210 East 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bxlcafe.com/
- Phone: 2128887782
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30AM - 4:00PM
Dinner: Saturday - Wednesday: 4:00PM - 11:30PM
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Claes Klaas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Saturday night Live music from 9:30 until 12:30.
A word from BXL East
A slightly more modern feel than our original location. delicious Belgian cuisine and beer, whether you are in the mood for a Trappist, Abbey or Sour Ale, we have got you covered. Our Beer menu is carefully selected by our expert beverage director and we pride ourselves on the fact that we serve beers that you would be unable to find anywhere else in NYC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BXL East reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (17)vibrant bar scene (14)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Truly authentic Belgian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014A true New York City experience - mid-town escape from the hustle-bustle into a cozy, friendly Belgian restaurant. A real find. They know how to serve beer in proper glasses and with a flare. The staff from bus boy up was friendly, smiled sincerely and took pride in their jobs.Special Features:
- Decent food, slow serviceRoHo218Dined on 9/9/2014I liked the ambiance of the restaurant, but the food was just ok, and the service was slow. Maybe some people like the luxuriance of just sitting for a long time, but we got tired of asking for the check.Special Features:
- MumaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great time, super friendly and yummy cuisine. Our waitress was very attentive and sweet. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our time at BXLSusanCDDined on 8/17/2014We were meeting an old friend (she's 91 and has known me "since before I was born." She isn't as mobile as she used to be, and the staff was considerate about our having to wait for her -- didn't insist on our ordering drinks or brunch until she arrived. I thought the staff did a very good, efficient job, making sure our needs were met without hovering over us. We enjoyed our brunch selections and cocktails -- even my decaf espresso was excellent. We'd definitely consider coming back (our friend lives nearby, but we don't).Special Features:
- Good Lunch Specialnickname1VIPDined on 8/6/2014Handy, modest-cost place in Midtown East, with good Belgian/French cooking. Lunch specials are particularly good value.Special Features:
- Quick LunchMikeyDeeDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food and great selection of both beer and wine. The only thing that is better is their service which was remarkable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy...ntd123456Dined on 7/31/2014It was very noisy. We couldn't hear anything other than people screaming at the bar.
- Consistently good spot!JojoDined on 7/21/2014The mussels are off the hook. In fact I don't otherwise like mussels, but theirs cooked in wine wine and shallots is top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Belgian foodViViDined on 7/21/2014One of the best Belgian Food restaurants in town + good beer. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- Very noisyHlmsDined on 7/15/2014Nice little restaurant but way too noisy. We were with another couple and had to shout to be heard . Food was fine but not remarkable . Wait staff was pleasant .
- Good food and very accommodatingnycdashDined on 7/13/2014Went here to watch the World Cup Finals Argentina-Germany. I made reservations a few days before but had to make a few changes with friends changing their minds and the manager was very accommodating which I really appreciated given that it was the World Cup finals and I knew they were quite busy. I ordered the eggs benedict for brunch and I was pleasantly surprised at the big serving and how delicious it was. I don't drink beer not liking the bitter taste so I usually look for cider or lambic beer and they had it and I was happy. I had a great experience with the delicious food, the cold drink and the energetic atmosphere as we all enjoyed watching the World Cup. Enjoyed depending on which team you were rooting for of course.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/3/2014Booked a reservation through OpenTable and clearly noted that we were carrying in a kosher meal for one guest. When the rest of our food was served, the manager came to our table and announced that outside food was not allowed and that my kosher guest could not eat his food at the table. When I informed the manager that I had included this request in my reservation, rather than accept my word, she walked away to check if I was being truthful. The manager returned and announced to the whole table (again) that she would allow it this time but never again in the future. This should have been handled discreetly. Since they will not accommodate special dietary needs, we will not return. 'Tis a pity as the food and beer are quite good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/22/2014A group of 4 of us came for beer, food and to watch the US-Portugal World Cup match. The place was packed, with most people there seeming to be interested in the game. The beer selection was as good as we had hoped (and we had high hopes!), the food was very good, and the atmosphere for watching a World Cup game was fantastic. I'm not an expert on Belgian beers, but I thought the selection of drafts was great, and there were many choices in bottles. The Sunday "all you can eat" mussels is a great deal, and the endive and chicken entrees were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legitimate Belgian foodnomnomnomDined on 5/31/2014Having lived in Belgium for a year, I can attest to the authenticity of the food (and beer!) selection here. I ordered mussels in a white wine shallot sauce - the mussels were HUGE and the portion was perfectly sized - enough that if I hadn't eaten any of the accompanying fries I would have still been satisfied, but if I were absolutely starving the fries would have filled me up the rest of the way. The Belgian beer selection was phenomenal - I always just find it hard to fathom that those beers cost me $3-4 in Belgium and cost $11 here. But hey, they ARE delicious. Service was good - constantly coming around to refill our waters, but not overly pushy or rushing us either! Great find, and great food prices as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 79 reviews are from the BXL East reviews archive.
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We were here for brunch for Mother's Day. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the food was very good and reasonably priced. We had the french toast, which was excellent and was served with fresh berries, which was a wonderful accompaniment. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to have real maple syrup.Special Features:
- good foodmaysterDined on 5/9/2014been there twice and both times - pasta & meat sauce was divine... al dente w/ flavor... service first time was excellent and attentive / 2nd time - less than impressive considering the waiter basically forgot us ... still worth heading back for food ...Special Features:
- Good Mussels and BeerMKM11VIPDined on 4/30/2014Food was just OK, mussels very good, beer fresh. But the noise level was oppressively loud, even in the "quiet" back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Beer and frat boysJudgyDined on 4/28/2014I thought the mussels were very large in size, which is usually a sign of lower quality and the wine list was not very good. Overall it was OK.
- Great Belgian ExperienceTellyDined on 4/17/2014Now that Markt has been downsized by Apple Corp, it was wonderful to find BXL East. Our visit was for lunch to meet with friends. The front was very bright, which was good for someone with poor night vision like my self. Our server was wonderfu - explained esoteric menu items and took good care of us. The mussels appetizer was delicious and plenty of food for 4 people. Remember to ask for bread for the broth. Our meals were very tasty and the pommes frites were delicious. If you like Belgian beer and food, you'll enjoy BXL EastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon BelgiumCaesarsallyDined on 4/13/2014The mussels and beer are to die for in this Belgium Pub! An extensive list of on tap and bottled beer. Well versed and pleasant staff. Great menu and well prepared cuisine. The endive appetizer was amazing. We had 4 different over-flowing pots of flavored mussels, my favorite being Thai with lemongrass. Can't wait to visit this fun, delucious pub again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Belgians in New YorkMaartenDined on 4/8/2014Great to find belgian food in NY! A bit koud because there is also a bar in the restaurant but just good belgian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brussels GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014If you like mussels and beer, this place is a must!Special Features:
- Nice for small get togethersmaysterDined on 3/27/2014came here for co-workers lunch - portions were quite hearty - has a spaghetti bolognese which was surprisingly good to my surprise - looking forward to reordering that pasta when I return in another 2 weeks... croquettes were tasty (if you like a cheesey/buttery taste) - didn't taste any shrimp in the shrimp croquettes but still decent... there was a casual atmosphere but the noise level did increase substantially as the lunch crowd increased ... wait staff was quite pleasant and very responsive ... the price was quite reasonable considering midtown and the generous portions...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wind-down spot!BarbDined on 3/12/2014This was the perfect place after a long, stressful day of work! We settled in for the best mussels, fries and beer in town and were relaxed within minutes! Great service, great food, great fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Belgian CafeGerryDined on 3/6/2014Great beer, nurgers and the best fries in the world. Half the place spoke French. It was fun, loud and tastey. great lunch, great service and great fellow customers. If you don't know what Belgian is, think Parisian but sweet and better fries! Be careful Belgian beer is 50% stronger Try the Moules ( and say it right, MOOL) Have the frites.Special Features:
- Always busy, never packedGrubesDined on 2/28/2014People are never quite sure what to expect when I give the option of a Belgian restaurant for lunch or dinner. The best description I give is French-influenced food and German-style beers, and that mix really intrigues people. The times that I've been, I've had the mussels three different ways (I highly recommend the Gran Mere), the steak sandwich and the Bouchee a la Reine (my favorite dish). I've also tried a number of beers on their constantly rotating drafts, and they never disappoint. I have never seen the restaurant quiet, but it is never difficult to carry on a conversation. The service is also superb, even when the restaurant is in the throes of the lunch or dinner rush. I would highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE BXL EASTBrooklyn0822VIPDined on 2/26/2014Friendly staff. Great food. Great ambience. Where else would you go??!!Special Features:
- Nice little Belgian place and barMrCEVIPDined on 2/13/2014Greatt little Belgian bar/restaurant. While it had tables in the back, it is more of a bar atmosphere. It's affordable and the burgers are good. If you'd like to check out a relaxing cheap place in Midtown, this is your spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedJK24VIPDined on 2/12/2014It was loud, dark, our server was a bit ditzy and I don't believe the food was truly Belgium. I won't go back.Special Features:
- Delicious Belgian, day or night!scubaSteveDined on 2/8/2014I take everyone that I know here at some point. The food is consistently delicious -- my favorites are the pate, mussels, and the bolognese pasta -- the servers are wonderfully friendly, and the food is more than fairly priced. The brunch is bottomless on weekends (unlike at BXL Cafe on the west side!), with enough room to seat my group of 10!Special Features:
- good prix fixe mussels luncheatoutmaniacVIPDined on 1/21/2014felt like casual lunch in europe - bar up front with a small table area toward back. Small selection on prix fixe lunch menu - pate and mussels + beer was very tasty and good value. nice side street location away from the bustle of midtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and friendly staff.RockNRollBabyDined on 1/18/2014We went there Saturday evening fairly early as we were with two kids. We loved the food and so did they. We usually order for our kids from the normal menu (as most kids menu do not go further than nuggets and grilled cheese - and thank god this restaurant does not offer that). They had a nice pasta with lots of veggies. This place is on on our list for our at least go once when in NY.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant and friendly staffBrooklyn0822VIPDined on 12/30/2013Great restaurant, super friendly staff. This has become my go to place after work. LOVE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2013Food was good, but the beer was what really stood out! They have a fantastic selection of Belgian beers. The house beer is a great choice. I got the meatloaf and my date good some sort of chicken pot pie type dish. Both were good. They were playing a good 70's rock music selection and the music wasn't so loud that you didn't have to shout which was a nice change as it seems the trend these days is to play music way too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big family brunch-friendly!KritiKareVIPDined on 12/8/2013We had a party of many people and one-year-olds. We were treated like family and did not feel that we were a burden with the need for extra space for strollers or multiple food requests. We left a mess and they were happy to clean up after us. This felt very nice to not worry about the floor or our spilled glasses- they made us feel at home and welcomed the whole time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem!LaPeNYCDined on 11/30/2013Food was great, service was great ! Will definitely go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FeelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2013BXL looked unassuming from the outside, but instantly felt down to earth and inviting as soon as we entered, all Belgian beer signs and posters, a little tight. The impressive draft beer selection offered most of the well-known Belgian beers and then some, with dozens more in bottles. The service seemed a little scattered (5 people ended up waiting our table), but was great overall. The house beer is recommended, and all the food (mushroom croquettes, steak tips, and mussels) was both delicious and hearty, without feeling heavy. We'll definitely go back when we're in the neighborhood, especially since it's a nice change of pace for an area with lots of corporate and take-away restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Quality and Valuebrewdog66Dined on 11/24/2013Pleasantly greeted, our table was ready. Bartender, waitress, busman worked well as a team. Great selection of Belgian beers. Good Belgian beer is expensive, but the food selections at Sunday brunch were extensive and very reasonably priced. Most importantly, our eggs benedict, sirloin burger, accompanied by potatoes with caramelized onions and small salads were delicious, as was the fresh-baked bread that accompanied our meals. The chocolate mousse that we shared for dessert was rich, creamy and tasty. Our coffee and expresso after brunch were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent beer list. ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2013Excellent beer list. Really terrific French fires. Moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was wonderful. ServiceAshleyDined on 11/2/2013It was wonderful. Service was great, never had to wait for anything. Waitress suggested great mussels!Special Features: