland, flavors were not intensified, there was nothing special. The portions were large, and I was left feeling "full" but not satisfied. Nevertheless, I would return again if l was looking for a "neighborhood" Italian and not "fine dining." Price is a little high, but maybe worth it when looking for good ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's wonderful this gem survives.biffVIPDined on 1/18/2014it's wonderful this gem survives. the whole boneless chicken and osso bocco continue to be among the best in town. too bad so many people have apparently forgotten it's still in business.Special Features:
- A favoriteBarcapnettDined on 12/29/2013Been to Ca' Brea many times and will continue to return, as the food and service are always stellar. Have never had a bad meal or a bad experience there. The one annoying thing this time was a screaming baby, but that's not the fault of the restaurant. And eventually the mother's good sense prevailed and she got up and took the baby out. The only other complaint is the tapanade -- my husband loves tapanade and can't it eat because it's too spicy. It's okay for me, but the spiciness does obscure the olive flavor. But all the food we've ever ordered is absolutely outstanding!Special Features:
- We went on what I presumetshakaleeVIPDined on 12/28/2013We went on what I presume was a slow night - we made a last minute reservation and had 5 kids in our party. Since the place was empty we had an entire room to ourselves. Service was speedy. The portions were too large. The food was fair. The ladies enjoyed their drinks. Overall I thought the experience and the food was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Given we were there on ChristmasMimiDined on 12/25/2013Given we were there on Christmas (undoubtedly one of the busiest nights of the year for them), the food was excellent, and the service very good. Also, graciously accommodated my vegan requirements.Special Features:
- I went to Ca Brea for XmasLinzer1Dined on 12/25/2013I went to Ca Brea for Xmas lunch with family and had a great time. We all loved our food. I had the salmon w black rice risotto and it was delish. We all got something different and each dish was a hit. Will be going back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnermysterydiner1Dined on 12/21/2013Overall experience was great. This is our second time back and it did not disappoint. Will look forward to returning next year. Want to continue sampling the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great shopping very good foodFilmBettyDined on 12/9/2013This is a very good Italian Restaurant in a great shopping area. I think Campanile gave them a run for the money but Campanile went out of business. Our waiter gave excellent service, nice old world feel with leather booth. Good for a quiet meeting. The pasta was excellent as was the special salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place For a MeetingBadgirlrockstarDined on 12/8/2013This place is great for a romantic evening or a place for a business meeting. The food is great and the drinks are nice and strong.Special Features: