C & R Kitchen
370 Montgomery Ave
Merion Station, PA 19066Neighborhood:
KosherPrice: $30 and under
C & R Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citronandrose.com/
- Phone: 6106644919x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch 10:30am until 2:30pm
Sunday Dinner 4:30pm until 10pm
Monday through Thursday Lunch 11:30am until 2:30pm
Monday through Thursday Dinner 5:30pm until 10pm
Sunday through Thursday Happy Hour 5pm until 6:30pm in the bar
Closed Fridays and Saturdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Kosher, International
- Executive Chef: Karen Nicolas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Citron and Rose is a full service off-premise catering company. Please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Ron Didner at 610-664-4919.
A word from C & R Kitchen
C & R Kitchen explores the roots of European Jewish cooking with an updated interpretation of a tradition-rich cuisine. Under the guidance of Chef Karen Nicolas, Citron and Rose offers a refined, full-service approach to kosher hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
C & R Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (13)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The steak that I had was excellent, and cooked exactly as I requested. My husband, who is vegetarian, had a portobello mushroom sandwich, which he absolutely loved - a rare reaction for him at a meat-based restaurant. I had the hot fudge sundae with hazelnut ice cream for dessert, which came with meringue crumbles on top. I was disappointed because the meringue made the sundae too sweet; also, I couldn't taste the hazelnut flavor. My husband had a peach cobbler, which he really liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WISH THERE WERE MORE OF YOUOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Wish you had a restaurant in Baltimore. We'd be there very often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014NO CHARM IN THE DECOR! OUR WAITER WAS SLOPPY AND SOMEWHAT RUDE! HE EVEN BROUGHT 2 OF THE 4 GUESTS THE WRONG FOOD AND THEN ARGUED.THEY HAD A PECULIAR DINNER MENU (1ST ITEMS WERE EGGS AND WAFFLES). EXTREMELY LIMITED DINNER MENU.! TOMATO SOUP AND TROUT WERE GOOD, SALMON WAS OVERCOOKED,RIB EYE VERY FATTY. PRICES WERE HIGH FOR THE LACK OF QUALITY OF THE FOOD.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth our 90 minute driveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Drove fm NJ to eat here. Yum. Gourmet but not too pricey. Nice selection for all kinds of appetites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedChipsthedinerDined on 8/14/2014We had a very enjoyable first experience at C&R Kitchen. Service was very good without being overly so. Food (fish, brisket burger and warm peach salad) was also very tasty and reasonably priced. Noise level bordered on being too loud - our next visit would depend upon table location. Pleasant extra-host loaned me an umbrella to fetch my car from the parking lot down the road. He also helped many others without umbrellas to their cars. Very nice and classy move!!Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePleasedDined on 8/10/2014My family had a great time at C & R. Warm, friendly, and elegant - with great food in sizable portions. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Miss the Old MenuAgf3Dined on 8/6/2014This is our third time at the restaurant and the first with the new menu. While everything we had was good, we missed a lot of the more interesting and unusual dishes. Everything we had was delicious but for the cost of the meal we were looking for something special and more unique as had been offered before. We especially missed the pistachio-chocolate bar dessert!Special Features:
- Delicious and fun foodakivaDined on 8/3/2014The food was so good and fun to eat. Every small plate was so exciting to eat.Special Features:
- Is it searching for its identity?CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 8/3/2014Vus machs da (Google it)? Our earlier visits to the former Citron & Rose were good but far from stellar (fine food, fair portions, mediocre service, nice casual room). It appears they're in the midst of change that may not be all to the good, e.g. the hummus appetizer is now a small cup of ordinary stuff & we were surprised to find so many entrées over $20 at Sunday brunch. Service is still spotty - a hand tried to remove my hummus while I was still eating it (literally). On the plus side, my lentil burger was one of the best bean burgers I've ever had, the tomato soup was beautiful as well as tasty, & my wife's seared tuna was excellent. Kosher or not, fine dining's more than good food & pricey entrées. Decide what you want to be, C&R!
- very nice dinnerFlyerfanDined on 7/30/2014the menu is not as innovative as the prior iteration, Citron and Rose, but the food was very good. Had a brisket burger, which is basically a hamburger w/ brisket cut mixed in. Very good, but not what I expected-- a burger of brisket. Mushroom noodles my daughter had were lovely, but again, not particularly different. I liked the old menu better. Would have given Citron a 5 star, C & R gets a 4.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/29/2014Love the new approachable menu and concept! The food is wonderful and the staff are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaaazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014My wife and I have been here a few times in the last year. The first time (summer 2013) and this time (summer 2014) were absolutely incredible. Each dish we ordered was original, delicious, and made perfectly. The service was also wonderful. Cannot wait to come back again.Special Features:
- Not as Sparkling as in the PastOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2014Went to celebrate birthdays with a friend. Selected it because it had been elegant and a true treat. Even the menu choices were not as exotic or unusual. Food was still very good, but not extraordinary. Menu had misprints and on a quiet Monday, they had sold out of one of the choices. While we still were able to relax and talk, not be rushed, and enjoyed a nice meal, we were not "Wowed" as we had been in the past.Special Features:
- Its hard to kosher wellJRB320VIPDined on 6/30/2014I don't keep kosher but I have a lot of people in my life who do so I found myself at C&R for a luncheon. The waitress seemed overwhelmed by our table of 12 and thus lunch took much longer than anticipated. The food was over oily and nothing that excited me. I have eaten at great kosher restaurants before but this was not one o them.
- Did not meet expectations.PhoebeDined on 6/22/2014The eggplant fries were a disappointment - rubbery and tasteless. We gave feedback to the waiter, but it was apparent the chef did not care what we said. The Tuna Melt was extremely salty and tasted like diner food. Overall, our experience for Sunday Brunch was a disappointment.
- Hold the schmaltz!SeweatDined on 6/18/2014Please let us know upfront that the bread spread served is whipped chicken fat. Other than that, our dining experience was delicious.Special Features:
- Adequate if you require kosher foodPgh4Dined on 6/17/2014There is nothing special about the food unless you are in need of a kosher meat meal. Our steaks were fatty and not particularly tender or tasty. We appreciated the opportunity to enjoy a kosher meat meal in a restaurant but will not return as the meal was expensive and nothing special. Burger.org is around the corner and serves tastier food.Special Features:
- So glad we tried this place!CarsonDined on 6/15/2014I don’t keep kosher but we were celebrating a special occasion with a friend who keeps kosher, so we picked Citron and Rose. Wow, am I happy we tried it; this restaurant is amazing! Service (our waiter was Eric) for dinner was terrific. The food was fresh and light. The flavors were vibrant and exciting. In addition, there was a nice mix of textures to certain combinations (for example, there were crunchy anchovy toasted bread crumbs in the Spring Salad). The restaurant baked warm bread was delicious. The desserts (we had the chocolate ganache and the hazelnut semifreddo) were incredible (rich and decadent, but in small enough portions so as to not feel too guilty about devouring them in their entirety). I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good this timeJanetLynn60VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have dined at Citron and Rose several times and have always enjoyed it. This time (Father's Day) was terrible. First, we waited more than an hour for our entrée. Second, our waitress was sour and non-communicative. Third, one of the dinners was average. Prices are too high for average food. If this were our first time dining here, we would never go back. Hope they get back on trackSpecial Features:
- ALANSHULIDined on 6/11/2014This outstanding restaurant made our 24th anniversary very special. The food was truly 5-star incredible and the desserts were spectacular. The corn fritters and cardamom ice cream with lime curd was a standout...simply sensational. And our waitress was knowledgeable and excellent...thank you for a wonderfully memorable meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerNathanDined on 6/9/2014Food was amazing service was outstanding very helpful nice and food came out in great timing and the food was just amazing will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was greatAwesomeDined on 6/8/2014I had a meeting there and the food and ambiance were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementSlurzfromRhawnhurstDined on 6/8/2014I ordered the Hummus for starters, the portion was very small. My friends ordered tea for a beverage and it was way too strong. I was disappointed that Eggs Benedict had been dropped from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/28/2014finally, a restaurant where we can eat everything on the menu if we wanted to! a wonderfully creative and inspired menu that has us coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good enough to go backCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 5/26/2014This was our second meal at C&R - the experience was consistent, so this must be what it is. As both meals were brunch, we can't generalize to dinner & will have to give that a try one day soon. The food was once again very good. Chickpea fries were tasty, although the sweet potato hummus I ordered as an appetizer never came. Three of our party of 5 had hamburgers, & all thought they were much better than average among better restaurants. Diner #4 had fried chicken salad, which was a pile of excellent chicken fingers on a small green salad. And my arctic char was very nice in a mustard sauce with spring peas. Presentation was attractive & all ingredients were quite fresh - C&R merits the term "fine dining". The bar is well stocked, too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemisadotDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I wanted to go out for a nice dinner and this is by far the best kosher option in Philadelphia. Menu is on the smaller side but there is still something for everyone. The food is creative, tasty and presented beautifully. Our waiter was excellent as well. He was very patient in answering all of our questions and made good recommendations. We also got there very late (9:35pm) and restaurant closes at 10, but he assured us that we can take our time and we did not feel rushed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem so Nearjony663Dined on 5/14/2014This is another gem that I was not aware of. Close to school and work it was just out of the way enough for me to have not know of it. The food was awesome and the drinks were perfect for a celebration. The lunch menu was simple but we all found something to enjoy. For me the char was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticpd11Dined on 5/13/2014Philadelphia finally has a truly excellent Kosher restaurant. Just as important, Citron & Rose is a fabulous restaurant by any standard. The food is imaginative and delicious, and the staff is caring and professional. Great.Special Features:
- The following 225 reviews are from the C & R Kitchen reviews archive.
- who would of thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2014was in the area on business, took out an employee. we both loved it. food was amazing , although I did not enjoy the beef cheek soup, everything else was superb. AMAZING drinks!!Special Features:
- excellent foodcindyDined on 4/9/2014food was excellent. it took a while for our drinks but then the food came quicklySpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceJPM1Dined on 4/7/2014The food was amazing. Every minor detail was excelled. This was the first time we tried C&R and it was for the Italian night. Having tasted what we did, we will definitely be back for the regular menu. Quite possibly the best dessert I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodJordanDined on 4/6/2014The restaurant is fantastic by all standards! The food is delicious and well presented. The staff doesn't always seem to love their jobs, or eager to meet your needs,but the food makes up for it. My ONLY complaint would be that if you're a party of two, you MAY end up sitting so close to your neighbor thT it feels like a party of four.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealTheHillDined on 4/3/2014Citron and Rose always comes through with quality food and a pleasant upscale atmosphere. The prices are a little high, but acceptable for an upscale kosher restaurant. My only critique is that there is usually a slow beginning to the meal...it take a while to order, but once the first course arrives, the meal moves along at a nice pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingpoolmanDined on 3/31/2014Whenever I am in Philadelphia, I make sure to dine at Citron and Rose. Everything about it is superb. The service, ambience, and most important of all, the food are all out of this world. The crowd speaks for itself, as we were passing through town on a Monday night, and the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!!!!citronrosefanDined on 3/30/2014Fabulous dining experience!! Wonderful food, service, etc. etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Citron and RoseIsaiahDined on 3/24/2014The food is absolutely amazing, along with everything else. Our service was great, our server allowed us to feel so comfortable which made the night even better. When we had a question they had the answer and the answer was not to choose the most expensive item on the menu but to choose the item we would enjoy the most. I will definitely continue to go back to Citron and Rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise and delight ...JB22VIPDined on 3/19/2014Having popped in for lunch with a business associate who had never been ... I got her first hand review. Surprised and delighted covers it. She enjoyed fresh pan roasted Arctic Char over arugula salad with an incredible home made potato salad. Fresh, bright and absolutely delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding flavorsNortheastfoodieDined on 3/16/2014Wanted to try this place because of their interesting food preparation. Will say that the food could have been served a little hotter. (should have mentioned that when the opportunity presented itself, and it did) The food was outstanding. Would like to return when they have a special prix fixe menu that offers more of the "traditional" Kosher cuisine. Service is top of the line. Place can get a bit noisy when it is full.Special Features:
- This is the second time weavanDined on 3/11/2014This is the second time we have been to Citron and Rose. We go on our anniversary. We felt that last year the food and service was MUCH better. The choices on the menu were also much more interesting and appetizing on our last visit. The waiter started out very slow, but he ended up being ok. Last year I remember being very well waited on. There were just a lot of little things that did not feel like what we were expecting based on our last visit. It seemed like they had changed the menu quite a bit from the last time, to our disappointment. We definitely enjoyed ourselves and the dessert was most awesome. Wish the dinner and service had been as good.Special Features:
- Kosher or Not: GREAT FOOD!MLG18104Dined on 3/9/2014The food was excellent. Highly recommend the restaurant whether you keep kosher or not. The rib eye was as good as a steak you get at a non-kosher high end steak house. The lamb shank was amazing. Best app was the potato soup with beef cheeks. Restaurant is a bit pricey. 3 entrees, 3 apps, 2 desserts, 1 highball drink, 2 coffees was $190+tax+tip. No wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.