1100 S 1st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.c1880.com/
- Phone: (414) 431-9271
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Hauck
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from c.1880
At c.1880 we believe that food is the art of the earth. We specialize in contemporary cuisines highlighting the seasonal bounty of Wisconsin’s finest farm-fresh produce. Featuring local suppliers and the freshest ingredients Wisconsin has to offer, c.1880 is dedicated to using organic foods made from scratch using seasonally available, local produce, house cured meats, fresh herbs, fruits and organic vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
c.1880 - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
c.1880 reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (68)notable wine list (42)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (17)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- RMCEastDined on 11/22/2014As always, interesting flavor combinations resulting in delicious creations.Special Features:
- C.1880 reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Our dining experience was perfect. Wait staff was attentive in all the right ways. Anthony made great suggestions! Our meals were AMAZING! The fois gras, and short rib were mouthwatering. The icecream dessert was also delicious, especially the brown butter flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/20148 November 2014: The man greeting guests was grumpy and warned there was a wait although arrived on time. Not welcoming and a friend at another table had to wait 45 minutes past his reservation. Rude greeting, actually, and no place to wait--bar too full and guests forced into a huddle by the front door. Not nice. Food is over rated. It's very small town trying to be like a big city, grown up restaurant. Not worth it.Special Features:
- c.1880 dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014We took two guests from out of town to c.1880 for dinner on a Friday night. The Food was excellent, and well worth the price. The wine list was also extensive, and the bottles had a reasonable markup based on retail prices. The only downside for us was that the restaurant was quite loud - this is fine for many occasions, but it was difficult to speak with our guests during our dinner. The only negative about the meal itself was that our after-diner port was served in extremely small, liquor-like glasses, and there were only about three sips. This would be the only thing we would recommend changing in the future. Otherwise, diners should be extremely pleased by the excellent food and wine list. We're looking forward to returning to c.1880.Special Features:
- Jury still outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014My companion reported her butternut squash soup was creamy and flavorful. We both enjoyed the presentation of the soup, as the waiter poured the soup from a spouted pot into her bowl that had some squash confit, and explained how the soup was concocted. The smoked salmon appetizer was fair and my scallop dish was uneven. The scallops were cooked nicely and there were several different flavors on the bottom of the plate, including sauces, sunflower seeds and a dusting of peppers. However, one of the sauces was extremely salty and occasionally the delicate flavors on the plate were overcome by salt.
- Good but Overpriced FoodtastymorselDined on 11/7/2014Food is very good, though some dishes were too salty. Pricing is more than same quality food at other restaurants. Service was OK but not warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Amazing place!ChicagoDLDined on 11/7/2014A Friend from San Francisco and I (from Chicago) found this amazing place when we were in Milwaukee for the weekend. It was fabulous! Amazing food, lovely dining room, wonderful service, extraordinary wine list! What a delight. A reason to travel to Milwaukee from afar!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Culinary Experience YetLuckySevenDined on 11/4/2014My wife and I were looking for a nice quiet anniversary meal on a Tuesday evening. We came upon Circa 1880 through yelp. We were absolutely wowed by the appetizer, "smoked salmon served with shaved and crisp pumpernickel chips topped on a delicious smoked salmon and sour cream. Really lovely especially with the Portuguese white wine the waiter helped us select. I had the Pheasant and my wife tried the duck both cooked to a succulent perfection. We could not have been happier with everything we tried. I would highly recommend this restaurant to everyone, we had a marvelous and memorable time.Special Features:
- Great food and nice atmospherejhawkwiDined on 11/1/2014The food was prepared and served wonderfully. It is truly a dining experience for anyone who is a "foodie" The trout was prepared perfectly and the squash soup had me back within the week. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers, will be back!ExcellentDined on 11/1/2014Tried for the first time for my husbands birthday. It was amazing! I had the trout with lentils, and my husband had the short ribs. Both were great! We had the deconstructed butternut squash soup before our entrees. Best butternut squash soup I've literally EVER had. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Good Food Great ServiceGreat4adateDined on 10/21/2014The ambiance was great, and the interior was very nicely decorated. The short rib was excellent, but my wife's pork appetizer trimming seemed a little salty. The portions seemed a little small for the price, but the flavors were amazing. All-in-all, a gem of a resturant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The food was creative and delicious. The server competent and very pleasant. The only drawback was the noise level: it was very hard to hear the person I was sitting next to.Special Features:
- WonderfulJk3593Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful people and food. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!woodmanDined on 10/15/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here on Wednesday. It was great...the food was some the best we have ever enjoyed along with outstanding service. This is an expensive restaurant but it is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MacEaterVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very good food and great service from Anthony. Will definitely return when in Milwaukee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014this is the 3rd time I've attempted to eat at c.1880, and everytime I walk away feeling as though I've overpaid for mediocre food. I consider myself quite the foodie, and I enjoy many of the restaurants in Milwaukee on a regular basis, but c. 1880 always disappoints. I ordered the scallops for my entrée and the entire dish tasted like 2 day old fish...even the veggies! it was a year ago I went and did the chef's tasting...and the courses were unimpressive, overcooked, and again that yukky fishy taste. I have gone to c.1880 my final and last time.
- Short PoursOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014I had read some of the other reviews before making our reservation. A few talked about the short pours of wine. We ordered glasses of the "house" cabernet for $14.00 a glass. It should have been embarrassing for the waiter to have to serve us obvious 3/4 empty glasses. Also, our son ordered a martini before dinner at the bar. We are definite foodies and have been to many fine dining establishments, even he remarked that it was the smallest martini glass he had ever seen. The food and service were wonderful, but we were very turned off by the "skimping" at the bar.Special Features:
- Must try!theBigRDined on 10/7/2014Whether it is a couple of apps and a PBR Tallboy, or the full tasting menu and an expensive bottle of wine, C.1880 continues to be one of Milwaukee's best restaurants. Beyond the food (which is incredible) their service and attention to detail seperate them from their competitors in the seemingly ever increasing "1st ward" restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014This restaurant experience was truly amazing. The entire team at c1880 made my partner and my special day so memorable! The food was the best we've ever had. The service was amazing. We recommend this to everyone! It is well worth it!Special Features:
- Best chef in MilwuakeeTedBDined on 10/4/2014We did the tasting last night and it was wonderful. The food is Michelin star caliber. The service and creativity with the space is also fantastic. My wife and I went on a suggestion by Open Table and we will definitely be back. Great experience for a great price. Thank you for a magical experience Chef and staff!Special Features:
- Happy dinerspecialeventdinerDined on 9/30/2014We always try to find a special place for occasions. This was our 42nd Anniversary and we were very pleased. We were treated as honored guests. The food was excellent and the staff answered each question about the offerings. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, OK ServiceKraigDined on 9/26/2014Steak tartare was a nice twist on a classic with wonderfully carmelized onion marmalade. The halibut "Cioppino" was also delicious, though was not actually Cioppino, just cioppino-inspired. Watchamacallit is a great dessert. Server: good but not great; confused by fairly basic questions about the menu and asked the host to assist with wine selection, which wasn't helpful. My request: a light-bodied red to pair with fish, a pinot noir perhaps? He steered me instead towards a full bodied, inky Grenache, not a good pairing for fish at all. We saved the wine and drank it with dessert. Three courses took about three hours, with awkward gaps in service, which we didn't mind terribly as we were not in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLovefoodDined on 9/25/2014This place is fantastic! The chef does a great job carefully preparing and presenting the food. The service is top notch. The servers know the menu, and can explain it well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops too spicyLessspicyDined on 9/19/2014I thought the scallop dinner was much too spicy and I could not chew the pumpkin seeds. This was by far the worst scollop dinner I ever had. Need to come up with something less spicy and eliminate the pumpkin seeds. My other dinner guests had the halibut which they considered excellent. The corn soup and the dessert were excellent.
- Fantastic ServiceUncleLDined on 9/16/2014We had a great evening at Circa 1880. Our server Jenny was incredible. She answered all of our questions without laughing at our lack of foodie knowledge and made perfect recommendations for every course (Including drinks) of our meal and made it extra special. Ask to be in Jenny's section when you go, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServiceFantasmic13Dined on 9/11/2014We loved the ambiance. We were impressed with our server. She was helpful but not pushy and very knowledgable. The 5 course tasting menu was amazing. We enjoyed our special night out and had an amazing dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCREricksonDined on 9/9/2014Everything was great - service and food was spot on. One of the best restaurants in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014c.1880 has wonderful food and a great wine list. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly: more fun than most restaurants with food this serious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent, nice comfortable restuarantSpecial Features:
- dlg1VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was very good. I was disappointed in what they call a glass of wine vs. the price. Pretty stingy glass. It could have been at least half a glass!Special Features:
- FabulousFoodieTeacherDined on 8/30/2014This is a cute,quaint,hip restaurant. The staff was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. The food was stellar, we had the scallops and pheasant. The dishes made wonderful use of in season produce. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Creative cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/29/2014C.1880 was a delight for a relaxed dinner. There were 4 of us, which allowed for some variety in our ordering, and mutual sampling. The server was new, but nevertheless very knowledgeable about each dish, from ingredients to complementary wine suggestions. Suffice it to say that all of us enjoy fine dining and none was disappointed. The service and presentation of the food was excellent, only to be surpassed by the subtle layers of flavor and blending of tastes and textures. Or, as Mel Brooks once said so elegantly, "My tongue is throwing a party for my mouth." Coffee and dessert superb. A bit noisy, but not painfully so. I will keep c.1880 on my A-list. A definite recommendation for a memorable dinner. Casual, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Was it good, yes... Would I go rushing back... No. Service was "ok", I anticipated more from the reviews I read and the price. Our water glasses were only filled 5 minutes before leaving. We came for the food and it was very good. The ambiance was borderline tacky, but I get the theme they were going after. Kudos to the chef, everything else... YawnSpecial Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014I was here for an impressive meal a few months ago, great food and service. Went back two nights ago and it was like a different restaurant. Comical service bordering on rude from the front to the servers, mediocre food overall. Its reputation is very uneven amongst foodies in this area; now I know why.
- Outstanding as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014My absolute favorite Milwaukee restaurant. The food is consistently delicious, creative, a perfect layering of flavors, and beautifully presented. Chef Hauck (in my opinion) runs circles around any other local chef, Beard winners included. I love the little "surprises" we have each time-- this time a little intermediate salad course of watermelon sprinked with sheep feta and a basil "snow" served with a small vinagarette green salad. Joshua is a consistently gracious host and always helps find the perfect wine pairing for the meal. Our waiter, J.P., is friendly and helpful. He always gives an enthusiastic description of the menu. The entire team always goes out of their way to make each meal a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creativeandtastyDined on 8/15/2014Given a bad table despite requesting "nice table for two" for anniversary. service okay. food very creative and tasty. will return another day.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Amazing food, service and atmosphere. Went to c. 1880 for dinner with my girlfriend and we were very impressed. We are already planning our next time to go there. Would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for an good experience and great wine. Also, the 10 year old rip can winkle is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly OutstandingProntomacVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was our 5th or 6th visit to Circa over the last year or so. The quality remains very high and the sensibly sized menu always a treat. Two guests were amazed at the pheasant--just great and so was the lamb--like the pheasant--done with variations on the plate---not just a lump of meat, but an innovation/invention. Circa is a very talented kitchen of sustained high quality, and so isn't the overall management of the restaurant and wine program--so we recommend highly to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited too long to returnRobbyVIPDined on 8/8/2014It has been 2 years since we last ate at Circa 1880. After finishing our meal we realized we had waited too long to return. The food is fantastic! It's just as good as any fine dining restaurant in NYC and Chicago without the high cost and pretense. The servers are very knowledgable regarding the food and wine. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014First visit was beyond expectations. We look forward to returning. From the greeting at the door to the petite fours,it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.