By Degrees Cafe
415 South Central Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
By Degrees Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bydegreescafe.com/
- Phone: 4105220478
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Omar Semidey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from By Degrees Cafe
By Degrees Café is a small and casual restaurant in the Harbor East/Little Italy area of Baltimore that presents made from scratch fare, keeping in mind affordable prices. By Degrees Café is meant to shift the culinary landscape by just a few degrees to return to the basics of restaurant cooking of; no fuss, solid good food at reasonable prices. Offering free parking to patrons as well as friendly and professional service, By Degrees Café is a great spot for people to have a delicious meal and feel at ease.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
By Degrees Cafe - Best Restaurants in Harbor East ›
By Degrees Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (9)great for brunch (5)special occasion (4)scenic view (3)romantic (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- not what i expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were looking for a place to eat in Baltimore and were excited about the neighborhood. Food choices were limited and limited even more by the fact they were out of multiple items. Unfortunately they would have been 2 people's first choice. It was also a bit odd to have people come up to our table to look at the art hanging on the all behind us. It made me uncomfortable and seemed a bit intrusive.
- Wonderful meal!FineDiner1Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent place to dine with attentive waitstaff and great food. Great place to unwind at the end of a work day or for leisurely enjoying really delicious food. We have eaten here on several occasions and keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014By Degrees Cafe was a great find for a healthy but satisfying, delicious, interesting dinner. Service was excellent, prices were extremely reasonable.Special Features:
- Regular customerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been to By Degrees several times. I really like the powerhouse sandwich. Also highly recommend the caramel bread pudding.Special Features:
- Solid lunch spotAFinkDined on 8/14/2014The goat cheese flat bread appetizer was delicious, the short rib empanadas were also cooked perfectly. Sandwiches and salads for our group were all just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHappydinerDined on 8/9/2014Made a reservation on 8/9, went to the restaurant and it was closed for a private event!!! So disappointed and aggregated! Had planned on dinner before Pier 6 concert and left us scrambling for last minute plans.
- Kitchen almost had it....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Came to have a Saturday lunch during Restaurant Week. My friend had ordered the BLT&A -- the sandwich came out, took a bite and was missing tomatoes. We asked if we could have tomatoes brought out and we could add it ourselves. The server, she was a sweet girl, came back and informed us they were out of tomatoes. Wish the kitchen staff had told the waitress this instead of sending out an incomplete sandwich. The waitress ended up giving us our dessert on the house for this error. The food was good (minus the tomato part), and was served as a decent proportion for lunch.
- Found A Pearl in An Oysterc3picksDined on 8/8/2014Just Pot Luck , I was searching for an open table during restauraunt week for lunch in the near the inner Harbor. I saw the name By Degrees Cafe it peaked my interest, checked out the menu and thought I would try it out. It was a great dining experience, although at our time frame, were the only patrons there, but I loved it. The owner even came over to meet and greet us. Thank You Open Table and By Degrees Cafe for getting my pre birthday celebration off to a good start!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The last good cafe in harbor eastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014Great Cafe with interesting food that is moderately priced and free wi-fi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Unexpected Findagamble1983Dined on 8/2/2014It was by chance that I happened upon By Degrees Cafe. I liked that there were a lot of options and it was located near where I planned to spend my evening. I was quite shocked at how slow it was at 8:00 PM on a Saturday night especially given the quality of the food and service. From start to finish, we were quite pleased. We started with the fried goat cheese salad and veggie empanadas. They were both excellent. For dinner, we both ordered the ahi tuna rare with a brussel sprout slaw and crispy rice. For dessert, we had the caramel bread pudding with salted caramel ice cream. I would return for the dessert alone. Looking forward to returning for lunch soon. Highly recommend and hope they can survive in their location.Special Features:
- Loved itLisaDined on 8/1/2014I took a friend there for her birthday. We all loved it. Food was great along with very accomendanting service. Would recommend it to all my friends?Special Features:
- MarleeDined on 7/11/2014Read a review and wanted to try it. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. We soon discovered that we could barely hear one another and asked if we could sit at an outside table. Everyone was so kind; our waiter helped bring our food out, and the manager offered us free drinks and insisted on giving us free desserts. We felt this was amazing customer service. As for the food, the selections were great and dinners were delicious( especially the gazpacho)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new venueBeaMooreDined on 6/20/2014We came to support a great local artist, Darla Luke, because she was showing her work. The food and drink were a bonus! All the soups were fresh and delicious, but the Gazpacho was outstanding. The sandwiches had terrific fresh baguettes, homemade chips and wonderful fillings; recommend the pork & chicken curry!!Special Features:
- Food was okayMomfoodieDined on 6/20/2014We showed up for a late lunch so the place was empty. The service was good and the food was okay. They gave us a free dessert.
- Great!LAZERlibbyDined on 6/18/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. Would definitely recommend. Diverse menu to please literally everyone. Really glad this place was so lovely. Will definitely go back soon!Special Features:
- By golly it was good!!LVHMDined on 5/29/2014Great food and service at By Degrees Cafe! Planning to return really soon! There were 7 of us in the group and we had a really nice experience at this restaurant! Each of us ordered the various salads that were offered and we loved them all! Also ordered the various sandwiches from Curried Chicken Salad sandwich to Grilled Cheese sandwich and we had the chocolate mousse and caramel bread pudding with salted caramel ice cream for dessert...everything was exceptionally delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 4 reviews are from the By Degrees Cafe reviews archive.
- Boring!JillDined on 5/16/2014We went to this restaurant on a Friday night and were underwhelmed from the minute we set foot in the door. It has a very cold, austere feel to it and was much smalle than we had expected. The menu was fine, but the beer choices were very limited. My husband ordered the Manhattan, which was one of their featured drinks, and said that it was just glorified orange juice. On a positive note, our food came in a timely fashion and the fish sandwich was delicious, as was the beef brisket. We won't be back, though, because it just felt like we were eating in a warehouse with tables.
- Fresh and interesting.eat4lifeDined on 4/26/2014What a great find! Menu is deep and interesting. Food is presented beautifully and with a light touch. I got the feeling the salad greens were pulled out of the garden just before hitting the plate. Staff is pleasant and professional, welcoming and gracious. We lingered over the coffee and bread pudding, just quiet enough for conversation and people watching. The staff seem willing to do whatever it takes to make everything perfect for you. I was there for lunch, and will definitely return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/18/2014I had the pan-roasted chicken, and it was really nice and tender. It's a very friendly and low-key atmosphere. The restaurant is close to where I live, so it's very convenient for us to pop in for lunch. Wish it were open on Sunday.Special Features:
- New addition to the neighborhoodGingerVIPDined on 4/14/2014Ideal place for lunch, easy parking directly on Central Avenue. A location that is close to Fells Point, Harbor East, and Little Italy. Our server was attentive and helpful; overall a delightful meal. The menu was suitable for all tastes, we really enjoyed our salads, perfectly dressed and our sandwiches were excellent, no room for dessert, maybe next time.Special Features: