1100 S 1st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.c1880.com/
- Phone: 4144319271
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Hauck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from c.1880
At c.1880 we believe that food is the art of the earth. We specialize in contemporary cuisines highlighting the seasonal bounty of Wisconsin’s finest farm-fresh produce. Featuring local suppliers and the freshest ingredients Wisconsin has to offer, c.1880 is dedicated to using organic foods made from scratch using seasonally available, local produce, house cured meats, fresh herbs, fruits and organic vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
c.1880 - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
c.1880 reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (63)romantic (40)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (15)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful people and food. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!woodmanDined on 10/15/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here on Wednesday. It was great...the food was some the best we have ever enjoyed along with outstanding service. This is an expensive restaurant but it is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MacEaterVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very good food and great service from Anthony. Will definitely return when in Milwaukee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014this is the 3rd time I've attempted to eat at c.1880, and everytime I walk away feeling as though I've overpaid for mediocre food. I consider myself quite the foodie, and I enjoy many of the restaurants in Milwaukee on a regular basis, but c. 1880 always disappoints. I ordered the scallops for my entrée and the entire dish tasted like 2 day old fish...even the veggies! it was a year ago I went and did the chef's tasting...and the courses were unimpressive, overcooked, and again that yukky fishy taste. I have gone to c.1880 my final and last time.
- Short PoursOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014I had read some of the other reviews before making our reservation. A few talked about the short pours of wine. We ordered glasses of the "house" cabernet for $14.00 a glass. It should have been embarrassing for the waiter to have to serve us obvious 3/4 empty glasses. Also, our son ordered a martini before dinner at the bar. We are definite foodies and have been to many fine dining establishments, even he remarked that it was the smallest martini glass he had ever seen. The food and service were wonderful, but we were very turned off by the "skimping" at the bar.Special Features:
- Must try!theBigRDined on 10/7/2014Whether it is a couple of apps and a PBR Tallboy, or the full tasting menu and an expensive bottle of wine, C.1880 continues to be one of Milwaukee's best restaurants. Beyond the food (which is incredible) their service and attention to detail seperate them from their competitors in the seemingly ever increasing "1st ward" restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014This restaurant experience was truly amazing. The entire team at c1880 made my partner and my special day so memorable! The food was the best we've ever had. The service was amazing. We recommend this to everyone! It is well worth it!Special Features:
- Best chef in MilwuakeeTedBDined on 10/4/2014We did the tasting last night and it was wonderful. The food is Michelin star caliber. The service and creativity with the space is also fantastic. My wife and I went on a suggestion by Open Table and we will definitely be back. Great experience for a great price. Thank you for a magical experience Chef and staff!Special Features:
- Happy dinerspecialeventdinerDined on 9/30/2014We always try to find a special place for occasions. This was our 42nd Anniversary and we were very pleased. We were treated as honored guests. The food was excellent and the staff answered each question about the offerings. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, OK ServiceKraigDined on 9/26/2014Steak tartare was a nice twist on a classic with wonderfully carmelized onion marmalade. The halibut "Cioppino" was also delicious, though was not actually Cioppino, just cioppino-inspired. Watchamacallit is a great dessert. Server: good but not great; confused by fairly basic questions about the menu and asked the host to assist with wine selection, which wasn't helpful. My request: a light-bodied red to pair with fish, a pinot noir perhaps? He steered me instead towards a full bodied, inky Grenache, not a good pairing for fish at all. We saved the wine and drank it with dessert. Three courses took about three hours, with awkward gaps in service, which we didn't mind terribly as we were not in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLovefoodDined on 9/25/2014This place is fantastic! The chef does a great job carefully preparing and presenting the food. The service is top notch. The servers know the menu, and can explain it well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops too spicyLessspicyDined on 9/19/2014I thought the scallop dinner was much too spicy and I could not chew the pumpkin seeds. This was by far the worst scollop dinner I ever had. Need to come up with something less spicy and eliminate the pumpkin seeds. My other dinner guests had the halibut which they considered excellent. The corn soup and the dessert were excellent.
- Fantastic ServiceUncleLDined on 9/16/2014We had a great evening at Circa 1880. Our server Jenny was incredible. She answered all of our questions without laughing at our lack of foodie knowledge and made perfect recommendations for every course (Including drinks) of our meal and made it extra special. Ask to be in Jenny's section when you go, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServiceFantasmic13Dined on 9/11/2014We loved the ambiance. We were impressed with our server. She was helpful but not pushy and very knowledgable. The 5 course tasting menu was amazing. We enjoyed our special night out and had an amazing dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCREricksonDined on 9/9/2014Everything was great - service and food was spot on. One of the best restaurants in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014c.1880 has wonderful food and a great wine list. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly: more fun than most restaurants with food this serious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent, nice comfortable restuarantSpecial Features:
- dlg1VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was very good. I was disappointed in what they call a glass of wine vs. the price. Pretty stingy glass. It could have been at least half a glass!Special Features:
- FabulousFoodieTeacherDined on 8/30/2014This is a cute,quaint,hip restaurant. The staff was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. The food was stellar, we had the scallops and pheasant. The dishes made wonderful use of in season produce. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Creative cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014C.1880 was a delight for a relaxed dinner. There were 4 of us, which allowed for some variety in our ordering, and mutual sampling. The server was new, but nevertheless very knowledgeable about each dish, from ingredients to complementary wine suggestions. Suffice it to say that all of us enjoy fine dining and none was disappointed. The service and presentation of the food was excellent, only to be surpassed by the subtle layers of flavor and blending of tastes and textures. Or, as Mel Brooks once said so elegantly, "My tongue is throwing a party for my mouth." Coffee and dessert superb. A bit noisy, but not painfully so. I will keep c.1880 on my A-list. A definite recommendation for a memorable dinner. Casual, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Was it good, yes... Would I go rushing back... No. Service was "ok", I anticipated more from the reviews I read and the price. Our water glasses were only filled 5 minutes before leaving. We came for the food and it was very good. The ambiance was borderline tacky, but I get the theme they were going after. Kudos to the chef, everything else... YawnSpecial Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014I was here for an impressive meal a few months ago, great food and service. Went back two nights ago and it was like a different restaurant. Comical service bordering on rude from the front to the servers, mediocre food overall. Its reputation is very uneven amongst foodies in this area; now I know why.
- Outstanding as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014My absolute favorite Milwaukee restaurant. The food is consistently delicious, creative, a perfect layering of flavors, and beautifully presented. Chef Hauck (in my opinion) runs circles around any other local chef, Beard winners included. I love the little "surprises" we have each time-- this time a little intermediate salad course of watermelon sprinked with sheep feta and a basil "snow" served with a small vinagarette green salad. Joshua is a consistently gracious host and always helps find the perfect wine pairing for the meal. Our waiter, J.P., is friendly and helpful. He always gives an enthusiastic description of the menu. The entire team always goes out of their way to make each meal a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creativeandtastyDined on 8/15/2014Given a bad table despite requesting "nice table for two" for anniversary. service okay. food very creative and tasty. will return another day.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food, service and atmosphere. Went to c. 1880 for dinner with my girlfriend and we were very impressed. We are already planning our next time to go there. Would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an good experience and great wine. Also, the 10 year old rip can winkle is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly OutstandingProntomacVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was our 5th or 6th visit to Circa over the last year or so. The quality remains very high and the sensibly sized menu always a treat. Two guests were amazed at the pheasant--just great and so was the lamb--like the pheasant--done with variations on the plate---not just a lump of meat, but an innovation/invention. Circa is a very talented kitchen of sustained high quality, and so isn't the overall management of the restaurant and wine program--so we recommend highly to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited too long to returnRobbyVIPDined on 8/8/2014It has been 2 years since we last ate at Circa 1880. After finishing our meal we realized we had waited too long to return. The food is fantastic! It's just as good as any fine dining restaurant in NYC and Chicago without the high cost and pretense. The servers are very knowledgable regarding the food and wine. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014First visit was beyond expectations. We look forward to returning. From the greeting at the door to the petite fours,it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTomolson24Dined on 8/5/2014We recently dined at circa because I had earned a gift card trough work. The good and service was awesome. When we paid, I asked if I could use the remaining balance of my certificate to pay, and the waiter told me I could not. Two other employees that just dined there with same certificate did use their remaing balance as part of tip. Seems a bit fishy. Other than that very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary treatasbejDined on 8/2/2014We went to c.1880 for our 39th wedding anniversary and are so glad we did. We had never been there, but heard really good things about it. From start to finish it was superb!! We were seated in a quiet area away from the bar. My husband had the steak tartar and I had the pork belly...both delicious! Then we were served 2 more complimentary appetizers to celebrate our anniversary.. green gazpacho and smoked salmon. Again, delicious. For entrees we had the Black Cod (quinoa was out of this world) and Trout (ditto the forbidden rice). My husband had the what ya ma callit for dessert. Service was very good and prompt. We will definitely be back!!!!Special Features:
- Impeccable service, delectable foodBayFoodieDined on 8/1/2014The food at c. 1880 is always do interestingly prepared, fresh & delicious. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dinner at c 1880sandiVIPDined on 7/31/2014We decided to order the tasting menu with wine pairing, as it was such a good deal for what you got. The green gazpacho soup starter was very good and refreshing. We split most of the other tasting items, so that we had one of each. Really nice atmosphere inside, great experience here.Special Features:
- OUt of town guest --surfkansasDined on 7/22/2014As expected, always a very enjoyable and wonderful showcase for Milwaukee. And, the food is great, as well. Doug FisherSpecial Features:
- Wine and quality food1880Dined on 7/16/2014If you want great wine and quality food but not huge plates this is the place. Josh is the best bartender and explains things quite nicely. We took our 97 yr old neighbor to dinner here. She needed help getting up stairs, kept dropping things. Josh was Johnny on the spot. Was kind and accomadating. We have been here before and everytime is a new experience.Special Features:
- Loved it!JanabeDined on 7/15/2014Our 2nd time here and it continues to be delish! We enjoyed every morsel ! Fabulous wine list and great attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth itAnitaDined on 7/15/2014The restaurant is pricey but this is one where you truly get what you pay for. We had the 5 course tasting menu. We opted for the wine pairings with the meal. The wine pours were large for a tasting menu. We also had the foise gras appetizer which was absolutely amazing. Food was prepared well, atmosphere is not stuffy and staff is not pretentious. My only criticism is that the pacing could have been a bit faster. The meal lasted around 2.5 hours.Special Features:
- Always a delightFoodloverDined on 7/11/2014Every bite of every entree is an delicacy of flavor. Service is always individualized and excellent. We love c1880.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalWerdDined on 7/8/2014Each dish was like a wonderful surprise. Preparations were outstanding! Also loved the extras that we did not order like the pineable star anise sode and the Amish truffles.Special Features:
- Funplace1Dined on 6/28/2014First time here. Will definitely be back. Interesting menu, great service, wonderful ambience. It is a nice addition to the Walker's Point dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And still the best...theBigRDined on 6/28/2014There have been a lot of new restaurant openings in the 3rd ward/Bayview area over the last year and we have tried most of them. None of them compare to Circa...none. I have finally realized that great food in a relaxing environment where you are treated like a regular (even if you are not) is far preferable to trying to impress your FB friends with a pic from the latest "hot spot"....Special Features: