1100 S 1st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.c1880.com/
- Phone: 4144319271
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Hauck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from c.1880
At c.1880 we believe that food is the art of the earth. We specialize in contemporary cuisines highlighting the seasonal bounty of Wisconsin’s finest farm-fresh produce. Featuring local suppliers and the freshest ingredients Wisconsin has to offer, c.1880 is dedicated to using organic foods made from scratch using seasonally available, local produce, house cured meats, fresh herbs, fruits and organic vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
c.1880 - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
c.1880 reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)special occasion (53)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (34)good for groups (9)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Was it good, yes... Would I go rushing back... No. Service was "ok", I anticipated more from the reviews I read and the price. Our water glasses were only filled 5 minutes before leaving. We came for the food and it was very good. The ambiance was borderline tacky, but I get the theme they were going after. Kudos to the chef, everything else... YawnSpecial Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014I was here for an impressive meal a few months ago, great food and service. Went back two nights ago and it was like a different restaurant. Comical service bordering on rude from the front to the servers, mediocre food overall. Its reputation is very uneven amongst foodies in this area; now I know why.
- Outstanding as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014My absolute favorite Milwaukee restaurant. The food is consistently delicious, creative, a perfect layering of flavors, and beautifully presented. Chef Hauck (in my opinion) runs circles around any other local chef, Beard winners included. I love the little "surprises" we have each time-- this time a little intermediate salad course of watermelon sprinked with sheep feta and a basil "snow" served with a small vinagarette green salad. Joshua is a consistently gracious host and always helps find the perfect wine pairing for the meal. Our waiter, J.P., is friendly and helpful. He always gives an enthusiastic description of the menu. The entire team always goes out of their way to make each meal a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creativeandtastyDined on 8/15/2014Given a bad table despite requesting "nice table for two" for anniversary. service okay. food very creative and tasty. will return another day.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food, service and atmosphere. Went to c. 1880 for dinner with my girlfriend and we were very impressed. We are already planning our next time to go there. Would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an good experience and great wine. Also, the 10 year old rip can winkle is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly OutstandingProntomacVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was our 5th or 6th visit to Circa over the last year or so. The quality remains very high and the sensibly sized menu always a treat. Two guests were amazed at the pheasant--just great and so was the lamb--like the pheasant--done with variations on the plate---not just a lump of meat, but an innovation/invention. Circa is a very talented kitchen of sustained high quality, and so isn't the overall management of the restaurant and wine program--so we recommend highly to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited too long to returnRobbyVIPDined on 8/8/2014It has been 2 years since we last ate at Circa 1880. After finishing our meal we realized we had waited too long to return. The food is fantastic! It's just as good as any fine dining restaurant in NYC and Chicago without the high cost and pretense. The servers are very knowledgable regarding the food and wine. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTomolson24Dined on 8/5/2014We recently dined at circa because I had earned a gift card trough work. The good and service was awesome. When we paid, I asked if I could use the remaining balance of my certificate to pay, and the waiter told me I could not. Two other employees that just dined there with same certificate did use their remaing balance as part of tip. Seems a bit fishy. Other than that very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary treatasbejDined on 8/2/2014We went to c.1880 for our 39th wedding anniversary and are so glad we did. We had never been there, but heard really good things about it. From start to finish it was superb!! We were seated in a quiet area away from the bar. My husband had the steak tartar and I had the pork belly...both delicious! Then we were served 2 more complimentary appetizers to celebrate our anniversary.. green gazpacho and smoked salmon. Again, delicious. For entrees we had the Black Cod (quinoa was out of this world) and Trout (ditto the forbidden rice). My husband had the what ya ma callit for dessert. Service was very good and prompt. We will definitely be back!!!!Special Features:
- Impeccable service, delectable foodBayFoodieDined on 8/1/2014The food at c. 1880 is always do interestingly prepared, fresh & delicious. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dinner at c 1880sandiVIPDined on 7/31/2014We decided to order the tasting menu with wine pairing, as it was such a good deal for what you got. The green gazpacho soup starter was very good and refreshing. We split most of the other tasting items, so that we had one of each. Really nice atmosphere inside, great experience here.Special Features:
- OUt of town guest --surfkansasDined on 7/22/2014As expected, always a very enjoyable and wonderful showcase for Milwaukee. And, the food is great, as well. Doug FisherSpecial Features:
- Wine and quality food1880Dined on 7/16/2014If you want great wine and quality food but not huge plates this is the place. Josh is the best bartender and explains things quite nicely. We took our 97 yr old neighbor to dinner here. She needed help getting up stairs, kept dropping things. Josh was Johnny on the spot. Was kind and accomadating. We have been here before and everytime is a new experience.Special Features:
- Loved it!JanabeDined on 7/15/2014Our 2nd time here and it continues to be delish! We enjoyed every morsel ! Fabulous wine list and great attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth itAnitaDined on 7/15/2014The restaurant is pricey but this is one where you truly get what you pay for. We had the 5 course tasting menu. We opted for the wine pairings with the meal. The wine pours were large for a tasting menu. We also had the foise gras appetizer which was absolutely amazing. Food was prepared well, atmosphere is not stuffy and staff is not pretentious. My only criticism is that the pacing could have been a bit faster. The meal lasted around 2.5 hours.Special Features:
- Always a delightFoodloverDined on 7/11/2014Every bite of every entree is an delicacy of flavor. Service is always individualized and excellent. We love c1880.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalWerdDined on 7/8/2014Each dish was like a wonderful surprise. Preparations were outstanding! Also loved the extras that we did not order like the pineable star anise sode and the Amish truffles.Special Features:
- Funplace1Dined on 6/28/2014First time here. Will definitely be back. Interesting menu, great service, wonderful ambience. It is a nice addition to the Walker's Point dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And still the best...theBigRDined on 6/28/2014There have been a lot of new restaurant openings in the 3rd ward/Bayview area over the last year and we have tried most of them. None of them compare to Circa...none. I have finally realized that great food in a relaxing environment where you are treated like a regular (even if you are not) is far preferable to trying to impress your FB friends with a pic from the latest "hot spot"....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I found the food and cocktail menu interesting (and attractive to true foodies) but overpriced. Lovely ambience and very good service. I think I would recommend this restaurant simply because Milwaukee needs more chefs and restaurant owners to take chances on these types of neighborhoods and menus.Special Features:
- charlieDined on 6/27/2014My husband thought that the scallops were too salty but outstanding in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happygoluckyDined on 6/24/2014We have been to Citronelle in Washington D.C. several tmes and its former Assistant Sous Chef has brought the same food taste and presentation to Milwaukee at a much more affordable price. We were there on a Tuesday night and the place was nearly empty, so it is hard to judge how it would be on a crowded weekend night, but the service was excellentl, the servings were creative and just the right size, the drinks were imaginative and the "Whatchamacallit" desert was worth the calories. The building itself is old and interesting and a great adaptive use for a redeveloping Walker's Point area.Special Features:
- So Very GoodWineAndDineDined on 6/24/2014This was our second visit and we just love the food. It is so different and very fresh and delicious. The wait staff is very attentive, helpful and knowledgeable. This is one of our favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Visitor From ChicagoMequonCRVIPDined on 6/21/2014It was our second visit to c. 1880 and as wonderful as it was the first time! We had 'foodie' friend visiting from Chicago and we wanted her to experience circa! We were not disappointed! Wonderful service and fabulous food! Will return as soon as possible!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceTdog48Dined on 6/21/2014The food and drinks were exceptional! We had the duck and the scallops, and both were delicious and were paired with excellent flavors. The service was outstanding; our waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive. We are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowdabradVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everything here was wonderful. Steak Tartar, Pork belly appetizers. Our meals were equally good. We even tried the whatchamacallit and the quartet of ice creams. The coffee was my favorite. The wine list was amazing. This is a place was so fantastic, I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent & naturally Gluten FreeFrequentTraveler333Dined on 6/14/2014My wife & I celebrated our 24th anniversary at c.1880. We drove up from Illinois, and it was completely worth the drive!! The ambience is very inviting and intimate, while conveying an "industrial hip" reflective of the area. The entire team was friendly, well coordinated, and obviously proud of the restaurant. My wife has celiac disease, so requires Gluten Free, and the team really put her at ease. They were very familiar with the requirements, and stressed much of the menu is naturally gluten free due to the chef's style and menu items. Great News !! We went with the 5 course tasting menu, with wine pairings, and everything was excellent. Pork Belly, Monkfish and Lamb were so good. We will definitely be back. What a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHonestFoodDined on 6/14/2014We were excited to try 1880. Décor was nice but the food was disappointing. The bread service was not of high quality. Menu items were inventive; execution was disappointing. Many dishes were oversalted. Best dish was the pheasant. Short rib was overcome with onions and the lamb needed warm peas (rather than cold) and more of them, since there was nothing else on the plate; lamb sauce very oversalted). Appetizer choices were all cold; needed some hot choices. Service was mediocre. I had to stop eating my entrée and wait for my glass of wine because I really wanted to enjoy them together. I waited quite awhile even though I ordered my wine before the entrees were served.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014If you are looking for a restaurant that can provide a sofisticated, yet relaxed, dining experience, C1880 should be on your "go to" list. The food is always delicious, the wait staff are attentive, without being intrusive. And the whole atmosphere provides a satifactory "fine dining" experience. It's not cheap, but it's not crazy expensive either. The $75, five course, tasting menu is a lot of food, but the pacing of the meal allows you to really experience the artfulness of the chef. I highly recommend it. It's a great deal. Note that everyone at the table has to order the tasting menu if you go that route.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JRPMDVIPDined on 6/12/2014I'd give the restaurant a B. Good food, but no "Wows." Two salads were enjoyable but small. The pork belly lacked a bright sauce. Likewise with the scallops - nice carmelization but no flavorful seasoning or sauce. My lamb tenderloin might have been a bit overcooked for my taste and the jus could have been bolder in flavor. I would like to go back again and try some other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Circa 1880MizeFamilyDined on 6/6/2014We just love this restaurant and continually pick Circa for our date nights over the other great restaurants in Milwaukee (and we have been to all of them). Circa continues to surprise us with their menu changes throughout the year. The cocktails are great. The wine is great. Everything is consistent, delicious, fun, interesting, and a definite go to place if you really are a "Foodie" AND even if you are not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off beaten path, but exceptional!!bws226VIPDined on 6/5/2014c.1880 is in a pretty deserted area, but don't let this fool you. The food was nothing short of spectacular. Fresh ingredients and well-prepared. Good wine list as well. I went on a business dinner, but will definitely be coming back with my wife and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mkistlerDined on 5/31/2014Great food, great service, great time. I highly recommend c1880 to everyone and look forward to our next visit. Wine list is spectacular! New favorite place in MKE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014Excellent food - unusual items that tased incredibleSpecial Features:
- Fun DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The restaurant was a little hard to find but worth the trouble. The staff was friendly but not overly attentive. The food was interesting, in the best sense of the word. The didn't have the wine I wanted but other than that it was a perfect night. I will definately return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningMattyDined on 5/16/2014Good food. Did the tasting menu and had an excellent time.Special Features:
- charming spot, fusion cuisinewineloverDined on 5/14/2014Dined on a Weds. night. The restaurant is in a gentrified factory district just a few minutes from downtown. Easy street parking and worth the drive. The food was fresh and lovingly prepared. The locally grown trout had excellent crispy skin and was over some crunchy veggies. The appetizer fois gras was a generous portion. Served with delicious brioche toast. A vegetable medley prepared for a vegan request was delicious. Several unordered extra treats were provided gratis. The sommelier came over to discuss the pinot noir selection from the interesting and good value wine list. Our server provided just the right combo of attention when needed and privacy for discussion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid dinner and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2014Everything from the host's greeting to the artistic presentation of the entrees was flawless. Our server skillfully guided us through menu choices and each course of our dinner. Ingredients and construction of the creations set before us were interestingly explained. Without exception, it was a dining experience orchestrated with knowledge, creativity and team work. Sophisticated, yet relaxed, the result was a very special, delicious, and adventurous dining experience. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatGinnyDined on 5/10/2014Our first time at this restaurant. We were greeted warmly and our table was ready immediately. The atmosphere was energetic and upbeat, as was the service. Can't say enough about the food! We began with foie gras with brioche with a berry reduction, which was fantastic. Then we enjoyed the beautiful celeriac soup with a crimini-fleur de sel and shallot accent. The short rib was everything short rib should be - fall-apart and tender, not too saucy, delicious! I wish we had had time to take advantage of the price-fixe tasting menu, but we were short on time. We will return! My only criticism is that the wine was warmer than it should have been coming out of the cellar, which un-optimally was a pass-through and thus can't hold temp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Competes with best of San FranciscoBayAreaTransplantsVIPDined on 5/9/2014My husband & I moved from Bay Area to MKE a little over a year a ago and our biggest concern was if we could satisfy our love for fine neighborhood dining without having to drive to Chicago. Then we ate at c1880. Our concerns disappeared. c1880 has set the tone for the hip Walker's Point foodie experience. Not only for couples and small groups, c1880 accommodated a corporate executive function ... We had the entire restaurant to ourselves and the attendees were incredibly pampered with the food experience. If you have not experienced c1880 yet you are missing out on the best of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.