50 West 22nd
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bxlcafe.com/
- Phone: 6466929282
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00PM - 11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Claes Klaas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from BXL ZOUTE
BXL ZOUTE is a Belgian restaurant located in Manhattan's Flatiron neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BXL ZOUTE reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Pretty decentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/9/2014Lively after-work bar scene. It can get pretty loud inside, and there's lots of soccer on the TVs. Decent Belgian food, which is like a combination of French and Dutch. The Bitterballen are excellent- traditional Dutch snack of fried beef & bechamel croquettes. if I lived in the neighborhood, I might stop by from time to time. I hear their brunch is pretty good.Special Features:
- Pre Theater dinnerstatuscrowDined on 9/5/2014the mussels and beer were excellent, fries a little limp, noise level high but it was Happy Hour.
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014We got the mussels and they were hit or miss. Some pots were well seasoned and with slightly 'thicker' sauces so that it clung to the mussels to flavor them. Some pots seemed extremely watered down to the point where it almost didn't matter what 'flavor' you picked since you couldn't really taste it anyways. The mussels themselves were also hit or miss. Within each pot, I think we each spit out anywhere from a handful to a dozen that were 'bad' or tasted 'bad'. I've never had a pot with so many 'bad' mussels in them elsewhere. Lastly, our server was nice but non-existent most of the evening. We felt like we were spending most of the evening flagging him down or trying to find him. Twice we had to as our busboy to find and send him over.Special Features:
- mhmhDined on 8/6/2014The noise level was horrible, but the food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014The mussels were very good and overall the restaurant was perfect for a casual moderately priced weekend brunchSpecial Features:
- Fun place to dineamateurcriticDined on 7/31/2014Menu is somewhat limited but food is very good and service excellent. Very high noise level so not great if you want to catch up with someone.Special Features:
- 1st time is a charmerBarbaraTVIPDined on 7/31/2014You can bet that we will return to BXL Zoute. We loved the price fix, especially the fact that you got a glass of wine or Stella Artois with your meal. Big portions, too. Very tasty. The atmosphere was really cute -- I thought I was in Belgium (except for the fact of all the traffic outside).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!BCLewDined on 7/14/2014I was looking for a place based on location but couldn't tell by looking at their web-site or menu. What a pleasant surprise! The mussels and french fries were excellent! Great and friendly attentive service without pressure to move along. I had a casual business lunch meeting and was thrilled with every part.Special Features:
- comfy and friendlyjaymuDined on 6/20/2014nice staff, solid food - not exceptional but not exceptionally prices either. Easy place to meet a friend for luck in the area and, bonus if the world cup is on because this place knows how to do it right! one croque monsieur and one ceased salad and two glasses of wine - 55 dollars and would be happy to go back and try some other plates.Special Features:
- great predining metropolitan roomcjr2VIPDined on 6/11/2014most pleasant venue, the busboy mixed up our mussel request and staff very kindly replaced with correct order and new french fries as well. quiet at 5pm but after show about 830 pm very lively ...recommendedSpecial Features:
- Excellent Belgian FareAndrewVIPDined on 6/8/2014Recommended. Great Belgian fare, particularly the mussels, pomme frites, and burgers. Excellent selection of Belgian craft brews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East & RelaxedDeliciousNewYorkVIPDined on 6/6/2014The moules and frites were just right, my friends got the meatballs, loved them, the salmon, very tasty and the chicken pot pie- which was light and summery, not at all like an american pot pie which I think of a wintery dish- The dessert, the chocolate sundae was yum, but where was the hot fudge? Ah, its the Belgian version.
- A LITTLE SLICE OF BELGIUMBergeauxVIPDined on 6/2/2014As authentic a Belgian Pub you will find in manhattan. great menu that's approachable with kids, great mussels and simple yet solid selection of beer. Authentic service (think I know who the owners are) and a staple for us!Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the BXL ZOUTE reviews archive.
- The Best Mussels Ever!IkeyVIPDined on 5/16/2014BXL Zoute has hands down the best mussels in NYC!! We went there for dinner on a Friday night. Between the four of us, two ordered the mussels Thai style, one had the cheeseburger, and one the roasted chicken. For dessert, we shared the waffles and ice cream, and profiteroles. BXL Zoute also has an extensive beer menu, both on tap and bottled. Everyone agreed that the food was great! Prices are very reasonable, too! The only drawback is the place has a really loud bar scene in the front of the restaurant. So if you want a quiet spot, ask to sit in the back. We did, and were very happy that we did!Special Features:
- Mussels Magnifique!timmmykVIPDined on 5/5/2014BXL Zoute is awesome all around. Best beer, best bar scene, best mussels specials, best burgers. No pretense, hearty food, great vibe and good times.Special Features:
- Fun but loudRuthNYDined on 5/1/2014Good food with lots of easy-to-share choices. Fabulous beer list. But VERY loud and with a very bright parking garage across the street that adds a glaring light to the front tables.Special Features:
- Great lunchChristiannaGVIPDined on 4/30/2014Service could have been a little faster but all in all a great neighborhood lunch spotSpecial Features:
- Great Belgian bistroRayzirDined on 4/24/2014Excellent spot for fine beer, mussels, croques and frites. Easy to overlook--not much to look at from the outside but very much worth a visit. Nicely prepared dishes, made with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Belgian PubMichaelVIPDined on 4/23/2014I found BXL Zoute on Urbanspoon because I was going to be in the neighborhood. We've made it a go-to spot for dinner after work. The beer, wine, and cocktail menu is good and there are traditional dishes on the menu (steak frites, Belgian meatballs, House terrine.) The entire staff has been friendly and attentive. A great Chelsea spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in ManhattanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014As a tourist to New York, finding a great place to eat was a must. Looking for a good place to eat late at night on a Saturday night was surprisingly difficult to find. But found BXL via Yelp. Glad I did. Just note that the people were a bit dressy, so iron your pants and button up your shirts.Special Features:
- mussels-yummmBarbDined on 4/4/2014It was the first Friday of the month, so the noise level was very high. However, our reservation was honored immediately. Additionally, the mussels, which can be served with several different broths, were delicious and plentiful. I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY LOUD!!!! WHAT DID YOU SAY??ValueHunterVIPDined on 3/28/2014Dinner for four - Friday 7 PM. Very Loud!! Less restaurant, more tables running parallel to long bar. OK food - chicken stew, Belgian meatballs (drowning in tomato sauce). Good beer selection. Didn't try mussels. Likely won't go back - TOO LOUD!!!! $260 for four (inclu tip, 7 drinks, no dessert)
- Wow!WebbVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great food, beautiful space, perfect service. Mussels/frites and macaroni and cheese were cooked perfectly and had great flavor. It was nice to experience a quiet restaurant environment in NY City. Wish this was in our neighborhood at home and not 3 hours away on a plane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite casual diningtimmmykVIPDined on 3/17/2014Our favorite casual dining spot. Best beer bar in town. Staff is the best. Just rocks every time.Special Features:
- Rocks and rolls. Love thetimmmykVIPDined on 3/4/2014Rocks and rolls. Love the specials. Crisp, fresh, cold tastiest beer around. Awesome vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my top ten in ManhattanWesnileDined on 3/1/2014BXL Houte is downright awesome! They have everything so buttoned up. Food is absolutely fantastic and the wait staff are on top of everything. BXL is always alive and buzzing and just a lot of fun. The food is fantastic and there is something for everyone on the menu. From the cheese plates to the entrees you will be extremely happy with whatever you choose. The chicken "stew" is my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!LovetoeatDined on 3/1/2014What a great little place ! A trip to Belgium in NYC... Staff so friendly ..service great.. We were not rushed at all and were carefully watched over while we ate our amazing dinners! Divine onion soup...Entrecotte cooked perfectly...topped off by silky creme brûlée ... What more could we ask! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ooh La LapattifulDined on 3/1/2014Arranged for a brunch at BXL Zoute and was very pleased with my choice. We were seated at a comfortable banquette, and enjoyed delicious French Onion Soup, French toast and an omelette, coffee was good and plentiful. The atmosphere was perfect, not noisy, definitely not boring and quite attractive. I'll keep this place on my short list of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodStuytownmomDined on 2/28/2014The food and service were good. I like the cheese plate. My family had a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic belgian food, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2014Belgian cuisine isn't an oxymoron, but it is distinctive: pots of mussels, plates of fries, beef stew in beer, and belgian beers are the highlights at this cozy place. the mussels were terrific - fresh, clean and perfectly steamed; the fries very good, if not exactly like what you get in Brussels. The carbonnade was just like you get in Brussels - unctuous brown sauce over meltaway chunks of beef - and more fries! A fun, casual place full of people who come for the cuisine, and the camaraderie. A fun evening of well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/21/2014Got a 9 person reservation for the same day, great for groups. Good beer selection. Mussels were a little overcooked, but the sauces were good.Special Features:
- Burgers, Mussels Bitterballen,timmmykVIPDined on 2/20/2014Burgers, Mussels Bitterballen, Boudin Noir, it;s all top notch. Stella never tasted better.Special Features:
- Casual Belgian place for bitePakuChanNYDined on 2/16/2014I came here with 2 other friends for Sunday brunch. The place was quiet and casual but welcoming. 2 of us had Steak & Frites and the other had the mussel BXL Special, and each one of us tried different Belgian beer. I liked the Pomme version of Fruit Beer. Too bad that the place does not offer the beer stew for brunch, which was the dish I really wanted to try. I will have to come back for dinner or on the weekday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BXL Zoute is consistentlytimmmykVIPDined on 2/15/2014BXL Zoute is consistently welcoming, professional, great surrooundings with high quality food and the best beer on tap in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and tastypickyeaterDined on 2/15/2014Good, basic comfort food, friendly service in a warm atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Belgian Food and Beer!MSSSDined on 2/15/2014We really enjoyed dining here. The food was very good, the waitstaff very attentive, and the beer selection excellent. We each had an appetizer, an entree and we shared a dessert. Everything was delicious! The only complaint I had was that the food was too salty for me, but I have that problem at a lot of restaurants.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food & ServiceJeffMVIPDined on 2/13/2014I have dined at BXL Zoute at least two dozen times, and the food and service are always great. Staff is warm and friendly; kitchen is quick and consistent in their preparation - especially the deliciously fresh mussels steamed in a wide variety of sauces/broths. The place really has a feeling of a beloved neighborhood hang-out, and we enjoy just going to the bar just to sample one of dozen or so Belgian beers on draft, and watch some soccer and chat with the bartender. This is definitely my favorite restaurant in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ExperiencePamelaGDined on 2/9/2014From the minute our party arrived, we were impressed. The staff was professional and gracious, the menu had a very interesting variety of entrées and appetizers, the wait staff was knowledgeable and professional, and the food (I had the chicken with apple sauce, one of my friends had the salmon, both of which were fabulous) was absolutely delicious! I would return again and again, and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Belgian b'day ever!!!!CocoDined on 2/8/2014Delicious food, good wines, great ambiance, very good and friendly service. We'll go back very soon.One of my best 2013 discoveries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BXL Zoute is rockingtimmmykVIPDined on 2/7/2014Best beer bar in NYC. Great Belgian food. Great beer. Crowd is smart and relaxed. Locals, Nearby professionals, Cool vibe. Warm staff.Special Features: